PDA

View Full Version : Multisport Athletes

kepdawg
04-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Are there any 3 or 4 sport athletes in your school? Anybody play football, basketball, and baseball?

Crow22
04-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Are there any 3 or 4 sport athletes in your school? Anybody play football, basketball, and baseball?

Probably only about 70% of them.

kepdawg
04-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Crow22
Probably only about 70% of them.

70% of the athletes at your school play 3 or 4 sports? Low participation numbers overall so everybody does everything?

FutureAD
04-15-2008, 02:51 PM
usually in 3a schools kids have to play more than one sport just so the team can have the numbers...or maybe not have to but choose to because thats just how it is at the smaller school.

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2008, 02:52 PM
:thinking: :thinking: Off the top of my head, I can't think of any played football, basketball and baseball. I do know of several that participate in football, baseball and track, and a couple that do football, powerlifting and track.

Emerson1
04-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I don't think we have any 3 sport boys athletes.

Baseball and basketball are year round here.

Ranger Mom
04-15-2008, 03:23 PM
I can think of about 5 who played football, basketball and baseball..and I think a couple of those may do track too!!

STANG RED
04-15-2008, 03:38 PM
I think most of our basketball, baseball, track, and powerlifters also play football, but not all of the football players play two other sports, but most play at least one other.

Phil C
04-15-2008, 04:05 PM
I know in Freer we had a great athlete named Bill Acker who later played baseball at UT and pro baseball. He was great in all sports and won runner up in state throwing the discus and shot put his senior year. I remember they wrote an article in the Corpus Christi paper about how he had lettered in all sports Freer had at the time in football, basketball, baseball, track and field, and tennis. And that was his freshman year! And what is more these were the varsity teams. And in all that he was a very good solid B+ student too.

In Mathis just a few years ago they had a great girl athlete that was remarkable and she was great in volleyball, basketball (her main sport), track and softball. I think her name was Andrea Garcia (please correct me if I am wrong). On top of that with her busy schedule she was the valedictorian of her school!

Remarkable indeed.

kaorder1999
04-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Our QB plays football, basketball, soccer and baseball!

Phil C
04-15-2008, 04:10 PM
If our high school team had had a swimming team then Jim would probably have lettered in that too.

pirate4state
04-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Our QB plays football, basketball, soccer and baseball! Ours does too, well except he doesn't play soccer he plays tennis. The back up QB plays football, basketball, baseball & golf. I wanna say he might even participate in track!! :eek: :eek:

Phil C
04-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Ours does too, well except he doesn't play soccer he plays tennis. The back up QB plays football, basketball, baseball & golf. I wanna say he might even participate in track!! :eek: :eek:

Does CoCo play basketball? If so she is in volleyball, basketball, track and softball.

pirate4state
04-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Does CoCo play basketball? If so she is in volleyball, basketball, track and softball. No she doesn't, but she thought about it!

Phil C
04-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Cameron played good volleyball last year on the Aransas Pass JV volleyball team and she also plays first base on their junior varsity softball team and is very good. I got to see her play this year and we got two hits and both times they threw the ball to her to get the outs and both times I had to yell "Great play Cameron! Doggone it!"

She laughed both times. :)

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Cameron played good volleyball last year on the Aransas Pass JV volleyball team and she also plays first base on their junior varsity softball team and is very good. I got to see her play this year and we got two hits and both times they threw the ball to her to get the outs and both times I had to yell "Great play Cameron! Doggone it!"

She laughed both times. :)

LOL...I guess playing first base has it's advantages...YOU GET TO PLAY RIGHT BY THE SINTON FANS.:D

Cameron plays volleyball, softball (JV and Varsity), golf and cheerleading. She also goes to gymnastics once a week.

She won 1st place in District in 7th and 8th grades in tennis - singles. Something had to give though in the spring and it was tennis (for the time being).

Their golf team just placed 1st in district and will go to regionals next Monday and Tuesday. Okay, I have finished bragging.

Phil C...she ALWAYS enjoys seeing you!:)

g$$
04-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

Not as common as it once was like when I played, but some still do. Most play 2 sports now (like football & baseball). I enjoyed playing 3 sports & never regretted it. Got a state ring out of the deal too in basketball thanks to some studs during that time in Sweeny (Benford Williams, Avery Helms, etc.).

Some still do multiple sports...my niece had 11 Varsity letters at 4A Marble Falls & now runs track at Texas.

g$$
04-15-2008, 04:41 PM
I know in Freer we had a great athlete named Bill Acker who later played baseball at UT and pro baseball. He was great in all sports and won runner up in state throwing the discus and shot put his senior year. I remember they wrote an article in the Corpus Christi paper about how he had lettered in all sports Freer had at the time in football, basketball, baseball, track and field, and tennis. And that was his freshman year! And what is more these were the varsity teams. And in all that he was a very good solid B+ student too.

In Mathis just a few years ago they had a great girl athlete that was remarkable and she was great in volleyball, basketball (her main sport), track and softball. I think her name was Andrea Garcia (please correct me if I am wrong). On top of that with her busy schedule she was the valedictorian of her school!

Remarkable indeed.

His brother Jim wasn't too shabby either...

nobogey72
04-15-2008, 04:49 PM
I think alot of it has to do with coaches and their attitudes about sharing kids. At Wylie, we are lucky that they all seem to encourage kids to play everything they want to play. Even in track/baseball which is a tough combination, there are kids that do both because the coaches cooperate. Tiny Tim's son plays and starts in baseball, and also runs on the sprint relay. I'm sure that it is not that way everywhere. It didn't used to be that way at Wylie. :)

g$$
04-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I think alot of it has to do with coaches and their attitudes about sharing kids. At Wylie, we are lucky that they all seem to encourage kids to play everything they want to play. Even in track/baseball which is a tough combination, there are kids that do both because the coaches cooperate. Tiny Tim's son plays and starts in baseball, and also runs on the sprint relay. I'm sure that it is not that way everywhere. It didn't used to be that way at Wylie. :)

Very true, not all places have coaches willing to cooperate & share kids. Play all you can & enjoy it, IMO. Playing multiple sports & giving your body/mind a break from one sport burn-out can be very beneficial in the long run.

yoemenkracker30
04-15-2008, 05:14 PM
when i was in high school i'd say as much as 10 or 15% played 3 or 4 sports

STANG RED
04-15-2008, 06:38 PM

I have never seen the level of participation in all sports than what I have seen at Wylie. It's a testement to a great coaching staff that are willing to put in the time and effort. And having the parents with the means and time and willingness to do it all is a huge factor imo.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I know that I played football, basketball, and track back in the day, but I was the only person in my class who played three sports that I can think of off of the top of my head. I can't think of many who do it in Rockdale right now, but it's several more than when I was in the Rock.

nobogey72
04-15-2008, 08:12 PM
I've heard college coaches talking about multi-sport HS athletes and they think that it gives them an advantage over 1 sport athletes due to the fact that they never have totally committed themselves to just one sport and therefore may have more upside than a 1 sport kid that may have topped out skill-wise.

bandera7
04-15-2008, 08:23 PM
we have quite a few 3 sport athletes, but our coaches dont allow us to do both Basketball and Soccer, as the games are on the same nights. However, we had one kid join up at the end of soccer after basketball was over. We have somewhere around ten three sport male athletes, I think a couple four sport athletes, and then a whole lot of 3 sport girl athletes.

big daddy russ
04-15-2008, 11:01 PM
I played three in HS. Heck, I played six in junior high. Don't ask me how I did six, considering three sports overlapped.

Football
Basketball
Track (triple jump, long jump, 1600)
Baseball (Little League)
Soccer (City League)
Tennis (Seventh grade only)

Fal44
04-15-2008, 11:13 PM
basketball, football, track, and I run cross country district meet...

coach
04-16-2008, 12:40 AM
i played all three sports 2 out of four years in high school

g$$
04-16-2008, 02:26 AM
I've heard college coaches talking about multi-sport HS athletes and they think that it gives them an advantage over 1 sport athletes due to the fact that they never have totally committed themselves to just one sport and therefore may have more upside than a 1 sport kid that may have topped out skill-wise.

Exactly right. Wayne Graham likes to recruit football players, for example. So do others. Kids have more upside that way & not burned out.

txkmom
04-16-2008, 08:31 AM
My son played football, basketball, and baseball until his junior year. He felt basketball wore him down and ran too much weight off him for that he needed for the other sports, plus he was late getting to baseball. One of my girls, on the other hand, played 4 sports freshman year, and 3 since (volleyball, basketball, and softball). Unlike her brother, she feels that basketball keeps her in shape for her other sports. I imagine she'll stay with those 3 her senior year also, although it's hard. You really have to dedicate yourself, especially if you're involved in student council, clubs, and pre-AP classes.

Phil C
04-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by g$$
His brother Jim wasn't too shabby either...

Thank you for jogging my old mind g$$ because it was Jim I was referring too instead of his older brother Bill who was a good football player too and played at UT and in the pros for a few years. I remember he played so well at Freer as a sophomore that a sports writer said "He plays like a senior at a 4A (largest class that year) yet he is just a sophomore at a 2A school."

Phil C
04-16-2008, 09:41 AM
When I was in high school I had a friend John Cowley who played football, basketball, track and swimming. He was good in all sports. In fact the swimming team got 4th in state but I think Freer dropped the swimming team soon afterward. He was also a good student also and graduated from Baylor. I have already posted about his father Harold Cowley.

sicem74
04-16-2008, 09:44 AM
the best 4 sport athlete is probably jeremy kerley or brian scott

RdaleBoi08
04-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Gotta Agree With Charles On That...I play three sports in high school since my freshmen year