04-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Kansas City

Necks_Fan
04-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Kansas City Ah, thanks.

injuredinmelee
04-29-2008, 10:39 PM
I see him as a project. His first half of last season was dismal at best. One of the kids that should have stayed in school one more year.

Astrosdawg07
04-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I see him as a project. His first half of last season was dismal at best. One of the kids that should have stayed in school one more year.

I agree as well, I think another year to prove himself and he would have been a 1st rounder...

kepdawg
04-29-2008, 10:48 PM
I don't think coming back to Texas would have done him much good.

Fotbol
04-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Kansas City
He'll be coached by and Ex-Marlin Bulldog, Ex- TCU Horned Frog,
and a good friend of mine Curtis "The Juice" Modkins, the older Brother to Jeremy Modkins the QB that Loss to La Grange in 2000.
Curtis and Chan Gailey are former Georgia Tech Coaches.
I'll have to ask Juice about Glenn Dorsey also!

g$$
04-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Fotbol
He'll be coached by and Ex-Marlin Bulldog, Ex- TCU Horned Frog,
and a good friend of mine Curtis "The Juice" Modkins, the older Brother to Jeremy Modkins the QB that Loss to La Grange in 2000.
Curtis and Chan Gailey are former Georgia Tech Coaches.
I'll have to ask Juice about Glenn Dorsey also!

How did Curtis Modkins get that nickname? I remember him playing just curious about name origin.

Jamaal Charles (IMO) will be a solid pro & change of pace back. He is not an every down guy. Speed to burn but can he run it b/t the tackles? Could possibly help in return game too. You can't teach speed & he has plenty of it.

Fotbol
04-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by g$$
How did Curtis Modkins get that nickname? I remember him playing just curious about name origin.
Believe it or not, His favorite RB was O.J. Simpson

Jamaal Charles (IMO) will be a solid pro & change of pace back. He is not an every down guy. Speed to burn but can he run it b/t the tackles? Could possibly help in return game too. You can't teach speed & he has plenty of it. :
:D

g$$
04-30-2008, 09:34 AM
:
:D

That was my guess, was leery to ask it. OJ's offensive line's nickname is one of my all-time favorites. Who gave OJ the juice? The "Electric Company" w/ Joe DeLamieurre (sp) & the gang...can't lie, I enjoyed watching him run the ball when I was a kid too. Earl Campbell was my favorite by far though.

Fotbol
04-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by g$$
That was my guess, was leery to ask it. OJ's offensive line's nickname is one of my all-time favorites. Who gave OJ the juice? The "Electric Company" w/ Joe DeLamieurre (sp) & the gang...can't lie, I enjoyed watching him run the ball when I was a kid too. Earl Campbell was my favorite by far though. Earl was mine too, met him a few times as a kid, and an adult, doesn't look so good now, seen him in Austin a few years back, man he really is messed up!

g$$
04-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Earl was mine too, met him a few times as a kid, and an adult, doesn't look so good now, seen him in Austin a few years back, man he really is messed up!

Me too. My Dad had connections & we went into UT's locker room a couple of times when I was a kid & Earl was playing (& others), then later he spoke at our hs sports banquet. Sweeny's former asst. football coach/head basketball & now Supt. Randy Miksch played football with Earl at Texas. Prized possession is signed picture of Earl accepting Heisman Trophy personalized to me with his signature. I'm not an autograph guy, but that one is special to me. His health is poor now but he's still ol' Earl. State of Texas legend & such great memories for so many of us.

Fotbol
04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Me too. My Dad had connections & we went into UT's locker room a couple of times when I was a kid & Earl was playing (& others), then later he spoke at our hs sports banquet. Sweeny's former asst. football coach/head basketball & now Supt. Randy Miksch played football with Earl at Texas. Prized possession is signed picture of Earl accepting Heisman Trophy personalized to me with his signature. I'm not an autograph guy, but that one is special to me. His health is poor now but he's still ol' Earl. State of Texas legend & such great memories for so many of us.
Yeah I still remember the hit Mel Blount put on him when they played the Pittsburg Steelers, I still don't like the Steelers to this day!

DDBooger
04-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Me too. My Dad had connections & we went into UT's locker room a couple of times when I was a kid & Earl was playing (& others), then later he spoke at our hs sports banquet. Sweeny's former asst. football coach/head basketball & now Supt. Randy Miksch played football with Earl at Texas. Prized possession is signed picture of Earl accepting Heisman Trophy personalized to me with his signature. I'm not an autograph guy, but that one is special to me. His health is poor now but he's still ol' Earl. State of Texas legend & such great memories for so many of us. I went to his football camp when I was a freshman in HS. Pretty crazy when Earl Campbell is doing wake up calls.

g$$
04-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah I still remember the hit Mel Blount put on him when they played the Pittsburg Steelers, I still don't like the Steelers to this day!

I remember the Jack Tatum hit more. Earl twisted & scored on the play at the Dome but they both were knocked out & had concussions. One of hardest hits - maybe hardest - I have ever seen & those 2 guys could bring it.

Blount was a CB for the ages. 9 HOFs on those Steelers' teams plus Coach Chuck Noll. The Houston "Earlers" were pretty much Earl & a few others (Bethea was nearing end, Brazile could play, Pastorini, Burrough, etc.). Earl took such a beating & it shows today (plus he has congenital back condition). Luv Ya Blue with Bum & the Boys brings back such fond memories of my youth. Good times. Not a fan of Steelers to this day either!

g$$
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
I went to his football camp when I was a freshman in HS. Pretty crazy when Earl Campbell is doing wake up calls.

Did they serve Earl Campbell's sausage for breakfast?

I bet those calls were something else. Speaking skills aren't Earl's forte'... ;)

DDBooger
04-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by g$$

I bet those calls were something else. Speaking skills aren't Earl's forte'... ;) he actually entered the rooms and shook everyone awake. his camp was pretty tough. it was like two-a-days but with celebrity football players. I was tired by the time it was over but it was fun.

g$$
04-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
he actually entered the rooms and shook everyone awake. his camp was pretty tough. it was like two-a-days but with celebrity football players. I was tired by the time it was over but it was fun.

Gotcha, door to door. I hate those deals. Hear them coming a few doors away. I attended basketball camps but we didn't sleep there. Never went to football or baseball camps. Where was camp, in Austin or Houston or Tyler? Who were some other former players?

Fotbol
04-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by g$$

I bet those calls were something else. Speaking skills aren't Earl's forte'... ;)
It's from all that Skoal hit Dip, Skoal Brother!:D

DDBooger
04-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Gotcha, door to door. I hate those deals. Hear them coming a few doors away. I attended basketball camps but we didn't sleep there. Never went to football or baseball camps. Where was camp, in Austin or Houston or Tyler? Who were some other former players? camp was in San Marcos, and can't remember who the players were, my father knew them all, along with college coaches, which im sure had a vested interest in seeing alot of the seniors and juniors who were showcased there.

g$$
04-30-2008, 10:46 AM
It's from all that Skoal hit Dip, Skoal Brother!:D

What was the line:

"Pinch between your cheek & gum...Skoal brother." Earl did a furniture ad back in the day too. He was the man back then.

Former OL Morris Towns tells a great story about him & Earl over at Bum's old ranch house (now State Farm office) on Hwy 6 in Missouri City. Funny stuff & they shot an old cow that needed to be mercy killed...Morris set Earl up & had him thinking Bum was mad. Said it was Bum's pet cow. Turns out Bum & Morris set the whole deal up. Morris Towns works for the State Hwy Dept. with a friend of mine. Good guy & HUGE. Those former players absolutely love Bum Phillips.

Fotbol
04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by g$$
What was the line:

"Pinch between your cheek & gum...Skoal brother." Earl did a furniture ad back in the day too. He was the man back then.

Former OL Morris Towns tells a great story about him & Earl over at Bum's old ranch house (now State Farm office) on Hwy 6 in Missouri City. Funny stuff & they shot an old cow that needed to be mercy killed...Morris set Earl up & had him thinking Bum was mad. Said it was Bum's pet cow. Turns out Bum & Morris set the whole deal up. Morris Towns works for the State Hwy Dept. with a friend of mine. Good guy & HUGE. Those former players absolutely love Bum Phillips.
yeah Bum was the man, with those luv ya Blue Ostrich Cowboy boots. Now Wade is trying to be the man in Dallas!

g$$
04-30-2008, 11:33 AM
yeah Bum was the man, with those luv ya Blue Ostrich Cowboy boots. Now Wade is trying to be the man in Dallas!

Many of the same character traits. Bum was a master team builder. One for all, all for one stuff. Rally the troops. That's what is so tough for me: I can't stand Jerry Jones but really like Wade Phillips. I think Wade is short-term anyway w/ Jason Garrett waiting in wings. Wade is a good football coach just like his dad. Bum invented the defensive #ing system fyi...defensive techniques like 2 tech, 6 tech, etc. Tweaked the 3-4 defense (speed & blitzing) way back in the '70s to what it has become again today. He was ahead of his time in many regards, often overshadowed by his homespun humor & charm. The man knew his stuff.

Fotbol
04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Wade wins the Superbowl this year, I said it last year, Dallas was a year away, but the Texans get into the Playoffs this year, bye the skin of their teeth!

g$$
04-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Wade wins the Superbowl this year, I said it last year, Dallas was a year away, but the Texans get into the Playoffs this year, bye the skin of their teeth!

We'll all have to wait & see. Hope you're right on Texans. Could finally make playoffs as they have made strides. Dallas? Definitely in hunt to win it all. See how the pieces fit...

nobogey72
04-30-2008, 12:03 PM

My favorite "Earl run" was against the Rams and he absolutely torched Isaiah Robertson (#58 LB) who was waiting for Earl in the hole and was going to "form tackle" him. Earl put his face mask in the middle of Isaiah's 5 & 8 and Earl never broke stride.

g$$
04-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
My favorite "Earl run" was against the Rams and he absolutely torched Isaiah Robertson (#58 LB) who was waiting for Earl in the hole and was going to "form tackle" him. Earl put his face mask in the middle of Isaiah's 5 & 8 and Earl never broke stride.

Remember that one too. Robertson had done a bunch of talking too leading up to that game, then he got trucked. Earl's jersey ripped & all that too but he made a great run & might have even scored. That was a classic run shown often on highlights. I was watching the game with my Dad. Good stuff.