PDA

View Full Version : The main difference between LeBron and Kobe

Necks_Fan
04-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Sure LeBron scored more this year, but Kobe could score 50 points every game if he wanted to. That's the difference. LeBron can consistently score 30 pts but Kobe can score as many as he wants at will, not LeBron.

Gobbla2001
04-26-2008, 12:57 PM
see, I know what you're saying, and I almost agree, but LeBron passes the ball A LOT... I've seen him pass the ball off when he had an easy (for him) basket... maybe that's why he can't score all he wants...

Emerson1
04-26-2008, 12:59 PM
That's why Kobe is the MVP

Gobbla2001
04-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
That's why Kobe is the MVP

I'd like to see him get it...

eagles_victory
04-26-2008, 01:07 PM
I wouldnt say Lebron cant score at will Kobe is the best player in the league right now but there is more to the game then just scoring Lebron is a better passer and rebounder right now. I think Kobe is a better defensive player right now because lebron hasnt made the committment to playing solid defense everytime down the court however in their head up matchups Lebron has put the breaks on kobe a couple times in the 4th quarter and has a pretty good edge in the career matchups.

Kobe is the best player right now but I think Lebron is closing the gap.

Emerson1
04-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Lebron is also statistically the most clutch player in the league, Kobe is 2nd.

Followed by Dirk and Manu

Gobbla2001
04-26-2008, 01:14 PM
okay, question... this may have already been asked:

do you think if Kobe had not missed out on MVPs all of those years with Shaq and wasn't getting up in age that he'd maybe not be the popular choice right now? basically meaning if he wins big this year is it more because he is "due" one?

I think it is... I think he'd be a good choice either way, but I think him winning this year will have a lot to do with his past success...

eagles_victory
04-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
okay, question... this may have already been asked:

do you think if Kobe had not missed out on MVPs all of those years with Shaq and wasn't getting up in age that he'd maybe not be the popular choice right now? basically meaning if he wins big this year is it more because he is "due" one?

I think it is... I think he'd be a good choice either way, but I think him winning this year will have a lot to do with his past success... You make a good point because I think this argument is being made a lot " he has been the best player in the league the past 3 or 4 years and hasnt one it yet" which I agree with but also at the same time you cant argue if he gets it. He has his team as the number 1 seed in the west and this may be the deepest and toughest the conference has ever been. While a lot of that has to do with some of the guys around him emerging one of the main reasons they are emerging is because he is making them better.

So I think you do have a point but if you give it to Dirk last year based on being the best player on the best team its tough to go away from Kobe right now. Also Id like to point that during their 3 year run of championships earlier this decade at that time Kobe wasnt an MVP candidate in many of those years IMO.

Gobbla2001
04-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

So I think you do have a point but if you give it to Dirk last year based on being the best player on the best team its tough to go away from Kobe right now.

true

Gobbla2001
04-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Also Id like to point that during their 3 year run of championships earlier this decade at that time Kobe wasnt an MVP candidate in many of those years IMO.

I agree that he wasn't, but I think if you take one of their pieces away from those years he would have had to do more and could have been a good MVP candidate....

eagles_victory
04-26-2008, 01:24 PM
I agree that he wasn't, but I think if you take one of their pieces away from those years he would have had to do more and could have been a good MVP candidate.... I agree I kind of relate that to Tim Duncan now he could of stepped up and put MVP numbers up if his team needed it but they didnt so he didnt have to put those numbers up and just played within the system.

Gobbla2001
04-26-2008, 01:24 PM
I agree I kind of relate that to Tim Duncan now he could of stepped up and put MVP numbers up if his team needed it but they didnt so he didnt have to put those numbers up and just played within the system.

yup...

eagles_victory
04-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Another thing about Lebron is if he hits his free throws at an 80 percent rate instead 71.2 which he shot this year with the way he gets to the line that probably adds another 2 ppg to his average. Plus you look at the assist Lebron averaged 7 and that is at a small forward which is a huge difference from guys like Paul and Nash being Pgs because Point guards always have the ball in their hands in pick and roll situations and have many more opportunities for assist. Also once you add in the fact that Lebron doesnt have another consistant scorer on his team if they could add a consistant piece around him to score the ball and knock down shots I could see him getting close to 9 to 10 assist per game.

Gobbla2001
04-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Also once you add in the fact that Lebron doesnt have another consistant scorer on his team

that's the big reasons Lebron maybe should win it... I think the voters will go with the "he's young, he'll get one later" approach...

eagles_victory
04-26-2008, 01:36 PM
that's the big reasons Lebron maybe should win it... I think the voters will go with the "he's young, he'll get one later" approach... Im probably the biggest Lebron fan on this board most likely and I just dont see him winning it this year. As good as his numbers are and as bad as his supporting cast is (esp after that trade that blew up in their faces) I have a hard time giving it to a guy who plays on the number 4 team in the east over a guy who plays on the number 1 and a guy who plays on the number 2 teams in the West.

Highschoolfan78
04-26-2008, 01:39 PM
I was going to say Lebron wears a head band, and Kobe doesn't

Necks_Fan
04-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Also once you add in the fact that Lebron doesnt have another consistant scorer on his team if they could add a consistant piece around him to score the ball and knock down shots I could see him getting close to 9 to 10 assist per game. That would also take pressure off of LeBron to score, so if they had another legit scorer, then his ppg would most likely go down. (Ex Kobe)

Gobbla2001
04-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
That would also take pressure off of LeBron to score, so if they had another legit scorer, then his ppg would most likely go down. (Ex Kobe)

of course, and he'd be less valuable...

eagles_victory
04-26-2008, 01:58 PM
That would also take pressure off of LeBron to score, so if they had another legit scorer, then his ppg would most likely go down. (Ex Kobe) thats not neccesairly sp? true bc Lebron doesnt force his offense now even without a strong number 2 player so I think he would play a very similar game still and like I said if he hit more free throws he would probably stay about the same.

Necks_Fan
04-26-2008, 02:02 PM
thats not neccesairly sp? true bc Lebron doesnt force his offense now even without a strong number 2 player so I think he would play a very similar game still and like I said if he hit more free throws he would probably stay about the same. True, but I think he forc more than you think. He is forced to take alot of shots, some of which he knocks down. Another scorer would probably help his fg% the most and his minutes go down I would think.

eagles_victory
04-26-2008, 02:03 PM
True, but I think he forc more than you think. He is forced to take alot of shots, some of which he knocks down. Another scorer would probably help his fg% the most and his minutes go down I would think. I wouldnt mind seeing his minutes decrease some next year in the regular season he has played a lot of basketball over the last couple of years with playing summers for USA basketball.

Gobbla2001
04-26-2008, 02:04 PM
True, but I think he forc more than you think. He is forced to take alot of shots, some of which he knocks down. Another scorer would probably help his fg% the most and his minutes go down I would think.

I doubt Lebrons minutes would go down that much if any... he's still young and can still play a lot of minutes... I think normal Cavs missed-ops to score via other players would go down...

g$$
04-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't like him, but Kobe is the best player in the NBA right now. Let's also remember this is voted on BEFORE the playoffs.

Kobe is a more gifted all-around offensive player. LeBron is a hoss but still developing jumper, etc. LeBron is a very underrated passer, much like Drexler was too.

Kobe probably wins it this year & no argument here.

PHS Wildcats
04-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Lebron is also statistically the most clutch player in the league, Kobe is 2nd.

Followed by Dirk and Manu

Dirk?:eek: :confused: