PDA

View Full Version : Should Dirk have defended himself?

PHS Wildcats
04-21-2008, 09:56 PM
I know that it's always the "2nd" guy that get a caught, I don't think you should ever let anyone put his or her hand in your face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVYjjCKeaRg

kepdawg
04-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Nope

Emerson1
04-21-2008, 10:08 PM
He will tomorrow night when he drops 40/15 on them.

Remember when Tim Thomas blew him a kiss and called him a womans privates? Responded with 50 points...

I don't know why this is getting so much news. Kobe had something similar done by Anthony Carter and he just walked away.

mwynn05
04-21-2008, 11:53 PM
remember when scottie pippen told karl malone the mailman doesn't deliver on sundays

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
I know that it's always the "2nd" guy that get a caught, I don't think you should ever let anyone put his or her hand in your face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVYjjCKeaRg

It is all about being mature and not acting out over smething stupid

Who cares if someone puts a hand in your face, all the bs about being respected or being treated like a man IMO is asinine.

Dirk did the right thing, he did not react, but also did not back down. He showed he was a REAL man by not doing something stupid and hurting his team

waterboy
04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Was this even looked at by the league? West should be fined and suspended for at least one game. If that doesn't happen, the league is selective in who it punishes. If a player can get suspended for a hard foul, then a player should be suspended for slapping another player. This ploy was intentional whether he was just trying to get Dirk to retaliate or not, which is what I suspect. You can bet that if Dirk would've retaliated he would have been suspended.

waterboy
04-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Well.....? Anybody know?

Macarthur
04-22-2008, 09:21 AM
He did the right thing. I would have liked it a bit if he had at least said something like ...well, you know.

What I would have preferred is the biggest guy on the team, like say...oh, I don't know....Dampier! would have came over there and got in West's face to let him know that will not be tolerated.

That's what the big guys have to do. You don't want your superstar mixing it up; that's what the enforcers are for...

Sweetwater Red
04-22-2008, 09:30 AM
This is why I miss the NBA of the 80's.:(

Karl Malone elbowed Isiah Thomas in the eye. Thomas needed
like twelve stitches.

Bill Laimbeer got retribution the next time Detroit played Utah.

After the game the reporters asked Laimbeer about it. He said Malone gave
Thomas twelve stitches...I gave Malone fourteen....

eagles_victory
04-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Thing I didnt like the most was no Mavericks players came over to help Dirk and get in between things. When Haywood and Lebron James had a little scuffle both the Wizards and Cavs had several players (who were on the court not off the bench because that would be stupid) jump in to defend their guys. EVen Illguaskaus got after Jamison a little bit and everyone knows Z isnt going to beat up anyone.

But I agree with Terry if this right here makes you think Dirk isnt tough enough or isnt much of a man you need to grow up a little bit.

kaorder1999
04-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Dirk should have at least swatted his hand away....

Phil C
04-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
remember when scottie pippen told karl malone the mailman doesn't deliver on sundays

Scottie reminds me of the sheep that was talking big to a wolf while on the roof of the house where his master put him for safety. The wolf merely said "It's easy to be big from a safe distance." Scottie was like that sheep. He had a fellow named Michael Jordon on his team.

neck_06
04-22-2008, 12:00 PM
dirk should've atleast slapped his hand away....if not more. west was trying to intimidate dirk and dallas by touching his face...there's no other explination. did it work? no, but i still think something should've been done by someone. if not dirk then one of his teammates. i'd rather see someone stand up for their teammates/team and get punished with a "T" than not do anything (i.e. - cavs/wizards game).

Emerson1
04-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Was this even looked at by the league? West should be fined and suspended for at least one game. If that doesn't happen, the league is selective in who it punishes. .
You think they would. They want to get rid of the thug image and only thugs freak out about getting disrespected. There are certain people saying he should of reacted, and certain people who are not in the media.

Dirk will have 50 tonight and will run down the court after clinching the game tapping his face.

Gobbla2001
04-22-2008, 05:40 PM
It's a tough call for me... you gotta like a guy who trys to be the better man... but I would have loved to see Dirk atleast push him away or get back in his face or SOMETHING...

hell, I'll go ahead and be straight honest with you, I would have loved to see dirk knock the crap out of the guy... but I'm not a Mavs fan depending on him to lead my team through the 'offs...

Txbroadcaster
04-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
It's a tough call for me... you gotta like a guy who trys to be the better man... but I would have loved to see Dirk atleast push him away or get back in his face or SOMETHING...

hell, I'll go ahead and be straight honest with you, I would have loved to see dirk knock the crap out of the guy... but I'm not a Mavs fan depending on him to lead my team through the 'offs...

See I think the way Dirk started at him without blinking and without reacting was awesome..NO emotion at all..Dirk had a cold look

Gobbla2001
04-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
and only thugs freak out about getting disrespected.

hell no it's not only thugs... that's a serious thing for some people, being disrespected infront of the millions or so watching and the millions that are gunna see it on ESPN and hear about it on the radio...

I think he did a respectable thing by keeping his cool, but I wouldn't call anyone a thug because they pushed or got in the face of someone who just disrespected them... now if he'da pulled out a gun and blasted the guy, well yah, thug...

Gobbla2001
04-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
See I think the way Dirk started at him without blinking and without reacting was awesome..NO emotion at all..Dirk had a cold look

that's why it's a tough call for me... it's only awesome if Dirk drops the 40/15 Emerson1 predicted... that'd be more awesomer...

Gobbla2001
04-22-2008, 05:55 PM
In an unrelated event, I learned not to disrespect Dirk in the '06 playoffs... game 7... ATT center... I was 8 rows back kinda behind the basket and called him an s-head in german (jokingly but not really)... then, on that same side of the court he converted the 3-point play to take the game into OT... and of course the Mavs won...

I will never call him an s-head in german again... I'm sorry Dirk :(