PDA

View Full Version : Report: Teens Behind Florida YouTube Attack to Be Charged as Adults

BuffyMars
04-11-2008, 09:55 AM
i need to get to work.

The seven Florida teens accused in the "animalistic attack" filmed for YouTube are to be tried as adults, WFTV.com reported Thursday.

Mercades Nichols, 17, Brittini Hardcastle, 17, and Britney Mayes, 17, face charges of felonious battery, false imprisonment and kidnapping in connection with the attack. Cara Murphy, 16, Kayla Hassell, 15, April Cooper, 14, Zachary Ashley, 17, and Stephen Schumaker, 18, face charges of felonious battery and false imprisonment.

Police said Victoria Lindsay, 16, was attacked on March 30 by six teenage girls when she arrived at a friend's home.

One of the girls struck her on the head several times and then slammed Lindsay's head into a wall, knocking her unconscious, according to an arrest report.

Later, according to a clip of the video that was released by the Polk County Sheriff's Office, the teens can be seen blocking a door and hitting her.

A Polk County judge issued a gag order Wednesday in the case, after parents of some of the teens and Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd appeared on national TV shows discussing the case this week.

RelatedStories
Report: Teen Beaten in YouTube Attack to Be Homeschooled 8 Teens Charged With Attacking Girl for YouTube Video Video
Internet Beating Photo Essays
Teens Charged in YouTube Attack Three of the teens are additionally charged with tampering with a witness.

Click here for video.

Click here to see photographs of the suspects.

Meanwhile, a central Florida couple claim they are being hounded by angry callers who mistakenly think they're connected to the notorious videotaped beating of the girl.

Darlene and Jerry Ashley's phone number was mistakenly posted by a user of the YouTube video-sharing Web site, along with the numbers of the other teens charged in the beating.

Callers think the Lakeland couple are the parents of one of the teen boys involved who has the same last name.

They say they have gotten around 300 angry, abusive calls from all over the country Wednesday.

A judge has ordered most everyone involved with the case to stop talking to the media about it.
http://www.foxnews.com/images/362127/3_62_040808_FlTeenFight02_320.jpg

something tells me they didnt see this one coming.

eppy 12
04-11-2008, 09:59 AM
i say put them in a locked room and let them go at each other..:mad:

kaorder1999
04-11-2008, 09:59 AM
that is awesome....they all needed to be charges as adults....good job Florida!

Sweetwater Red
04-11-2008, 10:08 AM
I see eight women in the picture. Atleast that will be the case
after the first week all of them are in prison.:thinking:

Phil C
04-11-2008, 10:10 AM
The thing is they are all young and if you send them to prison you risk that they become criminals. A good stern chewing out by the judge and police would probably straighten them out. As for the Victim - don't post bad things about other people on your internet web site.

Shame on everyone!

eppy 12
04-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I see eight women in the picture. Atleast that will be the case
after the first week all of them are in prison.:thinking: yep.....http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/tigfag.jpg

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars

something tells me they didnt see this one coming.

No joke.....talk about backfiring!!!

I wonder what the guys will be charged with since they stood outside as "look-out"??

I don't see how they can charge them will assault....unlawful imprisonment maybe?

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
The thing is they are all young and if you send them to prison you risk that they become criminals. A good stern chewing out by the judge and police would probably straighten them out. As for the Victim - don't post bad things about other people on your internet web site.

Shame on everyone!

Oh Phil, Phil, Phil!! :doh:

Being thrown in jail didn't seem to phase them one iota....I don't think a "chewing out" is gonna put them back on straight path either!

pirate4state
04-11-2008, 10:15 AM

Shame on everyone!

News flash...they became criminals the minute they beat up that girl!

kaorder1999
04-11-2008, 10:16 AM
people with that mentality...of beating people for fun....cannot be simply straightened out. They need jail time or prison time.

Phil C
04-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Hey! I remember when I was a teen and I got a little out of line my father gave me a stern talking too and when finished I made sure not to ever repeat that behavior. Don't underestimate the influence of a good stern talking too.

kaorder1999
04-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Hey! I remember when I was a teen and I got a little out of line my father gave me a stern talking too and when finished I made sure not to ever repeat that behavior. Don't underestimate the influence of a good stern talking too.

was that stern talking to after a felony battery or false imprisonment and kidnapping arrest?

eppy 12
04-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
News flash...they became criminals the minute they beat up that girl! http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/doh.jpg

Phil C
04-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
was that stern talking to after a felony battery or false imprisonment and kidnapping arrest?

Well it was for such things as coming home home ten minutes late.

Phil C
04-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Also another time was for not taking the garbage outside timely.

Texasfootball2
04-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Our society has become all to easy and the criminal justice system sucks!:mad: If we don't start cracking down with very stiff punishments for this type of behavior it's going to continue to get worse. Our society has to somehow take a stand and start trying to teach the youth of today to respect authority and that these types of premeditated lawless acts will carry some stiff punishment. What ever they do, it probably won't be enough, and most of them will probably be a repeat offender in some way.

eppy 12
04-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Also another time was for not taking the garbage outside timely. that happened to me once, i told my stepdad to bite me.

Phil C
04-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Talk about extremist. An old man once told me many years ago what we need to do with petty criminals (he meant those that didn't do too big an offense but one that needed correction) was to have them horsewhipped publicly in front of the courthouse or jail. He said that would straighten out a lot of people like they did in the old days.

:eek:

NastySlot
04-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Our society has become all to easy and the criminal justice system sucks!:mad: If we don't start cracking down with very stiff punishments for this type of behavior it's going to continue to get worse. Our society has to somehow take a stand and start trying to teach the youth of today to respect authority and that these types of premeditated lawless acts will carry some stiff punishment. What ever they do, it probably won't be enough, and most of them will probably be a repeat offender in some way.

It all starts at home with the parents......thing is most parents are just as big of morons as their kids....they always want to blame someone else......or claim that someone is just picking on their kid....when they are disciplined at school.........freakin be responsible....my dad would have beat my a $ $ for some of the stuff I get on students about in the hall and in the classroom.................with my own children....I use the guilty til proven innocent method........it worked for my dad.

eppy 12
04-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Talk about extremist. An old man once told me many years ago what we need to do with petty criminals (he meant those that didn't do too big an offense but one that needed correction) was to have them horsewhipped publicly in front of the courthouse or jail. He said that would straighten out a lot of people like they did in the old days.

:eek: can't do that. remember a few years back when that american student was flogged in tiawan? almost a freakin' act of war! i do, however realize that public embarassment can straighten a child out more often than not. as long as they don't come back and shotgun you as you sleep!

Texasfootball2
04-11-2008, 10:55 AM

This is not the 60's or 70's when kids still respected authority. Most kids today are totally unaffected by butt chewings. It's not totally the kids fault. This generation of young parents do not discipline their kids from the beginning for lots of reason. Many kids are practically raised by babysitters, daycare, and nannies because both parents work or a single parent works two different jobs. The Law and the criminal justice system is the only resource that has any affect on many kids. I see this all the time. I teach at an alternative school and the one person in most of these kids lives who has any control over them and who gets any respect is their PO as they call them ( parole officer ). It's sad , but thats the world we live in.

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I remember getting spanked....me AND my brother and sister because someone squeezed a tube of something all over the brand new paneled walls. My dad said he was gonna spank us til someone admitted to it.....after the round circle of spankings my brother FINALLY admitted to it....(come to find out a few days later, it was my sister, my brother just said he did because he was tired of getting spanked!!)

When I complained about it, my dad said, "oh well, I'm sure you have done something you weren't supposed to and didn't get caught, so you can apply that spanking toward that."

That would NEVER fly in this day and age.

eppy 12
04-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I remember getting spanked....me AND my brother and sister because someone squeezed a tube of something all over the brand new paneled walls. My dad said he was gonna spank us til someone admitted to it.....after the round circle of spankings my brother FINALLY admitted to it....(come to find out a few days later, it was my sister, my brother just said he did because he was tired of getting spanked!!)

When I complained about it, my dad said, "oh well, I'm sure you have done something you weren't supposed to and didn't get caught, so you can apply that spanking toward that."

That would NEVER fly in this day and age. hhmmmmmm, mom spanked....mmmm:p

Curly
04-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Please say you are kidding.

The parents of these kids should have been talking to thier kids (sternly or maybe just plain talking to them) long before this attack took place...
At some point however "Personal Accoutability" & being responsible for ones own actions has to be learned. At this point in time I doubt a "Stern Talking too" would have much effect.

pirate4state
04-11-2008, 11:13 AM

That would NEVER fly in this day and age.

What do you mean it would never fly in this day & age???

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 11:16 AM
What do you mean it would never fly in this day & age???

I can just see a kid reporting their parent spanking them (with a belt, at that) for what ended up being for NO reason!!

Me and my brother didn't do anything, but my dad was gonna "beat" (and I use that term loosely) the truth out of us!

I never thought he was a mean man and still don't to this day!!

But I can see CPS swooping in on something like this....have seen them come in on way less!!

pirate4state
04-11-2008, 11:18 AM
I can just see a kid reporting their parent spanking them (with a belt, at that) for what ended up being for NO reason!!

Me and my brother didn't do anything, but my dad was gonna "beat" (and I use that term loosely) the truth out of us!

But I can see CPS swooping in on something like this....have seen them come in on way less!!

I gotcha. Then that kid would get another spanking! :D LOL

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 11:21 AM
I gotcha. Then that kid would get another spanking! :D LOL

Unless they got taken in "protective custody" first!!!

:rolleyes:

44INAROW
04-11-2008, 11:22 AM
News flash...they became criminals the minute they beat up that girl!
amen

pirate4state
04-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Unless they got taken in "protective custody" first!!!

:rolleyes:

I would comment further, but I don't want to field multiple PMs! :eek: :devil: :D

Reds fan
04-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
This is not the 60's or 70's when kids still respected authority. Most kids today are totally unaffected by butt chewings. It's not totally the kids fault. This generation of young parents do not discipline their kids from the beginning for lots of reason. Many kids are practically raised by babysitters, daycare, and nannies because both parents work or a single parent works two different jobs. The Law and the criminal justice system is the only resource that has any affect on many kids. I see this all the time. I teach at an alternative school and the one person in most of these kids lives who has any control over them and who gets any respect is their PO as they call them ( parole officer ). It's sad , but thats the world we live in.

50's and 60's maybe, but authority was being rebuked by youth in the 70's.... we reap what we sow...:(

Curly
04-11-2008, 11:24 AM

CPS and the Game Warden
The 2 most powerful agencys in the state without a doubt
CPS can take your kids on a suspiscion of the flimsiest kind

and a Game Warden does not have to have a warrant to enter you home

That is why the Game Wardens were present at the Eldorado Compound when CPS took the 400+ children

Don't misunderstand me I think the kids need to be protected, and the best way to get them out was to use the 2 most powerful agencies in the state.

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't have a problem with either organization....they have hard jobs and very overworked!!

You read that parents try too hard to be "friends" with their kids, not punish them...blah blah blah.........and then on the other hand, you hear about people getting the cops called on them for swatting their kid on the butt in Wal-Mart!!!

You can't have it both ways!!!

I didn't bust my kids butts in public, but they darn sure got them busted when they got home, if needed!!

pirate4state
04-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I don't have a problem with either organization....they have hard jobs and very overworked!!

You read that parents try too hard to be "friends" with their kids, not punish them...blah blah blah.........and then on the other hand, you hear about people getting the cops called on them for swatting their kid on the butt in Wal-Mart!!!

You can't have it both ways!!!

I didn't bust my kids butts in public, but they darn sure got them busted when they got home, if needed!!

Shoot, I always got "the talk" in the car before going into a public place. "If you ask for something & I say "no" so help you if you throw a fit!" I tried it ONCE & learned my lesson! :D

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Shoot, I always got "the talk" in the car before going into a public place. "If you ask for something & I say "no" so help you if you throw a fit!" I tried it ONCE & learned my lesson! :D

My mom would always pinch us under the arm......YEOUCH!!!!!

pirate4state
04-11-2008, 11:41 AM
My mom would always pinch us under the arm......YEOUCH!!!!! :devil: I got those in church alot...:( Sadly, I never really learned that lesson. A few times I thought I'd be "cute" and say really loud "MOM, QUIT PINCHING ME!" yeah, my dad din't think it was funny.

NastySlot
04-11-2008, 11:46 AM
:devil: I got those in church alot...:( Sadly, I never really learned that lesson. A few times I thought I'd be "cute" and say really loud "MOM, QUIT PINCHING ME!" yeah, my dad din't think it was funny.

reminds me of the worst whooping i ever got.....during ccd classes the nun asked me to recite prayers and i didn't know them...she asked why i didn't know them....well thinking i couldn't lie to a nun.....it would be like lying to God...i told her i was to busy playing....we'll she told my dad who thought i was being a smart ^$$ and proceded to give me a good whoopin with the belt........should have lied and asked God for forgiveness later.

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 11:46 AM
:devil: I got those in church alot...:( Sadly, I never really learned that lesson. A few times I thought I'd be "cute" and say really loud "MOM, QUIT PINCHING ME!" yeah, my dad din't think it was funny.

ROFL!! That was definitely a church thing!! You could always tell when one of us would get pinched by the way our bodies would contort....two pinches and we could count on a butt bustin when we got home!! :D

pirate4state
04-11-2008, 11:50 AM
ROFL!! That was definitely a church thing!! You could always tell when one of us would get pinched by the way our bodies would contort....two pinches and we could count on a butt bustin when we got home!! :D My biggest problem was my parents wanted to sit up front ( :rolleyes: ) and I always liked to "people watch" so every time I heard the door open I'd turn around to see who it was & what they were wearing (LOL). I didn't understand what the big deal was, mass hadn't started yet! :mad:

Phil C
04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
My biggest problem was my parents wanted to sit up front ( :rolleyes: ) and I always liked to "people watch" so every time I heard the door open I'd turn around to see who it was & what they were wearing (LOL). I didn't understand what the big deal was, mass hadn't started yet! :mad:

P4S I admire the Catholic Church.

BuffyMars
04-11-2008, 12:38 PM
i am a strong supporter of corporal punishment. my parents whooped me, and i plan on whooping my kids. and i got grounded. i know for a fact my mother straightened me out a time or two, and she was creative! she couldn't find a belt so she took a dryer hose to my rear!

plain and simple.

LH Panther Mom
04-11-2008, 01:39 PM

Shame on everyone!
No, shame on the kids who thought this would even remotely be a good idea. Shame on the parents for not teaching them any better. And shame on you for not realizing that this isn't some little petty disagreement between the kids.

SWMustang
04-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
i am a strong supporter of corporal punishment. my parents whooped me, and i plan on whooping my kids. and i got grounded. i know for a fact my mother straightened me out a time or two, and she was creative! she couldn't find a belt so she took a dryer hose to my rear!

plain and simple.

Beat the crap out of your kids - they'll thank you for it later in life.

Silverback 04
04-11-2008, 05:39 PM
My Dad had a way of turning me into a muddy spot without making me feel like he hated me. I think you have to have a good Parent to Child relationship and teach them right from wrong. If this happens, the kid understands that they did wrong and that the punishment will follow. And of course, don't spare the rod!

I used to laugh/cry as my Dad prepared to thrash me with the belt of his choosing while uttering this gem, "this is gonna hurt me more than it hurts you." Are you kidding me! As a parent I absolutely believe he knew what he was saying because it kills me to punish/thrash my kids, but I know if I don't do it, I'm doing them no favor.

My 2 cents.

IHStangFan
04-11-2008, 08:05 PM
GOOD!

Theres a few things kids of today seem to lack: most importantly... respect for authority/the law, & respect for others.

I say make examples of them and hit them w/ the book.

butchdawg
04-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Beat the crap out of your kids - they'll thank you for it later in life. amen