PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot Kickers: A Thing of the Past

kepdawg
04-15-2008, 01:38 PM
It seems like when I was younger I would always see at least one team with a barefoot kicker. I never did and still don't understand how those guys could do it! Now I rarely, if ever, see a barefoot kicker. Are barefoot kickers a thing of the past?

Phil C
04-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Tony Crosby of UT was a great one. He kicked for our first National Championship team in 1963 and was great.

FutureAD
04-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Tony Crosby of UT was a great one. He kicked for our first National Championship team in 1963 and was great.

i think thats what his point is phil...is it just a thing of the past

Bearkat
04-15-2008, 02:05 PM
The kicker at my highschool kicked FG's without a shoe, but kicked off with a soccer shoe. Never really understood the difference but he said that it just felt better. Does anyone have any type of logical reason for barefooted kickers?

big daddy russ
04-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
The kicker at my highschool kicked FG's without a shoe, but kicked off with a soccer shoe. Never really understood the difference but he said that it just felt better. Does anyone have any type of logical reason for barefooted kickers?
Barefoot you have more control over the ball. Or at least you used to. I don't know what kind of crazy shoes they have out nowadays.

With a soccer shoe, you get more power out of your kicks.

Fal44
04-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Fal used to have one back in 2000... I remember that season so well... We were decent for once...

Bull's-eye
04-16-2008, 01:40 AM
A friend of mine kicked barefooted and used a shoe as a kicking tee. Don't laugh, he kicked a 65 yd FG with his right foot and over 50 yds with his left. He never played HS football due to a kidney problem.

trojan37
04-16-2008, 01:50 AM
Tony Franklin was the best barefoot kicker I have ever seen. "Franklin played college football at Texas A&M University where he set the record for the longest collegiate field goal of 65 yards on October 16, 1976 against Baylor University. This record was short-lived when Ove Johansson, on the same day, kicked a 69 yard field goal. However, Franklin also kicked a 64 yard field goal in the same game and remains the only college player to kick two 60+ yard field goals in one game."

tortilla_man
04-16-2008, 02:08 AM
what ever happen to the Brandt Geoke fella from Bellville kicked a 55yd field goal @ kyle field in either 03 or 04 vs marlin.. i know he played some ball at blinn..

g$$
04-16-2008, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
Tony Franklin was the best barefoot kicker I have ever seen. "Franklin played college football at Texas A&M University where he set the record for the longest collegiate field goal of 65 yards on October 16, 1976 against Baylor University. This record was short-lived when Ove Johansson, on the same day, kicked a 69 yard field goal. However, Franklin also kicked a 64 yard field goal in the same game and remains the only college player to kick two 60+ yard field goals in one game."

He was a good one. Fond childhood memories watching him for the Ags. Lives in SA area I was told. Russell Erxleben was at Texas during this time (not a barefooted kicker) & ARK had a good one too (Steve Little ?? I believe). SWC had some good kickers during that time & all played in the NFL.

nobogey72
04-16-2008, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by trojan37

I saw the 69 yarder in person at Shotwell Stadium. That was the same day that Art Briles' parents and aunt were killed in a car wreck on their way to see UH play.

waterboy
04-16-2008, 07:25 AM
This past season, the Gilmer placekicker kicked barefooted. His name was Dustin Jones. He had a very strong leg. The ball would go into the end zone on most kickoffs, a few times it went all the way through. I never understood how or why kickers would kick barefooted. I've tried it and it can sting pretty good, not to mention the possibility of jamming a toe if you hit the ball wrong. Ouch!