PDA

View Full Version : Wed. night: Texas @ Texas A&M softball on ESPNU...

g$$
04-30-2008, 10:02 AM
6:00 PM Wed. on ESPNU (Ch. 148 on Dish Network, check local listings for others)

Texas @ #5 Texas A&M

A&M has clinched at least a tie for the Big 12 Title (only 1 loss in conference). A win tonight at home makes A&M outright Big 12 champions. Big for LSS too as A&M's lead has shrunk to 1/2 point with 3.5 pts. to go (currently 8 to 7.5). Throw the records out the window as Texas will come to play.

All-American senior Megan Gibson will pitch for A&M & I expect senior Meagan Denny for Texas (Barnhill threw 1st game @ Austin & took a tough loss for Horns, 3-1 Final). Denny can be very tough when on her game.

Overflow softball crowd expected - adding temporary bleachers as well for the big night & national tv. Trying to break attendance record at Aggie Softball Complex.

Gig 'em

http://www.aggieathletics.com/pressRelease.php?SID=&PRID=14462

pirate4state
04-30-2008, 10:15 AM
I'll have to try to remember and watch this one. A&M has a great softball team. Hope Texas can make it a game.

ESPNU on DirecTv = 609

NastySlot
04-30-2008, 10:58 AM
hope i can catch a replay...later........got physicals tonight..........5-9.......those poor little sixth graders....they are in for a shock.

g$$
04-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
hope i can catch a replay...later........got physicals tonight..........5-9.......those poor little sixth graders....they are in for a shock.

Turn your head & cough, son. Oh the memories! ;)

Phil C
04-30-2008, 11:11 AM
It should be a great game. But I think the Aggies are too strong in softball and should win it. Regarding the LSS I think A&M will get 1/2 a point in the softball game tonight and a full point in Women's Track. I think UT will get the point in Men's track. That means when it comes to baseball the Aggies will have cinched the tie with 9 1/2 points while UT will have 8 1/2 points. If A&M wins baseball then they win the LSS 10 1/2 to 8 1/2. If UT wins then it is tied for the year 9.5 to 9.5.

g$$
04-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
It should be a great game. But I think the Aggies are too strong in softball and should win it. Regarding the LSS I think A&M will get 1/2 a point in the softball game tonight and a full point in Women's Track. I think UT will get the point in Men's track. That means when it comes to baseball the Aggies will have cinched the tie with 9 1/2 points while UT will have 8 1/2 points. If A&M wins baseball then they win the LSS 10 1/2 to 8 1/2. If UT wins then it is tied for the year 9.5 to 9.5.

And if they tie, rules state it goes back to the previous year's winner (which would be Texas). I don't want a tie! Track should be interesting. Baseball - I have a feeling Texas is about to get hot. Very talented team at Texas but it hasn't clicked. Scary team in a Regional. These last 3.5 pts. will be a battle.

I hope my Ags can hang on...

Phil C
04-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And if they tie, rules state it goes back to the previous year's winner (which would be Texas). I don't want a tie! Track should be interesting. Baseball - I have a feeling Texas is about to get hot. Very talented team at Texas but it hasn't clicked. Scary team in a Regional. These last 3.5 pts. will be a battle.

I hope my Ags can hang on...

Hey g$$ I don't want a tie either. This past year since UT didn't win the football game I emailed State Farm that if at the end it was tied 9.5 all that since football is the most obvious popular sport and since the men's team accounted for less that half (9) of the total (19) LSS points that the team that won the football game would be awarded an extra 1/4 point to break the tie. Needless to say I didn't get a response.

g$$
04-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Not a bad idea Phil, & I applaud the effort!

PHS Wildcats
04-30-2008, 07:55 PM
A&M up 2-1 in the top of the 7th

NastySlot
04-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
A&M up 2-1 in the top of the 7th

ball game.

g$$
04-30-2008, 08:54 PM
A&M 2 4 0
Texas 1 3 1
Final

A&M wins Big 12 Championship outright & takes full point in LSS for year in softball. Great job ladies!

BreckTxLonghorn
04-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by g$$
A&M 2 4 0
Texas 1 3 1
Final

A&M wins Big 12 Championship outright & takes full point in LSS for year in softball. Great job ladies!

Wow. Sounded like a pretty game, even for those of us that aren't softball-inclined.

Did the Texas error cost a run?

g$$
04-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I recapped the game on other thread...

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81616

NastySlot
04-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Wow. Sounded like a pretty game, even for those of us that aren't softball-inclined.

Did the Texas error cost a run?

no the error came in the sixth with the aggies up 2-1...snap throw down to second...on the throw back to the pitcher....ball got away allowing the runners at second and first to advance a base.........Bad base running hurt texas...I believe runner was double twice on seperate occasions and the one that really hurt was in the top of the seventh with one out...runner at first left early.

this was the type of game you would expect these two teams to play against each other.

g$$
04-30-2008, 09:30 PM
http://www.aggieathletics.com/games.php?SID=WSB&SSID=8320

g$$
04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
no the error came in the sixth with the aggies up 2-1...snap throw down to second...on the throw back to the pitcher....ball got away allowing the runners at second and first to advance a base.........Bad base running hurt texas...I believe runner was double twice on seperate occasions and the one that really hurt was in the top of the seventh with one out...runner at first left early.

this was the type of game you would expect these two teams to play against each other.

Actually the baserunning rock that hurt the most was early in game. Girl on 2nd w/ no outs. Texas batter Ks & then runner on 2nd gets caught in run-down when catcher throws down. She was tagged for 2nd out, next batter singled on chalk line to left & broke aluminum bat. Texas could have scored in that inning.

Texas had 3 huge baserunning rocks on evening. That will cost you in a tight ballgame, & it did.