PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Miguel Tejada! Happy Birthday Miguel Tejada!

kepdawg
04-17-2008, 04:20 PM
LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3351418)

BuffyMars
04-17-2008, 04:23 PM
its sad people have to lie about it. :dispntd:

pirate4state
04-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Wasn't Danny Almonte from the Dominican too? What's with those people and lying about their age? :thinking:

Crazy

Bull's-eye
04-17-2008, 04:52 PM
The Astros may be able void his contract. :thinking:

g$$
04-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
The Astros may be able void his contract. :thinking:

That is a common practice in the Latin countries. They lie to give themselves leverage in signing contracts & escaping poverty. Tejada grew up with no electricity or running water. I'm not condoning it but nobody in baseball is surprised. Most teams add 2 years to "age" from the start anyway.

Contract will not be voided. Non-story & move on.

Txbroadcaster
04-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by g$$
That is a common practice in the Latin countries. They lie to give themselves leverage in signing contracts & escaping poverty. Tejada grew up with no electricity or running water. I'm not condoning it but nobody in baseball is surprised. Most teams add 2 years to "age" from the start anyway.

Contract will not be voided. Non-story & move on.

But this was not an add, but a subtraction..and it probably is a non-story to an extent...But signing trading for a 31 yr old means giving up more than trading for A 33 YR OLD

g$$
04-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
But this was not an add, but a subtraction..and it probably is a non-story to an extent...But signing trading for a 31 yr old means giving up more than trading for A 33 YR OLD

You ADD years from the start, meaning people in baseball don't trust the original #. Only now is the media jumping on this & SUBTRACTING 2 years. It's a non-story, I have sat in meetings when Latin players are discussed. They don't have the sophistication of birth certificates, etc. like we do many times & the prospects lie about their age for leverage of being younger. It happens all the time & only rarely makes the news.

The Astros would have done the deal anyway. Good luck proving the Orioles knew (even though they probably did). Tough to prove.

zebrablue2
04-17-2008, 07:03 PM
he is only under contract through 2009, so what the heck..

Bull's-eye
04-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
he is only under contract through 2009, so what the heck..

Wow, we gave up all those prospects and we only signed him for 2 years.

g$$
04-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Wow, we gave up all those prospects and we only signed him for 2 years.

We didn't sign him, we traded for him & took on existing contract.

Troy Patton = shoulder surgery
Matt Albers = doing well so far, good arm
Dennis Sarfate = bullpen power arm, wish we had him
Luke Scott = doing well so far, but fell out of favor in Houston for chronic injuries
Mike Costanzo = back in minors for BALT

Tejada is playing well, glad we have him. As they said on SC & I said above, this used to be very common. 9/11 changed this a lot because of Immigration Laws. Harder to get work visas now. Tejada is not the Lone Ranger on this deal. It's not that big of a deal in the long run. He has bigger problems with the Feds & PEDs scandal/lying previously.

Bull's-eye
04-18-2008, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by g$$
We didn't sign him, we traded for him & took on existing contract.

Yes, I knew that, but seems like the Astros would of have extended his contract or had Baltimore re-work his contract before completing the trade. Getting Tejada for only 2 years sounds like the Astros thought they were close to being a contender.