PDA

View Full Version : Lone Star Showdown Updated Standings...

g$$
04-10-2008, 03:59 AM
Thru April 9, 2008

**Texas was the winner the previous 3 calendar years, but Texas A&M has made great strides in overall athletic program & it was close last year (10.5 to 8.5 in favor of Texas).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Star_Showdown

--19 pts. total, 10 needed to win

--A&M leads 7 to 4.5 right now (7.5 pts. still out there)

Who wins this year?

Phil C
04-10-2008, 11:07 AM
All but 1 1/2 points by the Aggies have been in Women's Sports.

NastySlot
04-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

the way it looks right now...the aggies might have a good shot at earning points in baseball and track...but still aways to go.

Phil C
04-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
the way it looks right now...the aggies might have a good shot at earning points in baseball and track...but still aways to go.

Maybe baseball and women's track but no way this year in men's track.

NastySlot
04-10-2008, 12:05 PM

don't count those track points too soon....the aggies are ranked number one in USTFCCCA which tells me they might have a little talent...the women moved up in that ranking also to number 4.

buff4life
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Texas will win the baseball, Ags record may be a little deceiving, they have only played one of the top 4 or so contenders in the Big XII and they lost 2 out of 3...

KL3
04-10-2008, 01:04 PM

Haha, you might want to rethink that statement. Aggies are #1 in the latest poll.

We could easily win men's golf, baseball, and track.

KL3
04-10-2008, 01:06 PM

And what sports have been decided yet?

Football - A&M
Basketball - split
Cross country?

NastySlot
04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
Texas will win the baseball, Ags record may be a little deceiving, they have only played one of the top 4 or so contenders in the Big XII and they lost 2 out of 3...

they are doing the things that need to be done in baseball...road sweep of Kansas....sweep of K-State at home (k-state had just taken a series from osu)....and from the looks of the line score from the aggies' game with houston they hit the ball..carry over from the weekend....they might have things going in college station....they missed out on a sweep of tech at home....and lost a 1-2 series to osu.....big weekend for both the horns and aggies
texas has missouri and it might be the right time to jump on them(missouri) and the aggies have ou...which took the series from texas last weekend........remember this about college baseball sweeps are hard to come by especially in conference play.

interest note...the starters for the aggie/sooner game may end up being two former SA area players Raley and Erban

Phil C
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
They split this year in cross country with UT winning the Men's competition and the Aggies winning in the Women's compeition by one point. UT is returning their main runners in this event and I look for them to possibly take this competition next year - an event the Aggies had dominated for years voer us.

g$$
04-14-2008, 05:03 PM
They split this year in cross country with UT winning the Men's competition and the Aggies winning in the Women's compeition by one point. UT is returning their main runners in this event and I look for them to possibly take this competition next year - an event the Aggies had dominated for years voer us.

Phil your statement is not fair. I saw the same thing you said on another site. It is a men's & women's competition. A&M has simply been better so far.

Men
Football = Ags
Basketball = split
CC = Texas
...more men's sports to come

Watch out for track on both sides as stated above...& look at baseball now for A&M. And softball...don't make excuses, please. Right now, A&M is simply beating Texas across the board. 7 to 4.5 pts. is quite a bit heading into the home stretch.

g$$
04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
they are doing the things that need to be done in baseball...road sweep of Kansas....sweep of K-State at home (k-state had just taken a series from osu)....and from the looks of the line score from the aggies' game with houston they hit the ball..carry over from the weekend....they might have things going in college station....they missed out on a sweep of tech at home....and lost a 1-2 series to osu.....big weekend for both the horns and aggies
texas has missouri and it might be the right time to jump on them(missouri) and the aggies have ou...which took the series from texas last weekend........remember this about college baseball sweeps are hard to come by especially in conference play.

interest note...the starters for the aggie/sooner game may end up being two former SA area players Raley and Erban

And sweep of OU...A&M is now in 1st place in Big 12 & ranked in top 8 nationally...some might want to take notice. Texas got spanked twice at Mizzou too.

g$$
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM

Might want to check your facts...Texas is not that good this year & A&M is rolling. We'll just have to see. Big series coming up with Baylor, NEB, etc.

Bull19
04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And sweep of OU...A&M is now in 1st place in Big 12 & ranked in top 8 nationally...some might want to take notice. Texas got spanked twice at Mizzou too.

yea got spanked by a VERY GOOD mizzou team. i dont expect a&m to be in first place for long. wait till they play some of the better teams in conference.

ranked #8 nationally in only one poll, not even ranked and ranked outa the top 15 in a few others. ;)

Phil C
04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
g$$ is right. The Aggies are putting out the effort in the sports this year. It is human nature to rationalize but one has to give them credit especially in the baseball and softball where they are performing well.

g$$
04-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
yea got spanked by a VERY GOOD mizzou team. i dont expect a&m to be in first place for long. wait till they play some of the better teams in conference.

ranked #8 nationally in only one poll, not even ranked and ranked outa the top 15 in a few others. ;)

Wrong. Check Baseball America tomorrow & others. No doubt some big series coming up, but A&M has a good ballclub. Play Rice tomorrow mid-week too. We'll see...

And rankings mean little anyway. Look at the National Seeds last year & where they were ranked. Key is to have a good RPI & perform well in your conference. College baseball has like 4 polls & they all vary big-time.

neck_06
04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
the baseball portion of this thread is funny.....the same things are being said across the nation, not just on 3adownlow.

g$$
04-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
the baseball portion of this thread is funny.....the same things are being said across the nation, not just on 3adownlow.

And he would know! Good luck to you Neck_06...rooting for you to get some weekend time soon. Aggie baseball is doing well.

Bull19
04-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Wrong. Check Baseball America tomorrow & others. No doubt some big series coming up, but A&M has a good ballclub. Play Rice tomorrow mid-week too. We'll see...

And rankings mean little anyway. Look at the National Seeds last year & where they were ranked. Key is to have a good RPI & perform well in your conference. College baseball has like 4 polls & they all vary big-time.

wrong??? http://pingbaseball.com/rankings.php

#19 is outa the top 15. true though i was wrong about them being un-ranked. i guess i was thinking about last week's poll.

g$$
04-14-2008, 05:36 PM
wrong??? http://pingbaseball.com/rankings.php

#19 is outa the top 15. true though i was wrong about them being un-ranked. i guess i was thinking about last week's poll.

Exactly my point. You said unranked. Baseball polls are worthless anyway as I stated above. Just look at seedings in recent years. It is all about RPI, SOS, & conference. Look how much they vary (from like 8th to 19th for A&M??). Mizzou is good but they are not even winning conference. A&M & NEB are ahead of them right now.

Bull19
04-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Exactly my point. You said unranked. Baseball polls are worthless anyway as I stated above. Just look at seedings in recent years. It is all about RPI, SOS, & conference. Look how much they vary (from like 8th to 19th for A&M??). Mizzou is good but they are not even winning conference. A&M & NEB are ahead of them right now.

mizzou isnt winning confernce, yes. but the aggies have played the lower tier of teams in the conference compared to mizzou who have played some of the better teams in confernce. like i said give it a couple more weeks and we will see just how good the ags really are.

they have a big test tomm night when they play rice.

Antec
04-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Its all about State Farm advertising to get more clients.

They are one of the most expensive car insurances in Texas

It may be a rivalry thing but I really doubt if both schools really care or now

Just like Dallas and Houston football teams for the Boot.

Rice and University Of Houston what they play for in football

Astros and Rangers

vet93
04-14-2008, 08:45 PM
My concern is that baseball is a streaky sport. The ags are playing very well with a good combination of pitching, defense and hitting...however, I have seen many teams follow a great winning streak by an equally long losing streak....being an aggie fan for a long time...I tend not to count the chickens until they are hatched, grown and headed for the dinner table!

Originally posted by g$$
Might want to check your facts...Texas is not that good this year & A&M is rolling. We'll just have to see. Big series coming up with Baylor, NEB, etc.

g$$
04-15-2008, 04:28 PM
mizzou isnt winning confernce, yes. but the aggies have played the lower tier of teams in the conference compared to mizzou who have played some of the better teams in confernce. like i said give it a couple more weeks and we will see just how good the ags really are.

they have a big test tomm night when they play rice.

I agree, big series & games ahead. But A&M has proven to be a good team (lost in Super Regionals last year) & Childress has done a good job. Let it play out.

A&M has never won LSS...you better believe we want it this year!

buff4life
04-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I agree, big series & games ahead. But A&M has proven to be a good team (lost in Super Regionals last year) & Childress has done a good job. Let it play out.

A&M has never won LSS...you better believe we want it this year!

better believe you need to win it with some UT sports being down this year

navscanmaster
04-16-2008, 07:23 AM
better believe you need to win it with some UT sports being down this year

Looks like the excuses are starting already:rolleyes: :doh:

g$$
04-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster

Exactly, always a reason for Texas fans. Never can give the other team credit when you get your butt kicked fair & square. That is the sense of entitlement & arrogance I often speak of on here. No excuses, period, please. It makes you look bad.

rholl
04-16-2008, 04:29 PM
excuses?? All the Ags I know say this is a meaningless competition...until now when they are finally winning....now all of a sudden it is of great importance!!!! blah blah...Ags won in football, split in basketball...waiting on baseball.....is there anything else???

buff4life
04-16-2008, 04:31 PM

that isn't a freakin excuse and minute intelligence would see that...anyone both ags and horns know the Ags need the showdown after losing three straight...there is no excuse for whether our teams are down or not we're still getting beat...saying a team is down is not a dang excuse just an observation...congrats to the ags does that better suit the narrow mind i'm seeing from both of you?

buff4life
04-16-2008, 04:32 PM
just as in all sports...if Texas wins nothing is said because i guess it expected or whatever the reason but if the Ags win...ags seem to come out of the woodwork

g$$
04-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by rholl
excuses?? All the Ags I know say this is a meaningless competition...until now when they are finally winning....now all of a sudden it is of great importance!!!! blah blah...Ags won in football, split in basketball...waiting on baseball.....is there anything else???

Ags I know (& we discussed this over at weekend at golf tourney) are proud of the overall direction of program, finally.

I like the big 3 sports the best obviously, but certainly I follow the others & always have. LSS would be a feather in the cap for the progress TAMU has made in all sports.

And the LSS has only been around for like 4 years now...NCAA Director's Cup is the big prize measuring all sports.

g$$
04-16-2008, 04:36 PM
just as in all sports...if Texas wins nothing is said because i guess it expected or whatever the reason but if the Ags win...ags seem to come out of the woodwork

I have never hidden in any woodwork, good or bad days. Just deal with it & look at the standings. What you said came across as an excuse, whether you intended it or not.

I stand by what I said. A&M's program has made great strides in all sports, esp. on the women's side.

buff4life
04-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I have never hidden in any woodwork, good or bad days. Just deal with it & look at the standings. What you said came across as an excuse, whether you intended it or not.

I stand by what I said. A&M's program has made great strides in all sports, esp. on the women's side.

i'm not saying you and did not mean to imply you..just a personal vendetta about my town and how many ag hats shirts and comment i receive when they beat Texas in anything...and no excuse the ags are making great strides...will be awesome when both schools become national powers in all three sports

g$$
04-16-2008, 04:42 PM
i'm not saying you and did not mean to imply you..just a personal vendetta about my town and how many ag hats shirts and comment i receive when they beat Texas in anything...and no excuse the ags are making great strides...will be awesome when both schools become national powers in all three sports

And I could say the same thing after a Texas win - go to any Wal-mart & every Tom, Dick, & Harry is sporting "their" school's colors!

No big deal.

buff4life
04-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And I could say the same thing after a Texas win - go to any Wal-mart & every Tom, Dick, & Harry is sporting "their" school's colors!

No big deal.

i would agree but since you're not from giddings, you have no idea...

g$$
04-16-2008, 04:45 PM
i would agree but since you're not from giddings, you have no idea...

Happens in Sweeny too, believe me, & just about everywhere. I live in Houston now & it's the same!

navscanmaster
04-17-2008, 04:38 AM
Through the years I have observed college sports, I always seem to notice that Texas' name carries more respect in the polls, whether they are worthy of the respect that year or not. I know polls aren't all they are cracked up to be, but example:

Ags start a year ranked 10th, Texas starts 11th.

Both go 6-0 to start the year. Texas now 8th, Ags 9th.
Ags lose to Mizzou, per say, go to 6-1. Fall to 17th.
Horns lose next week to Mizzou, now 7-1. Fall to 12th.

If you pay attention to the polls, you will see that even when the teams are on equal footing, the writers and coaches care a whole lot more about what is happening in Austin than in College Station. Texas has a name, earned as it may be, just like UCLA, SoCal, Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame, so on. I guess it shouldn't really bother me or anybody else, but it has always irked me a little to see it happening.

g$$
04-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Through the years I have observed college sports, I always seem to notice that Texas' name carries more respect in the polls, whether they are worthy of the respect that year or not. I know polls aren't all they are cracked up to be, but example:

Ags start a year ranked 10th, Texas starts 11th.

Both go 6-0 to start the year. Texas now 8th, Ags 9th.
Ags lose to Mizzou, per say, go to 6-1. Fall to 17th.
Horns lose next week to Mizzou, now 7-1. Fall to 12th.

If you pay attention to the polls, you will see that even when the teams are on equal footing, the writers and coaches care a whole lot more about what is happening in Austin than in College Station. Texas has a name, earned as it may be, just like UCLA, SoCal, Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame, so on. I guess it shouldn't really bother me or anybody else, but it has always irked me a little to see it happening.

Name & tradition carry weight, rightly or wrongly. A&M gets respect but Texas gets benefit of the doubt more often than not.

Txbroadcaster
04-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Name & tradition carry weight, rightly or wrongly. A&M gets respect but Texas gets benefit of the doubt more often than not.

Benefit of doubt, but also the burden of tradition

g$$
04-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Benefit of doubt, but also the burden of tradition

That burden is nice to have though. Texas lost to UTA last night in baseball - Texas is a mediocre baseball team this year by any standard (23-13 overall, middle of pack in Big 12). Same with softball.

Emerson1
04-17-2008, 05:20 PM
A&M and TEXAS SUCK TARLETON RULES!

g$$
04-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
A&M SUCKS TARLETON RULES!

Rules what?

Emerson1
04-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Rules what?
There is that better?

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2008, 07:11 PM
:blahblah: :blahblah:

I've just been waiting for an excuse to use this smilie. :D

KTJ
04-17-2008, 09:50 PM

Have you ever given UT any credit? I don't check this board very often anymore for certain reasons. So maybe you have and I've missed it.

And where are the past threads about UT winning this thing the last 3 years? I can't seem to find those anywhere that weren't started by Phil. I honestly forgot Lonestar State Farm thing was still going on until the other day.

g$$
04-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Have you ever given UT any credit? I don't check this board very often anymore for certain reasons. So maybe you have and I've missed it.

And where are the past threads about UT winning this thing the last 3 years? I can't seem to find those anywhere that weren't started by Phil. I honestly forgot Lonestar State Farm thing was still going on until the other day.

Speaking for myself, I give Texas & anyone else credit when deserved. I will also call out my school when needed too. Check all you want. And, funny how LSS doesn't matter when said school is getting beat this year...hmmm

Can't have it both ways.

JasperDog94
04-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Speaking for myself, I give Texas & anyone else credit when deserved. I will also call out my school when needed too. Check all you want. And, funny how LSS doesn't matter when said school is getting beat this year...hmmm

Can't have it both ways. The point is that nobody really care or keeps up with the LSS other than Phil. This is the only place I ever hear it discussed...and by very few people. None of my friends (Longhorns or Aggies) EVER mention it. It's just not a big deal.

KTJ
04-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Can't have it both ways.

Dude, calm down. Jesus.

I said maybe you did and I've missed it. Wow. Yesterday was the first time I've posted on this board in months. And, just FYI, the LSS didn't matter when it first started as most Longhorns thought it was a dumb idea. We won it...YAY! Now A&M is going to win it...YAY! I can honestly say that winning the inaugural LSS series my senior year is not one of the lasting moments that I will remember or care about.

Seriously calm down. I've never seen you give UT credit. Only point out every time the lose, especially when it's to A&M. That's fine. That's how you roll. It's your life. Just remain calm. It's not that big of a deal.

So you (Texas Agricultural & Mechanical) will win the Lonestar Showdown. I'll alert ESPN, CNNSI, Fox News, and CBSSportsline. It will be national news. Just you wait and see.

:D ;)

Wow, a year since the Va Tech shootings? Man, time goes by fast.

EDIT: The thoughts from my Aggie friends is that no one cares really. They want National Championships. Maybe they are the 2%ers. I dunno.

g$$
04-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Dude, calm down. Jesus.

I said maybe you did and I've missed it. Wow. Yesterday was the first time I've posted on this board in months. And, just FYI, the LSS didn't matter when it first started as most Longhorns thought it was a dumb idea. We won it...YAY! Now A&M is going to win it...YAY! I can honestly say that winning the inaugural LSS series my senior year is not one of the lasting moments that I will remember or care about.

Seriously calm down. I've never seen you give UT credit. Only point out every time the lose, especially when it's to A&M. That's fine. That's how you roll. It's your life. Just remain calm. It's not that big of a deal.

So you (Texas Agricultural & Mechanical) will win the Lonestar Showdown. I'll alert ESPN, CNNSI, Fox News, and CBSSportsline. It will be national news. Just you wait and see.

:D ;)

Wow, a year since the Va Tech shootings? Man, time goes by fast.

EDIT: The thoughts from my Aggie friends is that no one cares really. They want National Championships. Maybe they are the 2%ers. I dunno.

I am very calm, you are the one getting worked up. I just find you & others hypocritical, that's all. Maybe that's how you "roll". LSS by no means compares to NCs, but it does show improvement across the board for A&M. It also shows where Texas is right now too in all sports. 2%ers - wrong application entirely.

You like to get cute with your references. I won't stoop to that. A&M & Texas are both fine schools. I have given Texas credit many times, look a little harder. Don't put words in my mouth, OK? You be you & I will be me.

And keep track of that LSS for me...

Txbroadcaster
04-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Yes right now the LSS means nothing

BUT if it stays around for 50 years then yes it will be something..especially if the two schools trade it out on a yearly basis, but either way a rivalry trophy rarely means anything the first couple of years

g$$
04-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Yes right now the LSS means nothing

BUT if it stays around for 50 years then yes it will be something..especially if the two schools trade it out on a yearly basis, but either way a rivalry trophy rarely means anything the first couple of years

4 years running now & it is a barometer as to where your entire program is & where it was previously. It is not the be all/end all but it does have significance.

Txbroadcaster
04-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by g$$
4 years running now & it is a barometer as to where your entire program is & where it was previously. It is not the be all/end all but it does have significance.

It is a barometer only comparing the two schools nothing else..Does not show where your at in conference or Nationally unless BOTH are succesful

g$$
04-18-2008, 03:02 PM
It is a barometer only comparing the two schools nothing else..Does not show where your at in conference or Nationally unless BOTH are succesful

True, but in many sports that has been the case. Look it up.