PDA

View Full Version : 10 Worst sports cities

Emerson1
04-11-2008, 09:45 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/08/sports-atlanta-seattle-biz-sports_cx_tvr_af_0408sportsmisery_slide_2.html?thi sSpeed=30000

1. Atlanta
2. Seattle
3. Buffalo
4. Phoenix
5. San Diego
6. Houston
7. Denver
8. Cleveland
9. Philly
10. Minneapolis St-Paul Minnesota.

injuredinmelee
04-12-2008, 12:09 AM
How is LA not on that list?

yoemenkracker30
04-12-2008, 01:02 AM
lakers

Diocletian
04-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
How is LA not on that list?

look at what they are judging it by

it's 10 most miserable cities, i've been to almost all those cities and had a great time

i think this poll is just for sports team failure, and LA hasn't had much failure recently

Necks_Fan
04-12-2008, 09:12 AM
I don't even understand how Houston is on the list.

The Rockets have championships.

The dynamo have won the last 2.

Astros have had proven success over the last 15 years or so.

The Texans are a relativley new franchise but aern't "miserable."

Granted we have had no college success other than Rice baseball, but dang. 6th most miserable city???

I don't know. I guess they have stats and what not but, I wouldn't think so.

Diocletian
04-12-2008, 09:32 AM
It's pretty cut and dry, Houston just doesn't add up to the other cities evaluated for this poll

6. Houston, Texas
Teams: Texans (NFL), Oilers (NFL-AFL), Astros (MLB), Rockets (NBA)

Title round record: 4-4 (12th)

Semifinal round record: 5-8 (23rd)

Total seasons/early playoff-round exits (or baseball 2nd place): 126/40 (21st)

Total seasons/championships: 126/4 (18th)

Years since last title: 13 (13th)

Teams lost: 1 (Oilers)

Losing the NFL's Oilers in 1996 was no doubt severe emotional blow to football-crazy Texas fans. Baseball's Astros are still looking for their first championship since their birth in 1962; they're batting 0-for-9 in the post-season

Highschoolfan78
04-12-2008, 10:17 AM
What about Kansas City?

The Chiefs and The Royals have been lousy for years

Necks_Fan
04-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
What about Kansas City?

The Chiefs and The Royals have been lousy for years True that. KC sucks as fas as sports go.

LH Panther Mom
04-12-2008, 10:29 AM
What about Kansas City?

I believe I read somewhere that the Chiefs have gotten so bad, Burnet will no longer schedule them. :eek: :eek:

Sweetwater Red
04-12-2008, 10:38 AM
What about Kansas City?

I agree. They have been good since....

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/Okoye.jpg

and....

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/brett.jpg

coach
04-12-2008, 01:16 PM
san diego? how is that a bad city?

Sweetwater Red
04-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by coach

They made the list simply because the Chargers drafted Ryan Leaf.:thinking: ;)

Emerson1
04-12-2008, 01:35 PM
What makes it not a miserable sports city?

coach
04-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
What makes it not a miserable sports city?

have u ever been?

Emerson1
04-12-2008, 01:50 PM
have u ever been?

No

But 1 championship in 87 seasons(45 years ago) puts a city up on the list of miserable sports towns.

kepdawg
04-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Where's Dallas?

coach
04-12-2008, 01:54 PM
No

But 1 championship in 87 seasons(45 years ago) puts a city up on the list of miserable sports towns.

o i was looking at it as the city itself not the production of their sports team..my bad

Emerson1
04-12-2008, 01:55 PM
o i was looking at it as the city itself not the production of their sports team..my bad
Clicking on a link once in a while helps.

coach
04-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Clicking on a link once in a while helps.

lol i know...

Necks_Fan
04-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I think this is a flawed list. I think it should be overall wining % of all sports. Just because one team wins a few championships, doesn't make a city a great sports town. San Diego is good in football and baseball. Just not championship good. Doesn't make the city miderable because they can't win the big game.

A place like San Fran. What's great about it other than a few championships under Montana and co. Nothing since. The list is crap.

coach
04-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I think this is a flawed list. I think it should be overall wining % of all sports. Just because one team wins a few championships, doesn't make a city a great sports town. San Diego is good in football and baseball. Just not championship good. Doesn't make the city miderable because they can't win the big game.

A place like San Fran. What's great about it other than a few championships under Montana and co. Nothing since. The list is crap.

aka Dallas

HEMOTOXIC
04-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Why isn't MIAMI on this list. In fact, they should have been #1. Miami is the worst home base city for any professional sport.

PPHSfan
04-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
look at what they are judging it by

it's 10 most miserable cities, i've been to almost all those cities and had a great time

i think this poll is just for sports team failure, and LA hasn't had much failure recently

I HAVE been to all of those cities more than once and I can say without blinking that with the exception of San Diego, ALL of those cities are Miserable Places to visit.:D

Phil C
04-13-2008, 08:26 AM
What about Houston also winning the first 4 WNBA Championships. Plus their major league soccer team has won it two years in a row the past two years.

Necks_Fan
04-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
What about Houston also winning the first 4 WNBA Championships. Plus their major league soccer team has won it two years in a row the past two years. I brought up the soccer championships, but I had no idea about the WNBA championships.

Gobbla2001
04-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan

Won it with Young against San Diego, right?

I think Houston is a good deal on this list.... not a bad spot... tell me they're not, I listen to 610AM and almost all callers sound miserable... Texans are coming around and will be a playoff team soon, but the Mario Williams hate called were horrible up until about mid season last year, it's all they talked about The Oilers? Not only did they give up a huge lead and couldn't make the big game, they jumped town, left a football town with no football team, that doesn't help one be happy... the rockets aren't gunna get any worse I don't believe, but no second round since back to back championships? not supposed to be happy about that... plus just liten to the phone calls into the shows... it's craziness, has been all year, even during the streak half the fans still hadn't jumped on the bandwagon and were b-eye-tee-see-aeching about crap... The 'stros? dunno what their problem is now but think about it, until going to the NLCS and World Series with Andy Aechgeeaech and Roger Needleass, first round exits and a bad year here and there were getting tiresome... U of H? They've gotten better, and when they do the coach takes a better gig $$$$-wise... their basketball? NC State anyone? One of the best athletic teams in the history of college basketball came out of houston, and they were upset on a miracle shot...

Don't throw me Dynamo and Comets, though... good stories, great teams, but they're just not up front when you think of sports...

Bull's-eye
04-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
What about Houston also winning the first 4 WNBA Championships. Plus their major league soccer team has won it two years in a row the past two years.

Good point! The Oilers could of had a Super Bowl championship or two, if not for a very good team from Pittsburgh. They did win the first 2 AFL championships in 1960 & 1961.

Necks_Fan
04-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Won it with Young against San Diego, right?

I think Houston is a good deal on this list.... not a bad spot... tell me they're not, I listen to 610AM and almost all callers sound miserable... Texans are coming around and will be a playoff team soon, but the Mario Williams hate called were horrible up until about mid season last year, it's all they talked about The Oilers? Not only did they give up a huge lead and couldn't make the big game, they jumped town, left a football town with no football team, that doesn't help one be happy... the rockets aren't gunna get any worse I don't believe, but no second round since back to back championships? not supposed to be happy about that... plus just liten to the phone calls into the shows... it's craziness, has been all year, even during the streak half the fans still hadn't jumped on the bandwagon and were b-eye-tee-see-aeching about crap... The 'stros? dunno what their problem is now but think about it, until going to the NLCS and World Series with Andy Aechgeeaech and Roger Needleass, first round exits and a bad year here and there were getting tiresome... U of H? They've gotten better, and when they do the coach takes a better gig $$$$-wise... their basketball? NC State anyone? One of the best athletic teams in the history of college basketball came out of houston, and they were upset on a miracle shot...

Don't throw me Dynamo and Comets, though... good stories, great teams, but they're just not up front when you think of sports... I still think that just because you had a few good years in one sport doesn't make your ity a great sports town. I think overall wining % of all sports of all seasons is the way it should be calculated. Not by playoff success of 3 sports.

Bull's-eye
04-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Where's Dallas?

The Cowboys have the 5 Super Bowl wins, but what have the Rangers & Mavericks done? Dallas doesn't make the list only because of the Cowboys, but overall they aren't that good when you consider all the teams.

Bull's-eye
04-13-2008, 10:24 AM
How can Houston be worse than Cleveland? :thinking: