PDA

View Full Version : Little League Baseball

nobogey72
04-20-2008, 10:32 AM
I absolutely love Little League Baseball. It is baseball and fun in its purest form IMO. I've been driving out of town before and stopped on the side of the road to watch a LL game. Drives my wife nuts. Post some LL stories. Kids, over-zealous coaches, overcoaching from the stands, dumb cliches yelled by parents, etc.

Here is my personal favorite. 15 or 20 yrs ago I had a kid on my team that had a prosthetic leg from the knee down. He really was a good hitter at that level (10-12) and had the tenacity of a bulldog. Obviously he couldn't run very well. We were down by one run in the bottom of the last inning and he led off with a double (it was really a triple that he stretched into a double :D ) and the next kid hit a ball that went to the fence in right center, as the kid with the bad leg was headed for 3rd, his leg came undone and was just dangling and he fell and crawled as fast as he could the rest of the way to 3rd. He was just bawling as he just reached 3rd before they tagged him out. I was coaching 3rd and was having a hard time not bawling also. I helped him get his leg strapped back on and he wouldn't quit crying. I had a hard time finding the right words, because I figured he was crying because I figured he was crying because he was embarrassed or frustrated. He finally said, "WE would have tied the game if my dang leg hadn't fell off."

I sent that story and a picture of him into Sports Illustrated but the never printed it.

Bull's-eye
04-20-2008, 12:57 PM
This was about 30 years ago, we had a kid that had his left arm severly injured at an early age. He would pitch by holding his glove under his left arm pit and throw with his right. As soon as he released the ball, he would slip the glove on his right hand. After he caught the ball, he would slip the glove under his left arm and then take the ball out with his right arm. He did all this with one smooth motion. Most of us were amazed at how quick and natural this appeared for him. I'm sure he struggled at first, but you have to admire how he didn't let his handicap keep him from playing Little League Baseball. In fact, he was one of the top players in the league.

jimmyceatworld
04-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
This was about 30 years ago, we had a kid that had his left arm severly injured at an early age. He would pitch by holding his glove under his left arm pit and throw with his right. As soon as he released the ball, he would slip the glove on his right hand. After he caught the ball, he would slip the glove under his left arm and then take the ball out with his right arm. He did all this with one smooth motion. Most of us were amazed at how quick and natural this appeared for him. I'm sure he struggled at first, but you have to admire how he didn't let his handicap keep him from playing Little League Baseball. In fact, he was one of the top players in the league.

sounds like Jim Abbot

injuredinmelee
04-20-2008, 01:08 PM
My son plays in a league in Abilene for mentally and physically challenged children. I know it is the high light of his week both the practices, and the games. There are two teams and each kid bats each inning and is never out.
Major, my son, is the league showboat. He watches college sports religiously and loves to play the sports video games on the 360. There is also a baseball scene in the last High School Musical movie series. It might jsut be two but when they play as often at your house as they do mine then it feels like there has tobe 5968475634 of them. anyways back to topic.. he sees all these athletes on tv and mimics their every move. As he walks to the plate he acknowledges the crowd with a salute always varying. Sometimes even a bow. Before each pitch he adjusts himself then swings the bat in one hand before getting in his stance. Yesterday he did his high step to first base on his first hit and of course he must slide into every base. On his first run scored yesterday he did the high school musical head stand on home plate then stood up and did the Sammy Sosa kiss the two fingers and show them to the crowd. ITs all about the showmanship...

Bull's-eye
04-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
sounds like Jim Abbot

I remember seeing Jim Abbot pitch and it reminded me a lot of this kid from our town.

injuredinmelee
04-20-2008, 01:15 PM
we have a boy on our team that would be labeled a "litle person" Great bat speed and a good swing. He loves the game. He hit one that cleared the infield yesterday and was standing on first sulking aafterwards. I asked him what was wrong and he calmy replied, " I thought that one was out of here". It was awesome.

injuredinmelee
04-20-2008, 01:16 PM
I remember seeing Jim Abbot pitch and it reminded me a lot of this kid from our town.

wonder what he is doing now?
Didnt he come out of Michigan?

jimmyceatworld
04-20-2008, 01:16 PM

I think I have his baseball card (maybe even a couple of them)

Bull's-eye
04-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
My son plays in a league in Abilene for mentally and physically challenged children. I know it is the high light of his week both the practices, and the games. There are two teams and each kid bats each inning and is never out.
Major, my son, is the league showboat. He watches college sports religiously and loves to play the sports video games on the 360. There is also a baseball scene in the last High School Musical movie series. It might jsut be two but when they play as often at your house as they do mine then it feels like there has tobe 5968475634 of them. anyways back to topic.. he sees all these athletes on tv and mimics their every move. As he walks to the plate he acknowledges the crowd with a salute always varying. Sometimes even a bow. Before each pitch he adjusts himself then swings the bat in one hand before getting in his stance. Yesterday he did his high step to first base on his first hit and of course he must slide into every base. On his first run scored yesterday he did the high school musical head stand on home plate then stood up and did the Sammy Sosa kiss the two fingers and show them to the crowd. ITs all about the showmanship...

My daughter would substitute at some of the Denton area schools. She told me she loved her classes with the mentally and physically challenged kids. She could be having a bad day, but would always leave their class smiling and in a great mood. I'm sure the Sammy Sosa kiss brought out a few smiles.

Bull's-eye
04-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
wonder what he is doing now?
Didnt he come out of Michigan?

Yes, pitched at Michigan and played for the California Angels. He once tossed a no-hitter against the Yankees. I read that he does motivational speaking.

Emerson1
04-20-2008, 01:43 PM
People pay me $20 a game to watch games.

mwynn05
04-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Dalton Carriker's walk off homer in the 8th to win the LLWS