PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite offense?

kepdawg
04-15-2008, 12:56 PM
What is your favorite offense to run? If you were the coordinator, what would you do? What would be key plays?

coach
04-15-2008, 01:00 PM
depends on type of players but i like the spread with a lot of option plays the aggies offense last year would be perfect for high school...

sinton66
04-15-2008, 01:04 PM
I've always been a fan of the wing-t. When it's done right, it's like poetry in motion.

STANG RED
04-15-2008, 01:08 PM
I like a balanced attack no matter what your primarty scheme is. Not a big fan of the spread, but it is exciting to watch when it is clicking. But a good D coordinator with good athletes can really hurt it, if you cant run it some to keep the D honest.

I_DONT_CARE
04-15-2008, 01:11 PM
MY FAVORITE IS THE ONE THAT SCORES POINTS.

Bearkat
04-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I would have to say "Multiple" I like a little of everything. The "I", the split back veer, the spread. I couldn't be one dimensional. Did I spell that right?

gato 76
04-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
I would have to say "Multiple" I like a little of everything. The "I", the split back veer, the spread. I couldn't be one dimensional. Did I spell that right?

I have to agree with Bearkat,i like a multiple offense

PPHSfan
04-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Drunk in Public.

pirate4state
04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
MY FAVORITE IS THE ONE THAT SCORES POINTS.

:eek: You don't say??

For my Burnet friends....I liked ya'll offense even if ya'll kicked our butt. It was fun to watch!! Well, not the butt kicking, but the time I watched ya'll play Wharton. ;)

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2008, 05:06 PM
I can't say that I really have a favorite. And, shocking I know, but in some cases I don't have a clue what a team is running just by the way they line up. :eek: :p

I do like to watch a team that is more about several of the kids, than one main go-to guy. :)

yoemenkracker30
04-15-2008, 05:11 PM
spread....multiple.....bone

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by yoemenkracker30
bone
Flex or wish? (Or is there another one nobody told me about?)

Matthew328
04-15-2008, 05:13 PM
If I was a coach I'd gear my offense to fit my personel......but as a fan I really like to watch Hebron....they do a ton of different things and they do them all well....they run a lot of pro style sets with split backs and 2 or 3 wides but they'll also go spread on you...then when in the red zone they have no problem going 2 tights and lining up in the I formation...

I also like teams like Trinity who just line it up and run it right at you...

DU_stud04
04-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Flex or wish? (Or is there another one nobody told me about?) t-bone. just dont let it burn.

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
If I was a coach I'd gear my offense to fit my personel......
So do you change it every year or two depending on your personnel? And do you use the same through all grades? Or is more based on your "general" personnel?

yoemenkracker30
04-15-2008, 05:19 PM
i think with the spread or wing-t offense if you bring the kids up on the offense's ideas and schemes it is executable no matter the personnel

Matthew328
04-15-2008, 05:19 PM
I think you have a base offense which you run throughout your feeder school system with a few basic formations and sets...then when the kids get to the JV and Varsity level you become more specific with your stuff based on personel....

Matthew328
04-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by yoemenkracker30
i think with the spread or wing-t offense if you bring the kids up on the offense's ideas and schemes it is executable no matter the personnel

Both offenses are executable no matter the personel but the level of execution is going vary based on personel....Wing-T offenses are great if you have smaller quicker lineman and speedy backs...but if you have big road graders who don't move quite as well the Wing-T isn't near as effective because the base of the offense relies on misdirection and quick trapping...in that case if you have some big road graders and a bunch of solid wideouts you can still some basic wing stuff..the sweep or flip series but your traps and counters need to go out the window and implement some 3 and 4 wide sets to fit your kids..

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I think you have a base offense which you run throughout your feeder school system with a few basic formations and sets...then when the kids get to the JV and Varsity level you become more specific with your stuff based on personel....
I get you now! I was thinking you might be talking about switching base offenses, rather than opening up the playbook. :thumbsup:

Matthew328
04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Naaa that would cause too much upheaval on a yearly basis...I think you should have a basic system but then adjust and tweak based on your personel, which most coaches will do for the most part...

Thats one problem w/inner city schools is the kids aren't running the system in junior high and then they get to high school and they are 2 years behind..

yoemenkracker30
04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
i think the I and multiple formation offenses would be some of the easier to install if a first year coach was coming into the program

Matthew328
04-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Wing T and Veer are relatively easy offenses to learn on the fly also...I think half of the deception in most offenses is the fact they'll learn 10 plays but they'll run em out of 4 or 5 different formations so they look like 50 plays at first glance

cshscougar08
04-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Wing T is definitely one of my favorites. I like the spread as well. But overall, whatever is exciting to watch works for me. I really don't like to see an offense that pounds it between the tackles for 3 yards every play. Not for me. Open it up and let's have some scoring!!!!

STANG RED
04-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Wing T is definitely one of my favorites. I like the spread as well. But overall, whatever is exciting to watch works for me. I really don't like to see an offense that pounds it between the tackles for 3 yards every play. Not for me. Open it up and let's have some scoring!!!!

Then you would hate the Sweetwater offense. We have one set and 6 plays. Off right tackle, off left tackle, run left, pitch left, run right, and pitch right. But we have a pretty good punting game. After all, we do get lots of practice at it.:( :mad:

sinton66
04-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08

As evidenced by the wing-t that Liberty Hill runs, they run it at you every down and score a LOT. When Sinton ran the wing-t back in 1990, it was more of a 3-1/3 yds and a cloud of dust thing, and they rarely put up more than 34 points, but had a defense that would only allow 14 to the best of them, so they did well all the way to the semis. Lost that one 13-12 on a missed field goal with time running out. It is definitely a beautiful thing to see when done correctly.

Matthew328
04-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Liberty Hill runs a hybrid of the Wing-T though....seems like most teams who run the Slot T well put up a lot of points....that offense when going well seems to roll up yards in big chunks...

sinton66
04-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Liberty Hill runs a hybrid of the Wing-T though....seems like most teams who run the Slot T well put up a lot of points....that offense when going well seems to roll up yards in big chunks...

Yes, if you have good speed in the backfield or backs with really good open field moves. Average backs will fall into Sinton's 1990 category.

PPHSfan
04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
The main difference between the wing T and the veer is that nobody outside of maybe 3 high school teams in the US run a true veer, but a lot of teams run the wing T.

PPHSfan
04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
But I love the VEER.:D

DU_stud04
04-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
But I love the VEER.:D x2

BobcatBenny
04-15-2008, 06:34 PM
I love an offense where the entire offense is orange from head to toe.

Imagine that!:thinking:

sinton66
04-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I love an offense where the entire offense is orange from head to toe.

Imagine that!:thinking:

egad, sounds like that would look a lot like a Florida produce truck.:D

yoemenkracker30
04-15-2008, 06:38 PM
i remember my senior year la grange was still running the veer but they tried to use texas tech size splits on the line....didn't work too well

Who-dun-it!!?
04-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I liked the Will Clay Every Play Offense.:nerd:

PHS Wildcats
04-15-2008, 08:18 PM
I love the the "fun and gun" that Spurrier ran.
We ran a similar version of it my jr and sr yr in HS

kepdawg
04-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Then you would hate the Sweetwater offense. We have one set and 6 plays. Off right tackle, off left tackle, run left, pitch left, run right, and pitch right. But we have a pretty good punting game. After all, we do get lots of practice at it.:( :mad:

6 plays isn't bad! That's how many Denison had when I was in high school. Sweep right, sweep left, trap right, trap left, extra point, and kickoff! But they all worked!

jimmyceatworld
04-15-2008, 10:56 PM
The shotgun and flexbone had a love child I call the flex gun (I'm taking all credit for coining this soon to be very popular term).

It's my fav.

I also am a fan of the swinging gate. Who knows who could take the gate to state in 08? lol

Fal44
04-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Spread Option and Flex bone sets... Thats what I would Run if I was a head coach... I love the idea off being able to pound the ball, then spread them out and catch them off guard with quick options.. Or we could always pass the ball :D

slpybear the bullfan
04-16-2008, 11:11 PM
The spread... with a tall fast back to run the ball out of it.

Fantastic...

GreenMonster
04-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
The spread... with a tall fast back to run the ball out of it.

Fantastic... Dude, Danny Henson must have hypnotized that entire town to believe his brand of football was the only one or something. By the way, I was in your backyard (probably in a literal sense) a week ago at the 9-2A district golf tournament. I was monitoring the 2 girls that had the lowest score from the previous week. It was a long and rainy day. Why is it that every 7th or 8th house seemed to be up for sale at the Bay?

Matthew328
04-16-2008, 11:18 PM
If anyone can run it the Single Wing seems like it would be fun to watch

GreenMonster
04-16-2008, 11:20 PM
If anyone can run it the Single Wing seems like it would be fun to watch Single Wing is extremely fun to watch. The hardest part is getting a center that can make all of the directional snaps and have 100% accuracy while handling a noseguard.

Matthew328
04-16-2008, 11:22 PM
heard Princeton tinkered with it but didnt work out too well for them

GreenMonster
04-16-2008, 11:26 PM
heard Princeton tinkered with it but didnt work out too well for them Iowa Park tinkers with it yearly and keep a few plays in the playbook to use as a changeup, but when they tried to go exclusive this past season they found the snap to be the biggest problem. It's easy to run when no one is expecting it, but when the defense has a chance to game plan it they try to overwhelm the center and the snap is what suffers. if an offense can't get a snap then there is no offense.

Diocletian
04-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Empty backfield every play....having random receivers running to the QB and providing blocking

the design of this offence is to use the receivers to act like an offensive blitz and take out any free man on the def line...the defense has no idea which receiver will come to block or from which angle he will be coming from

your QB must be mobile, and you stretch the field by calling running plays for him

piratebg
04-17-2008, 01:03 AM
I like the Run & Gun. :thumbsup:

ILS1
04-17-2008, 04:25 AM
I loved the old Washington Redskins offense in their prime. Counter treys,pulling guards and great big huge blocking TE's. But I hated it being a Cowboys fan!!!

:D :D

griff
04-17-2008, 06:12 AM
Any offense run by Coach Briles.