PDA

View Full Version : Texas baseball creates A & B team late in year...

g$$
04-19-2008, 02:36 AM
http://texas.scout.com/2/747718.html

Very unusual & uncharacteristically down year for Texas baseball, & a very surprising move at this late point in season. Augie obviously knows what he's doing, but there must be a lot going on behind the scenes to do this now. Rumor is Augie may head back to the West Coast after the season anyway, but I won't believe it until it happens.

Anyone know exactly who was relegated to the B Team? I can name a few (process of elimination) but wondering if anyone has complete list?

Hard times call for desperate measures it seems for the Horns...8-8 in conference after Friday night's 2-1 loss to Ok State in 11 innings @ Austin (error allowed run to score, now 59 errors on year).

(NOTE: This link was posted in an open forum, so I don't think pay site rules apply. My apologies if I accidentally broke a rule & if so, please remove. I just found it newsworthy considering the timing, etc. & storied tradition of Texas baseball.)

Gobbler Fan
04-19-2008, 09:14 AM
After the UTA loss Wednesday, Garrido asked himself: “What can we do to turn this thing around?”

Post-game, Garrido unveiled his solution to the problem. His ultimate answer was that he needed to take a drastic step to develop a cohesive “nucleus” for the team.

His solution? Garrido sat down with four team “representatives” (leaders) and, as a group, they assessed each player on the roster. In the end, the team representatives and Coach Garrido came out with a mutually agreed list of 24 players that would continue suiting up. The others would be on the “B” team.

Garrido stressed the fact that these were not team cuts, but rather a strategy to identify and create a more cohesive team core. Those on the B list are still entitled everything that comes with being a University of Texas baseball player: work out equipment, doctors, team meals, etc.

Coach Garrido met with the team at 3:15 today and revealed the list and strategy to his players (Skip Johnson took care of the pitchers). The A team suited up, the B team didn’t. Garrido expressed that it was not his place to go into the reactions of his players or explain which list players were on.

Garrido also stressed the fact that this was a joint decision between him and the four team reps, and the players currently being asked not to suit up can be reevaluated at team practices and be asked to suit back up. Realistically, there won’t be time for a practice in the near future so reevaluation may be more of an idea than a possibility.

“Tonight was a new beginning,” said Garrido. “We need a new beginning to get this rough patch behind us”

The Horns try again against OSU Saturday. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.

Players who were left off this weekend's roster were outfielders Runey Davis and Ben Kaplan, catchers Todd Gilfillan and Erik Woody, infielder Bobby Buckner and pitchers Casey Whitmer, Marcus Tackett, Hunter Hill, Hunter Harris, Kyle Walker, Juston Street, Garrett Clyde and Lee Johnson.

You can find out pretty much whats happening at hornsfans.com

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=baseball&Number=5547241&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

g$$
04-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Augie is pulling out all the stops in an attempt to save a disappointing season. Strange deal all around.

This will either bring the team closer together OR tear the team's chemistry apart altogether. No middle ground. Will be interesting to watch. I do feel for the guys not allowed to even suit up at home, they work hard everyday & thru the offseason too. 27 man active roster in conference & 25 for NCAA Regionals, etc. but not even allowed to suit up at home? Something is going on behind the scenes.

Pitching coach Skip Johnson seems to be on the hot seat too...

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/04/19/0419texbase.html

Gobbla2001
04-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Something is going on behind the scenes.

seems to me this is just about winning games?

g$$
04-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
seems to me this is just about winning games?

Just a very unusual move in late April & 2/3 of the way thru conference play. Augie is a great coach, but just a strange move with the timing. Texas is down this year by their standards & he is trying something to change it up.

Gobbla2001
04-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Texas is down this year by their standards & he is trying something to change it up.

yup, and I think that's about it, nothing more...

Emerson1
04-19-2008, 04:55 PM
yup, and I think that's about it, nothing more...
He is just looking for an argument so he can cry to the mods about someone bashing a&m.

g$$
04-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He is just looking for an argument so he can cry to the mods about someone bashing a&m.

Hey hoss, if you are looking for a fight then you are about to find one. Stay on topic or shut your mouth. I am not picking a fight with anyone, maybe you are. Thread was about a relevant matter involving an unusual move by Augie Garrido in late April.

I call it like it is. Deal with it. I will call out A&M when deserved & have done so. Stick to something you know (??). Got it?

And I don't cry to anyone about A&M or any other thing. A thread about 2 years ago got personal & the mods handled it. Obviously you have no clue.

sinton66
04-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by g$$
http://texas.scout.com/2/747718.html

Very unusual & uncharacteristically down year for Texas baseball, & a very surprising move at this late point in season. Augie obviously knows what he's doing, but there must be a lot going on behind the scenes to do this now. Rumor is Augie may head back to the West Coast after the season anyway, but I won't believe it until it happens.

Anyone know exactly who was relegated to the B Team? I can name a few (process of elimination) but wondering if anyone has complete list?

Hard times call for desperate measures it seems for the Horns...8-8 in conference after Friday night's 2-1 loss to Ok State in 11 innings @ Austin (error allowed run to score, now 59 errors on year).

(NOTE: This link was posted in an open forum, so I don't think pay site rules apply. My apologies if I accidentally broke a rule & if so, please remove. I just found it newsworthy considering the timing, etc. & storied tradition of Texas baseball.)

Site rules always apply, however, you didn't copy and paste the actual article, you gave your own interpretation and posted a link to the story. That's a good example of what we want our posters to do. YOUR content here is your own wording, not a copy of theirs.

Emerson1
04-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Hey hoss, if you are looking for a fight then you are about to find one. Stay on topic or shut your mouth. I am not picking a fight with anyone, maybe you are. Thread was about a relevant matter involving an unusual move by Augie Garrido in late April.

I call it like it is. Deal with it. I will call out A&M when deserved & have done so. Stick to something you know (??). Got it?

And I don't cry to anyone about A&M or any other thing. A thread about 2 years ago got personal & the mods handled it. Obviously you have no clue.
You made this thread to point out Texas is down in baseball and to bash them for it. You just tried to disguise it

I call it like I see it to, if I think a team sucks I am going to say they suck. If you don't like it, cry about it, o wait you already have.

g$$
04-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
You made this thread to point out Texas is down in baseball and to bash them for it. You just tried to disguise it

I call it like I see it to, if I think a team sucks I am going to say they suck. If you don't like it, cry about it, o wait you already have.

You're a joke & certainly not a mind reader, & sure not worth my time. Not gonna take your bait. Thread was about an objective topic, but you wouldn't know the difference anyway. Texas' record says they are down & nothing I say can add to that. Thanks for the compliment though. Defensive much?

All the "changes" are really working: Texas lost again Sat. 8-7 to OK State @ Austin. Blew a late 7-4 lead, now 8-9 in conference & fading fast.

g$$
04-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Site rules always apply, however, you didn't copy and paste the actual article, you gave your own interpretation and posted a link to the story. That's a good example of what we want our posters to do. YOUR content here is your own wording, not a copy of theirs.

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

injuredinmelee
04-19-2008, 05:38 PM
another Ut thread started by the lead site aggie. Happens alot. Cant praise his own team but comes in wanting to discuss the BIG university in the state.

g$$
04-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
another Ut thread started by the lead site aggie. Happens alot. Cant praise his own team but comes in wanting to discuss the BIG university in the state.

My team is winning the Big 12 in both baseball (#8) & softball (#5). Ranked #1 in men's track & top 5 in women's. Should I go on? Is that praise enough for you?

Texas & Texas A&M are BOTH the flagship universities in our state. Check the enrollments, endowments, academic standards, athletics, alumni, etc. In fact, A&M was created in 1876 & UT in 1883.

Again, defensive much? Thread was about changes at UT in baseball. If a similar thing happened at A&M, I would have posted the same thing. Some of you have spun it in a whole different direction. But I understand that happens when the facts are against you.

Gobbla2001
04-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by g$$
In fact, A&M was created in 1876 & UT in 1883.

reminds me of deleware... the first state, could have whatever they wanted and they picked a stretch of land the size of a parking lot...

coulda been UT but picked A&M :doh:

g$$
04-19-2008, 05:57 PM
reminds me of deleware... the first state, could have whatever they wanted and they picked a stretch of land the size of a parking lot...

coulda been UT but picked A&M :doh:

Huh? Last ime I checked A&M stands on its own merit, as does Texas. Both are fine schools. Not sure how DELAWARE relates to any of that. Facts are facts. The schools were founded by the legislature to specialize in different curriculum, thus the names.

injuredinmelee
04-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by g$$
My team is winning the Big 12 in both baseball (#8) & softball (#5). Ranked #1 in men's track & top 5 in women's. Should I go on? Is that praise enough for you?

Texas & Texas A&M are BOTH the flagship universities in our state. Check the enrollments, endowments, academic standards, athletics, alumni, etc. In fact, A&M was created in 1876 & UT in 1883.

Again, defensive much? Thread was about changes at UT in baseball. If a similar thing happened at A&M, I would have posted the same thing. Some of you have spun it in a whole different direction. But I understand that happens when the facts are against you.

its all after the fact. It doesnt count now. You have to admit you start a lot of threads that talk about UT or try to stir the pot on who is better ya ya

g$$
04-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
its all after the fact. It doesnt count now. You have to admit you start a lot of threads that talk about UT or try to stir the pot on who is better ya ya

I deal in facts, now & anytime in the past. Some people don't like the truth. Check all you want.

This wasn't a thread on my school is better than your school garbage. It was about UT baseball & strange changes in late April. And newsworthy too.

pirate4state
04-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by g$$
This wasn't a thread on my school is better than your school garbage. It was about UT baseball & strange changes in late April. And newsworthy too.

Very strange. As a t-shirt fan, my loyalty to UT is no more. (haha). What I mean, is Adrian has graduated and that was really the only reason I followed UT baseball. It's sad that such a great program is struggling, but it happens to everyone at some point.

I can't say that I like the news, but I agree that it is newsworthy.

Having said that, it is quite clear that YOU, g$$, are NOT allowed to start a topic about UT. What's wrong with you? Don't you know that only UT supporters can start a thread about any positive or perceived negative news? Get with the program Dude.

emerson & injured who made you the okay to post UT news police? :rolleyes:

Your responses are exactly why I and the other mods don't want any kind of UT/A&M discussions! We have enough of that crap on HS sports then to have to fool around with college sports!

So, since you two can't discuss the TOPIC at hand, you can just sit the bench. :) And if you don't like it send me a nice little PM and tell me all about why you don't.

Have a good night!

g$$
04-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Very strange. As a t-shirt fan, my loyalty to UT is no more. (haha). What I mean, is Adrian has graduated and that was really the only reason I followed UT baseball. It's sad that such a great program is struggling, but it happens to everyone at some point.

Having said that, it is quite clear that YOU, g$$, are NOT allowed to start a topic about UT. What's wrong with you? Don't you know that only UT supporters can start a thread about any positive or perceived negative news? Get with the program Dude.

Your responses are exactly why I and the other mods don't want any kind of UT/A&M discussions! We have enough of that crap on HS sports then to have to fool around with college sports!

So, since you two can't discuss the TOPIC at hand, you can just sit the bench. :) And if you don't like it send me a nice little PM and tell me all about why you don't.

Have a good night!

You go girl. :)

lostaussie
04-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Have a good night! mmmmmm..............I like it when you are rough baby:D

HippoBaseball05
04-19-2008, 09:58 PM
t.u. actually fell to 8-9 in conference play.

Six full games behind leader A&M.

Txbroadcaster
04-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05

Why is Tulane worried about A&M being 6 games in front of them?

Bull Butter
04-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Why is Tulane worried about A&M being 6 games in front of them?

Probably because they are 27-11 and have a better chance at overtaking A&M than Texas does.:)

Panther One
04-20-2008, 12:49 AM
It took three posts for a Texas fan to take a jab at the Aggies in the spring game thread. It works both ways...

Personally, I don't agree with the move. Texas isn't playing well right now and hit a low point in last week's loss to Missouri, but this seems like a knee jerk reaction that doesn't make a lot of sense. I just don't see the benefit of relegating guys to a B team. Eliminating those guys isn't going to fix the problems that have been hurting the Horns this year. I'm sure Augie has his reasons, though. Just like he had his reasons for pinch hitting for his leading hitter (Rupp) in the 9th inning of a tied ballgame with a guy who was 2 for 11 on the season. That guy struck out, by the way.

There's some weird stuff going on with the UT baseball program right now. I think there's more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, and I'd expect a shake up after the season on the coaching staff and a good amount of turnover on the team. It'll be interesting to see how many of the B teamers are suiting up for the Horns next year.

buff4life
04-20-2008, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by sinton66

about that rule...in a say research paper or other type of report...a said person is pretty much allowed to copy the work if he gives credit to the author by quoting the copied works and putting a bibliography of where it came from...why doesn't that apply here?....not whining about it, just wondering

g$$
04-20-2008, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by g$$
All the "changes" are really working: Texas lost again Sat. 8-7 to OK State @ Austin. Blew a late 7-4 lead, now 8-9 in conference & fading fast.

Sure did Hippo...

g$$
04-20-2008, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
It took three posts for a Texas fan to take a jab at the Aggies in the spring game thread. It works both ways...

Personally, I don't agree with the move. Texas isn't playing well right now and hit a low point in last week's loss to Missouri, but this seems like a knee jerk reaction that doesn't make a lot of sense. I just don't see the benefit of relegating guys to a B team. Eliminating those guys isn't going to fix the problems that have been hurting the Horns this year. I'm sure Augie has his reasons, though. Just like he had his reasons for pinch hitting for his leading hitter (Rupp) in the 9th inning of a tied ballgame with a guy who was 2 for 11 on the season. That guy struck out, by the way.

There's some weird stuff going on with the UT baseball program right now. I think there's more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, and I'd expect a shake up after the season on the coaching staff and a good amount of turnover on the team. It'll be interesting to see how many of the B teamers are suiting up for the Horns next year.

Agree completely, which is what I was trying to say about behind the scenes stuff. Most of the now B teamers are not the reason for the 8-9 Big 12 on-field record. Augie is risking dividing the team even further. Pitching coach Skip Johnson is in deep trouble, period. Augie has made some questionable moves lately, & yes I know what his overall coaching record is too. Letting Pai hit for Rupp was just crazy, & he pinch hit for senior Clark who homered in previous AB (wanted righty/lefty match-up). Then, with 2 outs in 9th, he allowed light-hitting Lusson to bat. Just a lot of crazy stuff going on in Austin & then the A/B team thing. Absolutely a tradition-rich program but having a hard time this year, in fact lately after losing previous 2 Regionals they hosted (won 2002 & 2005 NC before that). Augie will probably clean house like he did after arriving at Texas in mid 1990s, or he may go back to the West Coast.

I also expect softball coach Connie Clark to be gone soon too. She could not win it all with fabulous pitcher Cat Osterman & has been very mediocre without her. That says it all.

g$$
04-20-2008, 04:54 PM

It keeps getting stranger for Texas. Texas just doesn't get swept in Austin (very often) in their storied history, but it just happened. OK State fell behind 8-2 & fought back to win 13-10 on Sunday. Rebel Ridling had a huge day at the plate for the Cowboys w/ 2 HRs & a triple, bunch of RBIs. I watched it on Fox College Sports.

Texas used 7 pitchers I believe & committed 3 errors. Augie went so far as to use Chance Ruffin in the fateful 8th, after he pitched 10 innings Friday night (& around 100 pitches). Think any pro scouts will bring that up to draftees? That is very Cliff Gustafson-like & was a sore spot for many in baseball in overusing & hurting pitchers' arms (EX: Kirk Dressendorfer). Augie has never been known for this. Poor guy had nothing left & got knocked around pretty good. Ruffin is the son of former Horn/MLB pitcher Bruce Ruffin & a fine freshman pitcher.

FYI: Yoakum product Riley Boening (shoulder surgery last year) pitched 1 inning +. He looked ok but not the same as when I watched him in hs/select ball when he was a national recruit & dominant. Hope he can get it back. Velocity was down & arm slot has changed, could not command the zone (2 walks) & reluctant to throw breaking ball. He is still working his way back from labrum surgery so it may take some time. His hs teammate, Travis Starling, is doing great as A&M's closer & has an ERA in the 2.4 range w/ a 5-0 record & 8 saves (even after rough outing Sun. raised ERA). Yoakum had a pretty good squad huh?

Texas falls to 8-10 in Big 12 play & 23-16 overall. OK State is a solid team but Texas has big-time troubles right now. There will be offseason changes in Austin, bank on it (asst. coaches, transfers, etc.).

Gobbla2001
04-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yoakum had a pretty good squad huh?

heck yah... Pitcher High for a while there... Ryan Wagner graduated in '01, went on to pitch for U of H and is now pitching for the Washington Nationals (I believe). He was a heckuva a player to watch throw in HS... Also had Randy Boone as well (UT) and one other that I forget... luckily they've laid off a bit and we can win district now...

sinton66
04-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
about that rule...in a say research paper or other type of report...a said person is pretty much allowed to copy the work if he gives credit to the author by quoting the copied works and putting a bibliography of where it came from...why doesn't that apply here?....not whining about it, just wondering

We're more into original thought and content here. Copy and paste doesn't take much intelligence, and it doesn't give credit to the original author. We would rather a poster give their own interpretation about what was written and provide a link to the original story. Then too, if the original content is from a premium section of a site, the poster here would probably be in violation of copyright. If we allow it, so would we.

g$$
04-20-2008, 05:46 PM
heck yah... Pitcher High for a while there... Ryan Wagner graduated in '01, went on to pitch for U of H and is now pitching for the Washington Nationals (I believe). He was a heckuva a player to watch throw in HS... Also had Randy Boone as well (UT) and one other that I forget... luckily they've laid off a bit and we can win district now...

Oh yeah, I watched all those guys play. Yoakum beat Sweeny (my nephew's team) 2 straight years, 3 rounds deep in playoffs. Stable of arms came thru there. Well-coached team too. Surprisingly, they never won state though with all the good teams in 3A (Sinton, others). Lost at State one year. Funny game sometimes. Glad all are doing well. Wagner has bounced around from Cincy to WASH. Hope he finds it again.

3A had some big-time arms during that time:
Bailey
Alaniz
Wagner
Boone
Boening
Starling
Williams
Minks
Howard
Musick
Belt
Angelle
kid from Huffman
Janca (sp) from Columbus
etc.

JasperDog94
04-20-2008, 07:25 PM
t.u. lame...:rolleyes:

g$$
04-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
lame...:rolleyes:

So is Aggy, Aggot, & other idiot names from the other side...goes both ways.

JasperDog94
04-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by g$$
So is Aggy, Aggot, & other idiot names from the other side...goes both ways. Never said that it didn't.

g$$
04-23-2008, 01:22 AM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/04/21/0421bohls.html

Kirk Bohls' interesting take on Texas baseball & their problems this year...good read from the AAS.

Texas beat Baylor Tuesday night 8-2 on CSTV (does not count in Big 12 standings, they will play a series later). Good for RPI, SOS, etc. Baylor & A&M are doing this next year too btw. Welcome to college baseball's condensed season & often 5-6 games per week.