PDA

View Full Version : Astros-D'Backs

Bull Butter
04-28-2008, 09:04 PM
I just turned this game on and noticed there are no announcers. I wonder if it has been this way the entire game?

This reminds me of that experiment that NBC used in the 80's when they did that Jets-Dolphins game with no announcers

kepdawg
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
There are announcers on my TV.

Bull's-eye
04-28-2008, 09:08 PM
I got announcers on my TV, might want to check the mute button. :D

Bull Butter
04-28-2008, 09:09 PM
All we're getting is what the ballpark mic picks up, along with the PA announcer and stadium music.

coach
04-28-2008, 09:11 PM
not on mine

Bull's-eye
04-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
All we're getting is what the ballpark mic picks up, along with the PA announcer and stadium music.

Do you have cable? On the menu, click setup, then audio setup, make sure your audio is on english and not default or spanish. I had the same trouble on FSN about a year ago.

coach
04-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Do you have cable? On the menu, click setup, then audio setup, make sure your audio is on english and not default or spanish. I had the same trouble on FSN about a year ago.

its on english still nothing

Necks_Fan
04-28-2008, 09:18 PM
I got announcers. Same ole JD and Bill we always got.

On a side note, the Astros are currently getting no-hit on the 4th inning.

10 straight retired to this point.

Bull Butter
04-28-2008, 09:22 PM
It's the same on all 3 TVs in the house.

One thing I've noticed is that the D'Backs PA guy is nowhere near as good as Bob Ford

Bull's-eye
04-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Turn down the TV sound and listen to Milo on the radio.

Bull Butter
04-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Milo doesn't do road games anymore, only in ballparks he's never visited (like the new Washington park later this year)

Bull19
04-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Milo doesn't do road games anymore, only in ballparks he's never visited (like the new Washington park later this year) anybody else notice that the swimming pool in right field needs more chlorine?

Bull's-eye
04-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Milo doesn't do road games anymore, only in ballparks he's never visited (like the new Washington park later this year)

I don't like those new guys.

Bull19
04-28-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't like those new guys. i wish alan ashby was still around. i enjoyed his coloring!

Bull's-eye
04-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Larry Dierker got better as the innings went by or was it the more he had to drink. :D

Bull19
04-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Larry Dierker got better as the innings went by or was it the more he had to drink. :D or was it the more YOU had to drink ;)

Bull's-eye
04-28-2008, 09:52 PM
That also made him better.........remember I grew up with "Mr. Excitement" Gene Elston.

Bull19
04-28-2008, 10:21 PM
what about randy reets?

Bull's-eye
04-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
what about randy reets?

He's Da Man!!

Bull's-eye
04-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Astros lose 5-3 to Arizona

FormerBellvilleBrahma
04-28-2008, 11:30 PM
they got beat by 2.

g$$
04-29-2008, 07:24 AM
I don't like those new guys.

Agreed. And Alan Ashby is sorely missed too. He helped & covered poor Milo (can't see at old age) for years. Ashby's color commentary & insight on the radio is missed by anyone who loves baseball.

Bases loaded, 1 out in 5th, Matusi & Bourn both Ked. That was ballgame in a nutshell. Sampson is better suited for pen too. Bring up Nieve soon! Release Moehler. Bourn can flat fly but you can't steal 1st base. LONG way to go as a hitter.

Need a couple of wins to get back on track. Dbacks are for real though, solid team & young. Gonna be tough.

g$$
04-29-2008, 07:28 AM
That also made him better.........remember I grew up with "Mr. Excitement" Gene Elston.

Hey, Gene Elston was not a homer but the best we have ever had in the booth. Called the game & painted a picture. He's in the broadcast wing of the HOF for a reason. Class act too. Much better than showman Milo (also in HOF wing).

I miss Dierker as well, but I do like Jim Deshais too. Dry humor is classic at times, esp. Seinfeld references.

crzyjournalist03
04-29-2008, 09:48 AM
It's the same on all 3 TVs in the house.

One thing I've noticed is that the D'Backs PA guy is nowhere near as good as Bob Ford

Are you on a satellite? I've run into that problem before on sporting events when I've switched channels...something about the box doesn't pick up both audio levels that are being sent out. I've found that if you change the channel and then change it back a few seconds later, the audio picks up again.

Although sometimes I've found that I enjoy watching the game without the announcers, especially C grade NFL games.

Reds fan
04-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Hey, Gene Elston was not a homer but the best we have ever had in the booth. Called the game & painted a picture. He's in the broadcast wing of the HOF for a reason. Class act too. Much better than showman Milo (also in HOF wing).

I miss Dierker as well, but I do like Jim Deshais too. Dry humor is classic at times, esp. Seinfeld references.

Grew up with Elston and Lowell Passe on the radio also, will always remember Lowell's "now you chunkin' 'em in there" line....

Maroon87
04-29-2008, 10:10 AM

Your local cable or satellite provider has their audio channels incorrectly configured. You're hearing "nat" sound when you should be hearing nats + program audio.

At least that's my educated guess....:thinking:

Bull's-eye
04-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Gene was very good, I thought he did better at the national level. He definately wasn't a homer, but he didn't get too excited for either team, specially the Astros.

g$$
04-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Gene was very good, I thought he did better at the national level. He definately wasn't a homer, but he didn't get too excited for either team, specially the Astros.

You have a right to your opinion, just like Dick Wagner who fired Gene Elston for Milo Hamilton. He wanted a rah-rah guy, which Gene was not & never would be. He loved the Astros but called the game objectively & concisely. Remember his Mike Scott no-hitter call? Or Nolan's no-hitter vs. Dodgers? Classic Elston & get out of the way. I actually spoke to him about this at his book signing a few years back. Great book by the way. And, no love lost between him & Milo. Milo has taken some shots at him in the past. Milo is hated in many circles for his ego & boasting.

Elston & Passe were classic, Reds Fan. I was a big fan of Elston & his class/professionalism over the air. Vin Scully is not a homer either. You don't have to be a yeller & screamer to be entertaining & one of the best at your profession.