PDA

View Full Version : UT's Kasparek no-hits Texas State...

g$$
04-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Special day for the Weimar product recently back from Tommy John surgery (elbow)...give him credit for a great outing. Hit a batter to open 7th or it would have been perfect game.

http://texassports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=18&url_article_id=8893&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

Worth noting is Texas State is only 24-19 on year, but they have a really good hitting ballclub. Scoring runs has not been an issue, while pitching/defense have been problem areas. Impressive to no-no them.

Texas plays Baylor in a Big 12 series this weekend. Both are fighting to get above .500 in conference & huge for NCAA berths. Saturday afternoon's game is on FSN fyi.

Texas_Fight_05
04-30-2008, 01:06 PM
I was at that game last night. He was LIGHTS OUT. Don't remember him leaving a ball up in the zone all night or throwing a ball in the dirt. He was hitting spots like I've never seen him hit before. Throwing heat well into the 9th inning. First no-hitter since Alaniz in '05. Now we just need all the other pitchers and come around and continue to hit the way we have the past few games. I think we'll come around...

g$$
04-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Texas_Fight_05
I was at that game last night. He was LIGHTS OUT. Don't remember him leaving a ball up in the zone all night or throwing a ball in the dirt. He was hitting spots like I've never seen him hit before. Throwing heat well into the 9th inning. First no-hitter since Alaniz in '05. Now we just need all the other pitchers and come around and continue to hit the way we have the past few games. I think we'll come around...

Good wins, but the last 4 wins came against Kansas St. & Tx State. Gotta do it against better competition & then we'll see. Texas is without a doubt very talented.

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Good wins, but the last 4 wins came against Kansas St. & Tx State. Gotta do it against better competition & then we'll see. Texas is without a doubt very talented.

true..But we all know confidence can be a huge factor in the success of a team, and if this past week can help create that for Texas they can still be a very dangerous team

TMer25
04-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Kyle Russell finally finding his stroke has been a big positive in the past couple of weeks.

Antec
04-30-2008, 04:03 PM
His Dad Don

Owns a car repair shop in Weimar

a super family, and Kenn's grandfather
played sort of a semi pro ball

Kenn's Brother Matthew played at Temple JC and Sam Houston State University

A super nice family that im great to be friends with

g$$
05-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
true..But we all know confidence can be a huge factor in the success of a team, and if this past week can help create that for Texas they can still be a very dangerous team

Agree, but Texas has to prove they can do it consistently against top teams. So far, they have not done that (overall record mediocre & below .500 in Big 12 play). I know they are talented because I have followed & watched most of their players for years, but it hasn't clicked yet. Kyle Russell is all or none, Ks way too much. Very streaky hitter w/ serious holes in swing that can be exposed. Texas has made a ton of errors on year too. If they get hot & get some solid pitching, look out. Scary team if that happens...

Bull19
05-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Agree, but Texas has to prove they can do it consistently against top teams. So far, they have not done that (overall record mediocre & below .500 in Big 12 play). I know they are talented because I have followed & watched most of their players for years, but it hasn't clicked yet. Kyle Russell is all or none, Ks way too much. Very streaky hitter w/ serious holes in swing that can be exposed. Texas has made a ton of errors on year too. If they get hot & get some solid pitching, look out. Scary team if that happens... true.

texas hitters have looked terrible this year against the off-speed. they are mainly a fastball hitting team, and imo that has been their main problem. esp. russel when it comes to hitting the slow stuff

Panther One
05-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Kenn's Brother Matthew played at Temple JC and Sam Houston State University

His brother's name is Andrew...just fyi.

g$$
05-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
true.

texas hitters have looked terrible this year against the off-speed. they are mainly a fastball hitting team, and imo that has been their main problem. esp. russel when it comes to hitting the slow stuff

Very true. NEB's Tyler Weber 2-hit them in Austin working off his knuckle-curve to establish & locate his mid to upper 80s fastball (pitching backwards). Texas never adjusted. Good pitchers get Russell out right under his hands & soft away. If he gets extended with an aluminum bat, look out. His dismal #s playing in the Cape Cod League hitting w/ wood prove that. Unless he makes major adjustments, he will be a career minor leaguer w/ plus pop. Swing is very long w/ holes. Texas has team of thumpers but they have not played the usual Augie-ball this year very well. Augie likes to play small ball & manufacture runs. His team is better suited to hit 3-run HRs & they are poor defensively. Clark has been hurt (shoulder) & now playing 3B. Thus the results are very unlike Texas this year - at least so far..

eagles_victory
05-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Hasnt texas been upset in the regionals the last 2 years after winning the NC in 05?

zebrablue2
05-01-2008, 07:13 PM
congrats to ken. couldn't happen to a nicer kid. I hope he makes it in the pros someday...

g$$
05-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Hasnt texas been upset in the regionals the last 2 years after winning the NC in 05?

Yes, & in their own Regionals as host school.

Stanford in '06 @ Austin
UC-Irvine (good team) in '07 @ Round Rock (while renovating DF)

Texas won't be hosting this year. Probably going to Rice or out West as a #3 Regional seed. How they finish season will determine that. 64 teams make it, 16 Regionals (4 teams in each), 8 Super Regionals (2 schools in each), & final 8 teams go to Omaha for CWS.

A&M, NEB, & OK State are all in contention for a top 8 national seed, which means you host Regionals & if win Supers.

BwdLions
05-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

Yes, but winning a national championship just two years ago is still impressive. They have a much better baseball history than most Big XII teams.

NastySlot
05-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Yes, but winning a national championship just two years ago is still impressive. They have a much better baseball history than most Big XII teams.

go a step further.......they have a much better baseball history than most schools in DI.......hard press to find one better.....probably USC.....more titles....but texas is a power year in year out.

hookandladder
05-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, & in their own Regionals as host school.

Stanford in '06 @ Austin
UC-Irvine (good team) in '07 @ Round Rock (while renovating DF)

Texas won't be hosting this year. Probably going to Rice or out West as a #3 Regional seed. How they finish season will determine that. 64 teams make it, 16 Regionals (4 teams in each), 8 Super Regionals (2 schools in each), & final 8 teams go to Omaha for CWS.

A&M, NEB, & OK State are all in contention for a top 8 national seed, which means you host Regionals & if win Supers.

If Texas can get hot going into a Regional, I would bet no team in the Country would be happy to see them in their Regional. I will be at Omaha for the CWS, I am hoping some Texas teams make it. Maybe Rice or Texas, just can't see A&M making it. They seem to always find a way to lose.

NastySlot
05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
dang i just got into a war of words with you on another topic and your going to omaha....my son and i were thinking of making the trip.....maybe we can hash out our differences and if i do make it...we can sit down for a dinner.

hookandladder
05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
dang i just got into a war of words with you on another topic and your going to omaha....my son and i were thinking of making the trip.....maybe we can hash out our differences and if i do make it...we can sit down for a dinner.

My son will be playing in a tournament that starts the Monday of the CWS. So we will be between him playing and watching the CWS.

NastySlot
05-02-2008, 01:19 PM
that is the best of both worlds....watching your son and the college world series...imo the series is the purest of all the ncaa sports and championships.

g$$
05-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
If Texas can get hot going into a Regional, I would bet no team in the Country would be happy to see them in their Regional. I will be at Omaha for the CWS, I am hoping some Texas teams make it. Maybe Rice or Texas, just can't see A&M making it. They seem to always find a way to lose.

Your burnt orange is shining through...agreed Texas is very talented but consistent pitching & defense have been problem areas all year. Lots of power in line-up, but not a usual small ball Augie team. A&M made the CWS in 1993 & 1999 - should have in 1989 but choked - so to say they always find a way to lose is wrong. Won a CWS game in 1993. I would agree that we need to do better but I would not write them off. Very young on mound this year too. Childress has it going for years to come.

Your son playing in the elite select ball tourney held in conjunction with the CWS? Good ball right there. Best of luck to him.

g$$
05-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions

No doubt, never disputed that. USC has the most titles with 11 (I believe). Texas has 6 titles, including a run recently where they won 2, finished 2nd & a 3rd. Absolutely a baseball power then & now.

But this year, they are very average, esp. by their standards. Will they get hot? We'll see but I am skeptical of their chances given the deficiencies they have shown all year. You win with pitching, defense, & timely hitting - areas of concern all season.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder

Everything I've heard about aTm indicates they are the real deal. When looking at the stats g$$ gave about when they've gone to CWS, it looks like they're due as well. Should be interesting to watch.

And lately, the Horns have been the ones finding a way to lose. We were GOOD last year, and should have been hoisting the Championship Plaque, or whatever it is.

You never know what will happen or who will make it. That's why they play the games, as cliche as it sounds.