PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers set a new team record

Necks_Fan
05-01-2008, 09:30 PM
for losses in April with 18.:clap:

:doh:

Well, Josh Hamilton is tearing it up at the plate and Sidney Ponson of all people, threw a gem today. What that means though, is that they have nowhere to go except down and the Rangers are already horrible, so look no further. The Rangers do and will suck miserably in 08.

:)

:stirpot: :2thumbsup

PHS Wildcats
05-01-2008, 09:37 PM
I told yod you they be eliminated by the end of April:clap:

Necks_Fan
05-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
I told yod you they be eliminated by the end of April:clap: "yod you they be eliminated"

?

:confused:

Is this a new language?

:D ;)

PHS Wildcats
05-01-2008, 09:42 PM
oops
told you:clap:

Necks_Fan
05-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
oops
told you:clap: Yea, I'm just teasing. Lol.

They really do suck though.

Bull19
05-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan

They really do suck though. compared to who?

Necks_Fan
05-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
compared to who? The league/ the rest of MLB.

coach
05-01-2008, 11:07 PM

Well, Josh Hamilton is tearing it up at the plate and Sidney Ponson of all people, threw a gem today. What that means though, is that they have nowhere to go except down and the Rangers are already horrible, so look no further. The Rangers do and will suck miserably in 08.

yeah but they are undefeated in the month of may!!!

eagles_victory
05-01-2008, 11:46 PM

:stirpot: :2thumbsup They only lost 17 games in April.

coach
05-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
They only lost 17 games in April.

ouch...good one ev way to be on top of things

Bull Butter
05-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Look at the bright side, they can still beat Houston and win the "silver shoe", or whatever it is and you people will think they won the World Series, like you do every year!

g$$
05-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Look at the bright side, they can still beat Houston and win the "silver shoe", or whatever it is and you people will think they won the World Series, like you do every year!

Silver Boot - & Houston is not great either but IMO will beat the Rangers in those 6 games (say 4-2 Houston). Rangers just have serious problems & Houston is not far behind them in that category. Both need pitching.

charlesrixey
05-02-2008, 09:43 AM
:(

my last game attended was the 99 game 3 against the yankees

little did i know that would be the highlight of their next decade

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Silver Boot - & Houston is not great either but IMO will beat the Rangers in those 6 games (say 4-2 Houston). Rangers just have serious problems & Houston is not far behind them in that category. Both need pitching.

pitching has actually been solid for Texas to this point especially the rotation..bullpen has been real hot and cold

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
pitching has actually been solid for Texas to this point especially the rotation..bullpen has been real hot and cold

The offense is showing some signs of life too outside of just Hamilton...getting the youngsters like Boggs and Duran who are just thrilled to be in the big leagues seems to have rubbed some enthusiasm off on some of the veteran players. May should be a very interesting month for the club.

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
The offense is showing some signs of life too outside of just Hamilton...getting the youngsters like Boggs and Duran who are just thrilled to be in the big leagues seems to have rubbed some enthusiasm off on some of the veteran players. May should be a very interesting month for the club.

Now if they can just get Duran in the right position!

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg

well, he hasn't exactly been hitting the cover off of the ball with his .211 batting average, so I wouldn't rush him into everyday duty or anything yet.

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 11:17 AM
well, he hasn't exactly been hitting the cover off of the ball with his .211 batting average, so I wouldn't rush him into everyday duty or anything yet.

True, his hitting hasn't been too great yet. I just don't like seeing him at 3rd. I guess with Blalock out somebody has to play 3rd though.

Silverback 04
05-02-2008, 12:29 PM

Actually, they have given up 178 runs, 20 something more than the next worst team (Detroit/152). They have had a shutout and a 1 run game in the last week however.

As a lifelong fan I prefer to put a positive spin on the early season, something like this: Yes, we set a record for April losses, and yes our defense really sucks. But after all of that we are only 6 1/2 games out. If this was October I'd be really happy with that!

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
Actually, they have given up 178 runs, 20 something more than the next worst team (Detroit/152). They have had a shutout and a 1 run game in the last week however.

As a lifelong fan I prefer to put a positive spin on the early season, something like this: Yes, we set a record for April losses, and yes our defense really sucks. But after all of that we are only 6 1/2 games out. If this was October I'd be really happy with that!

but look at the starters

three of the 5 have ERA lower than 4..Gabbard is at 2.15

Millwood has been what u need..a guy that eats innings..Pdilla has had really only one REAL bad start

Then u add the fact injuries have hit the rotation hard and you can see the rotation to this point of the season has not been the problem

In fact first 2 weeks of season the hitting and defense let the team down. Millwood should have 4-5 wins and in turn Texas would not have such a bad record

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04

How many unearned runs have the Rangers given up? I'd venture to guess it's 20 or higher.

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
How many unearned runs have the Rangers given up? I'd venture to guess it's 20 or higher.

Looks like 22 right now.

30 errors in 29 games.

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Looks like 22 right now.

30 errors in 29 games.

and errors can add to earned runs too when you have that many...pitchers wear down quicker, get frustrated, etc.

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Ok guys, let's make more excuses.

g$$
05-02-2008, 03:22 PM

162 game season - for both teams. Houston has 14 quality starts so far & is 13-16 on year. Lack of quality pitching depth tends to reveal itself the more you play.

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by g$$
162 game season - for both teams. Houston has 14 quality starts so far & is 13-16 on year. Lack of quality pitching depth tends to reveal itself the more you play. Houston's problem is their bullpen, not their starting pitching.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Ok guys, let's make more excuses.

huh?

g$$
05-02-2008, 03:27 PM

FYI: his brother is A&M's stud juco transfer SS, Jose Duran. Really good player & likely high draft pick this June.

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by g$$
FYI: his brother is A&M's stud juco transfer SS, Jose Duran. Really good player & likely high draft pick this June.

German is a great guy. Hopefully the Rangers don't screw him up!

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 03:29 PM
huh? I hear all this unearned run talk and how Millwood would have 4-5 wins.

I watched a game that Millwood pitched and he got ROCKED by the Twins.

4-5 wins? Doubt it.

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 03:30 PM
German is a great guy. Hopefully the Rangers don't screw him up!

I think he'll end up like Blalock did his first year in the bigs...play a month or so, then get sent back down for some seasoning the rest of the year, then come back and compete for a starting job somewhere next year.

g$$
05-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Houston's problem is their bullpen, not their starting pitching.

Yes, so far. But if you think a rotation of Oswalt/Backe/Wandy/Chacon/Sampson wins you pennants, then let's talk! Bullpen has been shaky no doubt. Offense has run hot & cold. Pence hasn't done much. Bourn is hitting below .200 & looks overmatched often, etc.

The Astros scored more runs last year than they did in WS year of 2005. Difference? Pitching, period.

Long way to go...

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 03:37 PM
I hear all this unearned run talk and how Millwood would have 4-5 wins.

I watched a game that Millwood pitched and he got ROCKED by the Twins.

4-5 wins? Doubt it.

he is 2-2 right now

first game of year he pitched well 6 innings gave up NO earned runs..lost

Game 2 complete game got the loss gave up two earned runs in 8 innings LOST

If offense and defense helps him in those two games alone he would be 4-0

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, so far. But if you think a rotation of Oswalt/Backe/Wandy/Chacon/Sampson wins you pennants, then let's talk! Bullpen has been shaky no doubt. Offense has run hot & cold. Pence hasn't done much. Bourn is hitting below .200 & looks overmatched often, etc.

The Astros scored more runs last year than they did in WS year of 2005. Difference? Pitching, period.

Long way to go... I never said they are going to win a pennant this year, but I was just saying that their problem has been relief not starting, like everyone was implying.

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
he is 2-2 right now

first game of year he pitched well 6 innings gave up NO earned runs..lost

Game 2 complete game got the loss gave up two earned runs in 8 innings LOST

If offense and defense helps him in those two games alone he would be 4-0 Everybody would be 4-0 if they had great offense and defense.

Chacon pitched 8 innings of 2 hit ball and no runs and went into the 9th with a 3-0 lead and somehow gets a ND and Houston loses. Now there's a real problem.

Wins/loss is overrrated anyway.

You can pitch 5 innings and give up 5 ER and still get a win, then Roy Halladay goes and pitches a CG 1ER and loses. ERA is a MUCH better stat.

g$$
05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
I never said they are going to win a pennant this year, but I was just saying that their problem has been relief not starting, like everyone was implying.

29/162 games...starting pitching over long haul will be below avg. Sorry, & I am a huge Astros fan! All the parts have to fit & we have holes. Cold reality. I hope I am wrong.

**Did you get Sweeny People reply?

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Everybody would be 4-0 if they had great offense and defense.

Chacon pitched 8 innings of 2 hit ball and no runs and went into the 9th with a 3-0 lead and somehow gets a ND and Houston loses. Now there's a real problem.

You can pitch 5 innings and give up 5 ER and still get a win, then Roy Halladay goes and pitches a CG 1ER and loses. ERA is a MUCH better stat.

and Kevin's ERA is not bad

g$$
05-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Everybody would be 4-0 if they had great offense and defense.

True.

ERA & WHIP are the 2 best stats for a pitcher.

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 04:04 PM
and Kevin's ERA is not bad

3.87 ERA for Millwood

5.75 ERA for Oswalt

just sayin'...

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 04:06 PM
and Kevin's ERA is not bad Ok. What is his ERA anyway? I'm not saying he's a bad pitcher, just pointing out all the excuses flying around.

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 04:08 PM
3.87 ERA for Millwood

5.75 ERA for Oswalt

just sayin'... I don't know what exactly Oswalt has to do with this conversation, but it's well known that Oswalt has struggled mightily.

I also don't come on here saying how he would be 5-0 if he had great offense and defense. I don't make excuses for him. He has sucked. What more do you want?

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 04:11 PM

I also don't come on here saying how he would be 5-0 if he had great offense and defense. I don't make excuses for him. He has sucked. What more do you want?

But that is just it..Millwood has not sucked

If before the season you told me Texas would have three starters with ERA under 4 I would say they would have had a great start to season record wise...No one was making excuses

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
But that is just it..Millwood has not sucked

If before the season you told me Texas would have three starters with ERA under 4 I would say they would have had a great start to season record wise...No one was making excuses Ok. That was also the whole point of this thread. They have good stats and still are not doing good. Nowhere to go but down.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Ok. That was also the whole point of this thread. They have good stats and still are not doing good. Nowhere to go but down.

With their farm system, I say they have nowhere to go but up..heck cant get lower than they are now

crzyjournalist03
Ok. That was also the whole point of this thread. They have good stats and still are not doing good. Nowhere to go but down.

?

Don't you mean up?

If the stats stay good, there's no way the team keeps losing 65% of their games.

g$$
3.87 ERA for Millwood

5.75 ERA for Oswalt

just sayin'...

Bottom line: who do you want on your team, Oswalt or Millwood right now? Oswalt has more wins in MLB since 2000 than anybody!

Roy started slow but has it going again after some adjustments to stride & using curve ball more again. I'm picking Oswalt.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Bottom line: who do you want on your team, Oswalt or Millwood right now? Oswalt has more wins in MLB since 2000 than anybody!

Roy started slow but has it going again after some adjustments to stride & using curve ball more again. I'm picking Oswalt.

Not a bad Q

Millwood career
135-103 3.97 ERA BA agianst .257 career WHIP 1.29

Oswalt
114-57 ERA 3.14 BA agianst .256 career whip 1.21

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by g$$

I agree...but that's kind of what my point was there.

Oswalt has had tremendous success over the years, but he's struggling right now. Millwood had a very good track record before signing with Texas, and now is completely healthy for the first time since coming here, and he's looked very good.

Oswalt is going to be good...although his numbers have risen slightly every year for the last few years, he's going to be fine...

But at the same time, Millwood, right now, has been a pitcher that looks like the guy who won the AL ERA title three years ago. Three years ago, these guys were very comparable. Rangers fans can at least hope that Millwood is moving his way back to that level.

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
?

Don't you mean up?

If the stats stay good, there's no way the team keeps losing 65% of their games. No. I meant exactly what I said. I don't expect their stats to stay that way. I expect them to stumble and fall even further into the hole of suckiness.

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 04:27 PM
No. I meant exactly what I said. I don't expect their stats to stay that way. I expect them to stumble and fall even further into the hole of suckiness.

Suckiness?

Wow...what evidence do you have to suggest that the teams numbers will go down and their record to fall even further?

You sound like a typical high school kid who simply hates one team and doesn't really have much of an argument other than you just don't like that team.

g$$
05-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I agree...but that's kind of what my point was there.

Oswalt has had tremendous success over the years, but he's struggling right now. Millwood had a very good track record before signing with Texas, and now is completely healthy for the first time since coming here, and he's looked very good.

Oswalt is going to be good...although his numbers have risen slightly every year for the last few years, he's going to be fine...

But at the same time, Millwood, right now, has been a pitcher that looks like the guy who won the AL ERA title three years ago. Three years ago, these guys were very comparable. Rangers fans can at least hope that Millwood is moving his way back to that level.

Good points, & Millwood played on very good ATL teams too. Difference is Oswalt is considerably younger. Look at Roy's career winning %...

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Good points, & Millwood played on very good ATL teams too. Difference is Oswalt is considerably younger. Look at Roy's career winning %...

yep 3 year difference is a lifetime in pitching

g$$
05-02-2008, 04:34 PM
yep 3 year difference is a lifetime in pitching

Actually quite a bit, depending on wear & tear over years. Millwood has had some injuries...

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Suckiness?

Wow...what evidence do you have to suggest that the teams numbers will go down and their record to fall even further?

You sound like a typical high school kid who simply hates one team and doesn't really have much of an argument other than you just don't like that team. No. Josh Hamilton is currently leading MLB in RBI's. I REALLY DO NOT EXPECT HIM TO CONTINUE THAT.

With him absolutle tearing it up at the plate and having a great start, I expect the Rangers to decline once he cools off.

Just for the record, I don't hate the Rangers. Just pointing out that they have pretty decent stats and are still horrible. I would actually like for them to do well.

What you sound like is a Rangers fan who refuses to accept reality and try to make your team sound better than they are by making excuses. And when all else fails, compare them to the 'Stros. That'll show those Houston fans eh?

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Actually quite a bit, depending on wear & tear over years. Millwood has had some injuries...

I was not being sarcastic..especially cause Millwood has had so many leg problems

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by g$$

yeah...I definitely wasn't trying to knock Oswalt in any way whatsoever. I was merely trying to point out that Millwood is actually a pretty good pitcher, which is something that a lot of people don't realize.

Oswalt also has played in the band box stadium in Houston his entire career which has probably inflated his numbers at least a little bit. I can't even imagine what his numbers would look like if he'd played in San Diego or Los Angeles his entire career.

I think a better comparison for Millwood is probably Andy Pettitte. I mentioned Oswalt earlier because I think it's fairly obvious that Necks_Fan has some serious homerism for Houston.

Pettitte and Millwood's career numbers are very comparable, and I haven't heard many people complain about Pettitte not being a good pitcher.

g$$
05-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Good points. AP played for great NY teams, period. Good but not great by any stretch.

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 04:40 PM
No. Josh Hamilton is currently leading MLB in RBI's. I REALLY DO NOT EXPECT HIM TO CONTINUE THAT.

With him absolutle tearing it up at the plate and having a great start, I expect the Rangers to decline once he cools off.

Just for the record, I don't hate the Rangers. Just pointing out that they have pretty decent stats and are still horrible. I would actually like for them to do well.

What you sound like is a Rangers fan who refuses to accept reality and try to make your team sound better than they are by making excuses. And when all else fails, compare them to the 'Stros. That'll show those Houston fans eh?

You could be in for a very big surprise...I haven't seen a single baseball expert, GM, or manager yet who thinks that Hamilton is going to "cool off"...sure, he may not hit .330 for the year, but he could very easily end up leading the majors in RBI, finish in the top 5-10 in homers, and hit above .300. That's very attainable for him.

If you'll read everything that I've posted in this thread, I haven't once tried to bash the Astros in any shape or form. I was merely trying to show you some points of comparison to think about.

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 04:43 PM
You could be in for a very big surprise...I haven't seen a single baseball expert, GM, or manager yet who thinks that Hamilton is going to "cool off"...sure, he may not hit .330 for the year, but he could very easily end up leading the majors in RBI, finish in the top 5-10 in homers, and hit above .300. That's very attainable for him.

If you'll read everything that I've posted in this thread, I haven't once tried to bash the Astros in any shape or form. I was merely trying to show you some points of comparison to think about. Well, I also didn't say you "bashed" the 'stros.

I would like to know how my "homerism" has affected this thread at all.

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Good points. AP played for great NY teams, period. Good but not great by any stretch.

Which may be where a lot of Ranger fans get ticked off...I think they have waited so long for an "ace" pitcher that having an "above average" pitcher just doesn't cut it for them. Looking around baseball today though, there are very few guys who have "ace" material. Put Millwood back in the NL though, and his ERA probably drops a little more. I bet that there are at least 25 teams in the majors who would really like to have Millwood on their staff right now.

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Which may be where a lot of Ranger fans get ticked off...I think they have waited so long for an "ace" pitcher that having an "above average" pitcher just doesn't cut it for them. Looking around baseball today though, there are very few guys who have "ace" material. Put Millwood back in the NL though, and his ERA probably drops a little more. I bet that there are at least 25 teams in the majors who would really like to have Millwood on their staff right now. Just throwing a player in the NL doesn't drop their ERA. Take a look at Barry Zito.

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Well, I also didn't say you "bashed" the 'stros.

I would like to know how my "homerism" has affected this thread at all.

It hasn't affected this thread, but it has affected your opinion of the Rangers. Look at what g$$ has written in this thread, then look at what you have written. You tell me who sounds more like they're giving a fair assessment.

Starting a thread with the intention of stirring the pot is always a way to show homerism.

waterboy
05-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Ron Washington will be gone by the end of May if the Rangers don't go at least .500 for the month. Don't know if it'll make a difference or not being as the pitching has been horrible most of the time, and on those nights when the pitching is decent the offense is just not there. Just a really bad combination of things going on with the Rangers. :dispntd:

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Just throwing a player in the NL doesn't drop their ERA. Take a look at Barry Zito.

Didn't say it drops everybody's...I'm just saying it probably drops Millwood's because of the type of pitcher he is. Overall, the NL generally produces lower team ERAs than the AL. Almost every NL pitcher who goes to the AL sees his ERA go up by a quarter to a half a run.

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 04:52 PM
It hasn't affected this thread, but it has affected your opinion of the Rangers. Look at what g$$ has written in this thread, then look at what you have written. You tell me who sounds more like they're giving a fair assessment.

Starting a thread with the intention of stirring the pot is always a way to show homerism. This thread was intended to be fun, not all loaded down with meaningless stats. That is, until we got the diehard Ranger fans to come and support their team no matter what.

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 05:00 PM

So this was supposed to just be "fun" and you didn't want Rangers fans to respond?

:rolleyes: Don't pretend for a second you didn't know what you were doing throwing that kind of stuff out there...:hand:

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 05:00 PM
. That is, until we got the diehard Ranger fans to come and support their team no matter what.

is that a bad thing?

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 05:05 PM
So this was supposed to just be "fun" and you didn't want Rangers fans to respond?

:rolleyes: Don't pretend for a second you didn't know what you were doing throwing that kind of stuff out there...:hand: No. That is my kind of fun. What's more fun than having a nice arguement with fans of permanent losers. It's a blast. I knew exactly what I was getting into. I said that I didn't mean for this to be a thread for g$$ to come and spew his unending statistical knowledge. Don't compare us. We are completely different. He's statistical.

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 05:06 PM
is that a bad thing? No, that's where it goes from fun, to hilarious.

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 05:11 PM
No. That is my kind of fun. What's more fun than having a nice arguement with fans of permanent losers. It's a blast. I knew exactly what I was getting into. I said that I didn't mean for this to be a thread for g$$ to come and spew his unending statistical knowledge. Don't compare us. We are completely different. He's statistical.

At least g$$ brings tangible evidence to his claims. Straight from the rules page:

"Use intelligence & wit. If all you have to offer is the tired old rah rah stuff, the vets on this site will tire of you quickly. Be prepared to offer facts and statistics to back up your claims."

If you're not willing to use facts and statistics to back up your claims, it just sounds like that tired old rah rah stuff that is nothing more than annoying. But I guess to you, that's still fun.

Permanent losers? It's a shame you were in kindergarten when the Rangers were raking in division titles. Those were seriously some fun times.

eagles_victory
05-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Can we get back to the original point of how necks was wrong when he said the Rangers lost 18 games in April? :D

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 05:13 PM
At least g$$ brings tangible evidence to his claims. Straight from the rules page:

"Use intelligence & wit. If all you have to offer is the tired old rah rah stuff, the vets on this site will tire of you quickly. Be prepared to offer facts and statistics to back up your claims."

If you're not willing to use facts and statistics to back up your claims, it just sounds like that tired old rah rah stuff that is nothing more than annoying. But I guess to you, that's still fun.

Permanent losers? It's a shame you were in kindergarten when the Rangers were raking in division titles. Those were seriously some fun times. Who uses stats here besides G$$ and WOS87.

It's also quite a shame that you cling to winning seasons upwards of10-12 years ago.

Quite a shame actually.:doh:

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Who uses stats here besides G$$ and WOS87.

It's also quite a shame that you cling to winning seasons upwards of10-12 years ago.

Only because you're young does that sound outrageous to you.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 05:15 PM

It is not like the Stros have 30 years of nothing but winning title

and BTW I might be the only one on this baord that is a fan of both teams

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Only because you're young does that sound outrageous to you. Sounds pretty pathetic actually.

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Sounds pretty pathetic actually.

you have a lot to learn.

So you mean that if your favorite team didn't make the playoffs more than three times every decade that you'd turn your back on them and find a "better" team to root for?

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 05:18 PM
It is not like the Stros have 30 years of nothing but winning title

and BTW I might be the only one on this baord that is a fan of both teams Way to bring the 'Stros back into the conversation when your arguement fails.

Congrats:clap:

Last I checked, this topic has nothing to do with Houston.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Way to bring the 'Stros back into the conversation when your arguement fails.

Congrats:clap:

Last I checked, this topic has nothing to do with Houston.

What argument of mine failed?

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 05:19 PM
you have a lot to learn.

So you mean that if your favorite team didn't make the playoffs more than three times every decade that you'd turn your back on them and find a "better" team to root for? Well, seeing as how I never said that. No.

I simply gave you congrats on clinging to the mid 90's.

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 05:21 PM
What argument of mine failed? I'm sorrry. Let me rephrase.

Way to bring Houston into the conversation when you have nothing better to do, except to try and make Houston look bad to make yourself feel better.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm sorrry. Let me rephrase.

Way to bring Houston into the conversation when you have nothing better to do, except to try and make Houston look bad to make yourself feel better.

uhhh did u not see what I said..I am a Stros/Ranger fan...I dont like one more than the other

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Well, seeing as how I never said that. No.

I simply gave you congrats on clinging to the mid 90's.

No you didn't...you gave no sort of congratulations. You called it "quite a shame" twice and "pathetic"

In fact, you've given this thread a whole pile of nothing since it started.

Now THAT'S pathetic...

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm sorrry. Let me rephrase.

Defensive much are we?

Quick...someone hand me a stick...he looks like he wants to bite!

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 05:26 PM
No you didn't...you gave no sort of congratulations. You called it "quite a shame" twice and "pathetic"

In fact, you've given this thread a whole pile of nothing since it started.

Now THAT'S pathetic... Technically, I created this thread, so I have given much more than you.

And, if you don't like that arguement. What exactly have you given that is so worthy?

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 05:27 PM
uhhh did u not see what I said..I am a Stros/Ranger fan...I dont like one more than the other

I'm sorry, let me re-rephrase.

"Way to bring Houston into the conversation when you have nothing better to do, except to try and make Houston look bad to make Rangers' fans feel better.

crzyjournalist03
05-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Technically, I created this thread, so I have given much more than you.

And, if you don't like that arguement. What exactly have you given that is so worthy?

Are you REALLY asking that question???

See you guys! My head hurts and the weekend is starting...:wave:

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Defensive much are we?

Quick...someone hand me a stick...he looks like he wants to bite! I was just pointing out that Houston had nothing to do with any of this, and no need to bring them in.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm sorry, let me re-rephrase.

"Way to bring Houston into the conversation when you have nothing better to do, except to try and make Houston look bad to make Rangers' fans feel better.

LOL and again..if I am a fan of both teams..why would I make one look bad to make the other team fan's feel better?

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Are you REALLY asking that question???

See you guys! My head hurts and the weekend is starting...:wave: Yea I am.

You have, made excuses for the Rangers sucking, argued with me, and argued some more.

Great job on being oh so valuable to this thread.

Necks_Fan
05-02-2008, 05:31 PM
LOL and again..if I am a fan of both teams..why would I make one look bad to make the other team fan's feel better? No reason, just because.

It's hard for me to know why you would do something.

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2008, 07:05 PM
No. I meant exactly what I said. I don't expect their stats to stay that way. I expect them to stumble and fall even further into the hole of suckiness.
I really shouldn't even dignify your disrespect to folks with a response, but I'm going to anyway. You have some nerve talking about the hole of suckiness, since you're a big Houston Texans fan. You piss people off and then you don't expect them to reply to you? :hand: :hand:

So your point in starting the thread was.......what? Talking about the suckiness of the Rangers in order to make YOURSELF feel better about the less than admirable season the Astros are having? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

g$$
05-03-2008, 04:25 AM
No. That is my kind of fun. What's more fun than having a nice arguement with fans of permanent losers. It's a blast. I knew exactly what I was getting into. I said that I didn't mean for this to be a thread for g$$ to come and spew his unending statistical knowledge. Don't compare us. We are completely different. He's statistical.

Are you trying to say that I am some stat geek? I use stats to back up what I say, but I am very comfortable in my knowledge of the game in whatever form you choose. Baseball & stats go hand in hand more than any other sport.

You want to talk strategy? Let's go...
HS/select/college/pro ball? Good deal...
Scouting/talent evaluation? Sounds great...
Stats? Fine too...
Analysis? Even better...

...you name it, I'm here if you so desire.

Don't take shots at me. I haven't taken any at you. I am objective & you are coming off as a homer. Don't blame me, Neck. I know who I am & where I have been. Baseball is my passion. I have played thru JC ball & worked in it at the highest level = MLB. Have you? That doesn't mean I know it all either. I try to learn more everyday. There are plenty of other things in life I know very little about too. I challenge you to ask anybody - ANYBODY - who knows me & see if they think I know ball. I am very comfortable with my track record in this regard.

Your verbal attack on me was uncalled for, whether it was intended or not. Keep me out of your baseless "fun" arguments (& not "arguements" btw as you constantly misspell it).

g$$
05-03-2008, 04:30 AM

Thanks for the compliment. I consider WOS87 a very intelligent & knowledgeable person (so do others I might add, check front page). He backs up his words with facts, #s, & knowledge, plus common sense, just as I do. If you want to compare IQs, I am all for that too, Neck. You are digging a bigger hole & barking up the wrong tree here.

You made yourself look like a fool in this thread & for that I feel sorry for you. I root for the Houston teams but maintain a sense of objectivity & reason. Keep me out of your "I'm having a blast" arguments. Got it?

g$$
05-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Didn't say it drops everybody's...I'm just saying it probably drops Millwood's because of the type of pitcher he is. Overall, the NL generally produces lower team ERAs than the AL. Almost every NL pitcher who goes to the AL sees his ERA go up by a quarter to a half a run.

Correct, good points. Replacing the pitcher with a DH certainly factors into this. Plus, in the past, AL ballparks were smaller & a more offensive game (Earl Weaver's 3-run HR approach). NL used to be more small ball, manufacture runs. The leagues are much more similar now. I prefer the strategy of the NL game personally with double switches, etc.

Other points:
1. Josh Hamilton is a stud. The guy was the #1 overall pick in 1999 (I think that's correct year) for a reason. He's a 5 tool guy (hit for avg., power, arm, defense, & speed). His drug problems & all derailed him for a while but he is back & better than ever. Good story all around. He can flat play & will only improve too.

2. Kevin Millwood is still a quality pitcher. Of course at least 25 teams would want him at right price. I wish Houston had him now to pair with Oswalt at top of rotation. Very few teams have true aces anyway (J. Santana, Webb, etc.).

3. Zito's struggle have nothing to do with changing leagues. His stuff is not the same anymore. He used to throw upper 80s with a nasty hook. Now he is low 80s & command is not pin-point, so small margin of error. Not much deception in pitches with loss in velocity. He was helped in OAK by being sandwiched between Hudson & Mulder. He does not have true #1 stuff & now his confidence is shot. He signed the huge contract & the expectations are killing him. Giants were stupid to give him that kind of $$ (like $126 million).

My 2 cents, carry on...

g$$
05-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I really shouldn't even dignify your disrespect to folks with a response, but I'm going to anyway. You have some nerve talking about the hole of suckiness, since you're a big Houston Texans fan. You piss people off and then you don't expect them to reply to you? :hand: :hand:

So your point in starting the thread was.......what? Talking about the suckiness of the Rangers in order to make YOURSELF feel better about the less than admirable season the Astros are having? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:clap:

That about sums it up, huh? I think that means pipe down Necks_Fan.

Be nice to my Astros LHPM, we're in a state of flux trying to stay competitive! And the Texans just might push for a playoff spot too (seriously, finally). Just messing with ya.

Silverback 04
05-03-2008, 09:31 AM
but look at the starters

three of the 5 have ERA lower than 4..Gabbard is at 2.15

Millwood has been what u need..a guy that eats innings..Pdilla has had really only one REAL bad start

Then u add the fact injuries have hit the rotation hard and you can see the rotation to this point of the season has not been the problem

In fact first 2 weeks of season the hitting and defense let the team down. Millwood should have 4-5 wins and in turn Texas would not have such a bad record

Agreed. Thus my comment on the crappy defense. With the exception of Jennings, the starting pitching has been better than expected, thankfully. If not we wouldn't have won 5 games because the offense has also sucked.

But in the end, all these things must come together in order to win, that includes health. History is full of teams that under performed because of injuries but its just something that must be dealt with.

And again with positive spin, we're only 5 1/2 games out.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Correct, good points. Replacing the pitcher with a DH certainly factors into this. Plus, in the past, AL ballparks were smaller & a more offensive game (Earl Weaver's 3-run HR approach). NL used to be more small ball, manufacture runs. The leagues are much more similar now. I prefer the strategy of the NL game personally with double switches, etc.

Other points:
1. Josh Hamilton is a stud. The guy was the #1 overall pick in 1999 (I think that's correct year) for a reason. He's a 5 tool guy (hit for avg., power, arm, defense, & speed). His drug problems & all derailed him for a while but he is back & better than ever. Good story all around. He can flat play & will only improve too.

2. Kevin Millwood is still a quality pitcher. Of course at least 25 teams would want him at right price. I wish Houston had him now to pair with Oswalt at top of rotation. Very few teams have true aces anyway (J. Santana, Webb, etc.).

3. Zito's struggle have nothing to do with changing leagues. His stuff is not the same anymore. He used to throw upper 80s with a nasty hook. Now he is low 80s & command is not pin-point, so small margin of error. Not much deception in pitches with loss in velocity. He was helped in OAK by being sandwiched between Hudson & Mulder. He does not have true #1 stuff & now his confidence is shot. He signed the huge contract & the expectations are killing him. Giants were stupid to give him that kind of $$ (like $126 million).

My 2 cents, carry on... some very good points. Zito throwing right at 80 mph for his fastball :eek:

LH Panther Mom
05-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by g$$
:clap:

That about sums it up, huh? I think that means pipe down Necks_Fan.

Be nice to my Astros LHPM, we're in a state of flux trying to stay competitive! And the Texans just might push for a playoff spot too (seriously, finally). Just messing with ya.
You get it. ;)

I'm an Astros fan, and though I don't get to watch much, I pay enough attention to know that THIS year isn't such a good time to talk about the "suckiness" :rolleyes: of someone else's team......ESPECIALLY in the manner it was done.

Necks_Fan
05-04-2008, 01:46 AM
Houston 15-16 now?

G$$, I couldn't care less what you or anyone else on this forum personallythinks about me, considering that noen of you have even come close to meeting the real me.

Note* People are too uptight, quick to be defensive, and then people who are normally nice turn quite nasty in Pms. Amazing how things work.

Lighten up people.

eagles_victory
05-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Houston 15-16 now?

G$$, I couldn't care less what you or anyone else on this forum personallythinks about me, considering that noen of you have even come close to meeting the real me.

Note* People are too uptight, quick to be defensive, and then people who are normally nice turn quite nasty in Pms. Amazing how things work.

Lighten up people. There is a good argument with a little pot stirring and there is taking it too far and being a complete nuisance. If you saw how bad some of the stuff you are saying looks from the outside looking in and how uncoof sp? and tacky it looks you would understand why everyone is saying what they are saying.

Silverback 04
05-04-2008, 02:40 PM
i'm gettin' a headache. Think I need a beer.