4A Division I - Grapevine 22, Bay City 0
4A Division II - Stephenville 34, La Marque 7
3A Division I - Aledo 14, Cuero 7
3A Division II - Newton 21, Daingerfield 0
2A Division I - Omaha Paul Pewitt 28, Brookshire-Royal 26
2A Division II - Celina 21, Elysian Fields 0
1A - Tenaha 20, Wheeler 13
6-Man - Trinidad 62, Borden County 16

Does anyone else feel like this was just yesterday?

These were the state champions from my first full season on the internet message boards (also the year my 2A rankings started)

Amazing to see how things have changed and not changed. That was the season i met Bearcat and i think Gobbla (maybe it was the next season) both of whom later on created this site (with matt and jacket)

Cedric Benson was a sophomore sensation, leading Midland Lee to the first of 3 straight state titles

The team Lee played in the final, SA MacArthur, had only been notified they would be a replacement 48 hours prior, after the team that beat them (Katy) was found to have used an ineligible player (a non-starter at that). KT2000, owner of 5ATexasFootball.com and a friend of mine, was still in school there that year.

Stephenville ended La Marque's 3-year reign over Denison, with QB Kelan Luker and Co. setting a national record for most yards gained (8,000+). Luker went on to play at SMU before leaving to join a rock band

Bearcat's Aledo team beat Gobbla's Cuero in the title game, and before long moved up to 4A (where coach Buchanan has continued his winning ways)

Newton won its first state title since 1974 (interestingly, also the year Celina won it's first title) over another team returning to the big game after a good little while (Daingerfield)

Perhaps even bigger news, Sealy, in the first year of split divisions, didn't even make it past the first round, ending the defense of their four straight state titles

Omaha Paul Pewitt, after starting 1-3 in its first year back from 3A, beat Brookshire-Royal in a tight match in the first year of split championships for 3A and 2A. The semifinal team Royal beat, Mart, lost for the last time until the 2000 title game against Celina. Celina's record streak also started this season, after a 24-13 loss to rival Pilot Point

Celina won its first of four straight titles, allowing only 19 points in the post-season (with 4 shutouts)

Tenaha (1A) had a great season behind a record-setting QB, and fellow east Texas team Trinidad dominated the post-season to win their first state title.

seems like just yesterday

Phil C
04-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Time. It just keeps marching along. You can't stop it.

44INAROW
04-08-2008, 01:19 PM
That's also the year Cuero won the Gordon Wood Award :) and yes - it seems like yesterday.. time if flying by

Ranger Mom
04-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Midland Lee 54 - 0???

I bet that was UGLY!!!!!

Phil C
04-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Man the years go by fast. It was this time ten years ago that we lost our unborn baby. :(

Worse day of my life.

Ranger Mom
04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Man the years go by fast. It was this time ten years ago that we lost our unborn baby. :(

Worse day of my life.

I didn't know about that Phil C!

My condolences 10 years later!!:(

big daddy russ
04-08-2008, 10:56 PM
It's crazy that it's been a decade. Ten years ago today, I was about a month away from graduating HS.

Diocletian
04-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It's crazy that it's been a decade. Ten years ago today, I was about a month away from graduating HS.

me too, i hate getting old...

Old Tiger
04-09-2008, 05:41 AM
I remember Newton beating Rockdale that year in the 3rd round :(

charlesrixey
04-09-2008, 08:47 AM
anyone remember chavis mccollister?

or Patrick Hutka?

Kyle Herm?

good stories for each

Cat22
04-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue

Newton was solid that year.

Phil C
04-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Diocletian

It beats the alternative. Trust me. ;)

buff4life
04-09-2008, 09:55 AM
I think that was the year Cuero beat Giddings in the semis

charlesrixey
08-14-2008, 10:42 AM
yes, i do believe giddings was 13-1 that year

Maroon87
08-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Midland Lee 54 - 0???

I bet that was UGLY!!!!!

MacArthur had actually lost in the semis to Katy, but Katy was found to have used an ineligible player and was disqualified. MacArthur had very short notice that they were going to play this game.

Highschoolfan78
08-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
yes, i do believe giddings was 13-1 that year

yep 13-10.. giddings had the lead 10-0 going into the fourth right?

Old Tiger
08-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Wasn't that Midland Lee game played at DKR and it was Cedric Bensons soph. year right?

mistanice
08-14-2008, 11:55 AM

and Diboll in the 2nd round at SFA Homer Bryce :( 34-10

WTF-82
08-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
5A Division I - Duncanville 24, Converse Judson 21
5A Division II - Midland Lee 54, San Antonio MacArthur 0
4A Division I - Grapevine 22, Bay City 0
4A Division II - Stephenville 34, La Marque 7
3A Division I - Aledo 14, Cuero 7
3A Division II - Newton 21, Daingerfield 0
2A Division I - Omaha Paul Pewitt 28, Brookshire-Royal 26
2A Division II - Celina 21, Elysian Fields 0
1A - Tenaha 20, Wheeler 13
6-Man - Trinidad 62, Borden County 16

Does anyone else feel like this was just yesterday?

These were the state champions from my first full season on the internet message boards (also the year my 2A rankings started)

Amazing to see how things have changed and not changed. That was the season i met Bearcat and i think Gobbla (maybe it was the next season) both of whom later on created this site (with matt and jacket)

Cedric Benson was a sophomore sensation, leading Midland Lee to the first of 3 straight state titles

The team Lee played in the final, SA MacArthur, had only been notified they would be a replacement 48 hours prior, after the team that beat them (Katy) was found to have used an ineligible player (a non-starter at that). KT2000, owner of 5ATexasFootball.com and a friend of mine, was still in school there that year.

Stephenville ended La Marque's 3-year reign over Denison, with QB Kelan Luker and Co. setting a national record for most yards gained (8,000+). Luker went on to play at SMU before leaving to join a rock band

Bearcat's Aledo team beat Gobbla's Cuero in the title game, and before long moved up to 4A (where coach Buchanan has continued his winning ways)

Newton won its first state title since 1974 (interestingly, also the year Celina won it's first title) over another team returning to the big game after a good little while (Daingerfield)

Perhaps even bigger news, Sealy, in the first year of split divisions, didn't even make it past the first round, ending the defense of their four straight state titles

Omaha Paul Pewitt, after starting 1-3 in its first year back from 3A, beat Brookshire-Royal in a tight match in the first year of split championships for 3A and 2A. The semifinal team Royal beat, Mart, lost for the last time until the 2000 title game against Celina. Celina's record streak also started this season, after a 24-13 loss to rival Pilot Point

Celina won its first of four straight titles, allowing only 19 points in the post-season (with 4 shutouts)

Tenaha (1A) had a great season behind a record-setting QB, and fellow east Texas team Trinidad dominated the post-season to win their first state title.

seems like just yesterday

WTF-82
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
1998 Man you had to bring this one up Monahans lost to the state champion Aledo 21-7 in a Semifinal game were we turned the ball over couple of times inside aledo 10 yard line I still have nightmares of this this one was my younger brothers team so it meant alot. RRRRRRRR oh well go Loboes.

NastySlot
08-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Wasn't that Midland Lee game played at DKR and it was Cedric Bensons soph. year right?

if i remember right it was at texas stadium.........mac...was a real last minute fill in for katy.... katy had defeated mac in the semis..........and was forced to forfeit the win for a uil rules violation.....mac had already put the equipment up and taken the decals off the helmets.........they were routed.

JR2004
08-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian

Gosh it has been a good while come to think of it. I really don't remember too much about our graduation other than most of us handing Mr. Bright (our principal) a marble as he handed us our diploma...lol. I think mine was taken away because I didn't get it in my pocket quick enough before we went onto the field for graduation. :doh:

Did you go back for the 10 year reunion this year at Spring Ho? I heard about it a few weeks beforehand, but really didn't care to go back and my mother was up here visiting that weekend anyhow.

rockdale80
08-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by mistanice
and Diboll in the 2nd round at SFA Homer Bryce :( 34-10

And Daingerfield for the state championship 21-0. I remember the Rockdale loss to Newton ... 32-17. :(

Pick6
08-15-2008, 10:56 AM

I'm pretty sure that Midland Lee played at DKR Benson's Sr year.

Old Tiger
08-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
if i remember right it was at texas stadium.........mac...was a real last minute fill in for katy.... katy had defeated mac in the semis..........and was forced to forfeit the win for a uil rules violation.....mac had already put the equipment up and taken the decals off the helmets.........they were routed. Okay that's the game got my years confused