PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody else listen to Josh Howard on the Michael Irvin Show? (merged)

crzyjournalist03
04-25-2008, 04:15 PM
On my way to lunch around 1:30, I was listening to Josh Howard on the Michael Irvin Show (103.3 FM) and he was openly talking about his marijuana use during the offseason, and how he would tell kids it's bad for them, but ultimately they have to make their own choice.

He said that if he weren't tested, he doesn't think he would smoke during the season, but he enjoys getting high during the offseason!

When Michael questioned him about whether it was an addiction and asked if Howard was just deceiving himself, Howard stated that he's not going to do anything stupid to get himself into trouble (to which Irvin's co-host then pointed out that marijuana is ILLEGAL and therefore was already trouble. :doh:.

When asked how he would respond to fans who can now blame his ineffectiveness on his mind being drugged up, he said that people just look for anything they can to blame somebody, and he shouldn't take flack for smoking in the offseason.

I'm guessing they'll have this interview up on the website if it's not already.

WOW.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

crzyjournalist03
04-25-2008, 04:17 PM
yep...just checked...the interview is up on the homepage of espn1033.com if anybody wants to check it out.

Sweetwater Red
04-25-2008, 04:28 PM
If you're doing anything illegal, it's not smart to tell anyone.
Muchless, get on a radio show and tell the Metroplex. I wonder
if the Mavericks have the authority to test him year round if they
choose to?:thinking:

Maroon87
04-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer...:doh:

crzyjournalist03
04-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
If you're doing anything illegal, it's not smart to tell anyone.
Muchless, get on a radio show and tell the Metroplex. I wonder
if the Mavericks have the authority to test him year round if they
choose to?:thinking:

I don't know, but one of my co-workers just made an excellent point while we were discussing it:

He just gave the police probable cause to go and raid his house.

JasperDog94
04-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I don't know, but one of my co-workers just made an excellent point while we were discussing it:

He just gave the police probable cause to go and raid his house. What a moron.:doh: :doh:

Sweetwater Red
04-25-2008, 04:33 PM

Right....or pull him over everytime he gets behind the wheel.

Necks_Fan
04-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Right....or pull him over everytime he gets behind the wheel. They would have to have a legit reason.

crzyjournalist03
04-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Question:

If you're a parent of a basketball player, and your kid wants to go to Josh Howard's summer (read...offseason, meaning according to himself, he's probably getting high) program, do you let them?

I wouldn't.

Necks_Fan
04-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Question:

If you're a parent of a basketball player, and your kid wants to go to Josh Howard's summer (read...offseason, meaning according to himself, he's probably getting high) program, do you let them?

I wouldn't. Send them to a different camp/program.

eagles_victory
04-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Why would you admit to smoking weed in the offseason at this point in time?

DALLAS -- Dallas Mavericks forward Josh Howard brought unexpected and possibly unprecedented attention to himself Friday, just hours before Game 3 of the Mavericks' first-round series with New Orleans, by openly discussing his offseason marijuana use on Dallas' ESPN Radio affiliate.

Howard on ESPN Radio

Appearing on "The Michael Irvin Show" in Dallas Friday, Maverick Josh Howard admitted that he smokes marijuana during the off-season. Listen

Expounding on comments about marijuana that he made over the weekend to The Dallas Morning News, Howard joined "The Michael Irvin Show" on ESPN Radio 103.3 FM on Friday afternoon and told the Hall of Fame wide receiver that he "probably" would not smoke marijuana in-season even if the league did not have a random testing program but described "smoking weed in the offseason sometimes" as his "personal choice and personal opinion."

"I don't think that's stopping me from doing my job," Howard told Irvin.

The 28-year-old from Wake Forest, selected by NBA commissioner David Stern to fill a roster spot created by injury on the Western Conference All-Star team in 2007, added, "I think that everybody in the media world and in the sports world knows that NBA players do smoke marijuana."

It was not immediately clear what sort of punishment Howard could face for his candor, either from the league office or his team. But one source close to the situation told ESPN.com that the league likely "can't" suspend Howard.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said any punishment from the club will be meted out "internally."

"We won't make it public," Cuban said. "But we'll deal it.

"We'll do what we need to do."

NBA players are required to undergo four random tests every season between Oct. 1 and June 30. But a player who tests positive for marijuana is not subjected to his first five-game suspension -- or even public knowledge he has failed a drug test -- until his third failed test.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/David Zalubowski

Mavericks forward Josh Howard revealed he uses marijuana in the offseason.

There likewise appears to be no penalty precedent for a player who merely shares details about his substance abuse in the media.

Two sources close to the situation told ESPN.com Howard will almost certainly be entered immediately into the NBA's marijuana program -- which would require him to submit to much more frequent testing -- but it would appear that he is not at risk for a suspension unless he has failed two previous tests.

The league issued no response to Howard's comments Friday, citing a policy in its anti-drug agreement with the union that forbids the NBA and the Players Association from publicly discussing specifics about substance-abuse issues.

Mavericks coach Avery Johnson said during his usual pregame meeting with reporters that he would need more information before responding.

"I haven't heard the interview and I haven't spoken with Josh," Johnson said . "Once I hear the interview and talk to Josh, we'll go from there."

But, Johnson added, Howard's decision to consent to the interview and invite questions on this topic on the day of a playoff game was "what I call poor timing and poor judgment."

Dallas is already reeling from a 2-0 deficit to the Hornets entering a crucial Game 3 at home.

Howard has struggled mightily in the series, averaging 13.5 points on 26.9 percent shooting from the floor. But the discussion about marijuana with Irvin came at Howard's urging -- as the station stressed repeatedly during subsequent programming -- to clarify the statements he made to The Morning News.

Asked by Irvin's co-host, Kevin Kiley, if he fears that his struggles in this series will be linked to his marijuana admission, Howard said: "Oh yeah, I understand that. . . . I know that's not the truth."

". . . Like I was saying to the [Morning News reporter], it has nothing to do with what I do as far as basketball, when I go out there and perform," Howard said. "That's how I feel about it.

". . . What I was stating was just [in response to] a random question he asked me about the marijuana use. I just let him know that most of the players in the league use marijuana and I have and do partake in smoking weed in the offseason sometimes and that's my personal choice and my personal opinion. But I don't think that's stopping me from doing my job."

Asked why he wanted to discuss this topic, Howard said: "I was raised on being truthful and honest with myself and my family, so I can say it with no problems and go out there and perform to the best of my abilities tonight and not even think about it."

jlg043
04-25-2008, 06:40 PM
LOL HAHA!!!!:D what an idiot!

Old Tiger
04-25-2008, 07:14 PM
big deal so what...he's most likely doing it at his house. Who doesn't blaze up....

LH Panther Mom
04-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
big deal so what...he's most likely doing it at his house. Who doesn't blaze up....
Okay, I was wrong a few weeks ago when I said that comment then (whatever it was) is the stupidest thing you've posted on here, because this is. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

eagles_victory
04-25-2008, 07:23 PM
is he sure he doesnt do it during the season? I think he might of lit up before the Miami game where he called that timeout after the first free throw and Dallas couldnt advance the ball.

g$$
04-25-2008, 07:32 PM
On my way to lunch around 1:30, I was listening to Josh Howard on the Michael Irvin Show (103.3 FM) and he was openly talking about his marijuana use during the offseason, and how he would tell kids it's bad for them, but ultimately they have to make their own choice.

He said that if he weren't tested, he doesn't think he would smoke during the season, but he enjoys getting high during the offseason!

When Michael questioned him about whether it was an addiction and asked if Howard was just deceiving himself, Howard stated that he's not going to do anything stupid to get himself into trouble (to which Irvin's co-host then pointed out that marijuana is ILLEGAL and therefore was already trouble. :doh:.

When asked how he would respond to fans who can now blame his ineffectiveness on his mind being drugged up, he said that people just look for anything they can to blame somebody, and he shouldn't take flack for smoking in the offseason.

I'm guessing they'll have this interview up on the website if it's not already.

WOW.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow is right. And Michael Irvin doing the interview (yes he's reformed...supposedly...but ESPN's not convinced) is even better. Why would Howard come forth & offer that info.? It sure doesn't help him in any way, PR or otherwise.

I read where an anonymous poll done with all NBA players revealed more than 80% smoke marijuana regularly. But it has become much more prevalent in all of society again, & many think of it like drinking a beer. It's a societal issue. Marijuana is illegal to buy or possess. Alcohol is not if you are of age. But Willie Nelson says he would be dead if he hadn't quit drinking whiskey & is better off with his marijuana habit (according to Willie)!

**Here's my answer as to why he spoke about it:
"But the discussion about marijuana with Irvin came at Howard's urging -- as the station stressed repeatedly during subsequent programming -- to clarify the statements he made to The Morning News."

g$$
04-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue

So should we throw out all the laws of our country & let chaos reign supreme? How about opening up the prisons & letting the inmates go free too?

I bet if you had a loved one or close friend killed by a driver under the influence (of anything), you would feel differently. Stupid & immature comment by you.

And I don't, to answer your question.

PHS Wildcats
04-25-2008, 07:41 PM
all I can say is wow!!:eek: :doh:

Gobbla2001
04-26-2008, 10:57 AM
mary-jane is illegal, but too many people do it (and people I know) for me to bash people who do... I mean most people damn near worship Willie Nelson because he is an outlaw for keepin' it lit up... I remember when Nelson was busted the last time (couple of years ago?)... everyone had the "Ha, that's good ole Willie Nelson for you" reaction... but when a sports figure does it they're a real bad person...

Stupid mistake talking about that on a radio show, but he's probably right about the number of players that do light up...

I don't do it, haven't touched it in 10 years (I was 15, and that was only twice), I just know too many normal everyday people who do it...

Sorry mods if it seems I'm making a pro-drug post, I can understand that, but I'm not... just sayin' there's some sort of double-standard out there...

Gobbla2001
04-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by g$$

I bet if you had a loved one or close friend killed by a driver under the influence (of anything), you would feel differently.

couldn't believe this was still online...

My half-sister:

CARROLLTON - Misty Dawn Hunter, 21, died Sunday, Dec. 9, 2001.
Services will be at 3:30 p.m. Thursday in Moore Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will be in Moore Memorial Gardens.

Mrs. Hunter was a loving daughter, wife and friend. She was a massage therapist. She touched many in her short life and will be missed by all who knew and loved her. She played the piano and had a beautiful voice. She is resting in the loving arms of her Heavenly Father.

Survivors include her husband, Leroy Moore III; her mother, Cheryl Hunter of Carrollton; her father, Roderick Lee Zimmerman; six brothers, Jeryme Hunter of Gruver, Patrick Hunter and wife, Marci, of Canyon, Barton Zimmerman and wife, Shelby, of Oklahoma, Derick Zimmerman of Houston, Travis Zimmerman of Chicago and Michael Lang and wife, Dana, of Carrollton; two sisters, Jolene Lang of Amarillo and Gabrielle Lang of Las Vegas; her grandparents, W.C. and Reba Hunter of Gruver and Cleo Hunter of Amarillo; and numerous nieces, nephews, aunts and uncles.

---

I remember reading it the first time and thinking "I'm from Houston?"

misprint

drunk-driver

Emerson1
04-26-2008, 01:10 PM

Good, maybe that can void his contract and won't have to pay him 9 million the next 4 years

Emerson1
04-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by g$$

I bet if you had a loved one or close friend killed by a driver under the influence (of anything), you would feel differently. Stupid & immature comment by you.

So you have never had alcohol in your entire life?

JasperDog94
04-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
So you have never had alcohol in your entire life? alcohol isn't illegal

Gobbla2001
04-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
alcohol isn't illegal

in all fairness g$$ said under the influence 'of anything'... and GoBlue never said he wanted people to get high and get behind the wheel, just said he had no problem with 'the stuff' so there was a misunderstanding there to begin with...

Emerson1
04-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
alcohol isn't illegal
Because the govt can tax it

JasperDog94
04-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Because the govt can tax it So you're saying that the government couldn't tax marijuana?

I_DONT_CARE
04-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
They would have to have a legit reason.
UH, NO THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY HAVE TO HAVE A LEGIT REASON.