PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods, the best ever.....

Fotbol
04-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Yes!

PPHSfan
04-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Best modern day golfer ever.

But there were others before him that dominated the game as well.

Wonder how good Jack Ben or Byron would have been with Tiger's bag of clubs thirty years ago.

Silverback 04
04-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Read a story a while back of a pro golfer that played a round with every piece of equipment from 1970. The guy was in shock it was so bad. Said the golf ball felt like mush when he hit with a percimmon wood.

Regardless, I grew up with Jack Nicklaus, and forever have thought him to be the best. Some people say Bobby Jones, and i think he retired at some ungodly young age.

But i gotta say, Tiger was born to play and he does things with a golf ball that no other person can do. Not to mention the fact that when he walks onto the course the first thing all the other golfers do is crap their pants. When you think you've lost before you start, well, i guess you have.

GreenMachine
04-09-2008, 03:47 PM
NO...not yet.

Fotbol
04-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
NO...not yet.
You have to pick 3 of the top golfers of all time, would Tiger be one?

PPHSfan
04-09-2008, 03:53 PM
I would say he is definitely in the top 5 or 6 all time, and is working his way into the top 3.

injuredinmelee
04-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Top of all time. No one has dominated their era as consistently as TW

PPHSfan
04-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Top of all time. No one has dominated their era as consistently as TW

Were you even alive in the 60's ?

nobogey72
04-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Best modern day golfer ever.

But there were others before him that dominated the game as well.

Wonder how good Jack Ben or Byron would have been with Tiger's bag of clubs thirty years ago.

That is true. But the other side of it is how dominant Jack, Ben, and Byron would have been against the # of quality players in the field as there are today. It's one of those arguments that no one will ever win. It's like who is the better hitter between Joe Dimagio and Barry Bonds, Jim Brown and L.T. , Butkus or the other L.T.:thinking:

injuredinmelee
04-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Were you even alive in the 60's ?

i assume you were and had obviously followed golf religiously?

just because I dont agree with you, does that make me wrong?

jlg043
04-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
i assume you were and had obviously followed golf religiously?

just because I dont agree with you, does that make me wrong?

its opinion based so no one is wrong but in my opinion he is the best!

PHS Wildcats
04-09-2008, 08:10 PM
No, not yet. I'd put him in the top 5 though

cshscougar08
04-09-2008, 08:54 PM
My take on Tiger is that by the time he retires, he will have become the greatest athlete of any sport in history. NO ONE has dominated any sport the way he has dominated golf. And he is only 32 or something like that. You can say look at Jack and Ben and Arnie and say if they had this and if they had that they would have been better. But the thing is, you can't compare that. You can't honestly compare a wood wood and a metal one. You just can't. Plus, on top of that, with all the new technology, the game is more competitive. When EVERYONE has access to cutting edge clubs that will give you more spin or more distance, or balls that will roll a certain way, it puts most players on a level field. Then it's up to the individual players basic skill to determine who is the best. And Tiger has the most skill. Obviously. When he is done with his career, however far away that may be, he will have dominated golf like no one has ever dominated a sport. Not like Joe Montana in football, or Michael Jordan in basketball, or Babe Ruth in baseball. No one. Just my take on it. Don't bash me too bad. ;)

STANG RED
04-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Tiger is to golf, what Jordan was to basketball. The best ever to play the game. They forever changed the game for the better, both on and off the playing surfaces. Its not just simply how well they play, but it also has to do with how well they handle themselves away from those games. Barry Bonds could have possibly done the same, but he is such a butt head which makes him so completely unlikeable. We love to hate him, but most of us really like Tiger and Jordan for who they are as men as well as how they managed to play their games, usually at consistantly higher levels than their best competition. Dont get me wrong. They are a long way from perfect, but certainly no farther from it than most of us. But at least in one respect, they have come a lot closer than anyone else has.

Emerson1
04-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Tiger has better clubs, but I highly doubt the courses back then were as hard as they are now or 7400 yards long

cshscougar08
04-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Tiger has better clubs, but I highly doubt the courses back then were as hard as they are now or 7400 yards long

But with wooden clubs they didn't have to be as long or challenging.

zebrablue2
04-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Yes!

yes...

GreenGobbla
04-09-2008, 10:50 PM
who cares about clubs and courses, tiger woods is the best ever.

WOS87
04-09-2008, 11:02 PM
No one, including Tiger, has even come close to beating Waxahachie's own, Byron Nelson, and his feat of 113 consecutive top 20 finishes, and winning 18 professional golf tournaments in a single year including 11 in a row like he did in 1945.

from "Wikipedia"

Record-breaking year

In 1945 Nelson enjoyed a record-breaking year, winning 18 tournaments including 11 in a row.[10] Both records are still yet to be beaten. Nelson however lost many chances at major championships during this year, and previous years, because of the war, and only won the 1945 PGA Championship.[10] There has been debate to how impressive these results are, as it was believed to be a weakened tour due to the war.[11] But in reality many of the leading golfers of that time, including Sam Snead and Ben Hogan still played a full or at least part schedule that year.[11] Both Snead and Hogan won multiple times on the tour in 1945.[11] During this year Nelson finished second another 7 times, set a record for the scoring average that was only recently broken (68.33, broken by Tiger Woods in 2000), a record 18 hole score (62), and a record 72-hole score (259, which beat the previous record set by Ben Hogan earlier that year).[11] This year is now known as the greatest single year by a player on the PGA Tour, as Arnold Palmer said: "I don't think that anyone will ever exceed the things that Byron did by winning 11 tournaments in a row in one year."[12] Even more recently, Tiger Woods referred to the year as "one of the greatest years in the history of the sport"[12]

Cut streak

Nelson's record of 113 consecutive cuts made is second only to Tiger Woods' 142. It should be noted that the PGA Tour defines a "cut" as receiving a paycheck, even if an event has no cut per se. In Nelson's era, only the top 20 in a tournament received a check. In reality, Nelson's "113 consecutive cuts made" are representative of his unequaled 113 consecutive top 20 tournament finishes.

themsu97
04-10-2008, 05:51 AM
thank you WOS87...
and whoever said Tiger was going to be the best athlete ever...come on... he plays golf...
noone is denying that Tiger is greatest... he is the greatest golfer of his time... and that is it... you cannot compare eras... Tiger does not have a legitimate contender as Arnold or Jack did either... heck how many times did Jack finish runner up at a major?... Bobby Jones and others... in the earlier days of golf they did not play as many tournaments or majors...

Tiger in no way transcends his sport the way Babe Ruth did... Babe Ruth may not have only saved baseball... he was Americana at is best

nobogey72
04-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Whether he is the best ever or not will be up for debate forever, equipment changes, competition, course lengths, etc. What impresses me more than anything about him is his relentless pursuit of excellence. Think about it. Nike- 100 million over 10 yrs. Buick- who knows. American Express-who knows. His appearance fees are sometimes more than the winner's check. A normal person would be tempted to kind of kick back and maybe not work at it too hard. He is just as motivated now, as he was when he was a rookie and hadn't earned a dime. How many other pro's in whatever sport finally get their big payday and production tends to slide? Oh, yeah....... the other thing that impresses me about him is his wife!!!!:D

injuredinmelee
04-10-2008, 08:22 AM
how many other golfers have caused so many courses to redesign? I dont think I have ever heard of a course being Arnie Proofed.

LH810
04-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Tiger is to golf, what Jordan was to basketball. The best ever to play the game. They forever changed the game for the better, both on and off the playing surfaces. Its not just simply how well they play, but it also has to do with how well they handle themselves away from those games. Barry Bonds could have possibly done the same, but he is such a butt head which makes him so completely unlikeable. We love to hate him, but most of us really like Tiger and Jordan for who they are as men as well as how they managed to play their games, usually at consistantly higher levels than their best competition. Dont get me wrong. They are a long way from perfect, but certainly no farther from it than most of us. But at least in one respect, they have come a lot closer than anyone else has.

Could'nt agree more. The only reason he ranks number one for me is because he has accomplished so much in such a short amount of time!

CenTexSports
04-10-2008, 08:44 AM
My favorite Tiger Joke:

Just after Tiger joined the PGA Tour, he went to a very nice country club in rural Georgia. Upon entering the pro shop, he was told that he could not play at this course because it was restricted. The pro did tell him that there was another course just a 3 iron down the road that would let him play.

A little indignent, Tiger asked the pro if he knew who he was talking to and the pro responded no he did not. Tiger told him, " I am Tiger Woods!" The pro apologized profusley and then responded "Mr. Woods, it is only an eight iron down the road!"

I am not a Tiger fan. He is a GREAT golfer and he seems to be a very decent human being. I have always idolized Arnold but I will give the devil his due. Tiger is in the top five all time great golfers and he probably deserves the top spot right now.

Silverback 04
04-10-2008, 09:29 AM
More golf humor.

Recently in a discussion about steroids in golf, somebody said they needed to start testing every player at every tournament. Some guy affiliated with the PGA replied, "they should just test Tiger and if he's clean, then it doesn't matter what the rest of the guys are taking".

themsu97
04-10-2008, 09:30 AM
definitely one of the best...

but then, why no comments about Roger Federer being the best ever or the greatest athlete... tennis is more demanding athleticly than golf and Federer actually has to beat an opponent... and is clearly head and shoulders above the rest

State_In_08
04-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Ok, I dont see anyones logic with the clubs... Tiger may have better clubs, but so does EVERY other competitor he is facing.

He isnt the best ever yet. Talk to me in 10-15 years and we'll see.