PDA

View Full Version : Person skips regional to go to prom?

jlg043
04-25-2008, 04:20 PM
I dont know if this is bending the rules but im not going to say anything specific in this topic! anywayz I was reading an article in a paper about a person from a school not competing in their teams 1600 meter relay b/c that person was going to prom but is competing in the open 400. I mean some kids dream of the day to make it to the playoffs or go to regionals and then you throw away your opportunity to go to prom! I know prom is like a big deal and all but it aint going to pay for your tuition or get you a medal or any big accomplishment!

Also, the coach is allowing this to happen. You bet your you know what that aint going to happen when I become a coach! The coach is also allowing her to run one event and not the other. I say its either all or nothing!!!! you go on your selfish way to go to prom and you want to run your 400 but not the mile relay which took you 3 months of hard work to get to! No sir not right! At the gym I workout now I work with a lady who was the softball coach and she didnt let any of her players go to prom because they were competing in a softball tourney to go to state. None of the parents aregued with her! All I am saying is that person is letting down three teammates to go to prom and the coach is ok with it. Opinions?

Sweetwater Red
04-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by jlg043
I dont know if this is bending the rules but im not going to say anything specific in this topic! anywayz I was reading an article in a paper about a person from a school not competing in their teams 1600 meter relay b/c that person was going to prom but is competing in the open 400. I mean some kids dream of the day to make it to the playoffs or go to regionals and then you throw away your opportunity to go to prom! I know prom is like a big deal and all but it aint going to pay for your tuition or get you a medal or any big accomplishment!

Also, the coach is allowing this to happen. You bet your you know what that aint going to happen when I become a coach! The coach is also allowing her to run one event and not the other. I say its either all or nothing!!!! you go on your selfish way to go to prom and you want to run your 400 but not the mile relay which took you 3 months of hard work to get to! No sir not right! At the gym I workout now I work with a lady who was the softball coach and she didnt let any of her players go to prom because they were competing in a softball tourney to go to state. None of the parents aregued with her! All I am saying is that person is letting down three teammates to go to prom and the coach is ok with it. Opinions?

Is she the only one going from her school?

crzyjournalist03
04-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Is she the only one going from her school?

umm...considering that she's on a relay team, I'd guess no...:nerd:

kepdawg
04-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

I'm thinking he meant prom.

crzyjournalist03
04-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I'm thinking he meant prom.

well, in that case, if she were the only one going, wouldn't it be kind of lonely? :confused:

kepdawg
well, in that case, if she were the only one going, wouldn't it be kind of lonely? :confused:

I'd assume there will be non-track people at the prom as well.

Necks_Fan
This is stupid. Get off his/her case. If he/she makes the decision to go to Prom, (which is a HUGE deal to HS kids) then that is their choice.

Maybe the Relay team is not that great and the 400 is what's most important to him/her. Judging someone because they choose one important thing over another is retarded.

And no coach should be able to force a student to do anything. Also, there is always alternates and backups, so the team isn't exactly screwed is it?

That's like one of our star FB players skipping the Sealy game to go to a church thing; but noone blamed him for our 21-0 loss. It just isn't right for people to judge this person without solid evidence.

All I'm saying is, it's his/her choice. Who are you to argue with that?

jlg043
04-25-2008, 04:35 PM
this person is leaving 3 of their teammates to go to prom but is still running the 400... and the coach is allowing it... its all or nothing buddy thats what I would say... so you cant run the mile relay well then you cant run the 400... too bad so sad its your call... this person replacement is 3 sec slower too!

Sweetwater Red
04-25-2008, 04:38 PM

:doh:

I read the 1,600 meters and missed the relay part.:doh:

I was going to make the point that if she's not hurting teammates
it doesn't matter if she compete's or not. That's her decision to
make.

If anything it's the schools fault for scheduling prom when they
knew there might be UIL events at the same time.:thinking:

kepdawg
04-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
:doh:

I read the 1,600 meters and missed the relay part.:doh:

I was going to make the point that if she's not hurting teammates
it doesn't matter if she compete's or not. That's her decision to
make.

If anything it's the schools fault for scheduling prom when they
knew there might be UIL events at the same time.:thinking:

Haha! The relay part is what is making this an issue!

duckpluck
04-25-2008, 04:40 PM
I agree no one can make her run.

Necks_Fan
04-25-2008, 04:41 PM
this person is leaving 3 of their teammates to go to prom but is still running the 400... and the coach is allowing it... its all or nothing buddy thats what I would say... so you cant run the mile relay well then you cant run the 400... too bad so sad its your call... this person replacement is 3 sec slower too! Who are you to say "All or nothing"?

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. The coach can't disallow anything. If the person wants to go then the coach can't stop her.

Would you be making this arguement if he/she was sick or their grandma died? I doubt it. You have no room to judge their situation. Who knows if this is even true?

I just don't see how you can make it to the 400 but not the 1600.

Is it much later or what?

jlg043
04-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
This is stupid. Get off his/her case. If he/she makes the decision to go to Prom, (which is a HUGE deal to HS kids) then that is their choice.

Maybe the Relay team is not that great and the 400 is what's most important to him/her. Judging someone because they choose one important thing over another is retarded.

And no coach should be able to force a student to do anything. Also, there is always alternates and backups, so the team isn't exactly screwed is it?

That's like one of our star FB players skipping the Sealy game to go to a church thing; but noone blamed him for our 21-0 loss. It just isn't right for people to judge this person without solid evidence.

All I'm saying is, it's his/her choice. Who are you to argue with that?

So your bust your tail for 3 months and you bail or your teammates who depend on you... if someone from my mile relay team bailed on us in any trackmeet much less REGIONALS! then they would have some problems comming... Prom is important I get that but this person is being recruited for track what do you think the colleges looking at her are going to think about that? you think this person is someone to depend on? this alt runs 3 secs slower... 3 sec! thats alot in a 400 that the diff between 1st and 4 and at regionals thats the diff between state and going home! I understand your FB player did that one game but what if it was the game before state? would you have a different view?

and my senior yr the ppl who went to regionals came to prom in their track uniforms... ALL OF THEM! no one left early or nothing like that... b/c they were part of a team and coaches wouldnt allow it!

jlg043
04-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Who are you to say "All or nothing"?

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. The coach can't disallow anything. If the person wants to go then the coach can't stop her.

Would you be making this arguement if he/she was sick or their grandma died? I doubt it. You have no room to judge their situation. Who knows if this is even true?

I just don't see how you can make it to the 400 but not the 1600.

Is it much later or what?

ok so a family members DEATH is just as important as prom? are you serious? When my uncle Manual died I missed the viewing b/c I wasnt going to bail on our team. and actually you are the coach you can make that choice, like I said the lady I work with didnt allow any of her softball players to miss their softball tourney before state and none of the parents argued with that... and she coached at a 5a school here in austin... thats the whole thing about TEAM and band of brothers... so your star qb bails on your the game before you go to state is it ok? and I never missed a game b/c I was sick I played through that... heck I played with broken toe when I was in JR HIGH! JR HIGH! its not that serious then but to me it was I got my coach to call me mom b/c she wasnt going to let me play but I wasnt going to miss the cameron game and I didnt!

Necks_Fan
04-25-2008, 04:53 PM
So your bust your tail for 3 months and you bail or your teammates who depend on you... if someone from my mile relay team bailed on us in any trackmeet much less REGIONALS! then they would have some problems comming... Prom is important I get that but this person is being recruited for track what do you think the colleges looking at her are going to think about that? you think this person is someone to depend on? this alt runs 3 secs slower... 3 sec! thats alot in a 400 that the diff between 1st and 4 and at regionals thats the diff between state and going home! I understand your FB player did that one game but what if it was the game before state? would you have a different view?

and my senior yr the ppl who went to regionals came to prom in their track uniforms... ALL OF THEM! no one left early or nothing like that... b/c they were part of a team and coaches wouldnt allow it! Again, who are you to judge?

Also, he/she runs a 400 in the 1600 relay. If they are still running the actual 400 then their college track future is in no jeopardy because they are still running their event. Got my drift?

Sometimes things come up and the District is stupid for putting prom on this weekend if they have "college bound track stars."

All I'm saying is that maybe prom is more important to him/her.

I'm sure this wasn't a spurt of the moment thing either. I'm sure that the entire team and coaches knew that he/she would not be at regionals if they made it. I don't know what you have against this person.

Also, that football game against Sealy was very important in our playoff quest. We lost that game and it eventually cost us a playoff spot.

Once again, this is his/her decision and you have no room to judge the situation.

Necks_Fan
04-25-2008, 04:55 PM
ok so a family members DEATH is just as important as prom? are you serious? When my uncle Manual died I missed the viewing b/c I wasnt going to bail on our team. and actually you are the coach you can make that choice, like I said the lady I work with didnt allow any of her softball players to miss their softball tourney before state and none of the parents argued with that... and she coached at a 5a school here in austin... thats the whole thing about TEAM and band of brothers... so your star qb bails on your the game before you go to state is it ok? and I never missed a game b/c I was sick I played through that... heck I played with broken toe when I was in JR HIGH! JR HIGH! its not that serious then but to me it was I got my coach to call me mom b/c she wasnt going to let me play but I wasnt going to miss the cameron game and I didnt! The coaches can not force any player to do anything. You are stupid if you think otherwise. I also can't believe you missed a funeral to go to a meet/ game.

Also, learn some grammar and spelling.

jlg043
04-25-2008, 04:56 PM
you never answered my question is gradma's death just as important as prom??? lol doubt it... you may think its ok but I bet a couple of players were a little dissappointed and they have every right to be honestly... you dont make a commitment for so long then just bail on it! Its kind of like being married your commited to that person and the first time you mess with another person... well thats just wrong you dont do that!!!

jlg043
04-25-2008, 04:57 PM
The coaches can not force any player to do anything. You are stupid if you think otherwise. I also can't believe you missed a funeral to go to a meet/ game.

Also, learn some grammar and spelling.

I didnt say I missed the funeral, I said the viewing the day before!!!! the lady I worked with did it and all the parents backed her so you cant MAKE them but you tell them and tell the parents and if they dont agree well screw it they wont be on the team next yr and I do have controll of that... see if your nice then ppl run all over you but if you put your foot down then you'll get what you want!

Necks_Fan
04-25-2008, 05:01 PM
you never answered my question is gradma's death just as important as prom??? lol doubt it... you may think its ok but I bet a couple of players were a little dissappointed and they have every right to be honestly... you dont make a commitment for so long then just bail on it! Its kind of like being married your commited to that person and the first time you mess with another person... well thats just wrong you dont do that!!! Grandma's death is more important. No doubt. Prom is VERY important to HS kids though.

Now answer my question. Who are you to judge this person's situation?

Also, this is nothing like being married and cheating. Stupid reference.

Again, how do you know the team was not aware and this is a spurt of the moment kind of thing? Seems highly unlikely to me.

nobogey72
04-25-2008, 05:01 PM

That coach's true test will be if the 3 other girls plus the prom girl make it to state, and then the prom girl wants to run. What will he do then? That's a tough deal. I've seen it happen with lots of kids through the years. What's really bad is if the prom girl is good enough that her being there would make a difference in the relay team making it out of regional. Sounds like she probably is a difference maker if she qualified in the open 400. I always wonder why prom schedulers don't do some checking. It may not be possible, I don't know.

jlg043
04-25-2008, 05:02 PM
and if these girls do qualify for state she cant run w/ them the alt has to! thats what is says in the paper... and im not here for an english lesson bud im just typing fast and getting my point across cause Im going back and forth between here and shaggybevo.com talking about the same thing... Ill save the grammar for my paper due next week!

Necks_Fan
04-25-2008, 05:05 PM
and if these girls do qualify for state she cant run w/ them the alt has to! thats what is says in the paper... and im not here for an english lesson bud im just typing fast and getting my point across cause Im going back and forth between here and shaggybevo.com talking about the same thing... Ill save the grammar for my paper due next week! You still haven't answered MY question.

CenTexSports
04-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Maybe she has a more pressing committment on prom night. That is the night some young ladies make committments to their boyfriends.

Thanks to a prom night committment, I have a 6 year old granddaughter.

I think you have too much time on your hands if it bothers you so much that you have to rant and rave on here about some girl deciding to go to the prom.

jlg043
04-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
That coach's true test will be if the 3 other girls plus the prom girl make it to state, and then the prom girl wants to run. What will he do then? That's a tough deal. I've seen it happen with lots of kids through the years. What's really bad is if the prom girl is good enough that her being there would make a difference in the relay team making it out of regional. Sounds like she probably is a difference maker if she qualified in the open 400. I always wonder why prom schedulers don't do some checking. It may not be possible, I don't know.

yea it says in the paper that she wont be able to run w/ the team if they do qualify and I have the right to say what I want to answer your question dude... Who are you to question what I think? I mean come on I can play that game too... and just go in circles who are you to blah blah blah? ya know thats beside the point I saw the article and it upset me that someone would give up this chance to go to a prom you prolly attend last yr... and to just leave a team high and dry... I just think it shows how dependable that person really is

Necks_Fan
04-25-2008, 05:10 PM
yea it says in the paper that she wont be able to run w/ the team if they do qualify and I have the right to say what I want to answer your question dude... Who are you to question what I think? I mean come on I can play that game too... and just go in circles who are you to blah blah blah? ya know thats beside the point I saw the article and it upset me that someone would give up this chance to go to a prom you prolly attend last yr... and to just leave a team high and dry... I just think it shows how dependable that person really is I'm just looking at the situation from an outside view and you are dogging her. That's my point.

She has a future in the 400 and she's running that. The team has an alternate and again, who says she didn't warn them earlier about this? I would guess she did and they have an alternate ready. Just because she decides to go to prom doesn't make her unreliable.

C'mon. I don't know why you are so hard on her. Cut her some slack.

jlg043
04-25-2008, 05:11 PM
It just bothers me b/c im going to school to become a coach and I'd be damned if one of my players are going to tell me what they are going to do... and actually I have a lot of time my next personal training session isnt till 6

Necks_Fan
04-25-2008, 05:13 PM
It just bothers me b/c im going to school to become a coach and I'd be damned if one of my players are going to tell me what they are going to do... and actually I have a lot of time my next personal training session isnt till 6 What is this traning session business about???:confused:

And I'll be damned if some coach is going to tell me what I'm going to do.

JMHO

jlg043
04-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Ill cut her some slack I mean I guess im just like kind of hardcore you get into something you stick w/ it... and mabey track aint that important to her... I just wished I would have been granted the chance to run at regionals but I love track and thats why it disappoints me so much like ppl wish to have that chance and she blows it off... I dunno sorry to that chick for going all out but it just really bothered me

Necks_Fan
04-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Ill cut her some slack I mean I guess im just like kind of hardcore you get into something you stick w/ it... and mabey track aint that important to her... I just wished I would have been granted the chance to run at regionals but I love track and thats why it disappoints me so much like ppl wish to have that chance and she blows it off... I dunno sorry to that chick for going all out but it just really bothered me "mabey"? Lol.

That's funny.;)

Lol. Yea. I can see how it upsets you but Prom is a huge thing for girls. My main point is that she probably most worried about the 400 and that the team knew of her going to prom previously.

jlg043
04-25-2008, 05:17 PM
and that person ask if i had a lot of time on my hand and i said yea I dont have to personal train anyone else until 6

nobogey72
04-25-2008, 05:26 PM
I may be wrong or the rules may have changed, but, I can remember several times in the past where the same 4 girls or boys that qualified for state in a relay were not necessarily the same 4 that ran at state. Same as 4 that qualify at dist can change at regional. I know at regionals 4 can run in the prelims and then it can change in the finals. All I can say is that it is a team sport, and there are others to think about. If it was me, it would be an easy decision. But, different strokes for different folks. Best possible scenario would be for the relay to make it to state without her, and then win state in the relay without her. Then everybody got what they want.:)

bandera7
04-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Ok...maybe this is the difference between winning programs and losing programs.

I know that under some other coaches, we could have maybe pulled this stunt. However, under our current coach, there is no way. Not that he would force you. He makes you see why you need to be there. Its for your team, for the people who busted their butt. You play not for yourself, but for your teammates. I cant even begin to understand how you can say that its not a big deal. If prom comes before your teammates...well I have a feeling this individual would have been rooted out long before the regional meet in my program.

jlg043
04-25-2008, 05:38 PM
I may be wrong or the rules may have changed, but, I can remember several times in the past where the same 4 girls or boys that qualified for state in a relay were not necessarily the same 4 that ran at state. Same as 4 that qualify at dist can change at regional. I know at regionals 4 can run in the prelims and then it can change in the finals. All I can say is that it is a team sport, and there are others to think about. If it was me, it would be an easy decision. But, different strokes for different folks. Best possible scenario would be for the relay to make it to state without her, and then win state in the relay without her. Then everybody got what they want.:)

Ok the rules didnt change I just read it wrong it says "If the Panthers' mile relay qualifies Saturday for the state meet, she will not regain her spot, her coach said. "It's her choice", Murphy said "As a coach you can't tell somebody the can't attend their senior prom" Somethings are just priceless... It just bothers and hurts me to see a talented team dont reach their full potential -

jlg043
04-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by bandera7

I know that under some other coaches, we could have maybe pulled this stunt. However, under our current coach, there is no way. Not that he would force you. He makes you see why you need to be there. Its for your team, for the people who busted their butt. You play not for yourself, but for your teammates. I cant even begin to understand how you can say that its not a big deal. If prom comes before your teammates...well I have a feeling this individual would have been rooted out long before the regional meet in my program.

I totally agree with what u said but like nobogey said diff strokes diff folks but its like I wish we would have known 3 months ago cause we could have had someone else all along... my opinion has been stated throughout this thread... I dont want to rub anyone else the wrong way yall have at it...

nobogey72
04-25-2008, 05:52 PM

I agree 100%. If I were the coach, if she chose not to run on the relay, then she wouldn't get to run the open 400 either. I've seen this happen in baseball too. It's a tough deal for some kids, but I would think that if a coach took a stance of if you skip a game or whatever to go to the prom, then you are done for the year. It would be more fair IMO to the kids that way too, because they would know what to expect before the situation came up. I guess the prom is a WAY bigger deal to some than it is to others. This is obviously just my opinion but I think it is extremely selfish of the individual to bail on their teammates, and it is not very prudent of the coach to allow it to happen without some kind of consequences.

lakers
04-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Get a grip dude. she made her choice, it is final, and her parents probably spent lots of $$$ on a dress, hair, etc...

I would choose to go to prom over a regional meet. Now if I were #1 or 2 in the state then that is a different story. Either they are fast enough to make it too state or they aren't.

Maybe that is why you aren't the coach...:thinking:

:stirpot: :taunt:

LH Panther Mom
04-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I agree 100%. If I were the coach, if she chose not to run on the relay, then she wouldn't get to run the open 400 either. I've seen this happen in baseball too. It's a tough deal for some kids, but I would think that if a coach took a stance of if you skip a game or whatever to go to the prom, then you are done for the year. It would be more fair IMO to the kids that way too, because they would know what to expect before the situation came up. I guess the prom is a WAY bigger deal to some than it is to others. This is obviously just my opinion but I think it is extremely selfish of the individual to bail on their teammates, and it is not very prudent of the coach to allow it to happen without some kind of consequences.
I agree with you.

And jlg, good luck with "making" an athlete participate when you're the coach. :doh: :doh:

jlg043
04-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I agree with you.

And jlg, good luck with "making" an athlete participate when you're the coach. :doh: :doh:

anyone who isnt in the sport 100% wouldn't deserve to make my squad... Ill breed champions and Ill be 100% committed to my team like i expect them to be! You cant make someone participate that correct but there were times I didnt want to run the open 400 and run the mile relay and my coach wouldn't let it be an option... I wont "make" anyone do anything Ill give them the choice and give them the warning that they are choosing their outcome... you'll only get as much as you put in!!!

Antec
04-25-2008, 08:02 PM
I remember in the mids 80s

Four Willowridge Girls chose to go to the prom instead of running at State Track Meet

Think it was a realy team

Necks_Fan
04-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Anybody stop to think for just one second that the girl and coach had a pre-arranged agreement about her going to Prom?

Maybe just maybe, she didn't "bail" on her teammates.

You people are so judgemental and quick to admonish this girl. I guarantee you there are underlying circumstances that none of us or the article know about. I highly doubt that she is just leaving her teammates out to dry. Atleast I would hope not.

kepdawg
04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Anybody stop to think for just one second that the girl and coach had a pre-arranged agreement about her going to Prom?

Maybe just maybe, she didn't "bail" on her teammates.

You people are so judgemental and quick to admonish this girl. I guarantee you there are underlying circumstances that none of us or the article know about. I highly doubt that she is just leaving her teammates out to dry. Atleast I would hope not.

You don't know that she's not so everyone will assume she is.

spirate_9
04-25-2008, 09:05 PM
If I were the coach, as soon as I heard her decision, I'd know what was more important to her... Prom. Over athletics. Nobody's gonna remember what dress you wore, how pretty you looked, or what stud you went with. They'll remember that 61 split you ran to suck up the "fastest girl in state" on the home stretch, to go to state. STATE is something you'll remember forever. That gold medal hanging up on the wall, knowing you busted your tail and ran faster than you thought you could for that, is something you can keep close to you forever, not how drunk you got that night. I wouldn't penalize that person for it because you can't make an athlete do anything but you'll know exactly what's more imporant to that person.

CenTexSports
04-25-2008, 09:08 PM
What if she loses or blows out a knee?

kepdawg
04-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by spirate_9
If I were the coach, as soon as I heard her decision, I'd know what was more important to her... Prom. Over athletics. Nobody's gonna remember what dress you wore, how pretty you looked, or what stud you went with. They'll remember that 61 split you ran to suck up the "fastest girl in state" on the home stretch, to go to state. STATE is something you'll remember forever. That gold medal hanging up on the wall, knowing you busted your tail and ran faster than you thought you could for that, is something you can keep close to you forever, not how drunk you got that night. I wouldn't penalize that person for it because you can't make an athlete do anything but you'll know exactly what's more imporant to that person.

Knowing you did what you wanted to do.

nobogey72
04-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by lakers
Get a grip dude. she made her choice, it is final, and her parents probably spent lots of $$$ on a dress, hair, etc...

I would choose to go to prom over a regional meet. Now if I were #1 or 2 in the state then that is a different story. Either they are fast enough to make it too state or they aren't.

:stirpot: :taunt: .

I've got a grip-- "Dude"-- I wasn't making any character judgements about the girl. I was just saying how I see it. I obviously don't know any of the details or circumstances about the athlete, and I have seen this same situation come up many many times at Wylie concerning baseball and track, concerning boys and girls going or not going to the prom. I just know that the coaches that have hard fast rules about it seem to have less problems. I have just always been surprised when kids choose the prom over the team sport. Doesn't mean I'm right and they are wrong, I was really just giving my opinion which is what I thought boards like this were for. My bad there "Dude".

GreenMonster
04-25-2008, 10:07 PM

As a coach I think my hands would be tied in this situation. You really can't punish the girl for someone else's poor planning, I.E. the prom committee. She earned her spot in the 400, let her run it. You can substitute someone into the mile relay. You just can't take away someone's prom. In many cases it is a once in a lifetime event. Is she letting her teammates down? Yes, to a degree. As a coach I certainly wouldn't allow her to run if the team advances to State since she chose to not run at regionals, and I would make that perfectly clear in the days leading up to the regional meet. Ultimately it is still her decision and she probably has quite a bit of money tied up in prom dress, shoes, bag, limo, pictures, etc. It isn't the perfect scenario every coach wants, but like I said it was poor planning on the part of the prom committee and probably an oversight by the principal for allowing Prom to interfere with such a big track meet.

3aSoftball4Mom
04-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by lakers

:stirpot: :taunt:

Or maybe just maybe,
her parents said "I spent what????? on that dress, shoes, jewelry, deposit on a limo and you want to go to track meet?????? " "I don't think so my dear. Money does not grow on trees and I'll be @$%@ if the coach is going to tell me what my daughter can and cannot do".
:D
Maybe...she's nominated for Prom Queen.

or... maybe they had an agreement early on about it.

BUT, then again, if it was Softball regionals, well............:D
that's a little different though because the coches have the control over scheduling.

I agree that whoever scheduled Prom for that school certainly did not take Athletics into consideration and that's a shame.
Our prom is scheduled for May 10th. The day of the State track meet.

nobogey72
04-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
As a coach I think my hands would be tied in this situation. You really can't punish the girl for someone else's poor planning, I.E. the prom committee. She earned her spot in the 400, let her run it. You can substitute someone into the mile relay. You just can't take away someone's prom. In many cases it is a once in a lifetime event. Is she letting her teammates down? Yes, to a degree. As a coach I certainly wouldn't allow her to run if the team advances to State since she chose to not run at regionals, and I would make that perfectly clear in the days leading up to the regional meet. Ultimately it is still her decision and she probably has quite a bit of money tied up in prom dress, shoes, bag, limo, pictures, etc. It isn't the perfect scenario every coach wants, but like I said it was poor planning on the part of the prom committee and probably an oversight by the principal for allowing Prom to interfere with such a big track meet.

There you have it. From someone who has been there. It's hard to schedule a prom around baseball because of all the variables but they've known when the Regional Track Meet was going to be probably since September.

3aSoftball4Mom
04-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

Very well put! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

LH Panther Mom
04-25-2008, 10:25 PM
There you have it. From someone who has been there. It's hard to schedule a prom around baseball because of all the variables but they've known when the Regional Track Meet was going to be probably since September.
That is true, but do you know in September "who" is going to be participating? Sometimes a prom committee has limited options on dates due to other events, available venues, etc. Ours is May 10....and we "still" don't know if we'll have anyone at the state track meet or not.

Heck, for all ANY of us know, she actually missed prom LAST year for Regional track and the possibility of state. Regardless of her reasons, I doubt it was an easy decision and without 100% of the facts, I'm sure not going to judge.

Now, FWIW, my son (and his g/f) are aware if we have a conflict such as this girls' next year with prom, he'll be at the track meet.

nobogey72
04-25-2008, 11:18 PM
That is true, but do you know in September "who" is going to be participating? Sometimes a prom committee has limited options on dates due to other events, available venues, etc. Ours is May 10....and we "still" don't know if we'll have anyone at the state track meet or not.

Heck, for all ANY of us know, she actually missed prom LAST year for Regional track and the possibility of state. Regardless of her reasons, I doubt it was an easy decision and without 100% of the facts, I'm sure not going to judge.

Now, FWIW, my son (and his g/f) are aware if we have a conflict such as this girls' next year with prom, he'll be at the track meet.

I agree, and I sure didn't intend on sounding judgemental about her. I guarantee you that if it was my daughter and she felt THAT strongly about going to the prom, then by golly we would go to the prom. That wouldn't be my wish, but then again it wouldn't be about MY wishes. Wylie's prom is always either at Carnegie Hall or the Smithsonian Institute so we always have conflicts. Sometimes we have to fly them back and forth with our team helicopter to make it all work. BTW LHmom by the time ya'll come to Wylie, we will have installed 800 more seats on the visitor's side, so we hopefully will have seat for all of you stinkin Panthers or whatever you are.:D :thumbsup: :taunt:

NastySlot
04-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Prom is very overrated....and the way things are now a days...she's probably a freshman and going with some older guy or a senior that's been to four already..............I coach and I have a problem with kids choosing other things over team sports..it imo is selfish..and I will remember the decision that was made and where you rate your teammates.....but I also have to remember (and the guy thats going to be a coach)....it's not just (yours) or my world....things we don't think are important.... are important to others.....as always I fault the parents in this a little..... I have a daughter and like or not she would be going to the meet cause others are counting on her.........but this girl mentioned isn't on my team or my daughter she made her decision and will have to live with it............................I remember a quote from an old baseball coach that was having problems with kids griping about a playoff game on the night of prom...he said "you have the rest of you life to dance...and you can even do it when your old".

LH Panther Mom
04-26-2008, 12:21 AM
I agree, and I sure didn't intend on sounding judgemental about her. I guarantee you that if it was my daughter and she felt THAT strongly about going to the prom, then by golly we would go to the prom. That wouldn't be my wish, but then again it wouldn't be about MY wishes. Wylie's prom is always either at Carnegie Hall or the Smithsonian Institute so we always have conflicts. Sometimes we have to fly them back and forth with our team helicopter to make it all work. BTW LHmom by the time ya'll come to Wylie, we will have installed 800 more seats on the visitor's side, so we hopefully will have seat for all of you stinkin Panthers or whatever you are.:D :thumbsup: :taunt:
Sorry, the "judgement" thing was more for the starter than you. ;) Like I said, mine knows where he'll be next year, if he makes it. We've had kids that have made the same choice she did. I didn't agree with it then, and don't know, BUT since I have no say, it doesn't affect me.

800 MORE? :devil: We might have 800 total on our visitor side.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-26-2008, 01:06 AM
I haven't read all of this, but I will go ahead and say that I think it is wrong for her to skip out on her teammates. She's doing it for her own self-satisfaction and with total disregard to all of the work that her teammates have put into it. It took four people working hard and pushing each other to get there and she's letting her teammates down. If it were something that were actually worth missing for, such as a death in the family, an illness, or an accident, then I could understand it, but I just can't fathom how you can be so selfish that you're going to sacrifice not only the hard work that you put out there but the hard work of your friends and teammates so you can have a good time for one night. Plain and simple, that's what she is doing no matter how you want to paint the picture. All of those girls put forth the hard work so that they could have something to look back on when they were older and have something to be proud of, but now they can always wonder what if because the opportunity for them to be as great as they could have been was taken away by the selfishness of one person. I can't believe that anyone who has participated in a team sport can think that it is okay for someone to bail on their teammates in exchange for a good time. I don't think you or the girl who is doing this put yourselves in the shoes of the other three girls on the team. It's really disappointing to me that anyone would do that.

jlg043
04-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Sorry, the "judgement" thing was more for the starter than you. ;) Like I said, mine knows where he'll be next year, if he makes it. We've had kids that have made the same choice she did. I didn't agree with it then, and don't know, BUT since I have no say, it doesn't affect me.

800 MORE? :devil: We might have 800 total on our visitor side.

Ok, well let me clear up things a little bit, I was judging this girl on her decision and that my fault but at the same time your judging me for my opinion so we are all a little judgmental on this board thats what these threads are for, for what we think and our opinions... now I may have gone a little far but I just was thinking from these girls point of views and how upsetting that can be... just like big blue said "I can't believe that anyone who has participated in a team sport can think that it is okay for someone to bail on their teammates in exchange for a good time. I don't think you or the girl who is doing this put yourselves in the shoes of the other three girls on the team. It's really disappointing to me that anyone would do that."

Necks_Fan
04-26-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm by no means defending her decision, but I am asking people to be less judgemental. I just have a feeling that she didn't just come out of the blue and say "screw ya'll, I'm going to Prom."

I still think there was probably a pre-arranged agreement, or maybe it wasn't her decision.

Prom is important, and if the 400 is her event, then her track future is in no jeopardy.

JMO.

nobogey72
04-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Yep! IF this is the hardest decision she'll ever have to make, or IF this is the biggest disappointment the other 3 girls will ever have to endure.... Then life will be pretty dang good!!! :2thumbsup

LH Panther Mom
04-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Yep! IF this is the hardest decision she'll ever have to make, or IF this is the biggest disappointment the other 3 girls will ever have to endure.... Then life will be pretty dang good!!! :2thumbsup
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Antec
04-26-2008, 09:47 AM
East Bernard held there's in January

Jan and Feb are best months with mainly basketball going on

Some schools have soccer but very little going on Saturday's

The Sooner you get them over with the better you don't have to worry i they are in March-May

Emerson1
04-26-2008, 01:17 PM
moron. There is only 1 reason to go to prom

charlesrixey
04-26-2008, 02:09 PM
nothing wrong with the kid going to prom

although if i were scheduling prom i would probably make sure there weren't any major conflicts

lepfan
04-26-2008, 02:52 PM
why argue or gripe about it...nothing said here is going to change anyone's mind...and really if it does not affect you personally the only thng you are accomplishing is getting you and a few others wound up like an 8 day clock...about something that will not stop the world from spinning....IMO AND ONLY MO!!! :)

bandera7
04-26-2008, 02:55 PM
I see what your saying about arguing and getting wound up. but what else is the board for if not for debate?

Emerson1
04-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
nothing wrong with the kid going to prom

although if i were scheduling prom i would probably make sure there weren't any major conflicts
There are probably only certain venues they can use for it. You can't schedule prom to fit around 1 person's schedule.

mustang04
04-26-2008, 06:07 PM

and my senior yr the ppl who went to regionals came to prom in their track uniforms... ALL OF THEM! no one left early or nothing like that... b/c they were part of a team and coaches wouldnt allow it!

you have your head so far up the concept that highschool sports is life's arse that are really missing the big picture....Prom is memories and sometimes it's one of the last big class getogethers for alot of ppl who grew up together....what's life if you don't get to enjoy it??

NastySlot
04-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
you have your head so far up the concept that highschool sports is life's arse that are really missing the big picture....Prom is memories and sometimes it's one of the last big class getogethers for alot of ppl who grew up together....what's life if you don't get to enjoy it??

so are you saying that high school sports aren't a big part of high school life?....this board is proof that high schools sports rate high with a lot of people.......said it before prom is overrated....kids esp. girls start going to those things now when they are freshman....so they might go to four .......and the new big thing.....last chance for memories seems to be the after prom or projection graduations held by most schools...that's what the kids seem to look forward to.................it's simple athletics and team aren't important to this kid....so let her go.

lepfan
04-26-2008, 10:01 PM
I see what your saying about arguing and getting wound up. but what else is the board for if not for debate? True...LOL...

Ranger Mom
04-27-2008, 12:06 AM
I am torn on this.

On one hand, the fact that she is on a relay team makes it hard on the others. I do think she should be able to participate in the 400 though. Is the relay's team best time good enough to even get out of regionals and to state?

On the other hand, if this is the hardest decision she has to make in her high school years, I consider her lucky!

Personally, I never saw what the big deal was about prom. I didn't go to any of mind nor did I want to. I wasn't allowed to go with my boyfriend at the time, so what was the point?

That being said, I quit track after my sophomore year and I was pretty good...and I was on every relay, so I guess I wasn't much of a teammate myself. But no matter how good our times were, we were never able to beat the relay team from Colorado City!!:(

My parents, not being big sports fans, would have MADE me go the prom if they had already bought my dress, etc. and it had conflicted with something else.

I just think there extenuating circumstances that we aren't hearing.

PHS Wildcats
04-27-2008, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I am torn on this.

On one hand, the fact that she is on a relay team makes it hard on the others. I do think she should be able to participate in the 400 though. Is the relay's team best time good enough to even get out of regionals and to state?

On the other hand, if this is the hardest decision she has to make in her high school years, I consider her lucky!

Personally, I never saw what the big deal was about prom. I didn't go to any of mind nor did I want to. I wasn't allowed to go with my boyfriend at the time, so what was the point?

That being said, I quit track after my sophomore year and I was pretty good...and I was on every relay, so I guess I wasn't much of a teammate myself. But no matter how good our times were, we were never able to beat the relay team from Colorado City!!:(

My parents, not being big sports fans, would have MADE me go the prom if they had already bought my dress, etc. and it had conflicted with something else.

I agree

3aSoftball4Mom
04-27-2008, 02:27 AM
I am torn on this.

I posted my opinion earlier about this, here's some more.

I always have taught my girls that when you make a comittment you will stick with it no matter what. Especially when it involves other people. ESPECIALLY TEAM SPORTS.
To some, prom is a big deal, to others it's not. That should be ok either way. Sports is a big deal to some and others it's not. That too should be ok.

It is not for anyone else to judge unless they are involved. IMO

There is always two sides to every story.
Like Ranger mom said, "circumstances that we are not hearing."

Like Necks_Fan said "probably a pre-arranged agreement, or maybe it wasn't her decision."

I'm sure that this girl did not come by this decision on her own. How many kids are allowed to make decisions like this.......... on their own. ???

A lot of you said that "if this was the toughest decision that she will ever make then she's got it pretty easy." TRUE...BUT I bet this wasn't an easy one for any of them. We don't get to see that side of the story.

I implied in my earlier post that (most) parents spend a lot of $$$$$ on their girls and proms essentials, it's probably stupid to some of you and to others you know what I mean. We parents who spend unneccesary funds on their precious little girls, hate when money gets spent and things are not used.
Especially when we are throwing so much money towards the gas companies!!!

Those of you that are going to rip me, because you think I'm saying "go to the prom, forget track".......remember.....I'm a sports mom too and have coaches in the family. I just see both sides of the coin.

One final thing......every minute of our kids lives as they are growing up, should be a treasured memory for both. :)

nobogey72
04-27-2008, 03:02 AM
Not arguing the point , I promise, but before they spent the $$, don't you think that they knew that it was the same weekend as the Regional Track Meet?

BTW- I hope someone will post how she did in the open 400 and how the relay ended up doing.

3aSoftball4Mom
04-27-2008, 04:11 AM
Not arguing the point , I promise, but before they spent the $$, don't you think that they knew that it was the same weekend as the Regional Track Meet?

BTW- I hope someone will post how she did in the open 400 and how the relay ended up doing.

Maybe so, but seriously, what difference does that make. (Not arguing either)
You can't assume that you will qualify for Regionals/State and NOT prepare for something as big as the prom.
Anymore than you can assume that you are not going to Regionals/State, so let the Prom partying and preparing begin!!.
Heck some of these girls buy dresses or reserve limos, flowers etc... months in advance.
Don't you think the prom committee knew that they were scheduling the dance the same as the regional track meet too?
and no, Emerson, you can't schedule or reschedule around one person, but it's usually not just one student going to an important event like either of these are.

Just a question?? Not being rude.......Do you have a daughter in high school?

BTW: My Daughter's date can't go to her prom, because he qualified for State which is the same weekend.
Fantastic for him and his school!!!! Not so good for her.

Necks_Fan
04-27-2008, 07:30 AM
I just think there extenuating circumstances that we aren't hearing. This is my whole arguement. I too believe there are other circumstances and the people on this thread are quick to jump on this girl's case because of some article, even though none of us know what's really happening.

nobogey72
04-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by 3aSoftball4Mom
Maybe so, but seriously, what difference does that make. (Not arguing either)
You can't assume that you will qualify for Regionals/State and NOT prepare for something as big as the prom.
Anymore than you can assume that you are not going to Regionals/State, so let the Prom partying and preparing begin!!.
Heck some of these girls buy dresses or reserve limos, flowers etc... months in advance.
Don't you think the prom committee knew that they were scheduling the dance the same as the regional track meet too?
and no, Emerson, you can't schedule or reschedule around one person, but it's usually not just one student going to an important event like either of these are.

Just a question?? Not being rude.......Do you have a daughter in high school?

BTW: My Daughter's date can't go to her prom, because he qualified for State which is the same weekend.
Fantastic for him and his school!!!! Not so good for her.

No, I don't have a daughter in HS, but 2 sons that have already graduated and went to the prom, and a 10 yr daughter. Back at Dear Ol' Abilene High in the early 70's Abilene was a tad bit conservative to have proms so I really don't have a good take on how big proms seem to be, and probably shouldn't have even gotten in on this thread. I doubt my 10 yr old daughter will go to the prom because I have already told her that if she goes, I am driving them there, sitting with them when they eat, and MOST DEFINITELY --- Dancing IN BETWEEN them during all dances (including the slow ones!) :D :D :D

Rocket Dad
04-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Two thoughts

1. School can schedule Prom on a date that does not have any U.I.L. competition .
2. These statements about "it's her choice" are funny. Do you "choice" people believe that 16 and 17 year olds should make decisions on their own 24-7? Here are the facts - When a conflict of childrens' activities occur, the parents and adult coaches (sponsors etc.) should make the decision for the child with some input from the youngster. The post about it depending on if she has a chance to go to state or not is ridiculous. It's about the journey. It's about the effort. It's about the memories. So many young people nowadays feel like "If I can't get the top prize, why try?" - This is sad.

mustang04
04-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Two thoughts

Here are the facts - When a conflict of childrens' activities occur, the parents and adult coaches (sponsors etc.) should make the decision for the child with some input from the youngster.

maybe on some BIG decisions..yes...but if a highschooler would rather go to prom then run track..then that's her choice

Emerson1
04-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Two thoughts

1. School can schedule Prom on a date that does not have any U.I.L. competition .
2. These statements about "it's her choice" are funny. Do you "choice" people believe that 16 and 17 year olds should make decisions on their own 24-7? Here are the facts - When a conflict of childrens' activities occur, the parents and adult coaches (sponsors etc.) should make the decision for the child with some input from the youngster. The post about it depending on if she has a chance to go to state or not is ridiculous. It's about the journey. It's about the effort. It's about the memories. So many young people nowadays feel like "If I can't get the top prize, why try?" - This is sad.
1. EVERY weekend if going to have some kind of UIL activity going on. They have to schedule prom for what's best for the other 99% of the students.

2. Maybe for something big like what college to go to or what car to buy. But I wish all the luck to you if you try and make your daughter run in a track meet when she really wants to go to prom. "It's about the memories", as dumb as it is you will make more memories a prom that in total last about 10-12 hours with what you do before and after.

STANG RED
04-27-2008, 06:18 PM
I havent read every post, so this may have already been said, but heres my 2 cents worth.
If it is pretty evident by comparing others 4x1600 times in the region and state that this teams time was a long shot anyway, then I think she made the right decision. But if they really had a legit shot at doing something, then I agree she has let her teammates down completely, and would question her priorities.
But if I were her Dad, I would just make dang sure she was well aware of all the facts and circumstances and then tell her it was her decision alone to make, and would stand behind her. And any coach that tried to force anything would have a very bad day the day they had to deal with me about my daughter.
Proms are a much bigger deal to girls than boys I think. Personally I couldnt have cared less. I went to mine with my long time girlfriend, but I would have been just as happy to have gone to any number of other things, or just road around town like most nights.

:thinking: Well I only meant to give 2 cents worth, but after re-reading it, yall got a good nickles worth at least. Please send as a donation to this forum in my name.:p

3aSoftball4Mom
04-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
And any coach that tried to force anything would have a very bad day the day they had to deal with me about my daughter.

:clap: :clap:
Very well put!!!

Originally posted by STANG RED

Please send as a donation to this forum in my name.:p

checks in the mail :D

nobogey72
04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
So, does anyone know how she did in the 400, or how they did in the 4x400?