that really stinks.

Phil C
04-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Not surprising at all.

Daddy D 11
04-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Not surprising at all.

I agree, but why would you not want to win a national championship? Texas would have returned every key player, and then added some talented freshman.

JasperDog94
:bigcry: :bigcry: :speech:

JasperDog94
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I agree, but why would you not want to win a national championship? Texas would have returned every key player, and then added some talented freshman. Uhhhh....who said that he didn't want that?

kepdawg
04-23-2008, 01:20 PM
I agree, but why would you not want to win a national championship? Texas would have returned every key player, and then added some talented freshman.

$$$$$

Daddy D 11
04-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Uhhhh....who said that he didn't want that?

He obviously doesnt if he is going to leave, awful hard to win a national championship in the NBA

Daddy D 11
04-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
$$$$$

yeah, and thats understandable. But it just kills me, it happens so friggin often now. NCAA needs to make a requirement of staying atleast 2 years before bailing to the NBA.

JasperDog94
04-23-2008, 01:22 PM
He obviously doesnt if he is going to leave, awful hard to win a national championship in the NBA Oh...I thought you were talking about Phil not wanting them to come back. Sorry, I misunderstood.:doh:

JasperDog94
04-23-2008, 01:23 PM
yeah, and thats understandable. But it just kills me, it happens so friggin often now. NCAA needs to make a requirement of staying atleast 2 years before bailing to the NBA. That would have no effect on these two guys. Although I do agree with you that there should be a 2 year minimum.

Daddy D 11
04-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Oh...I thought you were talking about Phil not wanting them to come back. Sorry, I misunderstood.:doh:

haha alrighty my bad for the confusion

Daddy D 11
04-23-2008, 01:24 PM
That would have no effect on these two guys. Although I do agree with you that there should be a 2 year minimum.

True, didnt even think of that. Guess they just seemed young for some reason. I watched Abrams play in High School not too long ago so i still think of them as reaallll young.

Emerson1
04-23-2008, 01:27 PM
yeah, and thats understandable. But it just kills me, it happens so friggin often now. NCAA needs to make a requirement of staying atleast 2 years before bailing to the NBA.
The NCAA can't make rules like that. They can't force players to stay in school.

Emerson1
04-23-2008, 01:27 PM
I think Augustine was exposed that he needs more time to develop when he was shut down by the big Memphis guards.

I didn't think Abrams was even thinkings of coming out. I bet he comes back if he isn't taken in the first 2 or 3 rounds.

JasperDog94
04-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
The NCAA can't make rules like that. They can't force players to stay in school. No, but the NBA can.

kepdawg
04-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I think Augustine was exposed that he needs more time to develop when he was shut down by the big Memphis guards.

I didn't think Abrams was even thinkings of coming out. I bet he comes back if he isn't taken in the first 2 or 3 rounds.

First 2 or 3 rounds? :thinking: :confused:

Daddy D 11
04-23-2008, 01:33 PM
First 2 or 3 rounds? :thinking: :confused:

he played great in those rounds, but Memphis made him look like a little school boy.

kepdawg
04-23-2008, 01:35 PM
he played great in those rounds, but Memphis made him look like a little school boy.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what Emerson posted!

Sweetwater Red
04-23-2008, 01:35 PM
The NCAA can't make rules like that. They can't force players to stay in school.

It was the NBA that made the one year out of HS rule. The
player doesn't necessarily have to spend it attending an university.

jason
04-23-2008, 01:36 PM
players who leave early should have to pay back their scholarship money...

Daddy D 11
04-23-2008, 01:36 PM
That has absolutely nothing to do with what Emerson posted!

haha i thought you were saying that Augustin played great in the first 2 or 3 rounds. (considering he did) My bad my bad...calm down:)

Sweetwater Red
04-23-2008, 01:39 PM

There aren't three rounds in the NBA draft.:doh: :D

Emerson1
04-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
There aren't three rounds in the NBA draft.:doh: :D
O ya, well then he is going to come back. There are better 3 point options out there.

Fotbol
04-23-2008, 01:59 PM
He obviously doesnt if he is going to leave, awful hard to win a national championship in the NBA
With this High Gas prices, it's no wonder they want to go pro, you can't fill your car up in college

Txbroadcaster
04-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by jason
players who leave early should have to pay back their scholarship money...

So should someone on an academic ride have to pay back if they leave school early?

jason
04-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
So should someone on an academic ride have to pay back if they leave school early?

if they don't graduate, then yes....

how many students on academic scholarships leave early to be professional athletes and get multi million dollar contracts??

Phil C
04-23-2008, 02:41 PM

I agree. If we could have kept them or some other players that we have lost because they didn't stay at UT a little longer I think we might have won an NC. But you can't blame the players for going for the big money the NBA offers. Plus we wouldn't have to keep splitting the the Aggies for the men's basketball. One has to hand it to the Aggies for getting players who stay for 4 years for them.

BwdLions
04-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
With this High Gas prices, it's no wonder they want to go pro, you can't fill your car up in college

You can if you go to ou. :p

JasperDog94
04-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
You can if you go to ou. :p nice... :fnypost:

BreckTxLonghorn
04-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Augustin will hire an agent so he is gone

Abrams will not hire an agent so he can return

Augustin will not hire an agent until the workout process is done. If at any time he does not feel like he will be drafted high he will take his name off

Just the info I received on it.

kepdawg
04-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Augustin will not hire an agent until the workout process is done. If at any time he does not feel like he will be drafted high he will take his name off

Just the info I received on it.

You are correct. He has every intention of going though. It's not so much a matter of him worrying about his draft position as it is protecting himself in case of injury.

Adidas410s
04-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I agree. If we could have kept them or some other players that we have lost because they didn't stay at UT a little longer I think we might have won an NC. But you can't blame the players for going for the big money the NBA offers. Plus we wouldn't have to keep splitting the the Aggies for the men's basketball. One has to hand it to the Aggies for getting players who stay for 4 years for them.
Get that money Horns, get that money! :)

rholl
04-23-2008, 03:26 PM
a person goes to college to get a good paying job and hopefully a secure life. You get the opportunity to make millions, you have succeded in your college goals.
Personally I hate it, I would love to see every player stay around for 4 yrs. I understand leaving though.

Phil C
04-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by rholl
a person goes to college to get a good paying job and hopefully a secure life. You get the opportunity to make millions, you have succeded in your college goals.
Personally I hate it, I would love to see every player stay around for 4 yrs. I understand leaving though.

It is only logical as you mentioned rholl. Look how many millions Matt Leinart lost by staying another year. Of course he did alright though. Still it is risky to wait and risk injury and lose millions of dollars.

Phil C
04-23-2008, 03:30 PM
I just wish UT could get some players and could do the job (winning the NC) like Carmelo Anthony did at Syracuse his freshman year and then left for the pros. No unfinished business for Carmelo.

Texasfootball2
04-23-2008, 03:35 PM
True this is sad, but for Longhorn fans it's also a good thing. It's because players like Aug., Abrams, and Durant, and ect....... leave early for the NBA that makes it easier for Barnes to keep getting stud recruites every year. This is the mark of a top program. Much like Duke, NC, UCONN, ect...

Barnes has built a great program at UT, Horns fans should hope that he stays for a while. It's all about players.

jimmyceatworld
04-23-2008, 03:41 PM

Why? I thought it was always about being able to play at the next level so that's why the NFL makes players wait 3 years. Kids can come right out of high school and do good in the NBA (I'm not saying they always do) but I don't think that'd be the case for football.

Would adding another year change much? Obviously palyers will improve their skills but the same guys who would have left after 1 year would leave after 2. I think that a lot of people (not all) that want more restrictions just want players to stay on the team that they pull for as long as possible