PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best athlete you played against in High School?

trojan37
04-16-2008, 09:40 PM
For me it would have to be Winfred Tubbs, LB/RB from Fairfield. He was an absolute nightmare on both sides of the field.

Matthew328
04-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Kenyon Martin, Dallas Bryan Adams...

if it was football I didn't play football but it had to be LaDainian Tomlinson from Waco University

rockdale80
04-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Kenyon Martin, Dallas Bryan Adams...

if it was football I didn't play football but it had to be LaDainian Tomlinson from Waco University

Matt Tressel-UT
Taureen Henderson-TT

There were more that played on Saturday's but those are the two that stand out the most.

FutureAD
04-16-2008, 10:25 PM
does being on the sidelines for playoffs when sinton played burnet and shipley and mcghee played count?:D

GreenMonster
04-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Football- Kris Brown (Texans kicker)

Baseball- Kerry Wood

coach
04-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
For me it would have to be Winfred Tubbs, LB/RB from Fairfield. He was an absolute nightmare on both sides of the field.

great player too bad u never played against tony brackens

Chopblock
04-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Eric Martin Van Vleck, LSU New Orleans Sanits
Thomas Sanders Giddings, Texas A&M, Chicago Bears, Eagles
Ervin Randle Hearne, Baylor, Tampa Bay

Fal44
04-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Carlo Dominguez, Won MVP in football, 1st all district basketball player ( saw him dunk it), was good in track... and made the Texas high school all-star game as a punter...

coach
04-16-2008, 11:00 PM
i played against jeremy sanders, brodie green, denario alexander, and thats all i can think of right now

trojan37
04-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Chopblock

What year did you graduate? I believe I watched Eric Martin with Van Vleck in 80-81 when they played West in the semi's at Kyle Field. Does that sound right?

trojan37
04-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by coach
great player too bad u never played against tony brackens

He wasn't on varsity during Tubbs senior season? I did play against that other kid from Fairfield that went to Baylor, his last name was Leaks.

bandera7
04-16-2008, 11:25 PM
In any sport, probably Denver Williams, Keeper from Boerne High School. Kid beat out a senior captain for a starting position at Colorado School of the Mines as a freshman, and he now starts (still a freshman). Pat Vancura, Midfield, from Dripping Springs stands out as well.

For football, Buck Burnett? Its close.

In 7 on 7, we played Diboll...that kid related to Javorskie was an animal. We also played and whooped Rice Consolidated with their Miami bound quarterback...and we got beat by Celina who I believe had D'Anton Lynn.

Sophomore year we played Heights with Vizza at quarterback. He was good.

coach
04-17-2008, 12:07 AM
He wasn't on varsity during Tubbs senior season? I did play against that other kid from Fairfield that went to Baylor, his last name was Leaks.

lewis cheeks..thats my best friends uncle...and was my uncles best friend lol..he went on to play for a&m and played for the cowboys, dolphins, and green bay but landed into some trouble with steroids...

coach
04-17-2008, 12:08 AM
or are you talking bout someone else

g$$
04-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Basketball = Shaquille O'Neal (SA Cole, in Kerrville Tourney)

Baseball = Mike McGuire (3-time All-State & HS All American @ Sweeny, signed with UT but drafted highly by Seattle & played with Ken Griffey Jr. in Rookie Ball; arm injury ended pitching career but should have gone as RF/1B anyway)
**only played against Mike in practice scrimmages & summer ball, etc. but he was far better than anyone I actually played against in hs or junior college baseball; unbelievable talent

Football = Wayne Williams (WC/LSU/NY Jets) & Robert Strait (Cuero/Baylor)

g$$
04-17-2008, 12:27 AM

Good list. Eric Martin was a good one, & brother Andre could play too. VV had a bunch of athletes for many years (Martins, Blackmons, Bonners, Polk, etc.)

trojan37
04-17-2008, 12:43 AM
or are you talking bout someone else

This kids last name was Leaks, and he went on to play for Baylor. He was the nephew of Roosevelt Leaks I believe.

eagles_victory
04-17-2008, 01:35 AM
lewis cheeks..thats my best friends uncle...and was my uncles best friend lol..he went on to play for a&m and played for the cowboys, dolphins, and green bay but landed into some trouble with steroids... Your off by like 10 or 15 years. Cheeks played in the 70's Leaks and Tubbs played in the late 80's. Cheeks played for A&M anyway not Baylor. This Leaks guy whos first name escapes me for some reason went to Baylor but didnt do a whole lot I dont think.

Tony had to be on the 89 team as a sophmore.

trojan37
04-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Your off by like 10 or 15 years. Cheeks played in the 70's Leaks and Tubbs played in the late 80's. Cheeks played for A&M anyway not Baylor. This Leaks guy whos first name escapes me for some reason went to Baylor but didnt do a whole lot I dont think.

Tony had to be on the 89 team as a sophmore.

All I know is Tubbs was one bad dude. He would knock your head off if he got the chance. I loved to watch him at UT. Last time I saw him on t.v. was in a 49'ers uniform.

eagles_victory
04-17-2008, 01:45 AM
All I know is Tubbs was one bad dude. He would knock your head off if he got the chance. I loved to watch him at UT. Last time I saw him on t.v. was in a 49'ers uniform. He did some tv work for FSN college football a few years back. He finished his career with the 49ers in like 01 I think after playing like 8 years or something. When his jersey got retired they said what he was doing now but I cant remember what it was. I think it is something in the bussiness world if I remember correctly. A lot more people talk Tony Brackens in Fairfield then they do Tubbs though. From what I have heard Brackens was a more dominant hs player.

navscanmaster
04-17-2008, 04:20 AM
Here's one you probably never heard of..:D

Mark Wilson, RB/LB Waller High. Only played against him in Junior High, but he was a 3 1/2 year letterman for Waller. One tough, hard playing athlete. I don't remember what he did after high school, if anything.

trojan37
04-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
He did some tv work for FSN college football a few years back. He finished his career with the 49ers in like 01 I think after playing like 8 years or something. When his jersey got retired they said what he was doing now but I cant remember what it was. I think it is something in the bussiness world if I remember correctly. A lot more people talk Tony Brackens in Fairfield then they do Tubbs though. From what I have heard Brackens was a more dominant hs player.

What was scary about Tubbs in high school was he was just a big fellow, and a vicious hitter at LB. Then you go on defense and se him lined up at tailback!:1omg!:

IHStangFan
04-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Used to have to long jump against Toya Jones. Our football team had to deal w/ Dat Nyguen as he went to Rockport HS and they were in our district back then.

ej2525
04-17-2008, 08:22 AM
I played against Lance Berkman & Jose' Cruz Jr. in college.

LH810
04-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Im sure Navasota players think Dustin Gonzales becuase he did have over 300 rushing yards at halftime :devil:

c-town_balla
04-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Jermy Kerley
Derek Grant
Andrew Wolridge
Brock Fritzhenry

kaorder1999
04-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Keith Davis- Italy

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by LH810
Im sure Navasota players think Dustin Gonzales becuase he did have over 300 rushing yards at halftime :devil:
LMAO! Nice sig.... :devil:

TMer25
04-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Clint Finley from Cuero

TMer25
04-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Good list. Eric Martin was a good one, & brother Andre could play too. VV had a bunch of athletes for many years (Martins, Blackmons, Bonners, Polk, etc.)

Eric Martin's cousin Charles Austin who was the 1996 gold medalist and current American record holder in the high jump was also from Van Vleck.

District303aPastPlayer
04-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Used to have to long jump against Toya Jones. Our football team had to deal w/ Dat Nyguen as he went to Rockport HS and they were in our district back then.

That sucks... I saw a kid named Justin Youngblood from Goliad HJ in HS at the district meet, kid got up around 6'8 and was jumping alone...
Can't think of anyone off hand...

injuredinmelee
04-17-2008, 09:13 AM
At Wichita Falls High school i was a teammate of one of the best all around athletes, Jayson Lavendar.
Was a good football player but an all american Pole Vaulter. he originally went to Kansas to vault but they wouldnt allow him to play football also so he transeferred to Texas Tech.

He is now coaching at Garland I believe it is. Passing Game coordinator.

Txbroadcaster
04-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Bobby Taylor who played for the Philly Eagles from Longview

Chris Carter who played at UT from John Tyler

hmmm lets see

Played agianst Josh Booty in Summer Baseball

BuffyMars
04-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Bobby Taylor who played for the Philly Eagles from Longview

Chris Carter who played at UT from John Tyler

hmmm lets see

Played agianst Josh Booty in Summer Baseball

oh come on! don't be modest! you know you were y.a. tittle's right hand man. :tongue:

Txbroadcaster
04-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
oh come on! don't be modest! you know you were y.a. tittle's right hand man. :tongue:

Ok that is just wrong..I was a freshman when Tittle was a SR :D :p

BuffyMars
04-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Ok that is just wrong..I was a freshman when Tittle was a SR :D :p

so what was james marshall like?

i digress....sorry stay on topic. pardon me. :doh:

Txbroadcaster
04-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
so what was james marshall like?

i digress....sorry stay on topic. pardon me. :doh:

SHADDUP

But Moses was pretty cool in Jr High

44INAROW
04-17-2008, 09:54 AM
my oldest son played against Dat in 8th grade - said Dat packed quite the punch and he knew 1st hand how hard he hit :eek: ;)

Originally posted by g$$
Robert Strait (Cuero/Baylor)

saw Robert at HEB this past weekend - he looked healthy - I was happy to see that :)

pirate4state
04-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by FutureAD
does being on the sidelines for playoffs when sinton played burnet and shipley and mcghee played count?:D what were you a fish or soph? remember when Gabriel laid Shipley out?!!? :eek: :eek: wow...

My brother played against Dat in 7th & 8th grade (oh wait, that's not hs ;) )

XMan
04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Arthur Rhodes, pitcher from LaVega and Rodney Pedraza, pitcher from Cuero high.

Chopblock
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
What year did you graduate? I believe I watched Eric Martin with Van Vleck in 80-81 when they played West in the semi's at Kyle Field. Does that sound right?
1981, we lost to them 21-7. we were in the red zone 7 times and fumbled 6 of them. saw them lose to Pittsburg
Eric ran 76 yards on a touch down, I had his left shoe in my hand for the whole run

Ervin Randle was a Fullback at that time, mave have been the hardest I was ever hit when he came through the line, He gained a yard, but dadgum he could hit

g$$
04-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
Eric Martin's cousin Charles Austin who was the 1996 gold medalist and current American record holder in the high jump was also from Van Vleck.

You are correct. Austin has a street named after in San Marcos too. You will often see Bay City listed as hometown but he's a VV boy. VV had a stable of athletes for a long time. I played against those guys/cousins back in the day. Austin did not play football to my recollection though. Track star obviously.

Emerson1
04-17-2008, 05:07 PM
I played against Dallas Christian in my first ever football game, they went on to lose state this year

They won 44-0 so I am sure they had some good athletes lol

IHStangFan
04-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
That sucks... I saw a kid named Justin Youngblood from Goliad HJ in HS at the district meet, kid got up around 6'8 and was jumping alone...
Can't think of anyone off hand... Heck yeah...Toya would just "pass" till his last jump....he'd take off his sweats...jump 25 feet, and be done with it, LOL. I could MAYBE get 20 on a good day....scratch that...a GREAT day. I remember the Youngblood kid....think he was a little after my time...but didn't he go to like TAMUK on a football/track scholarship or something like that? Him and Chad Smithy from AP?

lostaussie
04-17-2008, 07:19 PM
1981, we lost to them 21-7. we were in the red zone 7 times and fumbled 6 of them. saw them lose to Pittsburg
Eric ran 76 yards on a touch down, I had his left shoe in my hand for the whole run

Ervin Randle was a Fullback at that time, mave have been the hardest I was ever hit when he came through the line, He gained a yard, but dadgum he could hit that was the 80-81 school year but the game was in 80. i also was at the VV/pitt game when ceter Danny Minor snapped the ball over the punters head for pitt and gave VV a safety. only points given up to a 3a school all year by pitt. they were almost as nasty as the 83 d'field team.

injuredinmelee
04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Heck yeah...Toya would just "pass" till his last jump....he'd take off his sweats...jump 25 feet, and be done with it, LOL. I could MAYBE get 20 on a good day....scratch that...a GREAT day. I remember the Youngblood kid....think he was a little after my time...but didn't he go to like TAMUK on a football/track scholarship or something like that? Him and Chad Smithy from AP?

I used to love3 watching John Lampert of Abilene Wylie long jump. Was a pretty good football player. Went to Purdue but saw mostly special teams play only. John could long jump over 15 feet but couldnt run and dunk a basketball. Could stand under the goal and go to town. Also one of the smartest and down to earth kids.

rockdale80
04-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Heck yeah...Toya would just "pass" till his last jump....he'd take off his sweats...jump 25 feet, and be done with it, LOL. I could MAYBE get 20 on a good day....scratch that...a GREAT day. I remember the Youngblood kid....think he was a little after my time...but didn't he go to like TAMUK on a football/track scholarship or something like that? Him and Chad Smithy from AP?

I know Justin Youngblood. He moved to Goliad from Rockdale.

Chopblock
04-17-2008, 09:46 PM
your right it was the 1980 season, crap how time and years fly

trojan37
04-17-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm glad West didn't have to play Pitt that year. Van Vleck beat us 31-7.

nobogey72
04-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I used to love3 watching John Lampert of Abilene Wylie long jump. Was a pretty good football player. Went to Purdue but saw mostly special teams play only. John could long jump over 15 feet but couldnt run and dunk a basketball. Could stand under the goal and go to town. Also one of the smartest and down to earth kids.

John was a specimen. I think you had a typo there Injured , on the long jumping 15'. John jumped 26'2" at the district meet in 02, and ran a 10.25 100m the same day. For a 6'2" 215 # kid, that's sick. Wylie took a track team of 3 including Lampert to the state track meet in 01 and won the state 3A meet. What's really sick is when he showed up at Purdue and was 3rd on the depth chart at SS and said the guys ahead of him were bigger and faster. Shows what kind of athlete it takes to actually make it.

DDBooger
04-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Derrick Foster La Marque (TAMUK)
Derrik Spiller La Marque (TAMU)
Roylin Bradley La Marque (TAMU)
Ran summer track against Toya Jones when i was 10
:D

HippoBaseball05
04-17-2008, 11:34 PM
I was huge into hoops in high school and even had an offer to play at a small Austin college.

One time though I faced off with a scoring machine from Liberty Hill. If I remember correctly his name was Phillip(?) Lennox.

Dude could flat out shoot the rock. I attended a small private school where fortunately I was the offense. Our coach was a student at St. Ed's at the time....maybe 22 years old at most.

Anyway the Lennox kid and I hooked up in a scoring duel that was a blast to participate in. I think he ended up with like 42 points and I ended up with 33. Needless to say they whooped us pretty good. Something like 30 points.

I saw recently that there was a Lennox kid playing for L.H. last year. Is that his son?

piratebg
04-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
what were you a fish or soph? remember when Gabriel laid Shipley out?!!? :eek: :eek: wow...

I think everyone there remembers that hit......and the fumble.

District303aPastPlayer
04-18-2008, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Derrick Foster La Marque (TAMUK)
Derrik Spiller La Marque (TAMU)
Roylin Bradley La Marque (TAMU)
Ran summer track against Toya Jones when i was 10
:D

Didn't Derrick Foster have some stat line like this...
6 Carries
300 Yards
3 TDs
at Tx State vs Calallen in like 96 or 97....

LH Panther Mom
04-18-2008, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05
I saw recently that there was a Lennox kid playing for L.H. last year. Is that his son?
No, possibly nephew. I know they're related, though.

Daddy D 11
04-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05
I was huge into hoops in high school and even had an offer to play at a small Austin college.

One time though I faced off with a scoring machine from Liberty Hill. If I remember correctly his name was Phillip(?) Lennox.

Dude could flat out shoot the rock. I attended a small private school where fortunately I was the offense. Our coach was a student at St. Ed's at the time....maybe 22 years old at most.

Anyway the Lennox kid and I hooked up in a scoring duel that was a blast to participate in. I think he ended up with like 42 points and I ended up with 33. Needless to say they whooped us pretty good. Something like 30 points.

im pretty sure its his son:thinking: They both could flat out ball, he coached me while i was plaing with Joey (His son) for about 2 years when i was younger.

LH Panther Mom
04-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
im pretty sure its his son:thinking: They both could flat out ball, he coached me while i was plaing with Joey (His son) for about 2 years when i was younger.
Nah....dad is Joe.

Daddy D 11
04-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Nah....dad is Joe.

okie dokie:)

LH Panther Mom
04-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
okie dokie:)
I had to check, since I never hear anyone call him by his first name. ;)

DDBooger
04-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Didn't Derrick Foster have some stat line like this...
6 Carries
300 Yards
3 TDs
at Tx State vs Calallen in like 96 or 97.... he had more carries, but yeah! lol that was 95 and that team for La Marque was quite possibly the best 4a team ever, they went on and creamed Denison like 38-7! gave up 68pts all year and we scored 21 of them. 32-21. That was a year after I graduated.

Super_R
04-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Michael Bishop. QB for football and Catcher for baseball.

He's from Willis, TX.

He Led Blinn to a 12-0 season and the NJCAA National Championship in Football. Then he QB'd for K-State and in 1998 won the Davey O'Brien Award. He's played for the Patriots and several other pro teams.

He was a hell of a catcher also He got drafted by the Indians.

GreenGobbla
04-18-2008, 10:20 AM
i played hs golf with jordan shipley.

trojan37
04-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Almost forgot, I also played against Clint dolezal, qb for the Dallas Desperados of the AFL, he was the qb at Robinson.

pirate4state
04-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
I think everyone there remembers that hit......and the fumble. you mean the phantom fumble ;)

kepdawg
04-18-2008, 10:33 AM
he had more carries, but yeah! lol that was 95 and that team for La Marque was quite possibly the best 4a team ever, they went on and creamed Denison like 38-7! gave up 68pts all year and we scored 21 of them. 32-21. That was a year after I graduated.

Possibly the best 4A team ever? You really think so?

District303aPastPlayer
04-18-2008, 10:36 AM
he had more carries, but yeah! lol that was 95 and that team for La Marque was quite possibly the best 4a team ever, they went on and creamed Denison like 38-7! gave up 68pts all year and we scored 21 of them. 32-21. That was a year after I graduated.

I know for sure that he had at least 5 carries over 50 yards... and that 3 of them were TDs...

gato 76
04-18-2008, 10:51 AM
I played against two of the best LB'S.David Hodge from Brasozwood,Sam Proctor from LaMarque.

TMer25
04-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by g$$
You are correct. Austin has a street named after in San Marcos too. You will often see Bay City listed as hometown but he's a VV boy. VV had a stable of athletes for a long time. I played against those guys/cousins back in the day. Austin did not play football to my recollection though. Track star obviously.

He is actually a close friend of mine so thats why I pointed that out. Never played football but did play basketball. He just opened a sports and performance center in San Marcos.