PDA

View Full Version : Heisman Race This Year

PPHSfan
04-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Post your guys to watch here.

Necks_Fan
04-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Post your guys to watch here. Sam Bradford at OU is going to have a MONSTER year with Iglesias back as well. Going to be a lethal Duo on the field.

PPHSfan
04-12-2008, 08:49 PM
I am going to keep a close eye on Joe McKnight and Gary Randall.:D

Adidas410s
04-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Tim Tebow
Keyshawn Moreno
Sam Bradford
Chase Daniel
Pat White
Graham Harrell
Chris Wells
Rashard Mendenhall

Big names that won't be there at the end:

Joe McKnight, Jeremy Maclin, Michael Crabtree, CJ Spiller/James Davis, Mitch Mustain/Mark Sanchez, PJ Hill, Ryan Perilloux, Colt McCoy

Necks_Fan
04-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Tim Tebow
Keyshawn Moreno
Sam Bradford
Chase Daniel
Pat White
Graham Harrell
Chris Wells
Rashard Mendenhall

Joe McKnight, Jeremy Maclin, Michael Crabtree, CJ Spiller/James Davis, Mitch Mustain/Mark Sanchez, PJ Hill, Ryan Perilloux, Colt McCoy Agreed. Except, I thought Mendenhall was going pro. I know they are brothers, and I don't know which you are referring to, but one was not that good and the other is going pro I thought, so ?????

gatordaze
04-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Tim Tebow
Keyshawn Moreno
Sam Bradford
Chase Daniel
Pat White
Graham Harrell
Chris Wells
Rashard Mendenhall

Joe McKnight, Jeremy Maclin, Michael Crabtree, CJ Spiller/James Davis, Mitch Mustain/Mark Sanchez, PJ Hill, Ryan Perilloux, Colt McCoy

Percy Harvin will make it a Gator back to back!

Necks_Fan
04-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Percy Harvin will make it a Gator back to back! Yea seeing as how he can't even run right now, much less be heisman candiddate, because they took a big bone out of his foot, that makes alot of sense.

Texas_Fight_05
04-15-2008, 01:19 PM
In the order of most potential to win it:
Knowshon Moreno (best back in the nation this upcoming year)
Tim Tebow (reigning champ can do it with his arm and feet - surrounded by playmakers)
Sam Bradford (phenomenal redshirt freshman year - put up spectacular numbers)
Michael Crabtree (can catch everything thrown his way - tremendous athlete)
Chase Daniel (if Missouri can make a run the way they did last year, he'll make another trip to the trophy presentation)

buffbaseball
04-15-2008, 01:31 PM
lets be realistic...if tim tebow does not die, he is going to win the heisman again. he is too big, too fast, has too strong of an arm, and too good of a supporting cast not to win it

Crow22
04-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Tim Tebow
Keyshawn Moreno
Sam Bradford
Chase Daniel
Pat White
Graham Harrell
Chris Wells
Rashard Mendenhall

Mendenhall is going to be a 1st round pick this year. Gonna be tough to win the Heisman while playing in the NFL.

Is "Keyshawn" Moreno the brother of "KNOWshon" Moreno?

Texas_Fight_05
04-21-2008, 10:17 PM
it's Knowshon Moreno who plays RB for Georgia. Keyshawn Moreno is non-existent (in the college football world, at least)

Emerson1
04-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Matt Stafford

kepdawg
04-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Riley Dodge

injuredinmelee
04-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Riley Dodge

thats funny stuff right there.

gatordaze
04-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Yea seeing as how he can't even run right now, much less be heisman candiddate, because they took a big bone out of his foot, that makes alot of sense.

Don't follw the sport much? Meyer said 100% by fall. He was one of the most electrifying players last year as a freshman with the bone spurs in his heel. Ya think without them he might be better? You must be one of Richts Leg Hummpers!

Texasfootball2
04-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Tim Tebow
Keyshawn Moreno
Sam Bradford
Chase Daniel
Pat White
Graham Harrell
Chris Wells
Rashard Mendenhall

I thing if Crabtree has another year like last year he will be a serious contender. Bad thing is, it is going to be hard for both Crabtree and Herrell to both make a good run being on the same team, especially at Tech. Not excatly a media hotspot.

Adidas410s
04-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah for some reason I could've swore that I read that Mendenhall decided not to go pro. I've since noticed in the past week that he is...:doh:

As far as Crabtree goes...he won't win the Heisman as just a WR. He'll have to start returning punts and kicks but as of now, he hasn't spent any time back there.

If Tech makes a run at the Big 12 this year then Graham Harrell will be the one heading to NYC. Maybe Crabtree gets an invite too if he finishes in the Top 4 as a way to acknowledge what he will have achieved over a 2 year period...but Harrell is a legit Heisman contender because he plays QB. If Tech goes 9-3, you don't see either guy in NYC. 10-2 (or better) and you'll probably see Harrell as a finalist for the award.

District303aPastPlayer
04-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Tim Tebow
Keyshawn Moreno
Sam Bradford
Chase Daniel
Pat White
Graham Harrell
Chris Wells
Rashard Mendenhall

Who in the blue hell is Keyshawn Moreno? Knowshawn Moreno at Georgia should win.

BwdLions
04-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Sam Bradford at OU is going to have a MONSTER year with Iglesias back as well. Going to be a lethal Duo on the field.

The sooners will be overrated again in 2008. Bradford will not be any good this year. If the sooners get lucky enough to get into another BCS game, they'll get hammered again (as usual).

District303aPastPlayer
04-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions
The sooners will be overrated again in 2008. Bradford will not be any good this year. If the sooners get lucky enough to get into another BCS game, they'll get hammered again (as usual).

http://www.nccga.org/images/logo_wv.jpghttp://www.nccga.org/images/logo_wv.jpghttp://www.nccga.org/images/logo_wv.jpghttp://www.nccga.org/images/logo_wv.jpghttp://www.nccga.org/images/logo_wv.jpghttp://www.nccga.org/images/logo_wv.jpg

District303aPastPlayer
04-22-2008, 10:00 AM
err... double post.

Adidas410s
04-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Who in the blue hell is Keyshawn Moreno? Knowshawn Moreno at Georgia should win.
Welcome to 3rd place on a typo...you're only a week late...:rolleyes:

Sweetwater Red
04-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah for some reason I could've swore that I read that Mendenhall decided not to go pro. I've since noticed in the past week that he is...:doh:

I have to admit I noticed it immediately. But only because that
is who many project the Lions to draft.

Fotbol
04-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Jeremy Sanders (Baylor)
will be one to watch!

Panther One
04-22-2008, 11:02 AM
For my homer pick...

Mike Goodson, Texas A&M

Realistically, I don't think he'll win it because we'll probably be an 8 or 9 win team, not receiving much national exposure, but if he stays healthy, I do think his name will be getting mentioned. Sherman seems to be intent on getting his playmakers the ball (which is a novel concept for a coach), and has already said Goodson needs the ball in his hands as much as possible, especially in space. He looked really good dotting the 'I' in the spring game...much better than running Fran's smoke draw. It's a longshot, as I think it'll go to a player on a better team, but don't be surprised to see his name being thrown around.

Adidas410s
04-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
For my homer pick...

Mike Goodson, Texas A&M

Realistically, I don't think he'll win it because we'll probably be an 8 or 9 win team, not receiving much national exposure, but if he stays healthy, I do think his name will be getting mentioned. Sherman seems to be intent on getting his playmakers the ball (which is a novel concept for a coach), and has already said Goodson needs the ball in his hands as much as possible, especially in space. He looked really good dotting the 'I' in the spring game...much better than running Fran's smoke draw. It's a longshot, as I think it'll go to a player on a better team, but don't be surprised to see his name being thrown around.

Get back to me when A&M wins 9 games and Goodson rushes for more than 850 yards in a season...

Goodson has had 2 games where he went for over 100 yards...OU in 2006 and ULM in 2007. Breaking 1000 yards on a mediocore team isn't going to get him any publicity at all. 57 guys went over 1000 yards last year and 101 guys had more rushing yards than Goodson.

However...it's admittedly a homer pick so I'll let it slide! :p

jlg043
04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Tim Tebow or Chase Daniel will take it....

Panther One
04-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Get back to me when A&M wins 9 games and Goodson rushes for more than 850 yards in a season...

Goodson has had 2 games where he went for over 100 yards...OU in 2006 and ULM in 2007. Breaking 1000 yards on a mediocore team isn't going to get him any publicity at all. 57 guys went over 1000 yards last year and 101 guys had more rushing yards than Goodson.

However...it's admittedly a homer pick so I'll let it slide! :p
If you hadn't noticed, A&M has a new coaching staff and a new offense, so the previous two years are pretty irrelevant in terms of predicting this season. If Fran were still at A&M, I would not have thrown Goodson's name out there, because it would be the same crap as last year. Goodson only averaged 11.8 carries per game last season, splitting carries with Lane and McGee in Fran's spread option attack. Lane has been moved to fullback, and we're no longer running the option, so Goodson is the feature back now. His carries will probably more than double. The new staff also wants to get him the ball more in the passing game, which is the primary reason I included him. I do think he'll top 1000 yards rushing, but I think what he'll bring to the passing game is what will get him noticed. We're not going to have great receivers, so Goodson will be a primary target.

In his one series in the spring game, Goodson had 8 carries for 58 yards and caught one pass for 17 yards. And yes, I understand this was in a scrimmage setting and not against a top defense, but I think it serves to show how he will be used this year. It won't be draws and option pitches to the short side of the field. It's going to be leads, sweeps, and counters. It's going to be screen passes out of the backfield, or getting him matched up on safeties and linebackers in the passing game.

I'll go ahead and bookmark this thread so that we can revisit it in November. If Goodson stays injury free and doesn't top 1000 yards rushing and 500 receiving, I'll change my sig to something Tech related.

Adidas410s
04-22-2008, 02:27 PM
I do think that he'll get over 1000 yards this year simply because he'll get more carries. However...I don't think you'll ever hear his name seriously mentioned for the Heisman. 500 yards receiving is a bit much though.

Since you said in November...are you saying by the beginning of November? If so, then he'll surely be in Heisman talk if he has 1000/500 by that time. However, if you're talking about after the Texas game...then that kind of performance won't get him noticed. In 2006, Shannon Woods had 926 rushing (5.1/carry) and 572 receiving (75 catches). Taurean Henderson pushed the envelope on these types of numbers for 4 years yet wasn't noticed at all. That's because when you play on an 8-4 or 9-3 team...nobody is that concerned unless you won the MNC the year before.

So if you're bet is through the end of the season...I'll take the bait if you include that A&M has to have at least 8 wins as well. I'll post an A&M sig of your choosing until the Big 12 Championship game if you're correct. You'll post a Tech sig of my choosing until the B12 Championship game if I'm correct.

BwdLions
04-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Mark my words, the aggies will be worse than they were last year. The coaching changes will not make much of a difference. As far as Goodson winning the Heisman, he won't even be mentioned (by the folks that matter).

17counter
04-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Ian Johnson (Boise St.)

cshscougar08
04-22-2008, 03:22 PM
I agree with whoever said the Heisman is Tim Tebow's to lose. Granted, he won't be making as many carries this year as he did last year due to Urban Meyer going to a 2 QB system like he did with Tebow as a freshman. He must have realized along with lots of us that Tebow, as strong and as bullish as he is, can't take that kind of beating over four years. I say good call on Meyer's part. Now we get to see Tebow put up the same stats, but with more passing numbers. I say he wins it again.

Texasfootball2
04-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Jeremy Sanders (Baylor)
will be one to watch!

Nobody has ever sniffed the Heisman from a team that will probably be .500 or below, and especially at a small private school located in Waco Tx.:D

Adidas410s
04-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Now to address some of your thoughts...

1. Goodson will be running behind a very inexperienced offensive line. Remember the complaints about how bad the o-line was last year? Well now you've got the guys that couldn't move ahead of the 07 starters on the depth chart.

2. A new coach and new system doesn't equal more wins. You still have the same "big 3" in McGee, Goodson, and Lane and they've yet to show that they can lead the Ags to success. You're working with the same overrated, under performing talent brought in by Fran.

3. You acknowledged yourself that A&M doesn't exactly have a "top defense." What reason do we have to believe that mediocore talent is going to be transformed into a top defense, while transferring to yet ANOTHER defensive scheme, in just one year?

3. Those three things combined don't add up to a team that's going to win 8+ games IMO.