PDA

View Full Version : Question for golfers

CenTexSports
04-14-2008, 07:01 PM
I played in a blind bogey this weekend and after we finished (it was late Sunday afternoon) two groups of us decided to play another nine. When we got to the 5th hole, a guy came up asking for me and another guy in our group. We thought we had done something wrong. In fact, both of us had shot even par and with the high wind and the really tough pin positions, we were tied for medalist (out of 119 golfers).

The guy gave us the choice of playing off for the title and money or having a scorecard playoff. I had shot 36/36 and the other guy shot 40/32 (btw: this is a guy that I play with four or five times a week). We decided to play it off and I lost (missed two four footers; one to win the first hole and one to tie the second hole).

The question: What would you have done? Take the scorecard playoff results (which I found out later, I would have won) or have a playoff?

buff4life
04-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I played in a blind bogey this weekend and after we finished (it was late Sunday afternoon) two groups of us decided to play another nine. When we got to the 5th hole, a guy came up asking for me and another guy in our group. We thought we had done something wrong. In fact, both of us had shot even par and with the high wind and the really tough pin positions, we were tied for medalist (out of 119 golfers).

The guy gave us the choice of playing off for the title and money or having a scorecard playoff. I had shot 36/36 and the other guy shot 40/32 (btw: this is a guy that I play with four or five times a week). We decided to play it off and I lost (missed two four footers; one to win the first hole and one to tie the second hole).

The question: What would you have done? Take the scorecard playoff results (which I found out later, I would have won) or have a playoff?

where did you play at? are you a scratch golfer? and since you play with the guy all the time, you probably made the right decision, it would've had to be on a gut feeling, but 36 36 i would probably have taken to scorecard since he shot 32 on back and was hot

CenTexSports
04-14-2008, 07:23 PM
He is a better golfer than me but I was hitting the ball extremely good on Sunday. I missed about six birdie putts that could have gone in. He is a 1 handicap and I am a 3 on the course we play. He won the club championship last year (I was second but I won the handicap title). In retrospect, I probably should have taken the scorecard chance.

Oh yeah, we played in Franklin.

buff4life
04-14-2008, 07:28 PM
He is a better golfer than me but I was hitting the ball extremely good on Sunday. I missed about six birdie putts that could have gone in. He is a 1 handicap and I am a 3 on the course we play. He won the club championship last year (I was second but I won the handicap title). In retrospect, I probably should have taken the scorecard chance.

Oh yeah, we played in Franklin.

ooo well if you were feeling it nothing wrong with taking that chance not knowing how the scorecard playoff would go...

PPHSfan
04-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Kept it blind and split the money.

CenTexSports
04-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I suggested that but he would not agree.

buff4life
04-14-2008, 07:39 PM
I suggested that but he would not agree.

thats pretty sorry if you and him play together 4 or 5 times a week

zebrablue2
04-14-2008, 08:31 PM
I would have done the playoff like you did. JMO..

jason
04-14-2008, 08:36 PM
i would have done the play-off - i dont like putting something in the fate of luck, i either want to win it or blow it on my own....

nobogey72
04-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Been there. There is nothing more fair than just tee it up and play it off.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

super1
04-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Play it off head to head. Mano a Mano. Let the chips fall where they may.

48minutes
04-14-2008, 09:55 PM
even par in the wind is pretty solid. What is the course in franklin called?

I would have also played it off. Only true way to find out who deserves it. 2 four footers can hurt you. lol

what did your friend do so different on the back? 40 to 32 is a pretty big change in game.

CenTexSports
04-14-2008, 10:18 PM
The course is Oak Grove CC. It is a short course but has a lot of character and some tough pin placements. The guy I tied birded 11, 12, & 13 and putted it in for eagle from just off the 17th.

The guy that won the tournament last year coaches in Chilton and shot 4 under last year and he shot 3 or 4 over yesterday. There were 19 in our group from Cameron, Marlin, Rockdale, Franklin, Bremond and Waco.

48minutes
04-14-2008, 10:29 PM
how short? 65 or so??

CenTexSports
04-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Probably less. On a day with no wind and the pins in the middle of the greens, it is a pretty easy course.

coiled2strike
04-14-2008, 10:42 PM
take the head to head and compete...always good to beat a buddy, especially if he is a better golfer
great scores either way...wish i could play enough to get back to a single digit handicap

DaHop72
04-14-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm with most of the others, play-off and take you chances. Don't leave it to chance.

GreenGobbla
04-15-2008, 12:40 AM
ya, go with the sudden death for sure.

no way i would let a scorecard play-off determine if i got 1st or 2nd.