PDA

View Full Version : Is there a NBA franchise?

kepdawg
04-24-2008, 11:06 AM
With a worse history at the center position than the Mavs? :thinking:

Sweetwater Red
04-24-2008, 11:13 AM
:thinking:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/webber-dunk1.jpg

Phil C
04-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Seattle is moving to Oklahoma City soon.

BreckTxLonghorn
04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
The Bulls were pretty poor, though they get overlooked due to Jordan & Pippen carrying the team through the times.

Bulls' Championship Centers:
Bill Cartwright (1st 3peat)
Luc Longley (2nd 3peat)
Bill Wennington (2nd 3peat)
(one more I can't remember--the second 3peat consisted of 3 centers, and they used all three win they would play the Shaq Magic, allowing 18 fouls on the man).

injuredinmelee
04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Roy Tarpley might have been a good one...

I remember when he came to play for the Wichita Falls CBA franchise with John Lucas after he got out of Lucas' rehab center. MY moms boss bought season tickets and no one wanted them so they gave them to my lil bro and I both years we were there. We had a blast at those games.

Bull's-eye
04-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Houston has been very fortunate to have Elvin Hayes, Moses Malone, Ralph Sampson, Hakeem Olajuwon & Yao Ming. San Antonio has done quite well with Daid Robinson & Tim Duncan.

venomous tat2
04-24-2008, 01:52 PM
No offense , but this thread could've been called teams that made the biggest mistake in NBA hist.........

Right now it's a tie between the Suns & the Mavs .

1. Suns- they blew it by teading Shawn Marion , Shaq is good but he doesn;t fit into their style of play ( up tempo ) and they are suffering for it now they can't guard Ginobili or Parker ,and Shaq slow the tempo down .

2. Dallas - thew really blew it by trading away Devin Harris & Diop
their chemistry has water on it now " they did not need Jason Kidd " Last year Avery got out coached it was "student VS the Master " IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT mark cuban....

kepdawg
04-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by venomous tat2
No offense , but this thread could've been called teams that made the biggest mistake in NBA hist.........

Right now it's a tie between the Suns & the Mavs .

1. Suns- they blew it by teading Shawn Marion , Shaq is good but he doesn;t fit into their style of play ( up tempo ) and they are suffering for it now they can't guard Ginobili or Parker ,and Shaq slow the tempo down .

2. Dallas - thew really blew it by trading away Devin Harris & Diop
their chemistry has water on it now " they did not need Jason Kidd " Last year Avery got out coached it was "student VS the Master " IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT mark cuban....

:confused:

Maroon87
04-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
San Antonio has done quite well with Daid Robinson & Tim Duncan.

Artis Gilmore wasn't too shabby back in the early 80's either, although not on par with those two.

PHS Wildcats
04-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Seattle is moving to Oklahoma City soon. :confused: :D

eagles_victory
04-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Houston has been very fortunate to have Elvin Hayes, Moses Malone, Ralph Sampson, Hakeem Olajuwon & Yao Ming. San Antonio has done quite well with Daid Robinson & Tim Duncan. Duncan is a power forward not a center.

Necks_Fan
04-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Duncan is a power forward not a center. Owned. Lol.

Bull's-eye
04-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Duncan is a power forward not a center.

Duncan is officially listed as a Forward/Center.

cshscougar08
04-24-2008, 09:05 PM
The Hornets have never really had a true center. Alonzo Mourning was one back in the early years in Charlotte, but no one was ever really good or consistent. Maybe Vlade Divac, but I never thought he was that great.

jimmyceatworld
04-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
:thinking:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/webber-dunk1.jpg

:mad: :mad: :mad: He is the best 7 ft 6 in center the Mavs have ever had ... EVER!!!

eagles_victory
04-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Duncan is officially listed as a Forward/Center. power forward.

Bull's-eye
04-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Forward-Center

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_duncan/index.html

eagles_victory
04-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Forward-Center

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_duncan/index.html ok i dont want to ever hear you participate in the argument that Duncan is the best power forward ever then since you think hes a center. It can list him as a center all day but they always have had another person start at center for the majority of his career and hes been the power forward (Robinson, Nsterovich sp?, Alberto)

Bull Butter
04-25-2008, 12:05 AM
I know the Spurs (or Rockets) could never be part of this conversation because we once had "The Whopper".....Billy Paultz

http://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/PlayerMaterial/BillyPaultz/BJonesJumperKenonPaultz.jpg

Bull's-eye
04-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I know the Spurs (or Rockets) could never be part of this conversation because we once had "The Whopper".....Billy Paultz

http://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/PlayerMaterial/BillyPaultz/BJonesJumperKenonPaultz.jpg

He also played for the Rockets! I wouldn't put him as one of the great big men, but he would bring his lunch pail and do the blue collar work.

Bull's-eye
04-25-2008, 01:17 AM
ok i dont want to ever hear you participate in the argument that Duncan is the best power forward ever then since you think hes a center. It can list him as a center all day but they always have had another person start at center for the majority of his career and hes been the power forward (Robinson, Nsterovich sp?, Alberto)

Never said he wasn't a PF, but he is also listed as a center. In the traditional sense of the game, Duncan plays more like a typical center. He is usually in the low post with his back to the basket. Take Okur from Utah, he is listed as a center, but his game is more from the perimeter. Boozer is listed as as PF, but he plays more like a center in the low post. Certain big men are capable of playing both positions and actually there's not a lot of difference

Karl Malone would be my pick at PF.

Bull's-eye
04-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Looked up basketball center on Wikipedia.

There has been occasional controversy over what constitutes a "true center". Some examples include: Many have argued that Ben Wallace, while highly effective at center, is actually a power forward playing out of position, mainly because his 6'9" (2.06 m) height makes him considerably smaller than most centers he faces. Likewise, some would say that Tim Duncan, although listed throughout his career as a power forward, is actually a center, because of his size and style of play. In fact, he has been playing more minutes at the center position than the power position as of late. This is because it is believed that when Duncan entered the NBA, he played power forward in order to keep San Antonio Spurs teammate David Robinson playing as center and have two dominant big men on the floor. However, Duncan has continued to be listed as a power forward even after Robinson's retirement. Nonetheless, the judgment of whether a given player is a center or power forward is often highly subjective.

g$$
04-25-2008, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
The Bulls were pretty poor, though they get overlooked due to Jordan & Pippen carrying the team through the times.

Bulls' Championship Centers:
Bill Cartwright (1st 3peat)
Luc Longley (2nd 3peat)
Bill Wennington (2nd 3peat)
(one more I can't remember--the second 3peat consisted of 3 centers, and they used all three win they would play the Shaq Magic, allowing 18 fouls on the man).

& Will Perdue...they all played a role while the others did the heavy lifting, esp. of course Jordan & Pippen.

g$$
04-25-2008, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Artis Gilmore wasn't too shabby back in the early 80's either, although not on par with those two.

Darn right he was...& his best days were behind him too in the ABA. Gilmore was a hoss.

Duncan is a 4 but can play the 5 too. He's a 4 by skill set & that is what he will be remembered for after he's done (w/ Barkley, Malone, etc.). He will guard 5s in crunch time often if need be (Yao, etc.). In fact, this past year the NBA listed him as a center on the All-Star ballot & then changed him back to a power forward because Yao was winning the vote due to Chinese block online (Spurs complained). Both were starters eventually I believe.

I fondly remember the "Whopper" Billy Paultz. Blue collar guy & solid player. Good role player in his day. Good stuff.

Sweetwater Red
04-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
:mad: :mad: :mad: He is the best 7 ft 6 in center the Mavs have ever had ... EVER!!!

LMAO....

He's the only 7' 6" center the Mavs have ever had.:D

Bull's-eye
04-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Duncan is a 4 but can play the 5 too. He's a 4 by skill set & that is what he will be remembered for after he's done (w/ Barkley, Malone, etc.). He will guard 5s in crunch time often if need be (Yao, etc.). In fact, this past year the NBA listed him as a center on the All-Star ballot & then changed him back to a power forward because Yao was winning the vote due to Chinese block online (Spurs complained). Both were starters eventually I believe.

G$$ knows his basketball. :2thumbsup

g$$
04-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Always good to talk any kind of ball with you too. Appreciate the kind words, Bull's-eye.

big daddy russ
04-26-2008, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Duncan is a 4 but can play the 5 too. He's a 4 by skill set & that is what he will be remembered for after he's done (w/ Barkley, Malone, etc.). He will guard 5s in crunch time often if need be (Yao, etc.). In fact, this past year the NBA listed him as a center on the All-Star ballot & then changed him back to a power forward because Yao was winning the vote due to Chinese block online (Spurs complained). Both were starters eventually I believe....
He reminds me in some ways of Hakeem. Hakeem was the same thing (except maybe a bit more athletic, but without the handle or passing skill)... a forward in a center's body. You hit the nail on the head, g$$.

g$$
04-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
He reminds me in some ways of Hakeem. Hakeem was the same thing (except maybe a bit more athletic, but without the handle or passing skill)... a forward in a center's body. You hit the nail on the head, g$$.

And so did you, Russ. You can win a few games w/ Olajuwon & Duncan! Long time no talk, how goes it? Hope all is well buddy.

big daddy russ
04-26-2008, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by g$$
And so did you, Russ. You can win a few games w/ Olajuwon & Duncan! Long time no talk, how goes it? Hope all is well buddy.
Working more than a prostitute in Compton and going through the hell that is wedding planning.

How 'bout you?

g$$
04-26-2008, 02:18 AM
Working more than a prostitute in Compton and going through the hell that is wedding planning.

How 'bout you?

Wow, that's busy! I'm ok, just ordinary life & trying to keep girlfriend happy & off my back. Just returned last week from an Aggie Golf Tourney/Buddydrinkfest in Junction. Wore me out for 3 days, getting too old for that stuff.

Best of luck w/ the wedding. Let me know if you are ever in Houston & want to say hello, catch an Astros game, etc. Take care Russ.

big daddy russ
04-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Wow, that's busy! I'm ok, just ordinary life & trying to keep girlfriend happy & off my back. Just returned last week from an Aggie Golf Tourney/Buddydrinkfest in Junction. Wore me out for 3 days, getting too old for that stuff.

Best of luck w/ the wedding. Let me know if you are ever in Houston & want to say hello, catch an Astros game, etc. Take care Russ.
I live in Houston now, and after all the wedding stuff is over (circa August), that'd be fun.

g$$
04-26-2008, 05:55 PM
I live in Houston now, and after all the wedding stuff is over (circa August), that'd be fun.

Up north right? I am heading that way Tues. night for a Wade Bowen dinner/show at Dosey Doe's in The Woodlands.

Sounds good, stay in touch.