PDA

View Full Version : Western Conference: One Game to Go

kepdawg
04-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Well, the Hornets actually have two games, but everyone else has one game left.

Lakers 56-25 vs Kings (TUE)
Hornets 55-25 vs Clippers (TUE), @ Mavs (WED)
Spurs 55-26 vs Jazz (WED)
Jazz 54-27 @ Spurs (WED)
Rockets 54-27 vs Clippers (WED)
Suns 54-27 vs Blazers (WED)
Mavs 50-31 vs Hornets (WED)
Nuggets 49-32 vs Grizzlies (WED)

Top two teams could end tied. Lakers hold tie breaker over Hornets based on better conference record.

Middle four teams could end tied. I have no idea how they would sort this mess out. Jazz cannot be lower than four because they are division winners.

Bottom two teams could end tied. Nuggets hold tie breaker over Mavs based on head to head.

JasperDog94
04-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Charles Barkley: "That's just crazy, Ernie.";)

kepdawg
04-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Charles Barkley: "That's just crazy, Ernie.";)

If the Lakers lose there could be a three way tie for first!

If the Hornets lose the last two there could be a five way tie for second!

BreckTxLonghorn
04-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Which way do you view it?

1) Whoever comes out of the Western Conference will easily win the NBA finals, as the Eastern Conference champion will be nothing compared to the past month and a half the West went through.

2) Whoever comes out of the Western Conference is done when they make the finals. The competition is just too much out west, and they will have exhausted themselves simply trying to make it through a month and a half of playoffs.

And why????

kepdawg
04-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

1) Whoever comes out of the Western Conference will easily win the NBA finals, as the Eastern Conference champion will be nothing compared to the past month and a half the West went through.

2) Whoever comes out of the Western Conference is done when they make the finals. The competition is just too much out west, and they will have exhausted themselves simply trying to make it through a month and a half of playoffs.

And why????

I think it depends on the Eastern Conference Champion. If the top teams make it through I think they have a legit shot of winning the championship. If the top teams get upset, I don't think a lower seeded team from the East stands a chance against anybody from the West in a seven game series.

kepdawg
04-15-2008, 09:49 PM
The Hornets beat the Clippers so the Lakers have to win to guarantee the #1 seed.

kepdawg
04-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Lakers beat the Kings to clinch the #1 seed.

big daddy russ
04-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

And why????
I think it depends more on how sore the teams are rather than how much they've played. I don't think the extra games are as much a negative as everyone makes them out to be, but if players come up hobbling that's when it makes for a rough go in the next round.

I'd be surprised if anyone except the Celtics makes it out of the East. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody makes it out of the West. I say LA over Boston in seven. I know I picked the Celts at the start of the season, but Kobe has Pau, Bynum, and Odom (who can still play despite low numbers) and is the most unstoppable player in the game today.

JasperDog94
04-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Rockets have now lost Rafer Alston for at least one week. :( :(

Most people don't realize that Rafer was (IMO) the biggest reason for that long winning streak. His play this year has been fantastic.

kepdawg
04-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Rockets have now lost Rafer Alston for at least one week. :( :(

Most people don't realize that Rafer was (IMO) the biggest reason for that long winning streak. His play this year has been fantastic.

I never thought I'd see the day Rockets fans were worried about losing Rafer Alston!

kepdawg
04-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Western Conference
Lakers Locked in as the No. 1 seed
Hornets Locked in as the No. 2 seed

Spurs No. 3 seed with win; No. 4 with loss and PHX loss; No. 5 with a loss, a HOU loss and PHX win; No. 6 with a loss a HOU win and PHX win
Jazz No. 3 seed with win; No. 4 seed with loss
Rockets No. 5 seed with win or PHX loss; No. 6 with a loss and PHX win
Suns No. 4 seed with win and SA loss; No. 5 with win, SA win and HOU loss, No. 6 with loss

Mavericks No. 7 seed with win or DEN loss; No. 8 with loss and DEN win
Nuggets No. 7 seed with a win and a DAL loss; No. 8 with loss or DAL win

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=playoffpush-080416story)

Bull's-eye
04-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Houston #5 seed with a win and home court advantage if Utah loses to the spurs.

kaorder1999
04-16-2008, 12:09 PM
A. HOUSTON-PHOENIX-UTAH-SAN ANTONIO (Seeds 3 to 6)

(Higher Seeded team has homecourt in first round unless otherwise indicated)
1. If Houston and San Antonio win:
3-San Antonio
4-Utah
5-Houston (homecourt)
6-Phoenix

2. If Houston, Utah and Phoenix win:
3-Utah
4-Phoenix
5-Houston (homecourt)
6-San Antonio

3. If Utah wins and Phoenix loses:
3-Utah
4-San Antonio
5-Houston
6-Phoenix

4. If San Antonio and Phoenix wins and Houston loses:
3-San Antonio
4-Utah
5-Phoenix (homecourt)
6-Houston

5. If San Antonio wins and Houston and Phoenix lose:
3-San Antonio
4-Utah
5-Houston
6-Phoenix

6. If Utah and Phoenix wins and Houston loses:
3-Utah
4-Phoenix
5-San Antonio
6-Houston

B. DALLAS-DENVER (Seeds 7 to 8)

1. If Dallas wins or Denver loses:
7-Dallas
8-Denver

2. If Denver wins AND Dallas loses:
7-Denver
8-Dallas

Maroon87
04-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Western Conference

Spurs No. 3 seed with win; No. 4 with loss and PHX loss; No. 5 with a loss, a HOU loss and PHX win; No. 6 with a loss a HOU win and PHX win

That right there tells you all you need to know about how crazy the West has been this year.

Sweetwater Red
04-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
That right there tells you all you need to know about how crazy the West has been this year.

That's what sucks about being a fan of team from the East. The
Pistons have been playing their bench for the last two weeks in
meaningless games. :(

Now I just have to wait and see if it helped or hurt.:thinking:

kepdawg
04-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Mavs win to get the 7 seed and will play Hornets

Spurs up 23 on the Jazz right now, looks like the Spurs will be the 3 seed

That makes the Jazz the 4 seed

Houston is up 18 and will be the 5

First round matchups should look like this:

1 Lakers vs 8 Nuggets
2 Hornets vs 7 Mavs
3 Spurs vs 6 Suns
4 Utah vs 5 Rockets (Homecourt)

piratebg
04-16-2008, 09:47 PM
The Spurs are just having their way with the Jazz right now.

65-39 at the half. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bull's-eye
04-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
The Spurs are just having their way with the Jazz right now.

65-39 at the half. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks to our I-10 neighbors, the Rockets have home court in the first round. Also, thanks for giving us Scola! :clap: :clap:

g$$
04-17-2008, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Thanks to our I-10 neighbors, the Rockets have home court in the first round. Also, thanks for giving us Scola! :clap: :clap: [/QUOTE

Exactly. Sure wish Yao could play. Gonna be crazy in playoffs. West is loaded, East has 2 quality teams.

Jasper: Rafer has played much better no doubt, but let's be careful here. He's still Rafer...albeit a better Rafer this year. Team played well in 22 game streak & different players stepped up. 1st 12 wins were with Yao too I believe.

JasperDog94
04-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Jasper: Rafer has played much better no doubt, but let's be careful here. He's still Rafer...albeit a better Rafer this year. Team played well in 22 game streak & different players stepped up. 1st 12 wins were with Yao too I believe. True, but Rafer had the best month of his career during the part of the streak when Yao was out.

g$$
04-18-2008, 01:20 AM
True, but Rafer had the best month of his career during the part of the streak when Yao was out.

No doubt. Then he returned to being Rafer for the most part. Hope he gets well & helps in playoffs, definitely need him.