PDA

View Full Version : Yoakum's Travis Starling named Big 12 Pitcher of Week...

g$$
04-23-2008, 01:47 AM
www.big12sports.com

BIG 12 PITCHER OF THE WEEK

Travis Starling, Texas A&M, RHP, So., Yoakum, Texas/Yoakum HS

Starling picked up a win and a save to guide the No. 8 Aggies to their first Big 12 sweep of Baylor. He entered in the ninth inning on Friday night to protect a 2-1 lead, retiring the Bears' 4-5-6 hitters en route to posting his eighth save of the season. On Sunday in Waco, Starling threw a career-high four innings and earned the 13-12, 11-inning victory over BU. He completed a stretch during the ninth and 10th innings where he retired six of seven, setting the stage for Texas A&M's game-winning hit in the 11th.

**Nice honor for a great kid I got to know a few years back in select ball. Walked onto A&M with an academic scholarship, redshirted, & has now lettered the past 2 years. Really good story & fine family. Congrats to him.

So far on year:
6-0 record w/ 2.22 ERA & 8 saves as A&M's closer
(filthy knuckle curve is out pitch & just competes on mound)

A&M is now ranked as high as #6 in the various polls & leading the Big 12 by 1.5 games over NEB, but tough series remain. Long way from being over.

Starling's hs teammate, LHP Riley Boening, is pitching for Texas & working his way back from shoulder surgery last year. Yoakum has produced a bunch of good ones the past few years: Ryan Wagner (UH/MLB WASH & Cincy), Randy Boone (Texas/drafted by MLB & in minors), B.J. Boening (A&M/SWT), Riley Boening (UT), Travis Starling (A&M), etc. Sorry if I missed any others off top of my head.