PDA

View Full Version : The Pulling Guard

kepdawg
04-16-2008, 12:57 PM
What plays does a lineman generally pull on? What are the factors that decide which lineman pulls? (I know the play determines which one pulls) What are the advantages of a lineman pulling?

Sweetwater Red
04-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Ask someone from Iowa Park. When we played them in the
Quarters a few year ago, it seemed like their entire offensive
line pulled on every play.

mwynn05
04-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
What plays does a lineman generally pull on? What are the factors that decide which lineman pulls? (I know the play determines which one pulls) What are the advantages of a lineman pulling? most plays that call for a pulling guard the guard that pulls is decided by A. where the play is going B. the defensive alignment a lot of times you will have an uncovered lineman pull....sometimes you will have to make a read and the guard pulling will be called up and blocking assignments will be adjusted accordingly and other times...we had some plays where the center pulled and sometimes we had an audible where the center would pull instead of the guard

PPHSfan
04-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Here is what the pulling mascot does.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/woody9six/1184107036456.gif

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Misdirection :)

And no, I do NOT know which plays. :tongue: :p

Gobbla2001
04-16-2008, 02:16 PM
we ran a trap where the guard and tackle would both pull... guard on play-side would down-block... opposite-side guard would pull and go off the play-side guard's hole to pick up some trash, opposite side tackle would pull and hit the first hole past the center, tb would shoot off of that block... it worked good for a 46 yard TD one year, I got the block (on LB, I was the pulling tackle)... probably my best play ever, was on JV ...:D

I remember one time running it my fish or soph year, TB beat me to my hole, coulda gotten him killed but it worked out, LB got him from behind...

Gobbla2001
04-16-2008, 02:26 PM
actually I think my best block was my fish year now that I think back... I was playing right tackle, I was supposed to downblock, rip the DT (just stand him back to buy time) and go to the LB and the RG was supposed to pull around me and trap the DE, QB was going to go offa that block... RG didn't pull, blocked the DT I was supposed to rip, luckily Columbus' DE overshot and the QB was able to get a tad outside, but my LB was still free, so I 'kinda' dove over my guard and the tackle he was blocking and hit the LB in the shoulder, throwing him off enough for about a 7 yard run, our QB thanked me in the huddle, called it the "superman block" though I'm sure it wasn't "that" good... guard paid for his mistake, I squashed him :D

that's about all the glory for me, I sucked pretty bad...

c-town_balla
04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Redskin (counter) we pull the Tackle and the gaurd or center depending on the shade of the DT. If he is in a 3 Center pulls 2 or 1 Guard pulls.

I like this old coach style football chalk talk

coiled2strike
04-16-2008, 04:33 PM
SLAP SLAP!!!

BleedOrange
04-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
What plays does a lineman generally pull on? What are the factors that decide which lineman pulls? (I know the play determines which one pulls) What are the advantages of a lineman pulling?

I don't know but it seemed as though some of the guards I have talked to over the years claimed they were pulling all the time, both day and night. Not sure what the obsession was. I guess they liked to practice pulling to increase their offense's efficiency.

Diocletian
04-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Pulling takes advantage of the linebackers that set up far back from the D-Line.

A great play that always seem to work is pulling the center on a counter to either side.

Some of B.Bellicheck's playbook has guards and tackles pulling on the same play...and I don't know how it works, every time I create a play in Madden like this, the QB gets sacked before he hands off the ball lol

yoemenkracker30
04-16-2008, 10:31 PM
you could pull on counters, traps, sweeps, and g's just to name a few

Fal44
04-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by yoemenkracker30
you could pull on counters, traps, sweeps, and g's just to name a few

thats the kind of pulling I know about... Down, down, kick out...

Tackle, and Tight end block down, while the guard kicks out...

yoemenkracker30
04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Fal44
thats the kind of pulling I know about... Down, down, kick out...

Tackle, and Tight end block down, while the guard kicks out...

yeah...it's always been one of my favorite plays and it's so simple

Fal44
04-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by yoemenkracker30
yeah...it's always been one of my favorite plays and it's so simple

yeah thats probably the only thing I remember learning back in junior high, that we still used the past year...

yoemenkracker30
04-16-2008, 10:56 PM
we ran it in 7th grade then we got a new oc my 8th grade year at the high school (who is now our ad) and we changed to an option attack from multiple formations then eventually to the spread

GreenMonster
04-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
Pulling takes advantage of the linebackers that set up far back from the D-Line.

Actually, the purpose of pulling a guard or tackle is to get an extra blocker at the point of attack. Typical plays that use a pulling lineman are: GT, Trap, G, Sweep, Waggle, and Bootleg. One of my favorite plays is the Cadillac (so termed by my HS coach) or the wingback trap. The play is set up out of the Wing-t or Double Wing offense and looks to be a buck sweep to the defense only without the pulling guards. The backfield action is exactly the same other than the wingback who delays instead of blocking. Wingback takes a 2 count and hops back one hop to allow the timing of the QB to get the fake to the fullback, the spin out and fake toss to the tailback, and the continued spin back to the original position where he hands to the wingback who has countered back against the grain and cutting upfield just between the guard and center (who have doubled the DT out of the play.) The puller on this play is often times the tight end that was originally just inside of the wingback who also delayed a 2 count but took a very direct route to the opposite side of the center to lead up into the hole. For whatever reason Iowa Park seems to make this play work better than any other team I've seen. I tried to copy it thinking how great it works for them, but I must not have blocked it the same or something.