PDA

View Full Version : Avery Johnson's first 3 full years as a Head Coach...

kaorder1999
05-01-2008, 09:27 AM
60 wins in regular season
67 wins in regular season
51 wins in regular season

that is wild!

Good luck to him

Sweetwater Red
05-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

that is wild!

Good luck to him

The house that Nelly built?:thinking:

crzyjournalist03
05-01-2008, 09:37 AM

that is wild!

Good luck to him

During the 1990s, the Mavericks had a total of 207 wins in the decade.

In three years with Avery as head coach, the team had 178 wins.

Emerson1
05-01-2008, 10:48 AM
First round exit
finals debacle
first round exit
first round exit

kaorder1999
05-01-2008, 10:52 AM
i guess having lived through the Mavs of the 90's the first round exits dont kill me.....

crzyjournalist03
05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
i guess having lived through the Mavs of the 90's the first round exits dont kill me.....

Emerson is too young to remember any of that...

kaorder1999
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
i remember after one season saying to myself...Holy Crap...they almost made the playoffs! haha

Emerson1
They should just let dirk be a player/coach.

Adidas410s
Exactly. All of the "Oh I'm a Mavs fan" (then ask them to name 3 guys from the 1995 team) and they say, "umm...Dirk, Nash, and Finley???"

crzyjournalist03
05-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Exactly. All of the "Oh I'm a Mavs fan" (then ask them to name 3 guys from the 1995 team) and they say, "umm...Dirk, Nash, and Finley???"

lol...wasn't that the 3Js last year?

eagles_victory
05-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Exactly. All of the "Oh I'm a Mavs fan" (then ask them to name 3 guys from the 1995 team) and they say, "umm...Dirk, Nash, and Finley???" Well whenyou ask someone who is like 17 or 18 and they were like 5 years old at the time you cant really say they werent a true fan because they didnt watch the team when they were 5 thats stupid. If you have been following the team for the last 7 or 8 years I think your a fan.

But I loved those mid 90s teams because I liked the trio of Jamal Masburn, Jim Jackson, and Jason Kidd too bad it never turned into more wins.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
First round exit
finals debacle
first round exit
first round exit

1)second round exit (to an MVP led Suns team in 6 games. We were the 3rd best team in the conference that year, after the Suns & Spurs. Considering how much the team improved after Avery took over mid year--a tough task anyways-- I was please we even took it to 6)
2) Finals debacle (true, though its hard to think you have a chance to win when Dwyane Wade could push off people and have a fould called on the Mavs, worst officiating ever, many neutral fans admit that).
3) first round exit (truly outcoached)
4) first round exit (they were a better team, and AJ still didn't have the players he wanted. Coaching would not have affected this series one way or the other. Players would.

Still don't understand why people thought Avery did such a horrible job. It may have been time for him to go--on both sides-- but there's not many other coaches in the league I'd have ahead of him. It was more the right coaching for the right personnel, and we didn't fit him with the right group.

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

Still don't understand why people thought Avery did such a horrible job. It may have been time for him to go--on both sides-- but there's not many other coaches in the league I'd have ahead of him. It was more the right coaching for the right personnel, and we didn't fit him with the right group.

while I like Avery is unwillingness to adjust was his main problem...Great coaches adjust to their players, not try to put a square peg into a round hole

Bill Parcells was all about running game and defense with Giants, yet when Patriots HC he had a pass strong team and adjusted

Pat Riley won titles in the 80's with a fast break team...yet with Knicks and Heat he built his team to the players which was defensive ISO offense style teams

Avery never even tried that

plus in the finals with Miami he allowed the Heat to dictate his match ups

Same thing wiith the Golden State series..he was a coach of a 67 win team, yet HE allowed Nellie to dicate match up

crzyjournalist03
05-01-2008, 11:34 AM
I haven't heard anybody say that they thought Avery did a horrible job, or even that he did a bad job.

But everybody in the Mavericks organization agreed that he wasn't going to be able to take this team where he wanted, and this team wasn't a team that was going to follow him where he wanted to take them.

Adidas410s
05-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Well whenyou ask someone who is like 17 or 18 and they were like 5 years old at the time you cant really say they werent a true fan because they didnt watch the team when they were 5 thats stupid. If you have been following the team for the last 7 or 8 years I think your a fan.

But I loved those mid 90s teams because I liked the trio of Jamal Masburn, Jim Jackson, and Jason Kidd too bad it never turned into more wins.
It's not as much the kids as the adults that have latched on. They've got their floor seats (hell even lower bowl seats run you close to $3k for a pair..and that's after a 3 year waiting list), their Mavs jersey, their platinum parking, and their Mavs clappers for every game. I know everybody likes to root for a winner...but it just annoys me when you ONLY root for a winner.

Heck...I can't tell you how frustrating it is to see half the lower bowl at a Stars game full of people wearing every color but black during the playoffs. They've had 3 weeks and FIVE games to open a newspaper, turn on the radio, or watch on TV and get the "WEAR BLACK TO ALL PLAYOFF GAMES" message. They buy their $100 ticket and show up to these games so they can talk about it to their buddies at work the next day. The fair weather fan (the older cousin of the t-shirt fan) drives me nuts.

Emerson1
05-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Bring in Dirk's personal coach for HC

BreckTxLonghorn
05-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
while I like Avery is unwillingness to adjust was his main problem...Great coaches adjust to their players, not try to put a square peg into a round hole

Bill Parcells was all about running game and defense with Giants, yet when Patriots HC he had a pass strong team and adjusted

Pat Riley won titles in the 80's with a fast break team...yet with Knicks and Heat he built his team to the players which was defensive ISO offense style teams

Avery never even tried that

plus in the finals with Miami he allowed the Heat to dictate his match ups

Same thing wiith the Golden State series..he was a coach of a 67 win team, yet HE allowed Nellie to dicate match up

Avery would've won with Dirk and the Triple J ranch though. That's what Cuban should've done.

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Avery would've won with Dirk and the Triple J ranch though. That's what Cuban should've done.

lol..Avery would have won in finals if he trusted his players..Avery would have won last year if he trusted his players..he outcoached himself to many times

Fotbol
05-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Emerson is too young to remember any of that...
Rolondo Blackman, Mark Aquire.

kaorder1999
05-01-2008, 01:49 PM
like in 92-93 when they were 11-71.