PDA

View Full Version : Romo in cabo...???

jlg043
04-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Do you think that Romo going to Cabo was really a bad idea? Do you think it would of helped him and the cowboys out if he stayed home and watched film and mabey studied up a little bit... just wanted some opinions... Romos stats - 18/36 201 1/1

Txbroadcaster
04-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by jlg043
Do you think that Romo going to Cabo was really a bad idea? Do you think it would of helped him and the cowboys out if he stayed home and watched film and mabey studied up a little bit... just wanted some opinions... Romos stats - 18/36 201 1/1

Romo going to Cabo did not make the OL stop blocking in the 2nd half or Garrett going away from the running game

jimmyceatworld
04-23-2008, 03:43 PM
I think everyone that tried to make it into a big deal is what made it so bad

Emerson1
04-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Woah, have I just been dreaming the past months? Is it January?

No it didn't hurt. Everyone on the team took a vacation to somewhere, whether it was a few hours flight to a beach or a few hours flight up north to see family.

jlg043
04-23-2008, 04:31 PM
so you dont think it did factor in at all... so instead of hitting the books and study some film to have that little extra edge than getting drunk in cabo helped their chances? your the qb your the leader, act like it ya know! Phil Simms once said in an interview "even when practice and meetings were over and he was done for the day he would often grab a bunch of videotapes, go into a film room and then take a nap. He'd get up a few hours later and let everyone see him leaving the film room. " "He said he believed that a quarterback has to set the tone that he's the hardest working guy on the team willing to put in the most work (even if only for appearances sake)." you will have plenty of time to go to Cabo in the off-season... your team has unfinished business lets take care of it... 18/36 201 1/1 thats not taking care of crap

Txbroadcaster
04-23-2008, 04:33 PM
so you dont think it did factor in at all... so instead of hitting the books and study some film to have that little extra edge that getting drunk in cabo helped their chances? your the qb your the leader, act like it ya know! Phil Simms once said in an interview "even when practice and meetings were over and he was done for the day he would often grab a bunch of videotapes, go into a film room and then take a nap. He'd get up a few hours later and let everyone see him leaving the film room. " "He said he believed that a quarterback has to set the tone that he's the hardest working guy on the team willing to put in the most work (even if only for appearances sake)." you will have plenty of time to go to Cabo in the off-season... your team has unfinished business lets take care of it... 18/36 201 1/1 thats not taking care of crap

He was not gone a week..he was gone on a bye weekend..and Jason Witten was with him..it is a NON-ISSUE and had no effect on the game

Ranger Mom
04-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
He was not gone a week..he was gone on a bye weekend..and Jason Witten was with him..it is a NON-ISSUE and had no effect on the game

I agree with you!!

Emerson1
04-23-2008, 04:41 PM
so you dont think it did factor in at all... so instead of hitting the books and study some film to have that little extra edge than getting drunk in cabo helped their chances? your the qb your the leader, act like it ya know! Phil Simms once said in an interview "even when practice and meetings were over and he was done for the day he would often grab a bunch of videotapes, go into a film room and then take a nap. He'd get up a few hours later and let everyone see him leaving the film room. " "He said he believed that a quarterback has to set the tone that he's the hardest working guy on the team willing to put in the most work (even if only for appearances sake)." you will have plenty of time to go to Cabo in the off-season... your team has unfinished business lets take care of it... 18/36 201 1/1 thats not taking care of crap
I'm sure everyone other player was getting drunk wherever they went. It's legal to drink the the U.S. you know? He could of done the same thing here.

There line couldn't stop the best defensive line in the league, simple as that.

jlg043
04-23-2008, 04:43 PM
I just think the season is spent on football and the off-season is spent to do that type of stuff... you just made the playoffs as a number one seed lets not get ahead of ourselves... lets get down to business and we will worry about pleasure when the season is over

Txbroadcaster
04-23-2008, 04:44 PM
I just think the season is spent on football and the off-season is spent to do that type of stuff... you just made the playoffs as a number one seed lets not get ahead of ourselves... lets get down to business and we will worry about pleasure when the season is over

Ok so he sits at home and has a party, or goes out on the town..how is that different

NO..I repeat NO NFL Player spends EVERY bye week sitting at home or at the facility watching game film 24/7

jlg043
04-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I'm sure everyone other player was getting drunk wherever they went. It's legal to drink the the U.S. you know? He could of done the same thing here.

There line couldn't stop the best defensive line in the league, simple as that.
yea thats prolly why they loss as well... im not saying dont get drunk or dont drink... but i mean crap lets not spend our bye week to mess off but lets hit the books and get that little bit better... so answer this... did cabo help romo? or would studying and hitting the books help him? out of those two choice which won would help them win???? did we hear about brady going and messing off... not that i remember... but I do remember him going to the superbowl cause Bill wont have it!

crzyjournalist03
04-23-2008, 04:51 PM
yea thats prolly why they loss as well... im not saying dont get drunk or dont drink... but i mean crap lets not spend our bye week to mess off but lets hit the books and get that little bit better... so answer this... did cabo help romo? or would studying and hitting the books help him? out of those two choice which won would help them win???? did we hear about brady going and messing off... not that i remember... but I do remember him going to the superbowl cause Bill wont have it!

neither considering that he knows the playbook inside and out and didn't have any team to gameplan for.

Emerson1
04-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
neither considering that he knows the playbook inside and out and didn't have any team to gameplan for.
Zing!

jlg043
04-23-2008, 05:05 PM

well you can narrow it down i bet... there are plenty of things you can do... study film on yourself... study other teams... hit your playbook... study defenses... get w/ your players and see where yall have made mistakes in the past and make sure your dont do it again... perfect yourself!!! self-disipline!!! you dont go play around when you have unfinished business to take care of! like i said you didnt hear about brady doing that stuff but you heard of him in the superbowl... he has won superbowls and he has self-displine... you didnt hear about any one from the Patriots playing around and thats why they are solid year in year out... let your players go wild and get eliminated in the 1st game!!! plain and simple...

Txbroadcaster
04-23-2008, 05:22 PM
well you can narrow it down i bet... there are plenty of things you can do... study film on yourself... study other teams... hit your playbook... study defenses... get w/ your players and see where yall have made mistakes in the past and make sure your dont do it again... perfect yourself!!! self-disipline!!! you dont go play around when you have unfinished business to take care of! like i said you didnt hear about brady doing that stuff but you heard of him in the superbowl... he has won superbowls and he has self-displine... you didnt hear about any one from the Patriots playing around and thats why they are solid year in year out... let your players go wild and get eliminated in the 1st game!!! plain and simple...

once again..it was not the whole week..it was a weekend he was gone

Emmit Smith used to go home to Florida on bye weeks.

g$$
04-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Romo going to Cabo did not make the OL stop blocking in the 2nd half or Garrett going away from the running game

Agreed, but as a team leader & starting qb for the Dallas Cowboys it was NOT a good idea. He could chill out & relax without going to Cabo. Perception & the ruckus it caused are never good things for a team preparing for a playoff game. He could have waited & done his thing with Jessica later.

Just not a very smart decision at that point in time IMO. Poor judgement on his part & I bet it does not happen again.

jlg043
04-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed, but as a team leader & starting qb for the Dallas Cowboys it was NOT a good idea. He could chill out & relax without going to Cabo. Perception & the ruckus it caused are never good things for a team preparing for a playoff game. He could have waited & done his thing with Jessica later.

Just not a very smart decision at that point in time IMO. Poor judgement on his part & I bet he does not happen again.

my point exactly... thats what the off-season is for... you dont hear about peyton or tom doing that and the produce year in year out... dont draw any more attention to yourself than needed... your the team leader act like one... now that we got Pacman is that the type of Influence you want to have on a guy like that?

Txbroadcaster
04-23-2008, 05:46 PM
my point exactly... thats what the off-season is for... you dont hear about peyton or tom doing that and the produce year in year out... dont draw any more attention to yourself than needed... your the team leader act like one... now that we got Pacman is that the type of Influence you want to have on a guy like that?

Tom brady was flying to California during his bye week, and flying to California during game weeks as well

jlg043
04-23-2008, 05:49 PM
was he drinking at a beach in Cabo... or doing anything like that... no he had an injured foot and that was that... he didnt draw anymore unnecessary attention!

nobogey72
04-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Any anti-Cowboy fan can find lots of things to pick at and criticize. The same could be said or done about any team in the NFL or NBA. Some get caught and some don't. I would never argue that Pacman has acted like a thug for a lot of years, but I'm pretty sure guys just like him are scattered around on every team. As far as Romo going to Cabo for 3 days being an issue, GIVE ME A BREAK. That is just fodder for the media. Honestly, ask yourself, if it had been anybody other than Jessica Simpson, would anyone even noticed, or cared? I don't think so.

jlg043
04-23-2008, 06:02 PM
I could care less who he is with... its the fact your horse-playing in cabo when your team has unfinished business... Im a Cowboys fan and have been since day 1... thats why I am pissed at Romo I dont care who he took... Im saying dont go goof-off when you have stuff to take care of... growing up my dad always said "Work first, b/s second" there is a time and a place its called off-season... if he did that in off-season would it be as big of a deal? would Bill B let tom do that... no way

g$$
04-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Any anti-Cowboy fan can find lots of things to pick at and criticize. The same could be said or done about any team in the NFL or NBA. Some get caught and some don't. I would never argue that Pacman has acted like a thug for a lot of years, but I'm pretty sure guys just like him are scattered around on every team. As far as Romo going to Cabo for 3 days being an issue, GIVE ME A BREAK. That is just fodder for the media. Honestly, ask yourself, if it had been anybody other than Jessica Simpson, would anyone even noticed, or cared? I don't think so.

I agree it had no impact.

But, he knew the drill when he started dating Jessica (& good for him!). He put himself in that position to be tabloid material. In today's world nothing is a secret. IMO just poor judgement on his part & I bet he learned from it too.

g$$
04-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Tom brady was flying to California during his bye week, and flying to California during game weeks as well

Thought he was going to NYC mostly to see Gisele?...

jlg043
04-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I agree it had no impact.

But, he knew the drill when he started dating Jessica (& good for him!). He put himself in that position to be tabloid material. In today's world nothing is a secret. IMO just poor judgement on his part & I bet he learned from it too.

Hopefully!!!:clap:

nobogey72
04-23-2008, 07:54 PM
How does anyone know but what JJ or Wade Phillips or Jason Garrett might have suggested that he take 2 or 3 days and just get the heck out of Dodge and avoid the media and all the other stuff and just chill? Does that sound far-fetched? Who knows.:thinking:

kaorder1999
04-23-2008, 07:56 PM
it had no impact whatsoever.

Adidas410s
04-25-2008, 08:50 AM
I could care less who he is with... its the fact your horse-playing in cabo when your team has unfinished business... Im a Cowboys fan and have been since day 1... thats why I am pissed at Romo I dont care who he took... Im saying dont go goof-off when you have stuff to take care of... growing up my dad always said "Work first, b/s second" there is a time and a place its called off-season... if he did that in off-season would it be as big of a deal? would Bill B let tom do that... no way
1. Show us some proof that he WASN'T studying in Cabo.
2. There are pictures of him in Cabo WITH HIS PLAYBOOK IN HAND.
3. Show us some proof that he was out partying/drinking in Cabo.
4. From espn.com:

And it's why, during his recent off-week in Cabo, Tony Romo was seen with his playbook instead of Jessica Simpson on his lap.

Stop playing typical Cowboys whiner...it's annoying.

Rule #76
04-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
1. Show us some proof that he WASN'T studying in Cabo.
2. There are pictures of him in Cabo WITH HIS PLAYBOOK IN HAND.
3. Show us some proof that he was out partying/drinking in Cabo.
4. From espn.com:

you beat me to it adidas. my thoughts exactly!!

so should baseball players do nothing but go to cages everyday during the all star break? should they not go visit their family or take a couple days off? give me a break. quit being "THAT FAN" jlg. sometimes the best thing you can do is get away not think about it at all. clear your head. relax.

Ranger Mom
04-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Extremely!!!!:clap:

Sweetwater Red
04-25-2008, 10:29 AM
I could care less about the Cowboys one way or another. So,
this is just an unbiased opinion.

The Cowboy fans that are making a big deal of it are playing the
"what if" card. Just accept reality and move on.

The Cowboy haters that are making a big deal of it are desperately
trying to make it look like Romo and the Cowboys blew it rather than the
Giants won it.

Ranger Mom
04-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Giants won it.

What about the rest of us??:p

Sweetwater Red
04-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What about the rest of us??:p

Are jealous because they want to switch places with either
Romo or Simpson.:thinking: :D :devil:

Adidas410s
04-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Giants won it.

http://blog.mlive.com/state_sports/2007/12/large_lionsmain09.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071209/capt.945c94e3be6e419b8c30c4d310c5e4b5.cowboys_lion s_football_dtf102.jpg

http://bp1.blogger.com/_0H0gnjnDGWo/R15eK4kWALI/AAAAAAAAGxo/SgOUuke585Q/s400/xin_132120410172371823831.jpg

http://they.misled.us/images/detroit-lions.jpg

http://www.talkingnfl.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/millen.jpeg

http://www.monoblogue.us/images/Fire%20Millen%20photo.jpg

coachc45
04-25-2008, 11:51 AM

So on your weekends off, I gather that you go into your yard and work to perfect your digging skills and study other diggers, so that when you go back to work on monday you are the perfect ditch digger!!!

Give me a break, dude had a weekend off and he took his girl someplace nice. So would you. Hypocrits make me want to barf.

crzyjournalist03
04-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by coachc45
Hypocrits make me want to barf.

I can help.

Have you ever been punched in your jejunum?

:D

coachc45
04-25-2008, 12:04 PM
No I haven't but I willing to try anything once! :)

jlg043
04-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by coachc45
So on your weekends off, I gather that you go into your yard and work to perfect your digging skills and study other diggers, so that when you go back to work on monday you are the perfect ditch digger!!!

Give me a break, dude had a weekend off and he took his girl someplace nice. So would you. Hypocrits make me want to barf.

Actually, on my weekends off my dad and I both work on the farm till late afternoon or dark, then mabey at night depending we will go and have a couple of cold ones but he brought me up to work first b/s second, now if he dosent have anything to do which is never b/c that poor old man works from sun up to sun down, but if he doesnt then I may go bbq or something but thats whats bad is ppl think oh I got extra time lets play it off when you can actually do something constructive... there are times and places to do it at, for me its weekend nights for Romo it should be off-season

Even when I was younger and I would be doing homework during the day he would drag me out of the house to go help w/ the cows and that sort of stuff and I would say that I was doing homework and he would say thats what the lights in the house are for and that I could do that at night, but out here on this farm you have your limited amount of light use it to our advantage

Txbroadcaster
04-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Actually, on my weekends off my dad and I both work on the farm till late afternoon or dark, then mabey at night depending we will go and have a couple of cold ones but he brought me up to work first b/s second, now if he dosent have anything to do which is never b/c that poor old man works from sun up to sun down, but if he doesnt then I may go bbq or something but thats whats bad is ppl think oh I got extra time lets play it off when you can actually do something constructive... there are times and places to do it at, for me its weekend nights for Romo it should be off-season

Even when I was younger and I would be doing homework during the day he would drag me out of the house to go help w/ the cows and that sort of stuff and I would say that I was doing homework and he would say thats what the lights in the house are for and that I could do that at night, but out here on this farm you have your limited amount of light use it to our advantage

So please explain what Romo should do during a weekend off

kepdawg
04-25-2008, 02:24 PM
It had as much an effect on the game as Jerry's face lift!

jlg043
04-25-2008, 03:01 PM
So please explain what Romo should do during a weekend off

depends on if its in season or not... my motto work first b/s second if its the season and he is at work then live by the motto if its off-season I dont care

Txbroadcaster
04-25-2008, 03:03 PM
depends on if its in season or not... my motto work first b/s second if its the season and he is at work then live by the motto if its off-season I dont care

I am talking about the weekend he went to Cabo..The Bye weekend, when he had the weekend off from work

So yes it was in season, but he was NOT at work

Chief Woodman
04-25-2008, 03:23 PM

Lets see....Peyton Manning stayed home and studied that same week. At the end of the year he was watching the Super Bowl just like Romo........

jlg043
04-25-2008, 03:24 PM
I am talking about the weekend he went to Cabo..The Bye weekend, when he had the weekend off from work

So yes it was in season, but he was NOT at work

obviously!!!:D

themsu97
04-25-2008, 03:37 PM
If I had a weekend off and I could go to Cabo with Jessica Simpson? heck even Mike Tyson is smart enough to know this is a no brainer...
I am not a Cowboy fan and this is no way affected the game... I guess Whitten missed all those passes and blocks because he was there as well?
where was marco rivera and the rest of the oline?

COwboys lost because the Giants were better, they did win the Super Bowl correct?

Txbroadcaster
04-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
?
where was marco rivera and the rest of the oline?

uhhh Marco was at home..he did not play in 2007

kepdawg
04-25-2008, 03:44 PM
uhhh Marco was at home..he did not play in 2007

You were a lot nicer about that then I was thinking about being! With that said, it might explain some of the problems if they were counting on Rivera to block!

jlg043
04-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
You were a lot nicer about that then I was thinking about being! With that said, it might explain some of the problems if they were counting on Rivera to block!

LOL!:D

Adidas410s
04-25-2008, 04:24 PM
13-3, 1st in the NFC, Pro Bowl QB, numerous Cowboys QB records

Looks like Romo did plenty of "work first" in the season...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kepdawg
04-25-2008, 04:26 PM

Yes, but they collapsed in December and did not advance in the playoffs! So clearly it was the wrong thing to do!

jlg043
04-25-2008, 04:53 PM

too bad he didnt finish it off when it matters the most... mos def the right desicion! go play in Cabo then lose the next week... we dont care next year take Pacman to the strip club while your at it:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

crzyjournalist03
04-25-2008, 04:55 PM
too bad he didnt finish it off when it matters the most... mos def the right desicion! go play in Cabo then lose the next week... we dont care next year take Pacman to the strip club while your at it:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dan Marino really sucked then...he never got it done when it mattered most.

g$$
04-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Dan Marino really sucked then...he never got it done when it mattered most.

Got your point, but Marino did make it to a Super Bowl. Same with Barkley (NBA Finals) & others always brought up in this conversation. Romo hasn't won a single playoff game yet.

Still say it was poor judgement on Romo's part. He could chill anywhere (Dallas, go see parents, stay in USA) & it not be Cabo w/ cameras around & that whole deal. Clearing your head is one thing, being in the tabloids is another (not saying being w/ Jessica is a bad thing!). Why not wait until later for that & just get ready for the big game? He opened himself up to criticism.

But the Giants won & I don't think his vacation had any impact at all on the outcome. Dallas just got beat.

nobogey72
04-25-2008, 06:12 PM
How does anyone know but what JJ or Wade Phillips or Jason Garrett might have suggested that he take 2 or 3 days and just get the heck out of Dodge and avoid the media and all the other stuff and just chill? Does that sound far-fetched? Who knows.:thinking:

I still haven't had anyone respond to this. I think we all assume that we know more than we actually do.

g$$
04-25-2008, 06:18 PM
I still haven't had anyone respond to this. I think we all assume that we know more than we actually do.

I don't know what was said behind closed doors - none of us do.

But I do know "getting the heck out of Dodge" does not have to mean going to Cabo w/ a celebrity girlfriend. That's not avoiding the media - sports or entertainment. He brought unneeded attention to himself. He could have waited & gone there after the season & done whatever. And, I still don't think it impacted the game, but it was poor judgement on his part.

Answer this: would Roger Staubach or any of the oldtimers we all love & respect have done that?

piratebg
04-25-2008, 07:16 PM
I can't believe people are still arguing about this. :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
04-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Lets see....Peyton Manning stayed home and studied that same week. At the end of the year he was watching the Super Bowl just like Romo........
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

nobogey72
04-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I don't know what was said behind closed doors - none of us do.

But I do know "getting the heck out of Dodge" does not have to mean going to Cabo w/ a celebrity girlfriend. That's not avoiding the media - sports or entertainment. He brought unneeded attention to himself. He could have waited & gone there after the season & done whatever. And, I still don't think it impacted the game, but it was poor judgement on his part.

Answer this: would Roger Staubach or any of the oldtimers we all love & respect have done that?

Roger probably wouldn't have, but if Jessica had asked him he might still be down there. I understand what you are saying, but I also think times are different, and I think that if JJ, or Phillips, or Garrett had a problem with him going he would not have gone. Hindsight is 20/20, and Joe Namath sunbathing on the beach wasn't exactly the epitomy of dedication but I don't remember any one questioning his judgement or saying that he shouldn't have been so lax about his preparation. But one thing is probably true---- I'll bet now that he wishes he hadn't gone just because of all the 2nd guessing. I didn't keep up, but I bet the DFW media took a lot of shots after the fact.

g$$
04-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Roger probably wouldn't have, but if Jessica had asked him he might still be down there. I understand what you are saying, but I also think times are different, and I think that if JJ, or Phillips, or Garrett had a problem with him going he would not have gone. Hindsight is 20/20, and Joe Namath sunbathing on the beach wasn't exactly the epitomy of dedication but I don't remember any one questioning his judgement or saying that he shouldn't have been so lax about his preparation. But one thing is probably true---- I'll bet now that he wishes he hadn't gone just because of all the 2nd guessing. I didn't keep up, but I bet the DFW media took a lot of shots after the fact.

I agree with all of the above.

Here's the difference: Joe Willie did his thing, guaranteed a SB win & backed it up. Romo is still trying to win a playoff game. He opened himself up to 2nd guessing.

Roger Staubach, to this day, probably doesn't know who Jessica Simpson even is!