PDA

View Full Version : DBU @ A&M baseball...

g$$
05-01-2008, 08:47 PM
3 game series Thurs.-Sat. @ CS

Dallas Baptist is a quality team who will probably make NCAA Regional play. They came ready to play tonight, putting it on Ags.

12-2 DBU top of 8th

(Neck_06 is now pitching for A&M, entered in 7th inning...)

g$$
05-01-2008, 08:49 PM
MODS: please merge with other thread. Sorry I did not see it before creating this one. Thanks.

g$$
05-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Now 12-6 in 9th...

Neck_06 had a good outing. He had not pitched in a while & pitched pretty well Thurs. night. Hope he gets some weekend time soon.

3 IP
6 H
1 R
1 ER
0 walks
3 Ks

Nice job giving team a chance to come back.

g$$
05-01-2008, 09:38 PM
DBU takes game 1 of series, congrats to them.

DBU 12 20 1
A&M 6 11 0
Final

PurplePride2006
05-01-2008, 10:22 PM
DBU is a great team, member of Canyon state semi-finalists team Michael Crabtree graduated for them last season

g$$
05-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by PurplePride2006
DBU is a great team, member of Canyon state semi-finalists team Michael Crabtree graduated for them last season

DBU has been a solid baseball program for years. Ags need to take the next 2 games & win the series. Starting pitcher Thurs. is not a normal weekend starter anymore (Rivers). He's had a rough year & battled some injuries too. I would not expect to see him much more this season after tonight's outing either. He gave up 5 ER in 2+ IP. Raley, Loux, & Ehlert are the weekend starters as of the past few weeks.

Panther One
05-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by g$$
DBU has been a solid baseball program for years. Ags need to take the next 2 games & win the series. Starting pitcher Thurs. is not a normal weekend starter anymore (Rivers). He's had a rough year & battled some injuries too. I would not expect to see him much more this season after tonight's outing either. He gave up 5 ER in 2+ IP. Raley, Loux, & Ehlert are the weekend starters as of the past few weeks.
I'm guessing Childress didn't want to get the weekend guys out of their routine by moving them up a day. Cravey and Gerald made rare appearances on the mound and Minks made his first start in a month. It was a good chance to see what those guys could do against a likely tournament team, although taking one on the chin was rough. I'd like to see Minks get some innings against Sam Houston and UTA in the next two midweek games. And like I said on the other thread, Rivers would probably be best used as a situational lefty from here on out.

g$$
05-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
I'm guessing Childress didn't want to get the weekend guys out of their routine by moving them up a day. Cravey and Gerald made rare appearances on the mound and Minks made his first start in a month. It was a good chance to see what those guys could do against a likely tournament team, although taking one on the chin was rough. I'd like to see Minks get some innings against Sam Houston and UTA in the next two midweek games. And like I said on the other thread, Rivers would probably be best used as a situational lefty from here on out.

Exactly what it was I believe. Nice to see Minks make an appearance (Rivers got the start). Childress has buried him lately after using him a lot early in season. I would like to see him used more in some upcoming games too & get his confidence back again. Minks has good stuff & can help A&M in the playoffs. I've watched Shane pitch since he was 11-12 years old. He just needs to pitch & get his confidence back/feel for his pitches again on the bump. Very talented kid & athlete.

I think Heard is the new situational lefty guy now after last weekend. Rivers may not see much time from here on out IMO except as a PR.

Hope we show up re-focused Friday night after that butt-kicking by DBU!

NastySlot
05-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Exactly what it was I believe. Nice to see Minks make an appearance (Rivers got the start). Childress has buried him lately after using him a lot early in season. I would like to see him used more in some upcoming games too & get his confidence back again. Minks has good stuff & can help A&M in the playoffs. I've watched Shane pitch since he was 11-12 years old. He just needs to pitch & get his confidence back/feel for his pitches again on the bump. Very talented kid & athlete.

I think Heard is the new situational lefty guy now after last weekend. Rivers may not see much time from here on out IMO except as a PR.

Hope we show up re-focused Friday night after that butt-kicking by DBU!

is this Heard the son of the Montegomery baseball coach...If it is I believe his dad played at A&M also.

Bull19
05-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
is this Heard the son of the Montegomery baseball coach...If it is I believe his dad played at A&M also. yes

c-town_balla
05-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I think DBU would compete in the Big 12. As would most other low level D1 baseball schools in Texas.

NastySlot
05-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
I think DBU would compete in the Big 12. As would most other low level D1 baseball schools in Texas.

I totally agree with you and was telling my son that the Big XII should let them join for baseball only.....when I was growing the PAC 10 had a north zone and south zone for baseball only and Gonzaga was in the north zone....the south was strong with both arizona schools and usc.......since colorado and iowa state don't play let them in .

g$$
05-01-2008, 11:40 PM
is this Heard the son of the Montegomery baseball coach...If it is I believe his dad played at A&M also.

Yes, & dad has been at Montgomery a long time too. Heard was a fine LHP/OF in hs playing for his dad. You are correct on both accounts as dad is an Aggie former player too.

NastySlot
05-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, & dad has been at Montgomery a long time too. Heard was a fine LHP/OF in hs playing for his dad. You are correct on both accounts as dad is an Aggie former player too.

I was in the area when Heard went to Montegomery...they turned into a baseball power with him....I remember they were 3A when he got there....saw them play a very good Crockett team at Olsen field in playoffs.....if I have my years right I believe Crockett went on to win the State Title that season.

g$$
05-01-2008, 11:46 PM
I totally agree with you and was telling my son that the Big XII should let them join for baseball only.....when I was growing the PAC 10 had a north zone and south zone for baseball only and Gonzaga was in the north zone....the south was strong with both arizona schools and usc.......since colorado and iowa state don't play let them in .

But what do y'all mean by "low level D1 schools"? Are you saying that UTSA, Sam Houston, SFA, SWT, etc. could compete in the Big 12 week-in & week-out? Not 1 game here & there, but 27 conference games? No way. Those teams do not have the pitching depth to handle those weekends, plus the cumulative effect wears you down. Sam battled last year in Ole Miss's Regional. As pitching depth got thin, the scores went up in the teens. Just not the depth of arms. Give Sam credit but they ran out of gas.

DBU is an exception. DBU beat Rice once earlier this year. They are a true baseball school who can play. They still don't usually have the pitching depth like an A&M, Rice, or other D1 powers. But over 1-2 games they can play with almost anybody.

g$$
05-02-2008, 01:08 AM
More to the point about DBU:

30-13 on year after Thursday's win
...w/ wins over Rice (twice), Oral Roberts, Baylor & Texas A&M
*(rained out vs. Texas earlier in year March 10th)

--A&M leads all-time series 17-5
--DBU has 3 wins this year over top 10 teams
--now 2-3 vs. Big 12 on year

http://www.aggieathletics.com/pressRelease.php?PRID=14475&SID=MBA&fg=1

Texas A&M (38-8 on year):
--A&M is 4-1 vs. ranked teams
--team .325 batting avg.
--team 3.67 ERA (as of Thurs. tops in Big 12)
--ranked #5, 6, 6 & 10 in 4 major polls
--RPI #8 entering Thursday's game

hookandladder
05-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by g$$
More to the point about DBU:

30-13 on year after Thursday's win
...w/ wins over Rice (twice), Oral Roberts, Baylor & Texas A&M
*(rained out vs. Texas earlier in year March 10th)

--A&M leads all-time series 17-5
--DBU has 3 wins this year over top 10 teams
--now 2-3 vs. Big 12 on year

http://www.aggieathletics.com/pressRelease.php?PRID=14475&SID=MBA&fg=1

Texas A&M (38-8 on year):
--A&M is 4-1 vs. ranked teams
--team .325 batting avg.
--team 3.67 ERA (as of Thurs. tops in Big 12)
--ranked #5, 6, 6 & 10 in 4 major polls
--RPI #8 entering Thursday's game

Bottom line if the Aggies can not take 2 out of 3 games from DBU then their chances of making it to the CWS is slim. The elite college's in the country main goal is to win a National Championship, not to just compete well during the season or a conference championship. In baseball if you get hot at the right time anything can happen. Take Texas for an example, year in and year out normally start slow after a few games of moving kids around and by seasons end are rolling. I know this year it is not happening but the season is not over.

Bull19
05-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Bottom line if the Aggies can not take 2 out of 3 games from DBU then their chances of making it to the CWS is slim. :thinking: :thinking: :confused: :confused:

3afan
05-02-2008, 08:05 AM
DBU is a great team....

they're a mid-level DI team, at best .... they may slip into the NCAAs as an at-large, SOS will definitely hurt them ... but this win will certainly help

eagles72
05-02-2008, 08:26 AM

I believe Michael Crabtree graduated from HBU.

NastySlot
05-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Bottom line if the Aggies can not take 2 out of 3 games from DBU then their chances of making it to the CWS is slim. The elite college's in the country main goal is to win a National Championship, not to just compete well during the season or a conference championship. In baseball if you get hot at the right time anything can happen. Take Texas for an example, year in and year out normally start slow after a few games of moving kids around and by seasons end are rolling. I know this year it is not happening but the season is not over.

catch a clue...year in year out texas doesn't start out slow. and so what if DBU takes the series...the aggies chances don't get any slimmer................and I guess according to you the non-elite schools that play baseball have other goals in mind....not winning a national championship...............I have a feeling you couldn't name an elite baseball school that wasn't rice or texas.......just go back to griping about the lagrange coach.

Bull19
05-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
they're a mid-level DI team, at best .... they may slip into the NCAAs as an at-large, SOS will definitely hurt them ... but this win will certainly help sos will not hurt them. their rpi from pingbaseball.com has them listed at 34 and it will most likely go up next week

DBU is a very good baseball team

already beating the ags once this year, and rice twice puts them in my book as more than just an average baseball team

NastySlot
05-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
they're a mid-level DI team, at best .... they may slip into the NCAAs as an at-large, SOS will definitely hurt them ... but this win will certainly help

I will agree that they are a mid level team....but after the top four or five teams in the Big XII so are the rest that make up the conference..............I would think that if DBU were in the BigXII as a baseball only school they would be very competitive...think about it recruiting would improve and it's not bad now......facilities aren't that bad..........as the premier sport on that campus and in the Big XII funding from alumni would increase...cause series wins over any the Texas base Big XII schools is a feather in the hat. DBU has a great history actually if you think about they have pretty much always been solid.

hookandladder
05-02-2008, 12:37 PM
catch a clue...year in year out texas doesn't start out slow. and so what if DBU takes the series...the aggies chances don't get any slimmer................and I guess according to you the non-elite schools that play baseball have other goals in mind....not winning a national championship...............I have a feeling you couldn't name an elite baseball school that wasn't rice or texas.......just go back to griping about the lagrange coach.

Thank You Mr. Baseball and where did you play. Stonewall U.

NastySlot
05-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Thank You Mr. Baseball and where did you play. Stonewall U.

dang that was a good one...stonewall u......fact is i have probably played enough baseball and coached enough...to say i have forgotten more then you know....or at least thats the impression you give with all your baseball post. now go and google in baseball and come back on here with something really good............fact is the series with DBU for the aggies isn't going to increase or decrease their chances of getting to omaha.......the next four to five weekends will determine the aggies chances of getting to omaha.......in case you have no clue what the next few weekends are ....they are road series with nebraska...which might just determine the regular season champ........big one with texas the following and if texas can't fight through their turmoil...they can playball.......then its the Big XII tourney which if i need to explain the importance of a good showing...then i was right about you and what you know about college baseball..........then its a regional....then maybe a super regional...which then you might be right about the the aggies chances of getting to omaha..........and if the pull off enough wins to get to omaha it will be a week of baseball.........but maybe the aggies and the other non-elite schools shouldn't be thinking about omaha....cause that according to you is reserved for the elite.....name two?

hookandladder
05-02-2008, 01:14 PM
dang that was a good one...stonewall u......fact is i have probably played enough baseball and coached enough...to say i have forgotten more then you know....or at least thats the impression you give with all your baseball post. now go and google in baseball and come back on here with something really good............fact is the series with DBU for the aggies isn't going to increase or decrease their chances of getting to omaha.......the next four to five weekends will determine the aggies chances of getting to omaha.......in case you have no clue what the next few weekends are ....they are road series with nebraska...which might just determine the regular season champ........big one with texas the following and if texas can't fight through their turmoil...they can playball.......then its the Big XII tourney which if i need to explain the importance of a good showing...then i was right about you and what you know about college baseball..........then its a regional....then maybe a super regional...which then you might be right about the the aggies chances of getting to omaha..........and if the pull off enough wins to get to omaha it will be a week of baseball.........but maybe the aggies and the other non-elite schools shouldn't be thinking about omaha....cause that according to you is reserved for the elite.....name two?

Been to Omaha 3 out of the last 5 years, was their when a good friend mind was playing right field for the National Champion Texas Longhorns who also was my sons hitting instructor. Was also their when Rice won it all, knew the right and left fielders parents pretty well. Back again when Texas won it with a couple of our Summer Babe Ruth pitchers ( Kasparek and Boone). After playing baseball in High School, College and Semi-Pro I feel pretty confident with my knowledge of the game, but 1 can always learn from someone more knowledgeable like yourself. Also had another friend play for DBU. I do know how the college playoffs work, played in them and have followed Texas Baseball for many years.

NastySlot
05-02-2008, 01:25 PM
check your pm's.

neck_06
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
DBU could compete in the big xii. i'd say they'd finish 5th-7th this year...

g$$
05-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
DBU could compete in the big xii. i'd say they'd finish 5th-7th this year...

Exactly what I said in earlier post - DBU would not challenge for Big 12 title because of pitching depth but they could compete & beat some people any given game. Better right now than some of the lower schools in Big 12 standings. Now have beaten Rice (twice), A&M, & Baylor, plus Oral Roberts (another good private school in baseball). Neck_06 might just know a thing or 2 since he has pitched against them & others, huh?

Hook: you make some good points & I can see you know ball (Dustin Majewski huh?), but you are not realizing that DBU was a NAIA power for years (including NCs in that division) before moving up to D1 last year. They can play. Now, I think the Ags bounce back & take the series, but this happens in NCAA baseball. Oregon St. struggled last year for most of the season then got hot & won it again. Texas has lost to UTA & UTSA this year, among others. Parity is in full effect in D1 baseball. With 11.7 scholarships to divide up for the whole team plus the MLB draft, kids are spread out everywhere. Some jucos could compete at a D1 level given the pitching talent waiting to be drafted. Totaly different sport than the others. Upper level jucos are top-notch in talent. The main reasons they get these players are wanting to be drafted sooner (don't have to wait 3 years like at D1), grades, or injuries. Not a talent question. I played juco ball in this state & there is lots of talent waiting on a chance to go D1 or be drafted.

All that said, beat DBU Ags & get back on track!

g$$
05-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
sos will not hurt them. their rpi from pingbaseball.com has them listed at 34 and it will most likely go up next week

DBU is a very good baseball team

already beating the ags once this year, and rice twice puts them in my book as more than just an average baseball team

Exactly, well said.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Exactly what I said in earlier post - DBU would not challenge for Big 12 title because of pitching depth but they could compete & beat some people any given game. Better right now than some of the lower schools in Big 12 standings. Now have beaten Rice (twice), A&M, & Baylor, plus Oral Roberts (another good private school in baseball). Neck_06 might just know a thing or 2 since he has pitched against them & others, huh?

Hook: you make some good points & I can see you know ball (Dustin Majewski huh?), but you are not realizing that DBU was a NAIA power for years (including NCs in that division) before moving up to D1 last year. They can play. Now, I think the Ags bounce back & take the series, but this happens in NCAA baseball. Oregon St. struggled last year for most of the season then got hot & won it again. Texas has lost to UTA & UTSA this year, among others. Parity is in full effect in D1 baseball. With 11.7 scholarships to divide up for the whole team plus the MLB draft, kids are spread out everywhere. Some jucos could compete at a D1 level given the pitching talent waiting to be drafted. Totaly different sport than the others. Upper level jucos are top-notch in talent. The main reasons they get these players are wanting to be drafted sooner (don't have to wait 3 years like at D1), grades, or injuries. Not a talent question. I played juco ball in this state & there is lots of talent waiting on a chance to go D1 or be drafted.

if they did compete in Big 12..have to assume they would recruit better and thus get the depth

g$$
05-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
if they did compete in Big 12..have to assume they would recruit better and thus get the depth

True, but look at schools like K-State & others. They have fine facilities & still struggle. It all has to come together. A&M was down for a few years until Childress took over for Mark Johnson, who had a great run & 2 CWS appearances but the program stagnated. DBU can play, no argument here. They have not even listed a Game 3 starter yet - that should tell you about their pitching depth. Guys on A&M's team not seeing the field would be playing a lot there. It's a depth issue for them in all reality.

hookandladder
05-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by g$$

There is a reason why some of your top notch program's get beat during the middle of the week games, this is normally where coaches will pitch kids that never see the field in conference games also position players as well. Good coaches are willing to take this chance to develope depth on a team. Parity does have something to do with it however when say USTA comes to play Texas in a middle of the week game you can bet UTSA is going to pitch one of their best pitchers.

g$$
05-02-2008, 03:46 PM
There is a reason why some of your top notch program's get beat during the middle of the week games, this is normally where coaches will pitch kids that never see the field in conference games also position players as well. Good coaches are willing to take this chance to develope depth on a team. Parity does have something to do with it however when say USTA comes to play Texas in a middle of the week game you can bet UTSA is going to pitch one of their best pitchers.

Absolutely, we both know this. Gotta develop depth. But, those teams you mentioned don't always do that. They are trying to win their conference too & have weekend starters. You will see them use their Sun. starter on Tues. sometimes in a big game. Now with the condensed schedule it takes more arms. Weekend games mean more to them too. It goes both ways. Getting to NCAA Regionals is the goal & then go from there.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by g$$
True, but look at schools like K-State & others. They have fine facilities & still struggle. It all has to come together. A&M was down for a few years until Childress took over for Mark Johnson, who had a great run & 2 CWS appearances but the program stagnated. DBU can play, no argument here. They have not even listed a Game 3 starter yet - that should tell you about their pitching depth. Guys on A&M's team not seeing the field would be playing a lot there. It's a depth issue for them in all reality.

yes but does K-State have a recruiting base like DFW and North Texas to find players like DBU does?

g$$
05-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
yes but does K-State have a recruiting base like DFW and North Texas to find players like DBU does?

Sure, but A&M had that base & more yet was down big-time. DBU would have to increase budget exponentially to recruit, travel & compete at that high level. Conference is 27 games alone. War of attrition after a while.

I like DBU but a few select games does not a season make!

Panther One
05-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Rarely will any of the SLC teams throw their ace during a midweek game once their conference season has begun. When teams like Tx State, UTA, Sam Houston, etc matchup with the top tier teams during the week, it's midweek starter vs midweek starter.

c-town_balla
05-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't dig into a&m losing this seires (if they do) the finals week set could cause trouble for guys. The last time Texas won the CWS they got swept by a pretty mediocer NC State team in that week and it really didn't bother them.

g$$
05-03-2008, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
Rarely will any of the SLC teams throw their ace during a midweek game once their conference season has begun. When teams like Tx State, UTA, Sam Houston, etc matchup with the top tier teams during the week, it's midweek starter vs midweek starter.

Panther knows his stuff. He said it better than I did above! He's absolutely right about mid-week starters once conference play begins.

I remember one year LSU got swept by Northwestern State (Louisiana school). This was in LSU's heyday in the '90s. They went on to win another CWS that year. It's baseball & it happens sometimes. If say Boston loses a series to a lesser MLB team it's not a huge deal. That's why they play 162 & you ride the peaks & valleys. You sure hope the peaks last longer than the valleys though.

A&M bounced back to drill DBU 9-4 Friday night. Game 3 is Sat. afternoon. Take the series Ags!