PDA

View Full Version : Bbde

rockdale80
04-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Scrimmage work dominates 7th spring practice: The Aggies spent nearly the entire 2 1/2 hours of their seventh workout of the spring scrimmaging in full pads Thursday. Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman said Aggies got in 115 snaps, including 52 by the first team and 38 by the second team.

"We had a chance to look at lot of our guys," Sherman said. "It's the first true step forward on the evaluation of our football players."

Good, but could be better: Sherman said the scrimmage went well, but the Aggies lacked consistency.

"Our first defense came out and shut down our first offense for a couple of series, then the first offense came out and hit a vertical play to Roger Holland for a touchdown," Sherman said. "So the consistency wasn't what it needed to be. We had excellent plays at different times, but you have to do it play after play after play."

Up-then-down defense: A&M's defense started strong, but Sherman said one big play seemed to slow it down.

"I thought the first group played very well early, really stoned the run game and applied pressure on the quarterback," Sherman said. "Once we hit the vertical seam route to Roger Holland, it seemed to take the wind out of their sails. They have to handle some bad plays. You're going to have them in a game, but it's not the bad play that happens, it how you bounce back from it. If you are going to go in the tank on it, you are going to lose by a few points."

Ultimately, Sherman said the defense was aggressive and tackled well but gave up too many big plays.

Big play for the defense: Linebacker GARY RANDALL intercepted a Jerrod Johnson pass and returned it for a touchdown.

"[The defense] did have an interception return for a touchdown, and that usually equates to winning a football game," Sherman said. "That's one of those critical variables you like to have."

The view at the midway point: Over A&M's first seven practices of spring drills, Sherman said he liked what he saw out of the quarterbacks and running backs and believes the offensive line has made progress. He called the defensive line "solid" and believes the pass rush will be OK but must improve to handle Big 12 competition.

Sherman said A&M's secondary is hard to assess because of the people sidelined, but he likes the aggressiveness of the linebackers.

Hit of the day: Linebacker Johnathan Haynes showed his cleats to the fans on the sideline when he hit running back Bradley Stephens, who had caught a short pass over the middle. Stephens held on, but the hit caused a buzz from the fans and players.

Defensive back Will Harris gets an honorable mention for a hit on tailback Keondra Smith a few plays after Smith carried a handful of Aggies for several yards.

Catches of the day: Howard Morrow made a diving catch while cutting inside a cornerback, and Frank Avery made a sliding catch over the middle for a long gain.

But the most dramatic catch came on a long throw by Stephen McGee that safety DeMaurier Thompson tipped. Receiver Terrence McCoy made a nice adjustment on the tip and hauled in the reception.

Quote of the day: "There are men in prison that did less than that." -- defensive coordinator Joe Kines complaining to a couple of the officials to call a penalty against the offense.

Quote of the day II: "The cleats are on the bottom of the shoes." -- Kines to the linebackers who kept slipping during a warm-up drill.

Injury update: Offensive guard Lee Grimes watched from the sideline with his arm in a sling from an injury he suffered Wednesday. He will be re-evaluated Monday.

Linebacker Derrick Stephens missed this week while at home with a personal issue, Sherman said.

Tailback Mike Goodson is expected back next week after injuring his neck Saturday. Safety Jordan Peterson, who has an injured finger, is likely to be cleared to scrimmage before the spring drills end with the April 19 Maroon & White Game. Cornerback Danny Gorrer, who is recovering from a knee injury, is doing individual work and may join the team drills but will not be a part of any 11-on-11 scrimmaging.

Sherman has family business: Over the weekend, Sherman will attend his daughter Sarah's wedding to former Nebraska starting quarterback and A&M graduate assistant coach Zac Taylor in Houston.

Next: The Aggies will return to practice Tuesday in full pads.

-- RICHARD CROOME

http://www.aggiesports.com/football/Texas-A-amp-amp-M-Spring-Football-Notebook2008-04-04T00-13-28

Proud of you brother.

pirate4state
04-08-2008, 03:41 PM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80367

rockdale80
04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Oops. I didnt know. Still proud of my brother.

pirate4state
04-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Oops. I didnt know. Still proud of my brother. Me too even if he tried to play a dirty trick on me! :mad:

Ranger Mom
04-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Oops. I didnt know. Still proud of my brother.

Thanks for posting it again...I didn't see it the first go around either!!

WTG Gary!!!!!:clap: :clap:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Thank you, thank you. It is much appreciated.

Emerson1
04-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I had an interception once

bandera7
04-08-2008, 11:36 PM
me too Emerson. It felt cool. But it was just high school, and I didnt bring it to the house...congrats Gary

coach
04-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Thank you, thank you. It is much appreciated.

good job i just want to know did u high step it into the endzone

3ABirdMan
04-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Maybe a little Heisman pose at the end? :D

Congrats, and good luck, and STAY HEALTHY!

Phil C
04-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Way to go Bbde! Keep up the good work. :clap: :clap: :clap: