PDA

View Full Version : Howard's birthday bash led to more turmoil for Dallas Mavericks

kepdawg
04-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Howard's birthday bash led to more turmoil for Dallas Mavericks

11:03 AM CDT on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News
dmoore@dallasnews.com

NEW ORLEANS – Josh Howard isn't the sole reason the Dallas Mavericks were eliminated in the first round for the second consecutive season.

But his poor play and peculiar behavior have cast him in the role of fall guy and clouded his future with the club.

A source confirmed that Monday's practice imbroglio was sparked by Howard's attendance at his own birthday party hours after the team's Game 4 loss to the New Orleans Hornets. Howard passed out fliers in the locker room inviting teammates to celebrate his 28th birthday bash at a Dallas nightclub in the wake of the team going down 3-1.

Johnson confronted his team about the party Monday – the source said only a few of the players attended – and canceled practice, prompting the players to practice on their own without the supervision of the coaching staff.

This episode came only two days after Howard went on a local radio show and talked about his marijuana use in the off-season, the third time he has publicly commented on his illegal drug use in the past year.

On top of this, Howard averaged 12.6 points and shot 29.2 percent from the field in the first-round loss to the Hornets.

"Obviously, there were some very disappointing things that happened here in the playoffs with everything," Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki said without mentioning Howard by name. "It was bad timing.

"In the playoffs, it's time to just concentrate about basketball, focus on it and not let any distractions come up."

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/050108dnspomavshoward.b507aaf1.html)

JasperDog94
04-30-2008, 12:32 PM
I guess Howard can now resume his off season "activities".:smoker: :smoker: :smoker:

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I guess Howard can now resume his off season "activities".:smoker: :smoker: :smoker:

Does anybody out there think that there's any team at all that will trade for Howard now?

A couple of months ago, almost every team in the league was asking for him in trade talks. Now, I'd be surprised if ANYBODY takes a bite.

kepdawg
04-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Does anybody out there think that there's any team at all that will trade for Howard now?

A couple of months ago, almost every team in the league was asking for him in trade talks. Now, I'd be surprised if ANYBODY takes a bite.

DMN has a survey up on whether the Mavs should keep him.

83% (412 people) say no.

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
DMN has a survey up on whether the Mavs should keep him.

83% (412 people) say no.

They're not going to have a choice with his contract if nobody else out there wants him.

BEAST
04-30-2008, 01:32 PM
I bet Jerry Jones will sign him. Seems to be his kind of guy.

BEAST

Old Tiger
04-30-2008, 01:32 PM
sounds like the people of dallas are looking to place blame as to why the mavericks suck.

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
sounds like the people of dallas are looking to place blame as to why the mavericks suck.

huh?

are you seriously trying to defend Josh Howard right now?

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2008, 01:35 PM

No just see him as one of the big problems

He is supposed to be the 2nd star..he struggled all year and now it seems he was not really focused in the play-offs...and his play showed

If Howard plays up to his ability then I think the Mavs are still in the series today

Old Tiger
04-30-2008, 01:39 PM
huh?

are you seriously trying to defend Josh Howard right now? no just saying the mavericks suck :D

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2008, 01:41 PM
no just saying the mavericks suck :D

They definitely looked like a different team all year than the team that seemed to be on a mission the year before. Today's a day that I'm glad I don't consider myself a basketball fan.

eagles_victory
04-30-2008, 01:56 PM
sounds like the people of dallas are looking to place blame as to why the mavericks suck. Josh Howard has got to be one of the dumbest players on the court in the league. Every game it seems he starts off hot driving the ball to the basket in the first quarter and shooting a high percentage and getting to or close to double digits. Yet late in the game he never tries to drive and always wants to be a jump shooter. When Josh Howard is a jump shooter Mavericks fans might as well turn on reruns of Mamas Family because it isnt going to be pretty he misses jump shots almost as bad as you will ever see an NBA player miss a shot.

Plus dont forget the brain dead time out he called in Miami that prevented the team from being able to advance the ball to half court because he called it after the first free throw instead of the second. He also called a timeout when his team didnt have one and cost them the game at Wake in college.

I loved what Kenny and Charles said last night Josh Howard has to be one of the happiest guys in the league that its the offseason.

Maroon87
04-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Man...Howard takes "don't give a crap" to new levels.

kaorder1999
04-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Josh Howard is an idiot. Heard yesterday on some radio show that his agent #1 set up the interview with Michael Irvin and #2 told Irvin that he wanted to talk about his marijuana use.

PHS Wildcats
04-30-2008, 07:52 PM
wow

westcoast54
04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
So Cuban fires Avery Johnson today...That makes alot of sense.

HEMOTOXIC
05-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Josh Howard is young and this will not be the first mistake that he will make. By no means will I make excuses for his poor dicision making, but we all make mistakes. I guess everyone is going to use him as the escape goat for the Mavs exit in the first round yet again. My God, he had a party and admitted to smoking pot during the off season. People, chill out! He is not the total reason for the Mavs collapse. This is a team sport and the team failed to beat the Hornets, not Josh Howard. What was the excuse last season when the Warriors drove them out of the playoffs? Basketball has always been a team sport and will continue to be a team sport. The Bulls manage to win a championship or two with Rodman playing for them. There have been bigger distractions in the game of basketball than someone celebrating his birthday. For all you Mavs fans, be carefull what you wish for. Josh Howard could end up a San Antonio Spur, a New Orleans Hornet or a Golden State Warrior. Then, when the Mavs loose yet again in the first round, who will you blame?

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Josh Howard is young and this will not be the first mistake that he will make. By no means will I make excuses for his poor dicision making, but we all make mistakes. I guess everyone is going to use him as the escape goat for the Mavs exit in the first round yet again. My God, he had a party and admitted to smoking pot during the off season. People, chill out! He is not the total reason for the Mavs collapse. This is a team sport and the team failed to beat the Hornets, not Josh Howard. What was the excuse last season when the Warriors drove them out of the playoffs? Basketball has always been a team sport and will continue to be a team sport. The Bulls manage to win a championship or two with Rodman playing for them. There have been bigger distractions in the game of basketball than someone celebrating his birthday. For all you Mavs fans, be carefull what you wish for. Josh Howard could end up a San Antonio Spur, a New Orleans Hornet or a Golden State Warrior. Then, when the Mavs loose yet again in the first round, who will you blame?

No he is not to blame for it all....BUT..he is supposed to be the #2 guy and in this series he never once got close to playing up to that level...then factor in he is passing flyers to his B-day IN THE LOCKEROOM before a very importamt games gives off the impression his head is not in the game when he is supposed to be one of the pillars of the team

HEMOTOXIC
05-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
No he is not to blame for it all....BUT..he is supposed to be the #2 guy and in this series he never once got close to playing up to that level...then factor in he is passing flyers to his B-day IN THE LOCKEROOM before a very importamt games gives off the impression his head is not in the game when he is supposed to be one of the pillars of the team

Yes, he is the #2 guy. The flyers were passed out after the game. Tacky, yes. But, it still didn't change the outcome of the game and the fact that it was his birthday. The Mavs have much deeper problems than their #2 guy. They should have never gotten Kidd. Great player and all but it broke their chemistry even futher than it had been broken.

Emerson1
05-01-2008, 08:53 PM
huh?

are you seriously trying to defend Josh Howard right now?
No, he is just the #1 fan of the Celtics, Giants, Red Wings and the Philadelphia Arena team.

Emerson1
05-01-2008, 08:54 PM

Everybody will still be asking for him, but it will be for 2 or 3 scrubs that make the money work and not just a good player straight up.

Emerson1
05-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Josh will be gone because Dirk wants him gone

HEMOTOXIC
05-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I loved what the Mavs had going a couple seasons ago....