PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer 29, Longview Pine Tree 6

Gilmer Buckeye
09-26-2003, 11:24 PM
Pretty solid effort by the Buckeyes. Star tailback Andrew Hines didn't play second half because of ankle injury, not thought to be serious. Kicking game came around as did special teams in general.

Gilmer (5-0) has a bye upcoming and will resume play with first District 11-3A game at home against Mount Vernon on Oct. 10.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-27-2003, 01:09 AM
Link to game account:

http://www.tylerpaper.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10232149&BRD=1994&PAG=461&dept_id=499818&rfi=6

Gilmer Buckeye
09-28-2003, 10:08 AM
Another game account:

http://www.news-journal.com/sports/newsfd/auto/feed/sports/2003/09/27/1064642129.19830.3390.2423.html

3afan
09-28-2003, 01:21 PM
does gilmer have a chance to go DI in the playoffs (if they make it :D ) ???

Gilmer Buckeye
09-28-2003, 01:52 PM
I don't much think so. It would take a total collapse on the part of Lindale, which is by far the biggest school in District 11-3A.

And Lindale played D'field pretty tough on the road the other night. 28-16 was the final score. That's closer than anyone has played the Tigers. I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe D'field is not superhuman after all.

So barring some sort of forfeiture scenario, I can't see anyone but Lindale being the Div I out of our district.

You have to realize that Rains and Mineola are already out of contention most years (probably including this one) before district play even starts. That leaves Mount Vernon, Winnsboro, Gilmer and Lindale fighting over three playoff spots.

Last season it actually did get pretty dicey for Lindale as Winnsboro nearly slipped in past them. Ironically, this would have helped the Buckeyes as we would have gone Div I and played Atlanta instead of D'field in bi-district, although I'm not saying we definitely would've beat Atlanta either.

This season, though, Mount Vernon seems to be somewhat down, and so I see Gilmer, Lindale and Winnsboro as 11-3A playoff teams. It is possible Winnsboro could upset Gilmer in three weeks. Red Raiders almost always give us trouble, especially up there.

The cannibal tribe will no doubt be sky-high (I was told the 'Red Raiders' mascot is based on the now-extinct Karankawa tribe of coastal Texas whose diet included humans).

3afan
09-28-2003, 04:40 PM
thanks GB - good stuff ...

BigRedfan
09-28-2003, 06:05 PM
GilmerBuckeye
Where do you get all your information on Winnsboro? Do you have some Winnsboro connections?

Mandy
09-28-2003, 06:09 PM
pinetree....pinetown...

i love pinetown.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-29-2003, 04:17 AM
I know a guy who is a friend of Coach Pinnell from high school days. The last time we played up there in 2001, he told me that story about the origins of your mascot. I have no idea where he got it or whether it's true. I had always assumed it was based on that of Texas Tech, but then I noticed the cheerleaders had some sort of tribal insignia on their uniforms and so I asked him what it represented.

He's a Union Hill grad, but he lives closer to Winnsboro than to Gilmer and used to hang out there a lot as a teen. That's how he got to know Pinnell. I know our coach really likes Pinnell as well. He seems to be a really stand-up guy.