PDA

View Full Version : Civil rights leader convicted of incest

kaorder1999
04-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Civil rights leader convicted of incest

05:16 PM CDT on Thursday, April 10, 2008

Associated Press

A jury convicted an iconic civil-rights figure of incest Thursday after concluding that he had sex with his teenage daughter 15 years ago. The Rev. James L. Bevel, 71, a top lieutenant to Martin Luther King Jr. who also helped organize the Million Man March, faces up to 20 years in prison when he is sentenced.

The four-day trial in Loudoun County Circuit Court included bizarre testimony about Bevel's philosophies for eradicating lust, and parents' duty to "sexually orient" their children.

Bevel's daughter testified that she was repeatedly molested by Bevel beginning when she was just 6 years old, culminating in an act of sexual intercourse in 1993 or 1994 that formed the basis of the incest charge.

Jurors heard a phone call between Bevel and his daughter in which he never explicitly admits to sexual intercourse but seems to take for granted that it occurred. During the call he explains the importance of teaching his daughter "the science of marriage" and admits that he did not want her to get pregnant after the incident.

Family members who confronted Bevel in 2004 testified that Bevel read a written accusation by his daughter and replied that he did not contest the facts she laid out.

But Bevel denied the charge on the witness stand. He testified that his family mistakenly perceived his refusal to deny the specific allegations against him as an admission of guilt.

Public defender Bonnie Hoffman urged the jury to ignore evidence that Bevel led an unconventional, communal lifestyle in which he taught that it was parents' duty to "sexually orient" their children.

Instead, she told the jury to focus on the single incident for which Bevel was charged: an act of sexual intercourse that occurred in 1993 or 1994 while the daughter was a teenager and was living with her father in Leesburg.

Hoffman said there were questions about the timeline — the daughter said she could not recall exactly what year the act occurred, and her recollection of when she lived in Virginia did not fully mesh with school records and other testimony.

Hoffman also questioned why the daughter returned to voluntarily live with her father after the alleged incest. The daughter testified that she went back because she had nowhere else to go.

Prosecutor Nicole Wittmann warned the jury against getting confused by Bevel's sometimes convoluted explanations of his philosophies and his justifications for his actions.

"There's no excuse for his philosophy in the law, or whether he's eccentric, or whether he's an historical figure. ... There's no exception" Wittmann said.

The Associated Press generally does not identify the victims of sexual abuse. The daughter is one of 16 children Bevel said he has had with several different women.

In the 1960s, Bevel was a leader in the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), two of the stalwart organizations that led efforts to desegregate the South.

In 1992, he was vice presidential running mate to political maverick Lyndon LaRouche, who has a home in Loudoun County but at the time was in a federal prison for a tax conviction.

BwdLions
04-11-2008, 09:06 AM
They need to castorate the sorry low-life and be done with the problem.

BuffyMars
04-11-2008, 09:43 AM
what is wrong with people!!!???!!!! :mad:

pirate4state
04-11-2008, 10:05 AM
ewwwwww......

16 children by different women!!! :eek: :eek:

No telling how many of his other children suffered the same fate! :mad:

injuredinmelee
04-11-2008, 10:14 AM
hang him from his.. well you know and let all his children use him as a pinata.

kaorder1999
04-11-2008, 10:15 AM
I hope his rights get HIGHLY violated in prison.

Fotbol
04-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Hey I would post something, but according to the rules this is a Political topic!:rolleyes:

injuredinmelee
04-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Hey I would post something, but according to the rules this is a Political topic!:rolleyes:

how is it a political topic? or what you really meant to say was I want to turn this into a racial topic?

pirate4state
04-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey I would post something, but according to the rules this is a Political topic!:rolleyes: I'm sure I'll regret this, but just HOW do you figure this to be a political topic??

kaorder1999
04-11-2008, 10:22 AM
this article isnt about him being a vice president running mate in 92...its about him having sexual relations with his daughter which is illegal.

eppy 12
04-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I hope his rights get HIGHLY violated in prison. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/Lets-Go-To-Prison.jpg i say "GOOD CHANCE"

injuredinmelee
04-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by eppy 12
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/Lets-Go-To-Prison.jpg i say "GOOD CHANCE"

i watched this the other day. Dont remember what it was called but had some hilarious parts in it.

Fotbol
04-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I'm sure I'll regret this, but just HOW do you figure this to be a political topic?? Oh You know!, but go ahead, do yo thang, just be mindful!

kaorder1999
04-11-2008, 10:25 AM
this is a judicial topic...not a political topic!

eppy 12
04-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
i watched this the other day. Dont remember what it was called but had some hilarious parts in it. "Let's Go to Prison"

injuredinmelee
04-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Oh You know!, but go ahead, do yo thang, just be mindful!

why don't YOU quit trying to make it about race :rolleyes: ~ p4s

pirate4state
04-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Oh You know!, but go ahead, do yo thang, just be mindful! I have no idea what you just said, but YOU be mindful too!

injuredinmelee
04-11-2008, 10:30 AM

i didnt but people that want to make everything into a race issue need to be called onto the carpet occasionally.

Fotbol
04-11-2008, 10:30 AM
According to the rules you made a racist statement, so if I make a racist statement I'm wrong, I just said it was political in content, I didn't say anything bout race, I have two girls, and If any man, or woman touch them in any sexual way, my Gloc 40 will rang out, no Doubt, no matter what color he, or she is, you dig?

Fotbol
04-11-2008, 10:32 AM
I have no idea what you just said, but YOU be mindful too! You know exactly what I said, but maybe you're not trying to understand, a little more convo, and you will know where this is going!

pirate4state
04-11-2008, 10:33 AM
i didnt but people that want to make everything into a race issue need to be called onto the carpet occasionally. wrong.

eppy 12
04-11-2008, 10:33 AM
According to the rules you made a racist statement, so if I make a racist statement I'm wrong, I just said it was political in content, I didn't say anything bout race, I have two girls, and If any man, or woman touch them in any sexual way, my Gloc 40 will rang out, no Doubt, no matter what color he, or she is, you dig? i have 2 girls as well but would find more pleasure using my bare hands......

Ranger Mom
04-11-2008, 10:34 AM
According to the rules you made a racist statement, so if I make a racist statement I'm wrong, I just said it was political in content, I didn't say anything bout race, I have two girls, and If any man, or woman touch them in any sexual way, my Gloc 40 will rang out, no Doubt, no matter what color he, or she is, you dig?

Send me a PM and explain how this is political, I am not seeing it either!!

Thanks!!

pirate4state
04-11-2008, 10:35 AM
You know exactly what I said, but maybe you're not trying to understand, a little more convo, and you will know where this is going!

I could say the same thing about you. This isn't gonna get us anywhere.

eppy 12
04-11-2008, 10:39 AM
I could say the same thing about you. This isn't gonna get us anywhere. i see this one being locked by day's end....

kaorder1999
04-11-2008, 10:41 AM
The simple fact is he broke the law and deserves the punishment he will soon receive no matter his "historical figure" status...and those members of the DL who are educated enough to know this is not a political thread can and will reply on the thread in a manner not to force it to be closed.

eppy 12
04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
The simple fact is he broke the law and deserves the punishment he will soon receive no matter his "historical figure" status perhaps he should've moved to el dorado and this thread would not exist? part of the problem is that "status" if it were you or i, not one question as to what would happen. status or celebrity should NOT put one above the law.:mad:

kaorder1999
04-11-2008, 11:36 AM
http://www.thehistorymakers.com/bio_images/1079987317.jpg