PDA

View Full Version : Who are the best athletes in the world?

nobogey72
04-16-2008, 09:16 PM
As a group, who would you say are the best athletes in the world, as you would define athlete? Some say NFL cornerbacks, some say NBA point guards, MLB shortstops. My opinion has always been that the decathletes are. When I think of someone who can HJ 7', PV 17", LJ 25', 100M hurdles in low 14 high 13, mile in low 4 min., and all the other events.... And, to think about the hrs of training that go into being that good in so many different areas, that gets my vote. Having said that, I still have to say that the two best athletes IMO in my lifetime are Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders. Both could do it all. I don't know about Deion but I'm sure that Bo Jackson probably could have been the best Decathlete in the world if that was the direction he had gone.

coach
04-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Jordan is the best athlete ever

coach
04-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
As a group, who would you say are the best athletes in the world, as you would define athlete? Some say NFL cornerbacks, some say NBA point guards, MLB shortstops. My opinion has always been that the decathletes are. When I think of someone who can HJ 7', PV 17", LJ 25', 100M hurdles in low 14 high 13, mile in low 4 min., and all the other events.... And, to think about the hrs of training that go into being that good in so many different areas, that gets my vote. Having said that, I still have to say that the two best athletes IMO in my lifetime are Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders. Both could do it all. I don't know about Deion but I'm sure that Bo Jackson probably could have been the best Decathlete in the world if that was the direction he had gone.

i think the best conditioned is the decatheletes bc i would say a nba point guard are more athletic

nobogey72
04-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by coach

Hard to argue with that, but read the thread, I'm talking about as a group, or position.

rockdale80
04-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Hard to argue with that, but read the thread, I'm talking about as a group, or position.

Boxers and MMA fighters with the edge going to MMA fighters.

coachc45
04-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by coach
Hard to argue with that

I can argue with it. He was highly skilled in one sport. Not so much in others.

lakers
04-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by coachc45

At least was good enough to compete professionally in more then one sport. Not too many pro athletes can say that.

Reds fan
04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
To me the best "athletes" are those that could compete in multiple sports or levels, not to take ANYTHING away from those that excel in one sport, that being said, possibly the best event to describe overall athleticism would be the decathlon.

BreckTxLonghorn
04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by lakers
At least was good enough to compete professionally in more then one sport. Not too many pro athletes can say that.

He played Single-A Independent league baseball in Minnesota. And poorly at that. He was brought on more to put people in the seats than to help the team. True, he was a good enough athlete that he was able to play constantly, but if multiple sports as a professional is your criteria, then Bo Jackson blows MJ away. An all star in 2 sports at the highest level, Bo would have made this argument moot if not for the hip problems that ended his football career. Still, he was able to play baseball a few years past that. Just an incredible athlete that will always make you think 'what if'.

kepdawg
04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by lakers

There are numerous that could have although few have. Deion, Bo, and Brian Jordan all played two sports. Dave Winfield was drafted to play baseball, basketball, and football. Tom Glavine was drafted to play hockey. John Elway could have played baseball. Lebron James could have played football. Jackie Robinson could have done whatever he wanted. Jim Brown was a lacrosse player. Those are off the top of my head.

Txbroadcaster
04-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
He played Single-A Independent league baseball in Minnesota. And poorly at that. He was brought on more to put people in the seats than to help the team. .

Actually he played for Birmingham the Double A squad for the ChiSox

BreckTxLonghorn
04-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Actually he played for Birmingham the Double A squad for the ChiSox

My apologies on the error then. I could've sworn it was the St Paul Saints, but that may just be my memories from the Showtime mini-documentary on them.

DDBooger
04-17-2008, 12:37 PM
according to Roy Munson

BOWLERS

DUKE22
04-17-2008, 12:39 PM
I would say Bo Jackson is the best athlete up to this point. I really see a great athlete as someone who can play a sport he or she has never played and pick it up pretty quickly. Not everyone can do that.

48minutes
04-18-2008, 11:17 AM
NBA Shooting Gaurds

Phil C
04-18-2008, 11:20 AM
He's Going for the Corner! He's got it!

charlesrixey
04-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by coachc45

if we are talking about physical ability, and not sport specific, then you would have to go with a decathlete or something similar

hand eye coordination (baseball) or skating ability (hockey) or pass-catching or tackling abilities are not necessarily physical inasmuch as running, jumping, swimming, lifting, etc.

with that being said, there are certainly world-class athletes in several sports, including football

but being good at several organized sports is not being the best athlete necessarily; the two may be correllated, but they are not co-dependent.

So while Bo Jackson was good at several sports, it was his physical abilities that really set him apart. I've known very average guys be very good at many sports without being physically gifted

themsu97
04-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Bo... Deon... and Kenny Lofton...

what about Dave Winfield... wasn't he drafted in like all 3 major sports?

waterboy
04-18-2008, 04:09 PM
I would have to agree with nobogey on this one. In the best definition of athlete, decathelon competitors would have to be considered the best, or at the very least, in the best physical condition. Decathletes get my vote.

Emerson1
04-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Baseball players, because the sport is so hard.............

Hupernikomen
04-18-2008, 05:38 PM
best athletes by position?

I would say centerfielder in baseball.

Runningback in football.

Power forward in basketball.

Center in hockey.

Forward in soccer.