PDA

View Full Version : Forney Graduate Caleb Hanie signs with Bears

crzyjournalist03
04-28-2008, 09:11 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/apr/28/csus-hanie-chooses-bears-over-cowboys/

For the first time since 2002, and for only the second time since 1996, no Colorado State University football player was selected in the NFL draft.

Several former Rams, though, pacified their disappointment by agreeing to terms as free agents after the completion of Sunday's draft, including two Colorado natives - defensive end Jesse Nading of Highlands Ranch and punter Jimmie Kaylor of Northglenn - as well as quarterback Caleb Hanie.

Hanie chose the Chicago Bears over the team he grew up rooting for, the Dallas Cowboys, after being all but assured that, at the very least, he will land a spot on Chicago's practice squad.

Nading agreed to terms with the Houston Texans, who are coached by former Broncos quarterback and offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak - whose sons, Klay and Klint, were teammates of Nading's at CSU.

Kaylor will sign with the Atlanta Falcons.

"I had to pass up Dallas - I love Jason Garrett and Wade Wilson as their quarterbacks coach," Hanie said. "I loved Dallas growing up and I'm a big fan, but they have Tony Romo and I thought this would be my best opportunity."

Despite its offensive woes, Chicago did not draft a quarterback, even with five selections in the final round. According to Hanie, Bears officials said the two free-agent quarterbacks the club brings in will compete for the No. 3 job while Kyle Orton and Rex Grossman battle for the staring job. The other free-agent signee likely will be assigned to the club's practice squad.

Chicago signed Nick Hill from Southern Illinois to compete with Hanie.

Hanie's impressive offseason helped elevate his name on teams' draft boards, and he had been mentioned several times as a late-round sleeper by omnipresent ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

Hanie said he started getting a bit anxious after Southern Cal quarterback John David Booty was selected with the second pick of the fifth round, yet Hanie's name was not announced among the seven quarterbacks taken the rest of the way.

"I hoped for the best and prepared for the worst," Hanie said. "You always want to be drafted, but it was nice to have options. Since I had six or seven teams interested, it was a good opportunity to be able to choose and have a little power that way.

"If a team had just picked me to bring to camp as an arm, that would have been a bad situation. So at the very least I will be on the practice squad and I have a great opportunity to compete for the No. 3. In the next two or three years, if those guys don't work out, I can move in and compete for the job."

I was really hoping that he'd come to Dallas, but I really understand why he went to Chicago...the third string QB could end up starting games by the end of the year there.

jason
04-28-2008, 09:14 AM
cool....

kaorder1999
04-28-2008, 09:16 AM
:clap:

Rabbit'93
04-28-2008, 09:53 AM
awesome!!!!:clap: :clap:

eagles_victory
04-28-2008, 02:54 PM
He just got a lot of love from Mel Kiper Jr.... Mel said he would be the Bears third string QB and had a good chance to play under center for the Bears as a starter.

crzyjournalist03
04-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
He just got a lot of love from Mel Kiper Jr.... Mel said he would be the Bears third string QB and had a good chance to play under center for the Bears as a starter.

Is Brian Griese still on the team? Because if it's Kyle Orton and Rex Grossman, Caleb will have a legit shot at starting this year!

Emerson1
04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Mel has been very high on him, he had him as one of the most underrated players of the draft.