PDA

View Full Version : Lake Worth Baseball = Overrated

Red_Dawg
05-12-2002, 11:37 AM
I have no idea how LW is ranked in the top ten. They struggled against a young and inexperienced 3rd place team (Sweetwater) this weekend. They are not in the same category as Abilene Wylie and their run will end this next round. LW's pitching is good, defense is average, but offensively they are very suspect. Their fans are classless, I eventually had to move to the Sweetwater side so my 6 yr old son would not learn any new vocabulary words. Lw has had a good season but it will end at the paws of the Bulldogs this next weekend.

Jacket2000
05-12-2002, 12:17 PM
Am I the only one who finds this post strangely familiar?
J2K

MustangFan03
05-12-2002, 09:57 PM
Seems to me that you sound like an Abilene Wylie fan if you went to a game in Abilene and have the name Dawg and talking like "your" Bulldogs will win.
For one thing you should have been sitting on Sweetwater's side in the first place and supporting your district. It also sounds like the typical talk of an Abilene Wylie Fan, always trashing the other teams fans. And they wonder why everyone does'nt like them!

bearcat1
05-18-2002, 08:57 AM
According to most of the Wylie supporters, NOBODY is in the same category as them. It is truly amazing. I can relate to your feelings about having to move sides though...I've attended several Wylie events and every time wished I could have moved to another area of the stadium (state) to get away from their lowclass fans,but I was already on the other side and couldn't get any further away. There is something to be said for winning, and losing, with grace. A team with class would not make a post like what you made. But, it doesn't surprise me. Anyway, As far as my experiences with Lake Worth (and I have had many), I have sat on the Lake Worth side many times when I've gone to their various sporting events over the course of the last 10 years, as early as 1992 and as recent as last season. Given a choice between the two, I would sit on the Lake Worth side any day of the week.
bc

[This message has been edited by bearcat1 (edited May 18, 2002).]

DAWGfan
05-18-2002, 10:11 AM
if you have truely sat on the Wylie side then you would know how much class our fans have...and as for Lake Worth...well you should have just been at the game Thursday...i will admit that their are some Wylie supporters on here without class...but when it comes down to our fans...you had better watch what you say...our fans could not be any classier(sp.??)...i am sorry for the outburst but when it comes down to our fans that pisses me off...our fans never yell at the other teams coaches/players or even their fans...yeah occasionally we yell at umpires/referees...but then again that is only when it is an obvious call...

bearcat1
05-18-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by DAWGFAN:
if you have truely sat on the Wylie side then you would know how much class our fans have...and as for Lake Worth...well you should have just been at the game Thursday...i will admit that their are some Wylie supporters on here without class...but when it comes down to our fans...you had better watch what you say...our fans could not be any classier(sp.??)...i am sorry for the outburst but when it comes down to our fans that pisses me off...our fans never yell at the other teams coaches/players or even their fans...yeah occasionally we yell at umpires/referees...but then again that is only when it is an obvious call...

I attended a baseball game between Wylie and Aledo last season. It was a very competitive game and series. It was the 3rd game, tied up series, and back & forth it went. Aledo lost the game on the last play of the game. After it was over I walked up to a Wylie fan and congratulated them on their win. The reply to me was and I quote "How's it feel to be a bearcat?!"...very unsportsmanlike and totally without class. The fans made comments like this throughout the game, i was on the Aledo side but the Wylie side was directly next to us so I heard it throughout the game. I know you will say "this was only 1 fan"...I could list others, it seems the "this was only 1 fan" reply will always follow unless I have personally met each and every fan so I won't waste the time to enlighten you on other experiences I've had with Wylie people.
Again, based on my own experiences I would sit with Lake Worth any day of the week rather than with Wylie. Although the incident did give me the opportunity to discuss with my son the importance of winning, and losing, with dignity.
bc

whsfan
05-18-2002, 10:47 AM
I've got to agree with DAWGFAN. The vast majority of the Wylie fans are respectful of their opponents.

Originally posted by DAWGFAN:

oldbuff78
05-18-2002, 07:00 PM
Wylies ride will end very soon!!

DAWGfan
05-18-2002, 07:55 PM
Hey oldbuff78...i hope you dont eat your own words!!!

vet93
05-18-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by bearcat1:
I attended a baseball game between Wylie and Aledo last season. It was a very competitive game and series. It was the 3rd game, tied up series, and back & forth it went. Aledo lost the game on the last play of the game. After it was over I walked up to a Wylie fan and congratulated them on their win. The reply to me was and I quote "How's it feel to be a bearcat?!"...very unsportsmanlike and totally without class. The fans made comments like this throughout the game, i was on the Aledo side but the Wylie side was directly next to us so I heard it throughout the game. I know you will say "this was only 1 fan"...I could list others, it seems the "this was only 1 fan" reply will always follow unless I have personally met each and every fan so I won't waste the time to enlighten you on other experiences I've had with Wylie people.
Again, based on my own experiences I would sit with Lake Worth any day of the week rather than with Wylie. Although the incident did give me the opportunity to discuss with my son the importance of winning, and losing, with dignity.
bc

Bearcat...as a fellow Bearcat (from a different town!), I agree with you to a point. It has been my experience that some of the Wylie fans are great and some are not based on who you happen to be sitting next to. In my experience the older fans who have seen Wylie during the days when they were not so competitive seem to be classy fans. The younger generation who have only seen the last few years of Wylie athletics seem to be so full of themselves that they have to put down every team that they face (win or lose). This has been the perspective of someone who has played against and watched Wylie since the early eighties. When I was playing Wylie was at most an afterthought on the schedule. Just another "W". I think that the younger Wylie fans should take a page from the older fans and try to have a better perspective. The saying "every dog has his day goes both ways". Meaning that there will come a time when things are not going their way and the teams that they have been verbally trashing will take no prisoners.

whsfan
05-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Jacket2000:
Am I the only one who finds this post strangely familiar?
J2K

Jacket, at the first of the post, you suggestively turn the string against Wylie. Bearcat and Mustang soon join and the bash is on.

One problem with your post. The Wylie fans were at the Wylie vs. Springtown game. Not the Sweetwater vs Lake Worth game. But you succeed none the less to get another successful bash on the way. Congratulations!

eye of the tiger
05-25-2002, 09:32 AM
whsfan. Last year Wylie posters spent more time running down another program than stating the accomplishments of their own team. It wasn't "tongue in cheak" put downs and in many cases, down right malicious. Red_Dawg's post had this same tone. Although a lot nicer than many Wylie fans last year, it did start out by putting Lake Worth down. Wylie has a great athletic program and can stand on its own merits. You guys should be proud of what you accomplish rather than saying that anyone is overated that dares to step on the field with you.
Just my thougts and I do wish you guys much luck this year.

vet93
05-25-2002, 11:32 AM
WHSfan...I agree with our friend from Commerce. The way that the Wylie fans acted last year left a bad taste in alot of peoples mouth's. It may be wrong to judge the whole fan base for Wylie by these posters, but they were the one's representing you, like it or not. As I stated in a previous post, I personally know many classy Wylie fans whom I call friend, however most of the people on this board have not had that opportunity. Therefore, the only way that Wylie fans can be redeemed in many of the posters eyes is for the Wylie fans that participate on this board to stand up and act in a classy manner. It is not hard to do. Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat. Goon natured ribbing is O.K., but don't make it a personal thing. If someone makes a negative statement about your school in error, try to state the facts as you know them, but don't personally attack the other person unless you have to defend yourself from personal attack. Don't assume everone is out to get you. If you behave in a decent manner, you will be surprised at how well the other posters will treat you and your team.

whsfan
05-25-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by vet93:
WHSfan...I agree with our friend from Commerce. The way that the Wylie fans acted last year left a bad taste in alot of peoples mouth's. It may be wrong to judge the whole fan base for Wylie by these posters, but they were the one's representing you, like it or not. As I stated in a previous post, I personally know many classy Wylie fans whom I call friend, however most of the people on this board have not had that opportunity. Therefore, the only way that Wylie fans can be redeemed in many of the posters eyes is for the Wylie fans that participate on this board to stand up and act in a classy manner. It is not hard to do. Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat. Goon natured ribbing is O.K., but don't make it a personal thing. If someone makes a negative statement about your school in error, try to state the facts as you know them, but don't personally attack the other person unless you have to defend yourself from personal attack. Don't assume everone is out to get you. If you behave in a decent manner, you will be surprised at how well the other posters will treat you and your team.

Vet & Eye,
Both of you are right and you gave some good advice.

eye of the tiger
05-25-2002, 09:01 PM
whsfan--personally Im glad you guys are division I. LOL. gook luck in '02

bearcat1
05-29-2002, 03:32 PM
why is it that RedDawg can make this type of post against another town, but if anyone responds to him, then you say 'the bash is on" ?!? He made the post to begin with!!! But for his actions, my post would never have occurred!
bc

Red_Dawg
05-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Just for the record. I do not live in Abilene Wylie school district. I did not graduate from there nor am I a Wylie fan. I am a baseball fan who spends alot of time watching games in the Abilene area. You can argue about biased posts and unruly fans all you want to, but please leave me out of the discussion. I am, believe it or not, unbiased or affected by school alliance. I would rather spend my time discussing baseball games or teams.