PDA

View Full Version : Shout Out to FF Track

jimmyceatworld
04-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Not completing the district meet until yersterday because part of our track was torn out during the middle of a race, Fairfield won the meet with only 12 team members.

Of course I like to brag about my school every chance I get, but isn't that a pretty small total for a 3A school? I might be wrong because I don't know a whole lot about track and field, but I think that feat doesn't look too shabby at all.

eagles_victory
04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
Not completing the district meet until yersterday because part of our track was torn out during the middle of a race, Fairfield won the meet with only 12 team members.

Of course I like to brag about my school every chance I get, but isn't that a pretty small total for a 3A school? I might be wrong because I don't know a whole lot about track and field, but I think that feat doesn't look too shabby at all. We only had 12 people on the whole track team?

jimmyceatworld
04-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
We only had 12 people on the whole track team?

Yeah, but most of them were in multiple events obviously.

I think the surprise of the meet was Danny Filis' 2nd place finish in ... get this ... discus lol

pirate4state
04-08-2008, 08:14 PM

Of course I like to brag about my school every chance I get, but isn't that a pretty small total for a 3A school? I might be wrong because I don't know a whole lot about track and field, but I think that feat doesn't look too shabby at all.

I'm so lost....WHAT??? :confused:

LH Panther Mom
04-08-2008, 08:14 PM
For only 12 kids, that's pretty darn good, I think! :clap:

LH Panther Mom
04-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I'm so lost....WHAT??? :confused:
Ignore the first part about the track being torn out. :p They won the district meet with only 12 boys on the team.

kepdawg
04-08-2008, 08:22 PM
I think 12 is a small number to have on the team, but not a small number to win it with.

pirate4state
04-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Ignore the first part about the track being torn out. :p They won the district meet with only 12 boys on the team. :doh: Oh, okay. :) Congrats to FF! :thumbsup:

kepdawg
04-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I think 12 is a small number to have on the team, but not a small number to win it with.

Although I suppose it would be more significant at the district meet since all the district schools should have a large number of participants.

Sure, numbers help, but the farther you get along in the season the better you can do with small numbers as long as the kids you got are good.

coach
04-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah, but most of them were in multiple events obviously.

I think the surprise of the meet was Danny Filis' 2nd place finish in ... get this ... discus lol

wow we will be hearing about that for a while

jimmyceatworld
04-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by coach
wow we will be hearing about that for a while

No, what you'll be hearing about for a while is that he finally broke the school record in pole vault lol. Gotta give him his props though.

The only record I think I've broken in sports this year is the one for highest GPA on the football team :nerd:

FIRST TEAM ALL-STATE!!!

... academic *cough*

coach
04-09-2008, 01:05 AM
congrats jimmy....keep us posted on the race between u and brad

4x100jackets
04-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Refugio won State with only one Guy "TOYA JONES"

mwynn05
04-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 4x100jackets
Refugio won State with only one Guy "TOYA JONES" the state meet is a lot different than a district meet though

LH Panther Mom
04-09-2008, 11:57 AM
The only record I think I've broken in sports this year is the one for highest GPA on the football team :nerd:

FIRST TEAM ALL-STATE!!!

... academic *cough*
Many, many kudos! That's awesome! :clap: :clap: :clap:

4x100jackets
04-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
the state meet is a lot different than a district meet though

I know, but the point is Quality is better than Quanity sometimes.

Sweetwater Red
04-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't know. Back in 2004-2005, Sweetwater finshed second
at the State Championship with only 6 members.:thinking:

Conference 3A 1. Cuero 502. Sweetwater 483. Waco LaVega 374. Tatum 345. Texarkana Liberty-Eylau 326. Jasper 287. Raymondville 248. Gilmer 208. Brownfield 208. Kennedale 201. Llano 18

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/archives/track_field/track_champions.html

All you need is real good relay teams and having the fastest kid
in the state doesn't hurt either. Relay teams rack up the points.

Silverback 04
04-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I don't know. Back in 2004-2005, Sweetwater finshed second
at the State Championship with only 6 members.:thinking:

Conference 3A 1. Cuero 502. Sweetwater 483. Waco LaVega 374. Tatum 345. Texarkana Liberty-Eylau 326. Jasper 287. Raymondville 248. Gilmer 208. Brownfield 208. Kennedale 201. Llano 18

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/archives/track_field/track_champions.html

All you need is real good relay teams and having the fastest kid
in the state doesn't hurt either. Relay teams rack up the points.

Just for my education, what does the 483 allude to after Sweetwaters name?

Sweetwater Red
04-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
Just for my education, what does the 483 allude to after Sweetwaters name?

My bag. I didn't realize the cut and paste was so bad.:doh:

Here's how it should've read.

Conference 3A

Place Team Total Points
1. Cuero 50
2. Sweetwater 48
3. Waco La Vega 37
4. Tatum 34
5. Liberty-Eylau 32
6. Jasper 28
7. Raymondsville 24
8. Gilmer 20
8. Brownfield 20
8. Kennedale 20
11. Llano 18

Silverback 04
04-09-2008, 03:17 PM
OK, I thought I was suffering from some mind altering ailment there for a moment as I had never seen so many points scored at a state track meet.

44INAROW
04-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 4x100jackets
Refugio won State with only one Guy "TOYA JONES"

dayum - and they are in Reg IV :eek: :D

he was one fast dude.....................

mwynn05
04-09-2008, 04:07 PM
No, what you'll be hearing about for a while is that he finally broke the school record in pole vault lol. Gotta give him his props though.

FIRST TEAM ALL-STATE!!!

... academic *cough* hey you were a district champ in academics and helped lead us to our 18th district title in 19 years and 11th straight

jimmyceatworld
04-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
hey you were a district champ in academics and helped lead us to our 18th district title in 19 years and 11th straight

A personal goal of mine was to beat Westwood by myself BUT I failed. After barely not placing in a couple of events and not doing as good as I thought I could have in some others, they beat me by around 15 I think :(

mwynn05
04-10-2008, 12:00 AM
A personal goal of mine was to beat Westwood by myself BUT I failed. After barely not placing in a couple of events and not doing as good as I thought I could have in some others, they beat me by around 15 I think :( if marlin was still in our district you would have beat them by your self...

j_dog
04-10-2008, 03:05 PM

Twelve could be a large number for many schools. Jasper has won state in track four times (and in 4a at that), and for the most part I would doubt that they ever had many more than twelve athletes participating. Four athletes in two relays, and four individual events can wreak havoc on "ordinary" runners.

By the way, I watched Silsbee win state one year with just two runners. They finished 1-2 in both the 100m and 200m for a total of 36 points, and in that particular year, that was enough to win state. I may be wrong, but I think they finished second in district.

So yes, I think it is more about the quality, not the quantity.

Emerson1
04-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Forney won the boys and girls 10-4a meets.

eagles_victory
04-10-2008, 03:30 PM
yeah but a state meet is a lot different than a district meet...2 guys could not win a district meet its impossible
Originally posted by j_dog
Twelve could be a large number for many schools. Jasper has won state in track four times (and in 4a at that), and for the most part I would doubt that they ever had many more than twelve athletes participating. Four athletes in two relays, and four individual events can wreak havoc on "ordinary" runners.

By the way, I watched Silsbee win state one year with just two runners. They finished 1-2 in both the 100m and 200m for a total of 36 points, and in that particular year, that was enough to win state. I may be wrong, but I think they finished second in district.

So yes, I think it is more about the quality, not the quantity.