PDA

View Full Version : Aggie walkoff....

NastySlot
04-27-2008, 04:12 PM
gets the sweep and just beat the curfew.

GetRDoneStangs
04-27-2008, 04:14 PM
That was a heck of a game.....Mizzou pitcher threw over 140 pitches....it was apparently "1" too many!!!

crabman
04-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Travis Starling (Yoakum), for at least the third time this year, loses the save and comes back to get the win.

zebrablue2
04-27-2008, 06:31 PM
congrats to the aggies on the SWEEP...

NastySlot
04-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
That was a heck of a game.....Mizzou pitcher threw over 140 pitches....it was apparently "1" too many!!!

I was very impressed with the missouri pitcher...they hadn't faired well on sunday's but this guy pitched a heck of a game....got stronger as the game went on.

g$$
04-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
I was very impressed with the missouri pitcher...they hadn't faired well on sunday's but this guy pitched a heck of a game....got stronger as the game went on.

I was too - reminded me of a young Andy Pettitte at times. Even resembled him, lefty, lots of cutters, etc. Coach for Mizzou left him in way too long - that's 140+ pitches, good way to hurt the kid. Great win & NEB lost too. We're up 2.5 games w/ 6 to play for Big 12 Title. Not gonna be easy but in a good spot. Colligan juiced that ball out of the park. Starling & Thebeau were not as sharp Sunday but a W is a W. Ehlert pitched very well to get a ND.

On the curfew, is it no inning can start on Sunday past 72 hours from series' 1st pitch (Friday)? Or 72 hours from arrival? What exactly is it? I don't understand why they all just don't start at noon on Sunday to avoid this (Church I guess is reason for fans, etc.). Hate ties, so glad it didn't happen.

NastySlot
04-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I was too - reminded of a young Andy Pettitte at times. Even resembled him, lefty, lots of cutters, etc. Coach for Mizzou left him in way too long - that's 140+ pitches. Great win & NEB lost too. We're up 2.5 games w/ 6 to play for Big 12 Title. Not gonna be easy but in a good spot. Colligan juiced that ball out of the park. Starling & Thebeau were not as sharp Sunday but a W is a W. Ehlert pitched very well to get a ND.

On the curfew, is it no inning can start on Sunday past 72 hours from series' 1st pitch (Friday)? Or 72 hours from arrival? What exactly is it? I don't understand why they all just don't start at noon on Sunday to avoid this (Church I guess is reason for fans, etc.). Hate ties, so glad it didn't happen.

hey about the curfew...my son just texted me going into the bottom half of the tenth...and told me it's do or die...cause they wouldn't go one more....didn't want the tie. and bam...walkoff.

hey i was going to ask you a question you know a lot about aggie athletics.....you might know this... should the big XII on line store be selling A&M clothing with the Nike Logo..even though A&M is an Adidas school now...I notice all the clothes were Nike.

g$$
04-28-2008, 01:22 AM
hey about the curfew...my son just texted me going into the bottom half of the tenth...and told me it's do or die...cause they wouldn't go one more....didn't want the tie. and bam...walkoff.

hey i was going to ask you a question you know a lot about aggie athletics.....you might know this... should the big XII on line store be selling A&M clothing with the Nike Logo..even though A&M is an Adidas school now...I notice all the clothes were Nike.

My understanding is they can sell the remaining Nike stuff in stock but all new gear must be Adidas. Don't quote me on that as I don't work at A&M anymore, but that's what I was told. You will see Nike gear in the stores some too. Same thing applies. Adidas is our athletic supplier now & paid us very well too (more than Nike by a large sum). Adidas wanted a strong presence in the South & esp in Texas. A&M can provide that for them. Under Arlour has some A&M gear out there too but I think you will continue to see theirs somewhat moving forward.

On the curfew, we played longer last weekend vs. Baylor on Sunday. Must be because Mizzou had to catch a flight home.

NastySlot
04-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by g$$
My understanding is they can sell the remaining Nike stuff in stock but all new gear must be Adidas. Don't quote me on that as I don't work at A&M anymore, but that's what I was told. You will see Nike gear in the stores some too. Same thing applies. Adidas is our athletic supplier now & paid us very well too (more than Nike by a large sum). Adidas wanted a strong presence in the South & esp in Texas. A&M can provide that for them. Under Arlour has some A&M gear out there too but I think you will continue to see theirs somewhat moving forward.

On the curfew, we played longer last weekend vs. Baylor on Sunday. Must be because Mizzou had to catch a flight home.

I would think the curfew had to do with missouri having to catch a flight.....

I really thinking about trying to get down to c.s. to catch one of the texas games....i have to get down there sometime help my son get things into storage...so i might as well make it an enjoyable trip....aggie baseball...wings and more and freebirds....maybe even the chicken....to have cold one with my son...he just turned twenty-one.

g$$
04-28-2008, 01:46 AM
I would think the curfew had to do with missouri having to catch a flight.....

I really thinking about trying to get down to c.s. to catch one of the texas games....i have to get down there sometime help my son get things into storage...so i might as well make it an enjoyable trip....aggie baseball...wings and more and freebirds....maybe even the chicken....to have cold one with my son...he just turned twenty-one.

Absolutely, jump on that. I bet he can get you in down there where they sit on 1st base side too (grounds crew). Go enjoy it & have a few cold ones! Sat. game will be electric.

buff4life
04-28-2008, 01:54 AM
congrats to the ags...showing not just the Big XII but the country they mean business

g$$
04-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Thanks Buff, long way to go but doing well. Childress & players should be commended. Program was way down 3 years ago when he arrived.

g$$
04-28-2008, 02:16 AM
A&M has won 3 Big 12 games over the past 2 weekends in this fashion:

walk-off hit batsman w/ bases loaded of course (Baylor)
walk-off balk w/ bases loaded & no outs scores winning run (Mizzou)
walk-off solo HR (Mizzou)

We are living right & taking advantage of the breaks, & creating some of our own too. Good teams do that. Just a special streak going right now & school record 5 series sweeps in a row (15 game Big 12 winning streak is a league record).

Panther One
04-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Regarding apparel, any brand can sell A&M merchandise if they pay the licensing fee, and any store can sell it. Adidas is the official supplier of A&M athletics, so our athletes won't be wearing anything but Adidas (except for track; they still wear Nike), but there's no restrictions on other comapnies making or selling A&M products.

Regarding the baseball game, the ump behind the plate had a very generous strike zone, giving a few inches off the edge of the plate. Combine that with the cooler weather and the wind blowing in and things were set up to have a pitcher's duel. Kudos to Childress for playing small ball in the first and manufacturing a run. I thought the Mizzou coach left his pitcher in too long, also, but considering that A&M had lit up everyone in their bullpen in the previous two games, he probably felt that was his best chance.

For the remaining six conference games, a record of 3-3 (including at least one win over Neb) will give the Aggies the Big 12 title. If we take two from Nebraska, we'll clinch the regular season title.

NastySlot
04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
Regarding apparel, any brand can sell A&M merchandise if they pay the licensing fee, and any store can sell it. Adidas is the official supplier of A&M athletics, so our athletes won't be wearing anything but Adidas (except for track; they still wear Nike), but there's no restrictions on other comapnies making or selling A&M products.

Regarding the baseball game, the ump behind the plate had a very generous strike zone, giving a few inches off the edge of the plate. Combine that with the cooler weather and the wind blowing in and things were set up to have a pitcher's duel. Kudos to Childress for playing small ball in the first and manufacturing a run. I thought the Mizzou coach left his pitcher in too long, also, but considering that A&M had lit up everyone in their bullpen in the previous two games, he probably felt that was his best chance.

For the remaining six conference games, a record of 3-3 (including at least one win over Neb) will give the Aggies the Big 12 title. If we take two from Nebraska, we'll clinch the regular season title.

lets hope for two wins.....

Bull19
04-28-2008, 11:25 AM
ags opened my eyes this weekend. be intersting to see if they can continue to play like this the rest of the conference and tourny

NastySlot
04-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
ags opened my eyes this weekend. be intersting to see if they can continue to play like this the rest of the conference and tourny

you know baseball it will be very tough.............who knows what will happen in the conference tourney"

Panther One
04-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I just hope we approach the TCU game on Tuesday and the Dallas Baptist series next weekend like we have been our conference games. In my opinion, we looked very flat two weeks ago against Rice, like the game didn't matter. We need to bring that "never say die" attitude the rest of the season. These next four games are going to be big RPI games.

NastySlot
04-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I just hope we approach the TCU game on Tuesday and the Dallas Baptist series next weekend like we have been our conference games. In my opinion, we looked very flat two weeks ago against Rice, like the game didn't matter. We need to bring that "never say die" attitude the rest of the season. These next four games are going to be big RPI games.

where can i find rpi's what is nebraska's?

Bull19
04-28-2008, 04:07 PM
I just hope we approach the TCU game on Tuesday and the Dallas Baptist series next weekend like we have been our conference games. In my opinion, we looked very flat two weeks ago against Rice, like the game didn't matter. We need to bring that "never say die" attitude the rest of the season. These next four games are going to be big RPI games. IT WOULDNT SUPRISE ME ONE BIT IF DALLAS BABTIST UPSET THE AGS. WHEN THEY ARE ON THEY ARE A REALLY GOOD TEAM.

Bull19
04-28-2008, 04:09 PM
where can i find rpi's what is nebraska's? http://pingbaseball.com/powerindex.php

NastySlot
04-28-2008, 05:56 PM
http://pingbaseball.com/powerindex.php

thanks

Global Swarming
04-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Two more sweeps to end conference would be great.

neck_06
04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
where can i find rpi's what is nebraska's?

boydsworld.com is the "official" unofficial RPI website..

GetRDoneStangs
04-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
Two more sweeps to end conference would be great.

That would be sweet.......and a great way to end Big 12 play .......:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Easier said than done......

g$$
04-29-2008, 07:12 AM
A&M's RPI should go up even more with series at Lincoln (NEB), plus DBU & Texas, then Big 12 Tourney. TCU tonight needs to be a win too.

Here are the RPI rankings as of now (4-28-08)...

Division I Overall
Rank Rating W L W L Team

1 0.660 36 5 36 5 Miami, Florida
2 0.655 35 7 35 7 Florida State
3 0.653 38 8 38 8 North Carolina
4 0.639 35 7 35 7 Arizona State
5 0.619 30 11 32 11 Oklahoma State
6 0.618 34 11 34 11 Rice
7 0.611 31 8 32 8 Nebraska
8 0.610 30 13 30 13 North Carolina State
9 0.610 28 10 28 10 UC Irvine
10 0.609 32 13 32 13 East Carolina
11 0.609 28 13 28 13 Arizona
12 0.608 25 13 25 13 Stanford
13 0.608 29 14 29 14 Georgia
14 0.607 20 14 20 14 Oregon State
15 0.606 31 13 31 13 Southern Mississippi
16 0.606 37 7 37 7 Texas A&M
17 0.606 31 14 31 14 South Carolina
18 0.606 36 9 36 9 Coastal Carolina
19 0.602 26 15 26 15 Cal State Fullerton
20 0.600 27 16 27 16 Florida

Top 8 national seeds if today IMO: Miami, FSU, UNC, ASU, Georgia, Rice, & 2 others from among NEB, A&M, Ok State, Stanford, UCI, maybe others ??.

Bull19
05-01-2008, 08:58 PM
IT WOULDNT SUPRISE ME ONE BIT IF DALLAS BABTIST UPSET THE AGS. WHEN THEY ARE ON THEY ARE A REALLY GOOD TEAM.

just saying....;)

g$$
05-01-2008, 09:11 PM
just saying....;)

And anyone who follows college baseball knows DBU can play. I just hope we can win the series.

Bull19
05-01-2008, 09:13 PM
im just saying those ags need to keep a level head.

g$$
05-01-2008, 09:23 PM
im just saying those ags need to keep a level head.

And I'm just saying you have doubted them all along, even after a Big 12 record 15 wins (5 sweeps) in a row. You pull hard for Rice b/c Buenger plays there now & how he left A&M. That's fine too, you have that right. Nobody has ever won 15 straight in tough Big 12 play (& counting). Try giving them some credit. My head is plenty level & I know how baseball works too. DBU is a solid team. Winning the series is what matters.

Bull19
05-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And I'm just saying you have doubted them all along, even after a Big 12 record 15 wins (5 sweeps) in a row. You pull hard for Rice b/c Buenger plays there now & how he left A&M. That's fine too, you have that right. Nobody has ever won 15 straight in tough Big 12 play (& counting). Try giving them some credit. My head is plenty level & I know how baseball works too. DBU is a solid team. Winning the series is what matters. buenger has nothing to do with anything. i support rice yes, because i have some close friends on the team, but i support a&m just the same as i do the owls.

i just get tired of reading all the crap about how a&m should be higher in the polls, a&m should have done this, or do that. im not saying you are the one who says this kind of stuff, im just saying the ags need to take it one game at a time, and w/e happens, happens.

g$$
05-01-2008, 10:02 PM
buenger has nothing to do with anything. i support rice yes, because i have some close friends on the team, but i support a&m just the same as i do the owls.

i just get tired of reading all the crap about how a&m should be higher in the polls, a&m should have done this, or do that. im not saying you are the one who says this kind of stuff, im just saying the ags need to take it one game at a time, and w/e happens, happens.

I support Rice too & I have always had a lot of respect for Wayne Graham. I begged my nephew to visit there but he wanted to play baseball at a school with big football Saturdays. Current Owl Bryan Price is a family friend of ours as well. And, I do know you are still ticked at how Childress/Buenger parted ways. You have said so in many posts. I wasn't there & don't know all the details. I do know Childress has done a great job following a classy guy & friend of mine, Mark Johnson, & we needed a change. It was time & the program had stagnated.

A&M is ranked in the top 10 in all polls (some top 5s too), including finally by Baseball America. Our RPI is currently #8 & will rise with upcoming games (DBU, NEB, Texas, Big 12 Tourney). I'm not counting on anything except we will play hard & fundamental baseball, then see what happens. But it would be nice if you would swallow your pride & give them some credit. You know baseball & not to do so is unfair to those guys getting it done.

Bull19
05-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I support Rice too & I have always had a lot of respect for Wayne Graham. I begged my nephew to visit there but he wanted to play baseball at a school with big football Saturdays. Current Owl Bryan Price is a family friend of ours as well. And, I do know you are still ticked at how Childress/Buenger parted ways. You have said so in many posts. I wasn't there & don't know all the details. I do know Childress has done a great job following a classy guy & friend of mine, Mark Johnson, & we needed a change. It was time & the program had stagnated.

A&M is ranked in the top 10 in all polls (some top 5s too), including finally by Baseball America. Our RPI is currently #8 & will rise with upcoming games (DBU, NEB, Texas, Big 12 Tourney). I'm not counting on anything except we will play hard & see what happens. But it would be nice if you would swallow your pride & give them some credit. You know baseball & not to do so is unfair to those guys getting it done.
swallow my pride? i have congratulated them on many occasion. the only time i dont cheer them on is when they play rice.

g$$
05-01-2008, 10:10 PM
swallow my pride? i have congratulated them on many occasion. the only time i dont cheer them on is when they play rice.

Cheering them on is doubting them at every turn? I've read your posts. That's an odd way of being objective. You have doubted their schedule & everything else. You finally said "the Ags opened my eyes" this week after we swept Mizzou.

No big deal, like I said I am not making predictions. I do like the direction of our program now. We'll see what happens. And, I root for Rice too UNLESS they are playing the Aggies.

Bull19
05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Cheering them on is doubting them at every turn? I've read your posts. That's an odd way of being objective. You have doubted their schedule & everything else. You finally said "the Ags opened my eyes" this week after we swept Mizzou.

true. i have doubted just how good they are this whole year, but after the mizzou series they did open my eyes and proved to me they are a legit team, but like i said its gunna be interesting to see if they can continue to play and win like they have the rest of their conference games.

go aggies
go owls
go all baseball teams

g$$
05-01-2008, 10:22 PM
true. i have doubted just how good they are this whole year, but after the mizzou series they did open my eyes and proved to me they are a legit team, but like i said its gunna be interesting to see if they can continue to play and win like they have the rest of their conference games.

go aggies
go owls
go all baseball teams

Agreed. A&M has been riding a high for quite a while now, so these next few games are going to be interesting. You are going to have some highs & lows in a long season. I just hope we have enough left in the tank to be peaking once Regionals get here.

Bull19
05-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed. A&M has been riding a high for quite a while now, so these next few games are going to be interesting. You are going to have some highs & lows in a long season. I just hope we have enough left in the tank to be peaking once Regionals get here. thats the one thing i've been thinking lately. they have been playing at such a high level lately, i dont know if they will have enough left to continue like they have into the post-season? only time will tell

Bull's-eye
05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
IT WOULDNT SUPRISE ME ONE BIT IF DALLAS BABTIST UPSET THE AGS. WHEN THEY ARE ON THEY ARE A REALLY GOOD TEAM.

Bull19........you nailed that one.

Panther One
05-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Bull19, you did bring this post back as if you found enjoyment in predicting the Ags getting upset. With some of the pitchers we used tonight, however, it really wasn't much of an upset. It was nice to see Minks get back on the mound, though, after a month without seeing any action.

If tonight was an audition to see what some of our other pitchers could do, I thinks Minks had the most favorable outing. Rivers just needs to be used as a situational lefty from here on out. Tonight, lefties were 1 for 3 against him with one HBP. The one hit was a bunt single. He recorded his lone K against a lefty and got another to ground into a double play. Gerald and Cravey have seen very little action this year, and that probably won't change after tonight. It's kind of hard to see either get anything but mop-up duty. Middleton really hasn't impressed of late, either.

Right now, I think we're set up better for a super regional than a regional. If we wind up having to play five games in a regional, it will be interesting.

Bull19
05-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Bull19, you did bring this post back as if you found enjoyment in predicting the Ags getting upset. i brought it back because its the first time i've been right about anything in a long time and i'm proud that i got something right. jeez. take a chill pill

NastySlot
05-01-2008, 11:18 PM
we'll this what i know about baseball......if you win today... you probably lose tomorrow....win 5 in row you can lose 5 in row just as easy............why shouldn't people be complaining about where the aggies are in the polls....they were playing great ball and deserved to be ranked high......does it matter in the end.......no.....I think most on this board would like the ags to be ranked higher and improve their rpi...so they have a chance to host a regional and maybe a super regional...that would improve their chances of making it to omaha.....now I didn't say get them to omaha....just improve the odds of getting there............hey believe or not I enjoy watching rice play also........and I even enjoy watching the horns play...I love college baseball.....but I support the ags win or lose.

g$$
05-01-2008, 11:31 PM
we'll this what i know about baseball......if you win today... you probably lose tomorrow....win 5 in row you can lose 5 in row just as easy............why shouldn't people be complaining about where the aggies are in the polls....they were playing great ball and deserved to be ranked high......does it matter in the end.......no.....I think most on this board would like the ags to be ranked higher and improve their rpi...so they have a chance to host a regional and maybe a super regional...that would improve their chances of making it to omaha.....now I didn't say get them to omaha....just improve the odds of getting there............hey believe or not I enjoy watching rice play also........and I even enjoy watching the horns play...I love college baseball.....but I support the ags win or lose.

Great points.

Everybody on texags & elsewhere needs to quit worrying about our RPI. A&M's RPI is currently 8th & will rise w/ upcoming games (DBU, NEB, Texas, Big 12 Tourney). We just need to take care of business & see what happens. We are in a good spot for a top 8 national seed.

Panther: good points all around, but who truly out there isn't better suited for a Super Regional than Regional? Most teams just don't have that much pitching. Most have 2 top starters & 2-3 quality bullpen guys. Ole Miss has a bunch of arms, UCI, ASU, & others. A&M's back end of pen w/ Starling, Thebeau, Robertson, etc. is pretty darn good. Childress sets up his pen like a MLB team w/ definite roles. Our success/failure is going to depend on those 3 top starters (freshmen Raley, Loux & soph Ehlert) giving us a chance to get deep into ballgames. That's what concerns me is our youthful starting pitching.

g$$
05-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Bull19........you nailed that one.

And so did anybody who follows college baseball...DBU is a good team. Did not surprise me one bit. A&M also started a kid & used others in relief on the mound who do not normally pitch much on weekends. This was one of the series I mentioned as helping A&M's RPI in this thread. DBU should get a bid for Regional play as well.