PDA

View Full Version : 7th grade phenom in Abilene strikes again.

nobogey72
04-19-2008, 06:56 AM
2 or 3 weeks ago I posted about a 7th grade boy from Craig Middle School in Abilene who had run a 2:05 800m in a local Jr. High meet. Yesterday at a high school Regional Qualifiers meet at Elmer Gray Stadium at ACU, he ran unattached with the HS regional qualifiers and finished 2nd at 2:01. His last name is Muniz. You might want to remember that name if you are a track fan. The national record for a 13 yr old is 2:03 something if I remember my Celina friend's post correctly.:clap: :clap:

STANG RED
04-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
2 or 3 weeks ago I posted about a 7th grade boy from Craig Middle School in Abilene who had run a 2:05 800m in a local Jr. High meet. Yesterday at a high school Regional Qualifiers meet at Elmer Gray Stadium at ACU, he ran unattached with the HS regional qualifiers and finished 2nd at 2:01. His last name is Muniz. You might want to remember that name if you are a track fan. The national record for a 13 yr old is 2:03 something if I remember my Celina friend's post correctly.:clap: :clap:

Thats incredible!

I guess this means the new record is 2:01, if the former info was correct. Being a regional qualifier, I would assume the time should be a sanctioned time, shouldnt it?

pirate4state
04-19-2008, 10:00 AM
That's awesome. Good for him!! :)

LH Panther Mom
04-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Nice job! :clap: :clap:

Here are the record holders according to USATF, which of course would be records for kids participating in their competitions.

800 m 1:56.36 Cody Harper Sacramento, CA 2001-Jul-28 (Youth record: year of birth 1994/1995)

800 m 2:07.21 Reginald Warren Sacramento, CA 2001-Jul-26 (Midget record: year of birth 1996/1997)

http://www.usatf.org/groups/Youth/

BobcatBenny
04-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Now, I am impressed. :clap:

That is now getting into phenom class.

What was the winning time for the race?

nobogey72
04-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Now, I am impressed. :clap:

That is now getting into phenom class.

What was the winning time for the race?

The winning time was 1:59. Not that great especially for this time of year. This seems to be a strange year for HS track around here. I haven't seen any times or heighths or distances that are all that great. Usually by now you see something that gets your attention.

Old Tiger
04-19-2008, 11:01 PM
The winning time was 1:59. Not that great especially for this time of year. This seems to be a strange year for HS track around here. I haven't seen any times or heighths or distances that are all that great. Usually by now you see something that gets your attention. You live in West Texas, right? ;):devil:

nobogey72
04-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
You live in West Texas, right? ;):devil:

I knew that was coming. But, even for "around here" there just doesn't be the performances this year as their has been in the past. And you are right, I'm sure there are lots of good performances in the other (more talented :ack!: :ack!: parts of the state), but all our crappy newspaper posts is "best times of the Big Country".

BTW- Go Blue, I'll bet our 7th grade halfmiler can beat Rockdale's.:D :taunt:

g$$
04-20-2008, 08:00 AM

Good for him & all the best in the future.

Reminds me of a kid named Leonel Manzano from Marble Falls & now an AA (many times) at Texas. He has been a phenom since a young age. He may make the Olympic team soon too, & he is a US citizen. Distance guy but world class in the mile.

Sweetwater Red
04-20-2008, 01:15 PM

If the kid's in Craig middle school, which high school will he go
to?

injuredinmelee
04-20-2008, 01:21 PM
AHS I believe.

nobogey72
04-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
If the kid's in Craig middle school, which high school will he go
to?

AHS is where he will go as of right now. However, my people are on it and will report back as soon as we get him moved into the Wylie district.:D :lies:

STANG RED
04-21-2008, 02:14 PM
AHS is where he will go as of right now. However, my people are on it and will report back as soon as we get him moved into the Wylie district.:D :lies:

Yeah, I hear the kids dad has been offered a job at WHS watching the artificial grass grow for $150K a year.:mad: :p

Sweetwater Red
04-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Yeah, I hear the kids dad has been offered a job at WHS watching the artificial grass grow for $150K a year.:mad: :p

:clap: :D :clap:

jlg043
04-21-2008, 03:06 PM
That is awesome... That kid has a bright future ahead of him!

injuredinmelee
04-21-2008, 04:11 PM

Get us a Vince Young Type QB while your at it.

waterboy
04-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Yeah. That job ain't all it's cut out to be. I can barely survive on $165K a year watching the artificial grass grow in Gilmer. It wouldn't grow so I fertilized it.........not smart! It still didn't grow........but the kids kept complaining about their hair growing faster than usual after playing on it.:thinking: :doh: I don't know whether that had anything to do with it but........I wasn't about to tell 'em.:D

slingshot
04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
You live in West Texas, right? ;):devil: Yeah, you're right--Gary Edwards and Skye Green were really slow last year in the 200 and 100 meters respectively... absolutely embarrased at the state meet by those fast East Texas kids, Huh?

PHS Wildcats
04-21-2008, 09:01 PM
impressive:clap: