PDA

View Full Version : Austin People (or anyone else in the "know")

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 04:24 PM
When we go to the State track meet this year, it will be my daughter's first time to see Austin.

What "different" types of restaurants do you recommend?

Nothing too pricey, but something fun and/or different.

I remember back in the day when we would visit Austin, we always went to "Holiday House??" (I think that was the name)...it had birds and alligators!!

Another place we loved was "The Magic Time Machine".

Both of those are shut down now.

Any suggestions???

Old Tiger
04-11-2008, 04:30 PM
um....there are a lot of "fun" places :D

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
um....there are a lot of "fun" places :D

Grrrr!!!

I want to take her some place that she wouldn't see in Midland.....but not a strip club or bar......you know what I mean!!:mad: :mad:

3afan
04-11-2008, 04:33 PM
HERE YA GO ... (http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/)

BreckTxLonghorn
04-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
When we go to the State track meet this year, it will be my daughter's first time to see Austin.

I remember back in the day when we would visit Austin, we always went to "Holiday House??" (I think that was the name)...it had birds and alligators!!

Any suggestions???

--Kerbey Lane is a staple for breakfast, open 24 hrs, and 3 locations.
--Hula Hut is really fun b/c its right on the lake. Kind of pricy though, but not like the price you'd pay for eating at a nice restaurant d/t.
--Dirty's is right on campus and has been around FOREVER. Nothing really different about it other than its just so old, and everyone knows it.
--NxNW is off of 360/Mopac and has its own micro-brew serving 6 types of beer. Good food too, but more pricey. I'd only go here for appetizers and drinks.
--Shady Grove always makes me feel very "Austin-ish" when I go. Its next to a trailer park (or where one was before they got moved for zoning), so its kind of eclectic, but a great outdoor area.
--Alamo Drafthouse--if only because your dinner comes with a movie or singalong (i.e. big 80s, 1 hit wonders, etc)!
--If you're at the track meet, you'd be missing out if you didn't at least stop by Scholz beer garden. Warning: it gets packed with coaches when the meet ends.

Honestly, I can't think of anything 'different' like the examples you've given. A lot of Austin restaurants now pride themselves more on their different cuisine than crazy decor. Hope this helps, if you have more questions, let me know.

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
HERE YA GO ... (http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/)

A museum cafe??

Old Tiger
04-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Grrrr!!!

I want to take her some place that she wouldn't see in Midland.....but not a strip club or bar......you know what I mean!!:mad: :mad: Take her down 6th street, 5th street(some), and congress ave.

injuredinmelee
04-11-2008, 04:39 PM
for the best Mexican food in Austin try this lace right across the street from St. Edwards U.
El Gallo (http://www.elgallorestaurant.com/)

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
--Kerbey Lane is a staple for breakfast, open 24 hrs, and 3 locations.
--Hula Hut is really fun b/c its right on the lake. Kind of pricy though, but not like the price you'd pay for eating at a nice restaurant d/t.
--Dirty's is right on campus and has been around FOREVER. Nothing really different about it other than its just so old, and everyone knows it.
--NxNW is off of 360/Mopac and has its own micro-brew serving 6 types of beer. Good food too, but more pricey. I'd only go here for appetizers and drinks.
--Shady Grove always makes me feel very "Austin-ish" when I go. Its next to a trailer park (or where one was before they got moved for zoning), so its kind of eclectic, but a great outdoor area.
--Alamo Drafthouse--if only because your dinner comes with a movie or singalong (i.e. big 80s, 1 hit wonders, etc)!
--If you're at the track meet, you'd be missing out if you didn't at least stop by Scholz beer garden. Warning: it gets packed with coaches when the meet ends.

Honestly, I can't think of anything 'different' like the examples you've given. A lot of Austin restaurants now pride themselves more on their different cuisine than crazy decor. Hope this helps, if you have more questions, let me know.

I am not sure how "Austin-ish" I wanna feel!!:eek: :eek:

We will probably eat somewhere that Friday night.....and then between meets on Saturday!!

I will check out further some of those you listed....thanks!!

Old Tiger
04-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Hula Hut is the shiz...

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 04:42 PM
I just ran across this thread!!

I will have to give it a look-see too!! (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=57018&highlight=margarita)

ASUFrisbeeStud
04-11-2008, 04:43 PM
I love PF Changs

BreckTxLonghorn
04-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Mighty Fine Burgers and Fries is also very good. Very simple menu, great shakes, and the ONLY place in texas that serves fresh cut crinkle fries. Its from the people who created Rudy's, so the setup is the same.

And the mirrors in the dining area is a 2way seen from the guys restroom. And they have the clean hands machine.

I love this place.

Old Tiger
04-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Baby A's is pretty fun on the weekends. They usually have a band there and it's close to the track stadium.

LionKing
04-11-2008, 04:53 PM
BreckTxLonghorn gave some good places for you to try Ranger Mom, if you have a liitle time, 6th street is an experience at night, or my first time to see it was, they don't say ''Keep Austin Weird'' for nothing.
On your way out, get you some Krispy Kreme Doughnuts at the one on US 183, we always do.
The Magic Time Machine, man, now that brings back memories, the potty patrol and everything.

Old Tiger
04-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by LionKing
BreckTxLonghorn gave some good places for you to try Ranger Mom, if you have a liitle time, 6th street is an experience at night, or my first time to see it was, they don't say ''Keep Austin Weird'' for nothing.
On your way out, get you some Krispy Kreme Doughnuts at the one on US 183, we always do.
The Magic Time Machine, man, now that brings back memories, the potty patrol and everything. 6th street is fun but her daughter is underaged.

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Baby A's is pretty fun on the weekends. They usually have a band there and it's close to the track stadium.

I think the first year we went to the track meet we stayed in motel RIGHT beside it!!

They had a good band that Friday night....classic rock baby!!!

BreckTxLonghorn
04-11-2008, 04:57 PM
6th street is fun but her daughter is underaged.

And any place on 6th that will let people under-21 in, is NOT the type of place you want to associate with. At least the places I've seen weren't.

ASUFrisbeeStud
04-11-2008, 04:59 PM

I like Baby A's, have you ever been in the bar area and looked at the cieling?

LionKing
04-11-2008, 05:02 PM
6th street is fun but her daughter is underaged. I know, but you can still go down 6th street to look.

Antec
04-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Catfish Kitchen

Matt's El Rancho

Threadgills-The One on South Lamar

Magnolia Cafe On South Congress - Great Breakfast

leecofans
04-11-2008, 06:12 PM
We really like Hill's Cafe... They have a peach cobbler made with Round Rock doughnuts (better than KK!!!). The live music is always great, too.

http://www.hillscafe.com/

Blastoderm55
04-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Stubb's BBQ
Player's (Burgers)
Hut's (Burgers)
Baby Acapulco (Puffy tacos)

piratebg
04-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by LionKing
I know, but you can still go down 6th street to look.

I agree. Plus there is some pretty good pizza and an awesome taco place called Torchy's if you get hungry. Just walking down 6th St is an adventure in itself. :D

STANG RED
04-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Go to the corner of Barton Springs road and 1st street. There is a Chuy's there and 2 other restaurants that I cant recall there names. They are all good, fun, and different from anything you'll find in Midland. There are also several neat little cafes and restaurants downtown around Lamar, 1st, & Congress between 3rd and 6th. And if your real lucky you might even run across Lesley. If you do, none of you will ever forget the experience.:D I guarantee Midland has never seen anything like Lesley.:D

j_dog
04-11-2008, 09:37 PM
I heard the Bush daughters used to like Chuy's. :D :p

Actually, it is pretty good for a chain.

j_dog
04-11-2008, 09:40 PM
For "different" there used to be a place called Paggi House near Barton Springs.

Their escargot was DELICIOUS, as was the roast duck. But perhaps a bit pricey. But I don't even know if they are still in business. That was twenty years ago. :( :D

j_dog
04-11-2008, 09:41 PM
excuse me, i see now that you were just asking austin people. sorry. :(

espn1
04-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Hula Hut is the shiz... I'm not sure what that means but the food absolutely sucks.

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
excuse me, i see now that you were just asking austin people. sorry. :(

Sorry...now I have to go back and edit!!:D

Phantom Stang
04-11-2008, 09:48 PM
If anyone i knows of a place that has a Chicken Fried Steak that's EXACTLY like the Stallion(now closed) used to serve, in both texture and taste, I would greatly appreciate you letting me know about it.:)

DU_stud04
04-11-2008, 09:50 PM
i like david's barbque. Lambert's cafe was also a great experience.... that place is great, just dont get hit in the face.

STANG RED
04-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
If anyone i knows of a place that has a Chicken Fried Steak that's EXACTLY like the Stallion(now closed) used to serve, in both texture and taste, I would greatly appreciate you letting me know about it.:) There is an old drive in on north chadbourne in San Angelo that has the best chicken fried steak and/or steak fingers you will ever have. They are always 100% pure tenderized round steak with extra thick batter. Not a soy bean in sight!
Its somewhere about the 12 or 1300 block of north chadbourne I think. Not far from the old Western Skies Steakhouse but on the other side of the street.

CHS_Grad '85
04-11-2008, 10:16 PM
My vote is for Threadgill's or Chuy's... when I visit Austin that's the two that I just have to visit...

Snyder_TigerFan
04-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Go to the corner of Barton Springs road and 1st street. There is a Chuy's there and 2 other restaurants that I cant recall there names. They are all good, fun, and different from anything you'll find in Midland. There are also several neat little cafes and restaurants downtown around Lamar, 1st, & Congress between 3rd and 6th. And if your real lucky you might even run across Lesley. If you do, none of you will ever forget the experience.:D I guarantee Midland has never seen anything like Lesley.:D

This is a good recomendation. That should give a good taste of the Austin life style.

Scholar
04-11-2008, 10:22 PM
I like Jaime's Mexican Restaurant on 8th Street.

Phantom Stang
04-11-2008, 10:23 PM
There is an old drive in on north chadbourne in San Angelo that has the best chicken fried steak and/or steak fingers you will ever have. They are always 100% pure tenderized round steak with extra thick batter. Not a soy bean in sight!
Its somewhere about the 12 or 1300 block of north chadbourne I think. Not far from the old Western Skies Steakhouse but on the other side of the street.
Thanks, I'll check that out sometime. Don't know when I'll be in Angelo again tho.

sinton66
04-11-2008, 10:33 PM
If you're in the mood for BBQ, try any one of about four Rudy's in the area. Pretty decent for oak smoked.

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85
My vote is for Threadgill's or Chuy's... when I visit Austin that's the two that I just have to visit...

We went there last year I think!! I can't remember much about the food but that was the WORST maragarita I have ever tried to drink!!

BreckTxLonghorn
04-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by espn1
I'm not sure what that means but the food absolutely sucks.

Disagree. The menu can be hit or miss, but the fajitas are amazing, which is what I always get, which is why I love going there.

Snyder_TigerFan
04-11-2008, 10:53 PM
We went there last year I think!! I can't remember much about the food but that was the WORST maragarita I have ever tried to drink!!

Threadgill's or Chuy's? I'm not a margarita drinker, but I've heard Chuy's margaritas are hard to beat. Trudy's might be another one to check out....supposedly they have very good drinks.

Careful introducing your daughter to Austin, Ranger Mom, she'll want to move down there soon. I did.

LH Panther Mom
04-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Another good Mexican food place is Jorge's on Hancock Dr. Their fajitas rock!

j_dog
04-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
If you're in the mood for BBQ, try any one of about four Rudy's in the area. Pretty decent for oak smoked.
Oak smoked? So THAT is what I never liked about Rudy's.

Rudy's is just tourist bbq. Oh, that will be ok, you WILL be tourists. ;)

She probably might be happier at a Fudruckers. I know I would be. :)

and if she wins at state, she will be so happy, you could take her to Burger King, or Whataburger and she won't even notice. :clap:

ProudHornetMom
04-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Vivo's on east Manor just a few blocks from IH 35 and the stadium. Great atmosphere, great food and each female customer gets a long stem rose...don't laugh...it's pretty cool especially for teen girls.

injuredinmelee
04-12-2008, 01:00 AM
but it is imperative that you go to Round Rock and get RR donuts.

pirate4state
04-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
If you're in the mood for BBQ, try any one of about four Rudy's in the area. Pretty decent for oak smoked. Forget Rudy's...Driftwood isn't too far away...Salt Lick is 100x better than Rudy's!

STANG RED
04-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Forget Rudy's...Driftwood isn't too far away...Salt Lick is 100x better than Rudy's!

Aint that the truth! But she'll never find it, and it's a pretty far drive from the stadium.

HippoBaseball05
04-12-2008, 02:57 AM
Dart Bowl.

Right across the street from McCallum High School just off Koenig.

BreckTxLonghorn
04-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05
Dart Bowl.

Right across the street from McCallum High School just off Koenig.

The most amazing greasy enchiladas I ever had.

pirate4state
04-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Aint that the truth! But she'll never find it, and it's a pretty far drive from the stadium. Yes it is, but it could be their Friday night dinner spot. :D I hope to be there and I know where it is! She can just follow me.

rockdale80
04-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Best BBQ in/near Austin is Saltlick.
Threadgills is awesome. The Friday lunch special is King Ranch Chicken and it is amazing.
Tomo and Beluga have great sushi.
The Boiling Pot on 6th is good seafood.

There are also several places near The Domain that are good to eat at (Kona Grill, McCormick and Schnicks, Joe DiMaggio's). There are also several parks, LBJ library, campus, etc... that are neat to go see if you are feeling touristy. 6th street during the day looks like a house after a night of partying....its just dirty.

clyde1520
04-12-2008, 12:55 PM
if you want bbq, i like rudys
mexican- chuys
burgers- fuddruckers
Freebirds is great burritos

sweetwater07
04-12-2008, 02:10 PM
after yall eat and yall want some dessert and or coffee i would really recommend Mozarts, its all the way down 15th street going towards downtown from 183 or 35....its a coffee/dessert bar with a totally sweet outside area thats two levels right on a lake with live acoustic music most nights......its one of my favorite places to hang out in Austin

JT44
04-12-2008, 06:19 PM
ART'S RIB HOUSE- I was just in Austin this week for work, it's off Lamar just across the town lake bridge. Great Prices!

Also, don't go to the Rio restaurant...it's the old Real World House, not very authentic mexican food...it wasn't that bad, but if it weren't sort of a tourist attraction for younger people it probably wouldn't last

Snydertigersrul
04-12-2008, 07:56 PM

Any suggestions???

Take a trip and check out the places on fifth and sixth street, there is nothing like them in Midland

SintonFan_inAustin
04-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
but it is imperative that you go to Round Rock and get RR donuts. :) good thing i checked the downlow before i leave Round Rock, i almost forgot to pick up some Round Rock donuts. Then to the flea market before i head back home.

Chopblock
04-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
Oak smoked? So THAT is what I never liked about Rudy's.

Rudy's is just tourist bbq. Oh, that will be ok, you WILL be tourists. ;)

She probably might be happier at a Fudruckers. I know I would be. :)

and if she wins at state, she will be so happy, you could take her to Burger King, or Whataburger and she won't even notice. :clap:
Drive 23 miles east on 290 to elgin, I will meet you at Crosstown BBQ, Downtown, where the homefolk eat, or go to El Rancho in Austin and Threadgills isn't a bad choice

rockdale80
04-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Aint that the truth! But she'll never find it, and it's a pretty far drive from the stadium.

But it is worth it.... Best BBQ I have ever eaten...

except for my mom's;)

ILS1
04-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
But it is worth it.... Best BBQ I have ever eaten...

except for my mom's;)

The are opening a Salt Lick in the parking lot of the Dell Diamond in Round Rock. Heard rumors that it should be ready in June. Hopefully, in time for the State Baseball Tournament!!!

:D :D :D