PDA

View Full Version : Cody Wallace to the 49 ers

crabman
04-27-2008, 12:17 PM
107th overall pick. Early fourth round. Congratulations to a fine young man.

There is a party going on over at Muff and Puff's right now. That is his grandparents who raised him. Puff because he smokes a pipe. Muff because it rhymes with Puff.

GreenMachine
04-27-2008, 12:19 PM
First class young man. Couldn't be happier for him. :clap:

zebrablue2
04-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Good for Cody. I wish him all the best. :clap:

Gobbla2001
04-27-2008, 12:25 PM
a 49er...

"San Francisco gets arguably the strongest center in the draft, a kid who benches 480 pounds. Alex Smith and Frank Gore can't develop without a strong line. Picking up guys like Wallace is wise. "

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/draftTracker

Good job cody...

Gobbla2001
04-27-2008, 12:30 PM
you beat me to it crabman...

We could tell from the first time Cody stepped on the field with us that he could be an NFL'er...

Nursebetty
04-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Way to go Cody!!! Yet another CUERO highschool graduate in the NFL!!! How awesome is that??!!! :2thumbsup

Sweetwater Red
04-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Nursebetty
Yet another CUERO highschool graduate in the NFL!!! :2thumbsup

Were there any between Robert Strait and this kid?

GreenGobbla
04-27-2008, 02:30 PM
congrats cody

44INAROW
04-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Congrats Cody....... we lucked out - got to see it on ESPN and then 5 mins later lost signal for a while due to weather :p
and the answer is yes Sweetwater-- funny though, I've never thought of Cody as a "kid" he's been a young man for a long time......

Highschoolfan78
04-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

quite a few... Clint Finley... FS for Nebraska in the 90's (KC Chiefs)...Matt Anderson.. center for Texas late 90's..(Pittsburg Steelers)... Melvin Barnett RB for Baylor..(Oakland Raiders)

pirate4state
04-27-2008, 05:28 PM
:clap: :clap:

That's awesome!!! Congratulations to Cody!!! :2thumbsup

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-27-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm going to miss having Cody at practice, we had some good times fighting and screwing around. Congrats to him though, it couldn't have happened to a better guy.

gobbler grad
04-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Congrats Cody...:clap: I' m sure Muff and Puff are very proud...:)

CueroDad08
04-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Great job Cody. All the hard work will now start to "PAY" off.

piratebg
04-27-2008, 07:23 PM
That's pretty cool. Congrats :clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil C
04-27-2008, 08:56 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

g$$
04-28-2008, 03:10 AM

Congrats to Cody & all the best to him. Fine career at A&M & now moving on to the NFL. Good story too.

I played against Robert Strait in high school, but to my knowledge he never played pro ball. Definite NFL talent, but injuries & off-field problems derailed him along the way. What a hoss in high school, just a beast to try to bring down. Am I wrong on his pro career? Maybe a tryout or two?

Don't forget about Cuero's Trooper Taylor. Played in pros after college career & now coaches in college ranks. Cuero has had a bunch of good ones for sure. There is a new thread I started on "pro players from your high school thru the years" going now to update the one from 2006...how many from Cuero have played pro football of any kind (NFL, AFL, CFL, Arena)? Helluva program thru the years at Cuero.

Nursebetty
04-28-2008, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Congrats to Cody & all the best to him. Fine career at A&M & now moving on to the NFL. Good story too.

I played against Robert Strait in high school, but to my knowledge he never played pro ball. Definite NFL talent, but injuries & off-field problems derailed him along the way. What a hoss in high school, just a beast to try to bring down. Am I wrong on his pro career? Maybe a tryout or two?

Don't forget about Cuero's Trooper Taylor. Played in pros after college career & now coaches in college ranks. Cuero has had a bunch of good ones for sure. There is a new thread I started on "pro players from your high school thru the years" going now to update the one from 2006...how many from Cuero have played pro football of any kind (NFL, AFL, CFL, Arena)? Helluva program thru the years at Cuero.

You got that right....."helluva program thru the years at Cuero." I don't have all the correct information on players that have gone pro...hopefully someone from Cuero will...and post it! :)

Tiger Turtle
04-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Stuff like this just points up the fact that the 3A ranks are under-recruited by the D1A schools. Players like Cody, who are good citizens and good players are an asset to any program. Good luck in the league, Cody, from all the Downlow Aggies.

Sweetwater Red
04-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Congrats Cody Wallace.:clap:

Sorry, not trying to hi-jack thread. I was really just curious
about how many cuero players made the pros givin that all
Cuero does is win.:D

I was wrong. Strait was drafted in the tenth round but never
played. I had just assumed he did after the hs career he had.:doh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Strait

LH Panther Mom
04-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Congratulations and best of luck! :clap: :clap:

44INAROW
04-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Wallace strikes gold with 49ers
Cuero grad taken by San Francisco in fourth round of draft

BY MIKE FORMAN - ADVOCATE SPORTS WRITER
April 27, 2008 - 11:05 p.m.
CUERO – Cody Wallace was as surprised when he discovered the notebook paper behind a painting in the living room of his grandparents’ home as he was when the San Francisco 49ers had called a few hours earlier.

Wallace was in a state of euphoria after being selected in the fourth round of the NFL draft on Sunday when some former classmates reminded him of a deal he made during his junior year at Cuero High School.

Wallace had jokingly written out the promise of cash and free tickets if he made the NFL shortly after receiving a scholarship offer from Texas A&M while studying for a pre-calculus class with Daniel Binz, John Hall and Wesley Dixon.

“I knew we had put it behind the paintings but I can’t believe it was still there,”Wallace said. “I never thought it would come back to haunt me. It’s probably not the only contract I made and the others are probably worse.”

The only contract that mattered to Wallace, his grandparents, Rachel and Chester, who are affectionately known as Muff and Puff, friends and Texas A&M teammate and Cuero graduate Latrael Cooper who gathered to celebrate Cody’s selection is the one he will sign with the 49ers to fulfill a life-long dream.

“It’s hard to even explain,” Wallace said. “I don’t think I’ll totally understand until I head out to San Francisco on Thursday. I’ve thought about it since I was in high school. You want to play at the highest level so why stop one-stop short. It’s kind of surreal that it’s here.”

The 6-foot-4, 290-pound Wallace did everything within his power to impress the pro scouts. Wallace registered 252 knockdown blocks during his final two seasons at Texas A&M. He was a finalist for the Rimington Trophy and named the Big 12’s Co-Offensive Lineman of the Year by the league’s coaches last season.

Wallace also improved his stock at the Senior Bowl and had an outstanding performance at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis in February.

“I think before the combine there were some questions about my athletic ability,” Wallace said. “I think I did pretty well in most of my drills. I started working for this before my freshman year in high school. I’ve come a long way and it’s definitely worth it.”

Wallace was wearing a red 49ers shirt Sunday that he picked up at the combine, but insisted he had no idea the team would draft him.

“I tried not to think about it,”Wallace said. “It’s kind of like when I play football. If I think about it, I get nervous so I kind of push it to the back of my mind.”

Wallace’s heart jumped Saturday when he got a call on his cell phone from an unrecognizable number during a trip to the grocery store but it turned out to be a friend. Wallace was at his grandparents’ home Sunday morning when his agent, Leonard Roth, told him the 49ers were looking for interior lineman because guard David Baas had torn his pectoral muscle.

Wallace’s cell phone rang and he learned the 49ers were about to make him the second center selected and the 107th overall pick in the draft. Wallace spoke with San Francisco offensive line coaches George Warhop and Chris Foerster and head coach Mike Nolan, who met Wallace at the Senior Bowl.

“I tried to kid around with him but I found out quickly he was pretty serious,” Nolan said. “I like that about him. He’s had some adversity in his life, but he’s a good, tough and intelligent football player.”

Wallace was hoping to be joined in the draft by Oklahoma tight end Joe Jon Finley and TCU defensive back Brian Bonner, who were in the fifth grade with him in Cuero. Neither Finley nor Bonner was drafted but Finley is likely to sign a free-agent contract with the 49ers.

Wallace is anxious to begin his first mini-camp with the 49ers and thankful for all the support he’s received.

“I couldn’t be happier,” Wallace said. “I got picked a lot higher than I expected and I had a lot of good friends and family over to celebrate with.”

Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Victoria Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588 or mforman@vicad.com.

LINK (http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/894/story/236542.html)

District303aPastPlayer
04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I knew Bonner wasn't from Beeville... this just proved it to me, lol... I remember playing against him and Spencer Chaison in HS...

Sweetwater Red
04-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
I knew Bonner wasn't from Beeville... this just proved it to me, lol... I remember playing against him and Spencer Chaison in HS...

You mean Cuero has been doing it all this time with move-ins?:eek: :D :devil:

District303aPastPlayer
04-28-2008, 10:48 AM
You mean Cuero has been doing it all this time with move-ins?:eek: :D :devil:

actually, they are doing it after their kids move away... Bonner moved from Cuero to Beeville it appears... so you are actually stating quite the opposite...

Sweetwater Red
04-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
actually, they are doing it after their kids move away... Bonner moved from Cuero to Beeville it appears... so you are actually stating quite the opposite...

Makes me wonder how many youngsters from Cuero ended up
playing for Wylie.:thinking:

44INAROW
04-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Bonner moved from Cuero after the 5th grade. As Cody stated in the 1st article posted a few days back - "what if we'd of all been on the same team"

Highschoolfan78
04-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Rumor has it that Joe Jon Finley has signed with SF as an undrafted free
agent!

click here (http://www.kffl.com/player/18668/NFL)