PDA

View Full Version : Texas QB (Kinne) considers (La.) Tech transfer

Aesculus gilmus
04-14-2008, 06:53 AM
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080413/BREAKINGNEWS/80413004

RUSTON -- University of Texas backup quarterback G.J. Kinne has received his release from Longhorns coach Mack Brown and is considering a transfer to Louisiana Tech.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound former prep All-American was in Ruston on Saturday visiting with coaches and watching the Bulldogs’ spring game.

“I’m just here taking it in. I’m open to all schools,” Kinne said. “I’ve had as many as 10 schools I was considering but I’ve narrowed it down to three or four and I have a couple more visits planned.”

Kinne ran the scout team at Texas in 2007 as a redshirt. He finished his high school career at Gilmer with 11,695 passing yards, the third most ever in Texas football history. He also tossed 130 touchdown passes, second most ever in the state. Kinne threw 217 consecutive passes without an interception and led his teams to a 38-9 record in four seasons.

Kinne played at Gilmer with 2008 Tech signee Houston Tuminello, could give the Bulldogs an edge in signing him.

"He's one of my best friends," Kinne said.

After not signing a quarterback in his past recruiting class, Tech coach Derek Dooley and his staff have been combing the country looking for signal callers.

California quarterback Colby Cameron recently inked with the Bulldogs and 2007 Georgia Tech starter Taylor Bennett is expected to enroll in May with one year of eligibility remaining. Kinne would have three years of eligibility after sitting out one season.

“I’m not really looking at depth charts because I know I’ll have competition wherever I go,” Kinne said. “I’m looking at coaches and at a system I’ll fit in.”

His father, Gary, who formerly coached at Baylor, attended the Tech visit with his son.

“We plan to make a decision by mid-May,” Gary Kinne said.

Tech had just two quarterbacks during spring training, although former Captain Shreve quarterback Andrew Calantone was sitting out injured.