PDA

View Full Version : avery johnson out as dallas head coach...

jason
04-30-2008, 01:05 PM
...just heard it on the mike tirico show...

he was 194-70 in the regular season...
fastest to 150 wins...

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3375306)

Adidas410s
04-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Article is up on espn.com. Can't get the page to load just yet though...

jason
04-30-2008, 01:08 PM
i got it :D

The Dallas Mavericks parted company with coach Avery Johnson on Wednesday, a day following the team's first-round exit from the NBA playoffs, ESPN.com has learned.

Speculation about Johnson's future with the franchise had been mounting for weeks, ever since Dallas struggled to reach the playoffs as the seventh seed following its midseason acquisition of point guard Jason Kidd from New Jersey.

Johnson became Mavs coach during the 2004-05 season and walks away with a 194-70 record (.735), but only a 23-24 mark in the playoffs and 3-12 in the postseason since Dallas' dismantling by Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals.

Host New Orleans wrapped up a 4-1 series rout of Dallas with Tuesday night's 99-94 victory.

"This is tough for me," Johnson said after the game, not specifically responding to a question about his job security but struggling to contain his disappointment after the Mavs' second straight flameout in the first round.

NBA front-office offices sources told ESPN.com that both the Mavs and Johnson, feeling that a coaching change was inevitable, wanted to come to a resolution quickly so Dallas could begin interviewing candidates and Johnson could pursue another job.

Sources close to the situation have said that Mavericks owner Mark Cuban actually considered firing Johnson before the playoffs, specifically after Cuban and Johnson engaged in an emotional argument after a March 18 home loss to the Lakers.

Cuban refused to speak with reporters after Tuesday's loss -- Dallas' ninth playoff defeat in a row on the road since taking a 2-0 lead in the 2006 Finals.

Adidas410s
04-30-2008, 01:09 PM
The Dallas Mavericks parted company with coach Avery Johnson on Wednesday, a day following the team's first-round exit from the NBA playoffs, ESPN.com has learned.

Speculation about Johnson's future with the franchise had been mounting for weeks, ever since Dallas struggled to reach the playoffs as the seventh seed following its midseason acquisition of point guard Jason Kidd from New Jersey.

Johnson became Mavs coach during the 2004-05 season and walks away with a 194-70 record (.735) but only a 23-24 mark in the playoffs. Host New Orleans wrapped up a 4-1 series rout of Dallas with Tuesday night's 99-94 victory.

"This is tough for me," Johnson said after the game, not specifically responding to a question about his job security but struggling to contain his disappointment after the Mavs' second straight flameout in the first round.

NBA front-office offices sources told ESPN.com that both the Mavs and Johnson, feeling that a coaching change was inevitable, wanted to come to a resolution quickly so Dallas could begin interviewing candidates and Johnson could pursue another job.

Sources close to the situation have said that Mavericks owner Mark Cuban actually considered firing Johnson before the playoffs, specifically after Cuban and Johnson engaged in an emotional argument after a March 18 home loss to the Lakers.

Cuban refused to speak with reporters after Tuesday's loss -- Dallas' ninth playoff defeat in a row on the road since taking a 2-0 lead in the 2006 NBA Finals.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

kepdawg
04-30-2008, 01:10 PM
http://www.collegehoopsjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/bob-knight.jpg

;)

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 01:10 PM
being confirmed by dallasnews.com now as well.

jason
04-30-2008, 01:12 PM
michael wilbon just threw out the possibility of Mike D'Antoni coming to dallas....

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by jason
michael wilbon just threw out the possibility of Mike D'Antoni coming to dallas....

What about Avery to Phoenix?

kepdawg
04-30-2008, 01:13 PM

Yesterday DMN threw out the idea of D'Antoni and Avery switching places.

injuredinmelee
04-30-2008, 01:14 PM
YES

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/hsguru73/pat1221.jpg

NO

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/hsguru73/32510354.jpg

jason
04-30-2008, 01:16 PM
what about popeye jones....

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
what about popeye jones....

does this look like a guy that you want sitting at a podium answering questions about your team?

http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/blog/images/2007/04/06/popeye_jones_fielding_questions_pul.jpg

kaorder1999
04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
that was fast....

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
YES

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/hsguru73/pat1221.jpg

NO

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/hsguru73/32510354.jpg

No to both..Riley IMO is not the coach to rebuild with and in some form Dallas has to do some rebuilding

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 01:25 PM
I would like to nominate this guy:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/mark-cuban-sirius.jpg

injuredinmelee
04-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I would like to nominate this guy:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/mark-cuban-sirius.jpg

i wouldnt be all that shocked if he named himself coach. A little surprised but not shocked.

jason
04-30-2008, 01:28 PM
i wonder how long he will even remain owner of the team - seems like he is more and more frustrated every year....

doesn't seem like he has as much fun as he did in the beginning....

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Official press release:

DALLAS-- The Dallas Mavericks announced today that they have relieved Avery Johnson of his coaching duties. Johnson became the eighth coach in Mavericks history on March 19, 2005. He collected a record of 194-70 (.735) during his tenure with a postseason record of 23-24 (.489).

"I would like to thank Avery for his valuable contributions to the Mavericks organization," President of Basketball Operations/General Manager Donnie Nelson said. "Over the past four years, he has been an integral part of our team's success. We wish AJ nothing but the very best in his future endeavors."

In his first full season as head coach (2005-06), Johnson guided the Mavericks to 60 wins and their first appearance in the NBA Finals. He became the fastest coach to reach 50 wins (62 games), coached the Western Conference All-Star team and was named the NBA's Coach of the Year.

In 2006-07, Johnson led Dallas to a franchise-record 67 wins (67-15 overall) and the NBA's best record. The mark was also the sixth best in league history. Following a 10-0 month of February, Johnson garnered Western Conference Coach of the Month honors, an award he won three times in his career.

This past season, Johnson became the fastest coach in NBA history to reach 150 wins with a victory over Memphis on November 17, 2007. He accomplished that feat in just 191 games.

"It is never easy to relieve a coach of his duties, especially one of Avery's caliber," Owner Mark Cuban said. "He is a talented coach and I want to thank him for his efforts over the last four years and what he has done for this franchise. We wish him well in the future."

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/04/avery-era-officially-over.html

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
from the espn.com announcement's last paragraph:

"Cuban refused to speak with reporters after Tuesday's loss at New Orleans -- Dallas' ninth playoff defeat in a row on the road since taking a 2-0 lead in the 2006 Finals."

This series went five games, and Golden State didn't sweep us...someone is terrible at math. :doh:

Old Tiger
04-30-2008, 01:41 PM
i wonder how long he will even remain owner of the team - seems like he is more and more frustrated every year....

doesn't seem like he has as much fun as he did in the beginning.... would you? he invested a lot of money in that team and they have done NOTHING.

kepdawg
04-30-2008, 01:42 PM
from the espn.com announcement's last paragraph:

"Cuban refused to speak with reporters after Tuesday's loss at New Orleans -- Dallas' ninth playoff defeat in a row on the road since taking a 2-0 lead in the 2006 Finals."

This series went five games, and Golden State didn't sweep us...someone is terrible at math. :doh:

On the road...

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
On the road...

That is NOT what the paragraph says.

kepdawg
04-30-2008, 01:45 PM
That is NOT what the paragraph says.

It's what the one you quoted says.

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
It's what the one you quoted says.

aww crap...I read that paragraph a dozen times just to make sure I wasn't misreading it, but apparently, I still was...

EPIC FAIL

Sweetwater Red
04-30-2008, 01:49 PM
aww crap...I read that paragraph a dozen times just to make sure I wasn't misreading it, but apparently, I still was...

EPIC FAIL

Isn't it nice having kepdawg around to keep us straight?:thumbsup: :evillol: :devil:

kepdawg
04-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Isn't it nice having kepdawg around to keep us straight?:thumbsup: :evillol: :devil:

He started it.

Phil C
04-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Avery won't be out of a job very long.

coach
04-30-2008, 01:52 PM
like a friend of mine said...charles barkley

g$$
04-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
i wouldnt be all that shocked if he named himself coach. A little surprised but not shocked.

Kind of a theme in Dallas with owners, huh? Jerry Jones sure fancies himself a coach going down to the sidelines & all. The best owners let their coaches "coach" & personnel people do their jobs. Jones & Cuban are both fantastic businessmen. Neither are coaches or personnel guys.

How about Jeff Van Gundy? He's a different guy but a helluva coach, esp. defensively.

Ron Washington will be next to go.

Lion_Addict
04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81535

Hmmmmm......somebody called it, :D

coach
04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Kind of a theme in Dallas with owners, huh? Jerry Jones sure fancies himself a coach going down to the sidelines & all. The best owners let their coaches "coach" & personnel people do their jobs. Jones & Cuban are both fantastic businessmen. Neither are coaches or personnel guys.

How about Jeff Van Gundy? He's a different guy but a helluva coach, esp. defensively.

Ron Washington will be next.

ive heard van gundy and rick carlisle (sp)...and ron washington was a dumber hire to begin with..but thats a different story

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Ron Washington will be next to go.

I think Cuban is getting a bad rap on this..first off he has not went thru a bevy of coaches in his tenure..He also has usually let his guys do his job

second I think he knows as good as Avery can be, he has A. made some real bad decisions as the HC..and B it is very obvious he lost this team at some point

I like Avery and I still think he will be a good coach, but he was out coached in three straight series and only this one this year could you say talent wise Dallas was not the better team

g$$
04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think Cuban is getting a bad rap on this..first off he has not went thru a bevy of coaches in his tenure..He also has usually let his guys do his job

second I think he knows as good as Avery can be, he has A. made some real bad decisions as the HC..and B it is very obvious he lost this team at some point

I like Avery and I still think he will be a good coach, but he was out coached in three straight series and only this one this year could you say talent wise Dallas was not the better team

I agree Dallas needs a new voice & this year the Hornets were simply better. But, Cuban brings much of this on himself with his antics. Just back off & let guys do their jobs without all the meddling. It's his team & his $$. Too much drama (refs) & tension at times.

How many coaches now in his tenure?

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I agree Dallas needs a new voice & this year the Hornets were simply better. But, Cuban brings much of this on himself with his antics. Just back off & let guys do their jobs without all the meddling. It's his team & his $$. Too much drama (refs) & tension at times.

he has had two Nelson and Avery..and he kept Nelson when most thought he would fire him after he bought the team

again his meddling is not with personel decisions or anything like that..he just has never seperated himself as a fan instead of an owner

Still would prefer guys like Cuban and Jones who want to win unlike people like Bidwell and the Clipper owner who would rather ONLY make money

Texasfootball2
04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
The Mavs still have a great core of players. After Howards performance in games 4 and 5 along with his idiotic comments. He has to go, Maybe even send Stackhouse packing with him. The Mavs biggest problem has always been that they play bad defense. Who ever they hire, needs to be a tough hardnose defensive minded coach. The points are going to be there. I would love to have seen Larry Brown wait a couple of days, his teams always play great defense. I also agree with Injured, I think Pat Riley would be a good fit. He too a great defensive minded coach. Dantoni and Carlisle are just like Nelson and Avery, they are going to push the ball up the floor and not stress defense. Since I doubt that Riley will take the job, I wouldn't mind Van Gundy, he too is a defensive minded coach.

cshscougar08
04-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by coach
like a friend of mine said...charles barkley

Charles Barkley's too busy running for governor of Alabama. I'm surprised at this as well. I mean yeah I can understand that Dallas has had great teams the past two years and have had first round exits, but come on. Dallas isn't a place where nothing less than a championship is unacceptable like with the Yankees, Red Sox, Celtics, Lakers, and other teams with much more storied histories. The only history the Mavs have is of losing. I think it's too quick of a decision. But just my opinion.

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
. The Mavs biggest problem has always been that they play bad defense. Who ever .

uhhh not really..The finals year and last year Dallas was real good on D...and this year most of their problems were offensive flamouts, which many say was Avery not being real creative..They bring in Kidd, yet continue to mainly run iso plays

agian in this series everything was bad..but for the last 3 years the D was pretty dang good

g$$
04-30-2008, 02:29 PM
again his meddling is not with personel decisions or anything like that..he just has never seperated himself as a fan instead of an owner

Still would prefer guys like Cuban and Jones who want to win unlike people like Bidwell and the Clipper owner who would rather ONLY make money

Agreed. Being above the fray & not still acting like a fan would help IMO.

Cuban did push hard for an over-the-hill Kidd & sold the farm to get him. That was mainly his doing, right?

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed. Being above the fray & not still acting like a fan would help IMO.

Cuban did push hard for an over-the-hill Kidd & sold the farm to get him. That was mainly his doing, right?

no it was Avery..he never liked Harris at PG, would not let Devin run the offense, wants Kidd..then would not take the reigns off

Basically Avery tried to turn Dallas into SA...but the parts did not fit, yet he tried to cram them into polace

g$$
04-30-2008, 02:39 PM
no it was Avery..he never liked Harris at PG, would not let Devin run the offense, wants Kidd..then would not take the reigns off

Basically Avery tried to turn Dallas into SA...but the parts did not fit, yet he tried to cram them into polace

So Avery forced the trade down Cuban's throat? Wasn't a joint decision? I like Harris as a PG. Dallas has no big man, kinda hard to be a SA type team.

Interesting what will happen next.

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
So Avery forced the trade down Cuban's throat? Wasn't a joint decision? I like Harris as a PG. Dallas has no big man, kinda hard to be a SA type team.

Interesting what will happen next.

no I dont think he forced it..but I do think his obvious distaste for Harris forced the situation

Now in saying that...Harris was not the PG IMO to lead Dallas..But if you bring Kidd in, you have to let him play his style or it will not work

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 02:55 PM
For anybody who is interested, Avery Johnson will be on 103.3 FM in Dallas at 3:20 today.

kaorder1999
04-30-2008, 02:57 PM
im interested but I wont be by the radio.....summarize it for me if you can when it happens!

coach
04-30-2008, 03:04 PM
The Mavs still have a great core of players. After Howards performance in games 4 and 5 along with his idiotic comments. He has to go, Maybe even send Stackhouse packing with him. The Mavs biggest problem has always been that they play bad defense. Who ever they hire, needs to be a tough hardnose defensive minded coach. The points are going to be there. I would love to have seen Larry Brown wait a couple of days, his teams always play great defense. I also agree with Injured, I think Pat Riley would be a good fit. He too a great defensive minded coach. Dantoni and Carlisle are just like Nelson and Avery, they are going to push the ball up the floor and not stress defense. Since I doubt that Riley will take the job, I wouldn't mind Van Gundy, he too is a defensive minded coach.

what have u been watching..avery is a defensive minded coach just like pop ni san antonio...and he dis the exact opposite of nellie..he doesnt push the ball at all thats why the mavs have struggled..they have theplayers to run..i think to howards defense he would play a lot better under a coach like nellie or dantoni..besides pat riley is out of the question...he doesnt want to caoch and he is still the pres. of miami...i say van gundy and dantoni are the front runners right now

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
im interested but I wont be by the radio.....summarize it for me if you can when it happens!

just got moved to 3:45...I'll try to update; you can listen on your computer at espn1033.com if you're interested.

jason
04-30-2008, 03:28 PM
just got moved to 3:45...I'll try to update; you can listen on your computer at espn1033.com if you're interested. i just went to espn radio and thought i had missed it....

guess i'll wait 15 more minutes...

Texasfootball2
04-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by coach
what have u been watching..avery is a defensive minded coach just like pop ni san antonio...and he dis the exact opposite of nellie..he doesnt push the ball at all thats why the mavs have struggled..they have theplayers to run..i think to howards defense he would play a lot better under a coach like nellie or dantoni..besides pat riley is out of the question...he doesnt want to caoch and he is still the pres. of miami...i say van gundy and dantoni are the front runners right now

Well I just watch a team play almost no defense for a whole series. NO got wide open looks almost anytime they wanted them. If the Mavs had no talent I could understand it, but they have some good individual defensive players on their team. And they do push the ball, but it all stems from playing good defense.
The only game they won the play good defense and ran NO out of the gym. The other four games they couldn't run because they were getting the ball out of the net.

Emerson1
04-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
would you? he invested a lot of money in that team and they have done NOTHING.
I think Cuban has come out on top with his investment. He could sell them right now for a whole lot more than he bought them for.

Emerson1
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Avery won't be out of a job very long.
He will be a great assistant somewhere

Emerson1
04-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by g$$

2 since 2000

kaorder1999
04-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
would you? he invested a lot of money in that team and they have done NOTHING.

huh? do you remember what hte Mavs were like when he bought the team? He hasnt gotten a ring but they were FAR from that when he took over!

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
huh? do you remember what hte Mavs were like when he bought the team? He hasnt gotten a ring but they were FAR from that when he took over!

lol...Dennis Rodman...

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Well I just watch a team play almost no defense for a whole series. NO got wide open looks almost anytime they wanted them. If the Mavs had no talent I could understand it, but they have some good individual defensive players on their team. And they do push the ball, but it all stems from playing good defense.
The only game they won the play good defense and ran NO out of the gym. The other four games they couldn't run because they were getting the ball out of the net.

one series does not mark the tenure of Avery..This team the final's year, last year, and for alot of this year was VERY good on D

I stated the NO series everything was bad

kaorder1999
04-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Cleamons was relieved by Nelson soon after becoming General Manager and remained on as the head coach until Avery took over. Avery was Cubans 2nd head coach to work with.

Emerson1
04-30-2008, 04:23 PM
and here is why he was let go

http://82games.com/FGTEAM11.HTM

Things to notice:

- Only 3 teams (LAC, SEA, and POR) relied on jump shots more.
- Only 1 team (POR) relied less on inside scoring.
- Only 4 teams (MIN, LAC, IND, SAS) had fewer dunks.

coach
04-30-2008, 06:18 PM

they were the 6th best defense in the league and u can pusch the ball after a made basket..trust me lol avery is not like dantoni..he is a mirror image of pop...

Emerson1
04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Paul Westphal?

PHS Wildcats
04-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I knew it was a matter of time

g$$
04-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
and here is why he was let go

http://82games.com/FGTEAM11.HTM

Things to notice:

- Only 3 teams (LAC, SEA, and POR) relied on jump shots more.
- Only 1 team (POR) relied less on inside scoring.
- Only 4 teams (MIN, LAC, IND, SAS) had fewer dunks.

But that also has a lot to do with personnel. Dallas is a jump shooting team with no proven, consistent inside scorers. Dirk & others are offensive players who don't get after you on D. Was Avery in charge of drafting, scouting & signing FA players? Who is the GM putting the club together now in Dallas?

Avery deserves lots of blame, but so do others too...including owner Cuban.

rockdale80
04-30-2008, 09:24 PM
I thought Kidd was going to be the guy that helped Dirk carry them to the promise land:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Great trade. Hope it pans out in the next 2 years or so, because I doubt he will be playing longer than that.

Emerson1
04-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
I thought Kidd was going to be the guy that helped Dirk carry them to the promise land:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Great trade. Hope it pans out in the next 2 years or so, because I doubt he will be playing longer than that.
That's about when Dirk will be leaving him prime.