PDA

View Full Version : Possible Power Outages (Again!) by High Winds

Administrator
07-14-2003, 10:53 PM
Everyone by now knows where the server's are located, Bridge City. Tropical Storm (soon to be Hurricane?) Claudette has been nudging slighly closer to the area, with more of a WNW Movement now (Towards Galveston south to Freeport area) The winds here in Bridge City have been blowing pretty steady all day long here, and according to the news here, winds could increase and gust to 60MPH in some of the storms. Although we should not feel the brunt of this storm, lengthy Power Outages are not out of the question. Winds just 30 Miles S of Bridge City offshore in the Gulf of Mexico are currently blowing at about 45 MPH with higher gusts according to a weatherbug location out there. 45 MPH Winds will easily knock down power lines (as our power company, Entergy, doesn't know how to keep tree's trimmed, lol). If a power outage does occur, Battery Backup will provide power to the server for only about 1 hour. If the storm makes landfall in Galveston, worse conditions are expected here than what is currently projected for tomorrow afternoon and evening. At least it's not a Cat. 4 bearing down on us this time -- Don't have to move servers to higher ground!! I will update this in the morning and inform everyone of the weather conditions here in the Golden Triangle, and let you know if power outages are still possible.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-14-2003, 11:32 PM
WOO HOO!!!!!!!! I LOVE Tropical Storms!!!! They're a blast! Too bad it didn't head towards Port Isabel, they need the rain BADLY.

Vrabird
07-14-2003, 11:45 PM
Well you can have them!! I think they are a real pain in the rear. Especially this one! Don't know where it will end up, but last I heard it's headed to Rockport and Aransas County. Be glad to see this one die out already.

exbccards76'smom
07-14-2003, 11:57 PM
On my way home from work tonight, the winds in Port Arthur were already shaking road signs and redlights around. I hope that we have no power outages. We have no way to cook in this new trailer...it's all electric. Everyone batten down the hatches, we're in for a big blow. Keep safe tonight and tomorrow. wink

SintonFan
07-15-2003, 12:42 AM
San Antonio has been the 'calm before the storm'...

<small>[ July 15, 2003, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: SintonFan ]</small>

Blackcat03
07-15-2003, 01:57 AM
I hope all of yall down that way stay safe and as dry as possible. Yall will be in my prayers.

exbccards76'smom
07-15-2003, 08:44 AM
just to let everyone know, so far, just a little rain here in Bridge City. Winds not hardly blowing at all. My prayers are with everyone else that's keeping an eye on Claudette.

Administrator
07-15-2003, 09:32 AM
Luckily it seems the feeder bands which could have caused the power outages have already moved away from here and the closest band is in Galveston, 90 miles to our west. Power Outages are probably not going to happen. Winds are still blowing about 20 MPH wigh higher gusts, but ast the system moves, the possibility will diminish. This is our 4th 'close call' in less than a one year period.. Isadore, Lili last year was supposed to hit dead center here, and Bill and Claudette this year.. Will we escape the next storm? Only time will tell.

Old Green
07-15-2003, 02:53 PM
It hit here in the Victoria area about 11:30. A lot of wind and rain. Right now the eye is about 20 miles SW of here.