PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers home opener today

bwdlionfan
04-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Same stuff, different season....

I went, crazy traffic leaving the game even though most left way early... Rangers had 9 hits but only 1 run, lost 8-1.... Pitching was terrible and they wouldn't pull the starter til I believe the 5th inning. Crowd started booing the pitcher in the 1st inning

PHS Wildcats
04-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Like I said they'll be eliminated by the end of April:(

GreenMonster
04-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Aubrey Huff, one of my old college teammates, tore it up today. He was 3 for 4. He is a Ft. Worth Brewer product and a Vernon College alumni as well. That a kid, Aubs!

g$$
04-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Aubrey Huff, one of my old college teammates, tore it up today. He was 3 for 4. He is a Ft. Worth Brewer product and a Vernon College alumni as well. That a kid, Aubs!

Huff is a streaky hitter. When he gets hot, look out. When he's cold, well he's really cold. Knew he was from N. Texas or moved here at some point, but didn't know where. Played at Miami (FL) too huh before the pros? Must like coming home & playing in Arlington.

Jason Jennings is garbage. Have fun with him all year - or until he shuts it down.

g$$
04-09-2008, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan

I went, crazy traffic leaving the game even though most left way early... Rangers had 9 hits but only 1 run, lost 8-1.... Pitching was terrible and they wouldn't pull the starter til I believe the 5th inning. Crowd started booing the pitcher in the 1st inning

Deep breath...maybe new front office guy Nolan Ryan can help them finally stress pitching over the next few years. That would be a change in philosophy.

Bearkat
04-09-2008, 08:41 AM

Why do fans boo the pitcher? The pitcher didn't do bad on purpose. Why not boo the owner? He's the person that is paying a pitcher that gets raked.

bwdlionfan
04-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I think the fans were more so booing that they wouldn't pull him.... especially by the 3rd and 4th innings. Seems like every ranger game i go to when the pitcher starts sucking, they leave him in a few extra innings and he keeps sucking. i wish they would be a little quicker to pull people before the game gets away from them.

crzyjournalist03
04-09-2008, 11:11 AM
I think the fans were more so booing that they wouldn't pull him.... especially by the 3rd and 4th innings. Seems like every ranger game i go to when the pitcher starts sucking, they leave him in a few extra innings and he keeps sucking. i wish they would be a little quicker to pull people before the game gets away from them.

meh, he only gave up four runs even if fans did think he was left in too long. Your offense should be able to score four runs.

Bull19
04-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
meh, he only gave up four runs even if fans did think he was left in too long. Your offense should be able to score four runs.

YOU CANT RELY ON YOUR OFFENSE EVERY SINGLE GAME TO BAIL OUT THE PITCHER.

crzyjournalist03
04-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
YOU CANT RELY ON YOUR OFFENSE EVERY SINGLE GAME TO BAIL OUT THE PITCHER.

No, but every single major league team would tell you that scoring less than four runs is a bad night for the offense.

Bull19
04-09-2008, 11:27 AM
No, but every single major league team would tell you that scoring less than four runs is a bad night for the offense.

and every single major league team (except rangers) would tell you that giving up four runs a night is bad pitching.

crzyjournalist03
04-09-2008, 11:34 AM
and every single major league team (except rangers) would tell you that giving up four runs a night is bad pitching.

Do you live in the 1960s man?

ERAs have been over 4 for the better part of four decades...by your definition, there were 28 teams last year that had bad staffs, and 27 in 2006.

Four runs against a game is going to win you 95-100 ballgames.

Bull19
04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Do you live in the 1960s man?

ERAs have been over 4 for the better part of four decades...by your definition, there were 28 teams last year that had bad staffs, and 27 in 2006.

Four runs against a game is going to win you 95-100 ballgames.

i guess you never pitched in your life. i would get upset when i would give up 1 run. you pitch to hold the team to no runs. anything less you should feel disappointed. the object is to hold the team to zero runs. not to make sure your era is bellow 4 and just to be happy with being average. if you wanna win you have to be better than average. its pretty obvious rangers pitching is average at best. and well the past few years show that pretty well. shows just how far being average gets you.

Bull19
04-09-2008, 11:40 AM
my whole point is, relying on your hitters to bail out pitchers every game wont win you many games. and it looks like thats the rangers philosophy. im done with this thread

crzyjournalist03
04-09-2008, 11:42 AM
i guess you never pitched in your life. i would get upset when i would give up 1 run. you pitch to hold the team to no runs. anything less you should feel disappointed. the object is to hold the team to zero runs. not to make sure your era is bellow 4 and just to be happy with being average. if you wanna win you have to be better than average. its pretty obvious rangers pitching is average at best. and well the past few years show that pretty well. shows just how far being average gets you.

Umm...an ERA of 4.00 would be "above average" by definition for every year that I can go back in statistics in the last decade...above average wins games. Domination rarely happens anymore. You must have been disappointed a heck of a lot growing up. When I played baseball, I always thought the goal was to have more runs than the other team at the end of the game by any means necessary. I never realized that failing to shut the other team out was a disappointment. :rolleyes:

crzyjournalist03
04-09-2008, 11:43 AM
my whole point is, relying on your hitters to bail out pitchers every game wont win you many games. and it looks like thats the rangers philosophy. im done with this thread

FYI...if the Astros had managed to score four runs in every game this year, they'd have one loss on their record.

Sometimes, it doesn't matter what your pitching staff does. Your offense should be able to generate runs.

And I wish you'd stay out of all future Ranger threads too if all you can do is come in and try to bash them and their philosophy that you haven't paid enough attention to to even grasp what exactly it is.

DaHop72
04-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Umm...an ERA of 4.00 would be "above average" by definition for every year that I can go back in statistics in the last decade...above average wins games. Domination rarely happens anymore. You must have been disappointed a heck of a lot growing up. When I played baseball, I always thought the goal was to have more runs than the other team at the end of the game by any means necessary. I never realized that failing to shut the other team out was a disappointment. :rolleyes: Now, now crzy don't agrue because we now know that bull19

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/DaHop72/dahop_guru_joe.jpg

:devil: :devil: