PDA

View Full Version : The 1970 Cotton Bowl Game!

Phil C
05-01-2008, 01:07 PM
This was a great classic game between No. 1 Texas and No. 8 ranked Notre Dame. It was to cinch the National Championship for Texas for the 1969 year. What added to the atmosphere was that Texas was undefeated and untied and Notre Dame also had a great season ending up strong at the end of the year. In a surprise move Notre Dame decided to participate in the bowls after 45 years and the Cotton Bowl grabbed them (Penn State was the first choice but they chose to have fun in the sun at the Orange Bowl). Everyone knew it would be a great game becaue UT was No. 1 and Notre Dame was determined play good in their first bowl game in 45 years. In the fourth quarter UT scored a td to take the lead 17 to 10 with about 10 minutes left. But Notre Dame came back with a td with 7 minutes left to go ahead 17 to 14 with almost 7 minutes left.
Then UT did another famous drive starting at their own 24 yard line. They moved up the field and were to have two critical fourth and 2 situations on the way. The first one was at the Notre Dame 20 and they needed to get to the 18 yard line. UT had a good field goal kicker but even if he made it and tied it up they knew time would be a factor and a tie would cost them the National Championship so they went for it. Ted Koy ran to his right and pushed foward for 2 yards. Would it be enough. The ball was placed down at the 18 and a measurement came. By about half an inch UT made a first down and the drive continued.
UT had a fourth and two from the 10 and they went for it. Quarterback James Street threw a low pass to Cotton Speyrer who caught the ball on a dive at the two and gave UT life at the Notre Dame 2. Three plays later Billy Dale made the winning td with 1min8secons to give UT the lead for good at 21 to 17. Notre Dame passed and got into UT territory but an interception killed the drive and the National Championship was won.

NastySlot
05-01-2008, 01:26 PM
ok...i was only four years old ...so i really don't know...but isn't this the texas team that was awarded the national title by president nixon after the arkansas game?....and didn't one of the polls already declare texas the champions...cause the poll final before the bowls....ap or upi????

HippoBaseball05
05-01-2008, 01:31 PM
The 1970 MNC.

t.u. went 10-0 going into the Cotton Bowl vs. #6 Notre Dame and promptly lost 24-11.

They were still awarded the trophy anyway.

Bull Butter
05-01-2008, 02:16 PM
As much as I hate Notre Dame, I still have to say the 1979 Cotton Bowl was the most memorable ever:mad:

Phil C
05-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
ok...i was only four years old ...so i really don't know...but isn't this the texas team that was awarded the national title by president nixon after the arkansas game?....and didn't one of the polls already declare texas the champions...cause the poll final before the bowls....ap or upi????

Yes. But UT won this bowl game.

Phil C
05-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05
The 1970 MNC.

t.u. went 10-0 going into the Cotton Bowl vs. #6 Notre Dame and promptly lost 24-11.

This happened at the 1971 Cotton Bowl game.

HippoBaseball05
05-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
This happened at the 1971 Cotton Bowl game.

I know.

But isn't that the 1970 MNC?

The 1969 MNC was awarded after the Arkansas game before the C.B.

*Also, I was at the '79 C.B. Earl's last game. Joe Montana was a fish.

:cool:

LionKing
05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I know.

:cool: The title of thread is about the 1970 Cotton Bowl game, not the 1970 MNC, the original post also says Texas was the winner of the 1969 MNC, not the 1970 MNC.

Bull Butter
05-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I know.

:cool:

You're thinking of the 1978 Cotton Bowl in which ND (behind Junior Joe Montana) defeated Texas 38-14. Heisman trophy winner Earl Campbell's last game.

The 1979 Cotton Bowl which I was speaking of was between ND and Houston, Joe Montana's last college game that he spent much of the time in the locker room with hypothermia and the flu. (game time temp was 22 degrees). He ate a bunch of chicken soup and came back out on the field and brought ND back from a 34-12 deficit in the last 7 1/2 minutes to win 35-34 on the game's final play.:mad:

c-town_balla
05-01-2008, 11:29 PM
The 1970 MNC.

I’m fairly certain it spelled UT or Texas or University of Texas or The University of Texas at Austin or any other moniker you could think of besides tu

Bull Butter
05-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
I’m fairly certain it spelled UT or Texas or University of Texas or The University of Texas at Austin or any other moniker you could think of besides tu

You know, no one has EVER brought that up on 3A Downlow before:confused:

And yet another UT-A&M "lovefest" begins:eek:

Gobbla2001
05-01-2008, 11:33 PM

t.u.

haha

they're kind enough to give us a second name... we'll take both, since you chose neither... Ag and Molestation of Sheep

NastySlot
05-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla

I usually don't use t.u. unless talking with other aggies....i usually say horns or texas..........don't want to tick of the horn fans......you know the ones that referred to us as aggsy.......or is it agsy.....and i have no idea where that spelling came from or even how it sounds when pronounced.

HippoBaseball05
05-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
You're thinking of the 1978 Cotton Bowl in which ND (behind Junior Joe Montana) defeated Texas 38-14. Heisman trophy winner Earl Campbell's last game.

The 1979 Cotton Bowl which I was speaking of was between ND and Houston, Joe Montana's last college game that he spent much of the time in the locker room with hypothermia and the flu. (game time temp was 22 degrees). He ate a bunch of chicken soup and came back out on the field and brought ND back from a 34-12 deficit in the last 7 1/2 minutes to win 35-34 on the game's final play.:mad:

You're right. It was the '78 Cotton Bowl. I was nine so give me a break.

:D

I just remember it being the perfect sports weekend since it was the other half of going to the N.F.C. Championship Game in which Dallas beat the Vikings 23-6.

Bull Butter
05-01-2008, 11:50 PM
You're right. It was the '78 Cotton Bowl. I was nine so give me a break.

:D

I just remember it being the perfect sports weekend since it was the other half of going to the N.F.C. Championship Game in which Dallas beat the Vikings 23-6.

I was 15 at the time but I learned to hate Notre Dame at an early age. (one of my favorite NCAA memories is USC, behind Anthony Davis hanging 55 on ND in the 2nd half in 1974 en route to a 55-24 win:)

g$$
05-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Good thread. Bull Butter had the dates right. Both of those Cotton Bowls in 1978 & 1979 were very memorable.

Texas won or was awarded NCs in 1963, 1969, & 1970 under DKR. The one in dispute is the 1970 team as it lost in Cotton Bowl to Notre Dame after being awarded the MNC before the game.

Hey Gobbla: can't you get more creative than that? We've NEVER heard that one about A&M. :rolleyes: