PDA

View Full Version : Why T.O. is overrated

Sweetwater Red
04-08-2008, 12:43 PM
:devil:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3328008

Some recent "best of" lists have been putting Terrell Owens in the same sentence as Jerry Rice. What are these people thinking?

Rice, a member of the NFL 75th Anniversary Team, has won three Super Bowl titles and been named a Super Bowl MVP.

The one time in Owens' 12-year career his team reached a Super Bowl, it got there without him. That tells you everything you need to know about T.O.

Since entering the NFL in 1996 with San Francisco, Owens has piled up some remarkable numbers. His 129 career receiving touchdowns trail only Rice and Cris Carter. He's ninth all time in catches (882) and 10th in yards (13,070).

And, along the way, he has destroyed two football teams.

By 2003, the 49ers had enough of his act. After joining the Eagles in 2004, it took him only a year and a half to estrange himself from the team.

With T.O., it's not about winning, it's about T.O. And that's only occasionally conducive to winning. Whether he's questioning Jeff Garcia's sexuality, blasting Donovan McNabb's Super Bowl performance or doing sit-ups for TV cameras on his front lawn, Owens generally finds himself making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Early in his career, Owens was humble, soft-spoken and respectful to his teammates and coaches -- and deferential to Rice. But as he became more and more dangerous on the field, Owens became more and more unpredictable off it.

In 2000 and 2001, he posted consecutive 1,400-yard seasons, something only Rice and Marvin Harrison have achieved. He looked every bit like a budding Hall of Famer. But he changed. And most of what he accomplished on the field began to be overshadowed by his increasingly erratic behavior off it.

"He started out as 90 percent Terrell and 10 percent T.O.," a former coach said. "A few years later, he was 90 percent T.O. and 10 percent Terrell."

Owens began criticizing his coaches, ripping his teammates and shredding team chemistry, which effectively neutralized his on-field pyrotechnics.

That's why Owens is one of the most overrated wide receivers in NFL history.

No matter how many passes he catches, no matter how many touchdowns he scores, no matter how many Pro Bowls he's selected to, he always ends up hurting his team more than he helps it.

"He's like a wild bronco," former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason said. "Every cowboy thinks he can control him, but there are some broncos that nobody can saddle."

And by the way, during his two years in Dallas, he has dropped 27 passes, according to Stats, LLC. That's more than anybody else in the league (Cleveland's Braylon Edwards is second with 20). And, sometimes, all you have to do is cover Owens to render him ineffective. Take Eagles cornerback Lito Sheppard. When the Cowboys played the Eagles last season without Sheppard on Nov. 4 in Philly, Owens caught 10 balls for 174 yards with one touchdown. On Dec. 16 in Dallas, Sheppard shut down Owens, who caught only two passes for 37 yards.

Owens began his career playing alongside Rice, who didn't have to brag to convince people he was the greatest receiver of all time. The 49ers won playoff games with Rice and T.O. in 1996, 1997 and 1998, advancing to the NFC Championship Game in 1997.

But without Rice, Owens has hardly won a thing. During the past seven seasons, Owens has been in uniform for just one postseason victory. His lifetime playoff record is 4-7 -- and of those four wins, three came in the wild-card round. And in four of his past six postseason games -- the biggest games of his career -- this alleged superstar had 49 or fewer receiving yards.

His total postseason record without Rice is 1-5. Since leaving San Francisco, Owens has not won a playoff game.

The 2004 Eagles were forced to play their first two postseason games without an injured Owens and won both easily. With Owens back, they lost 24-21 to the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXIX. Owens had a big game (9 catches for 122 yards), but instead of showing disappointment about the loss, he celebrated his performance in his postgame news conference.

"Nobody in the world gave me a chance," he crowed after the game. "God is good. God is great."

Why so happy after a loss? Because 9-for-122 matters far more to T.O. than a 24-21 loss in the Super Bowl.

Maybe that's why during the past nine years, Owens' teams have won more postseason games without him than with him.

Since joining the Cowboys, Owens is 0-2 in the postseason, with just six catches for 75 yards in two playoff games. In his past four playoff games, he has only one touchdown catch, which came last season in a loss at home to the Giants. Owens, who will be 35 in December and is going into the last year of his contract with the Cowboys, makes for a big show in Big D -- until the big games come around.

"When it comes to this game, I'm the best in the field," Owens sang in a 2006 rap single.

If being the best means ignoring your coaches, insulting your teammates, failing to produce in the playoffs and dropping more passes than anybody else in the league, he's absolutely right.

JasperDog94
04-08-2008, 12:56 PM
I take it that Sal's not a fan of TO?;)

Sweetwater Red
04-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I take it that Sal's not a fan of TO?;)

Tell me about it. I bet he doesn't plan on attending any functions
that TO might show up to any time soon.:D

Phil C
04-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't think anyone can be spoken in the same sentence as Jerry Rice but I am glad that T.O. plays for Dallas.

SINTON81
04-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I didn't need any proof to know that T.O. was overrated, but thank for the info anyway.:D :D

Bull19
04-08-2008, 02:23 PM
T.O. is the best player in the NFL

g$$
04-09-2008, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Bull19

Is that a joke? Care to start a list & debate it?

NO WAY you can say that with a straight face. I'll stop now, y'all know I agree with the article, period. Same stuff I have said & posted for years. You will never win a SB with TO on your team.

"If being the best means ignoring your coaches, insulting your teammates, failing to produce in the playoffs and dropping more passes than anybody else in the league, he's absolutely right." --from ESPN article above

Old Tiger
04-09-2008, 05:01 AM
Marvin Harrison, TO, and Chad Johnson are the three best receivers in the league right now.

themsu97
04-09-2008, 05:29 AM
TO and Johnson are good... very good... and they are only very good because they have big numbers for fantasy football... Moss is every bit as good...

Harrison is great and Reggie Wayne is becoming very good as well...
TO is just not a winner...like Moss...

Old Tiger
04-09-2008, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
TO and Johnson are good... very good... and they are only very good because they have big numbers for fantasy football... Moss is every bit as good...
That's because FF doesn't track on field/off field issues and just goes by stats. ;)

Originally posted by themsu97
TO is just not a winner...like Moss... Both 0-1 in super bowls :D

waterboy
04-09-2008, 07:35 AM
I agree with everything Sweetwater Red has said. I never liked him, and still don't, but as long as he's a Cowboy I'll pull for him. The only reason I want him to be successful is because he's a Cowboy. Other than that I wouldn't care if he fell off the side of the earth.

Silverback 04
04-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't care for him personally, however, if he can help the Boys win I'm glad to have him, dropped balls and all. Heck i remember when Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry and hired Jimmie Johnson, of the college team that I most despised, . Damn near killed myself on the spot and hated those 2 knuckleheads right up until they won their first Super Bowl. Funny how things change. Because of free agency, guys you hate wind up on your team and next thing you know, you win the Sb and then you're practically bet friends.

g$$
04-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Marvin Harrison, TO, and Chad Johnson are the three best receivers in the league right now.

Harrison is on down side of great career & hurt. I would throw Steve Smith (Carolina) & Andre Johnson (Houston) in that mix, & of course Randy Moss too.

Funny how some forget all previous transgressions when a certain player plays for "their" team....

Old Tiger
04-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Harrison is on down side of great career & hurt. I would throw Steve Smith (Carolina) & Andre Johnson (Houston) in that mix, & of course Randy Moss too.

Funny how some forget all previous transgressions when a certain player plays for "their" team.... True the injury bug is catching up with Harrison which is sad.

I don't think I can throw Steve Smith in there and it is still early for Andre Johnson IMO.

g$$
04-09-2008, 05:13 PM
True the injury bug is catching up with Harrison which is sad.

I don't think I can throw Steve Smith in there and it is still early for Andre Johnson IMO.

Steve Smith is special - just needs a qb that can get him the ball. He can play with any of the others listed. Andre Johnson is definitely in the argument - very good, young, & huge. Has played on bad teams where he is shining light, but maybe that will change soon.

espn1
04-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Football like any other business is about supply and demand. If T.O. produces and draws a larger paycheck than everyone else then he's the best. If he draws the second biggest pay check then he's number two. Get the picture. There's no such thing as being overrated. You either pay him what you think he's worth or you find some one else. End of story.

g$$
04-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by espn1
Football like any other business is about supply and demand. If T.O. produces and draws a larger paycheck than everyone else then he's the best. If he draws the second biggest pay check then he's number two. Get the picture. There's no such thing as being overrated. You either pay him what you think he's worth or you find some one else. End of story.

All in eyes of beholder...Jerry Jones will pay it, but how many other teams would? How many others would even consider Pacman Jones? JJ is his own man - "just win baby". But now going on 11 or 12 years without a playoff victory too.

That does not necessarliy mean TO is the best or 2nd or 3rd or whatever. Money is relative here. Look at the crazy salaries in every sport. Does not always equate to absolute best player.

Is Shaq at this point in career one of the top 5 NBA players? NO

Emerson1
04-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Look at the crazy salaries in every sport. Does not always equate to absolute best player.

1. Kevin Garnett Boston
$23,750,000
2. Michael Finley Dallas / San Antonio
$21,696,750
3. Stephon Marbury New York
$20,109,375
-. Allen Iverson Denver
$20,109,375
5. Shaquille O'Neal Phoenix
$20,000,000
6. Jason Kidd Dallas
$19,728,000
7. Jermaine O'Neal Indiana
$19,710,000
8. Chris Webber Golden State
$19,596,244
9. Kobe Bryant LA Lakers
$19,490,625
10. Tim Duncan San Antonio
$19,014,187

Not in the top 30

LeBron James
$13,041,250

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

g$$
04-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
1. Kevin Garnett Boston
$23,750,000
2. Michael Finley Dallas / San Antonio
$21,696,750
3. Stephon Marbury New York
$20,109,375
-. Allen Iverson Denver
$20,109,375
5. Shaquille O'Neal Phoenix
$20,000,000
6. Jason Kidd Dallas
$19,728,000
7. Jermaine O'Neal Indiana
$19,710,000
8. Chris Webber Golden State
$19,596,244
9. Kobe Bryant LA Lakers
$19,490,625
10. Tim Duncan San Antonio
$19,014,187

Not in the top 30

LeBron James
$13,041,250

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

Exactly my point...look at some of the names on that list.

IMO top 5 players in NBA:
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
Steve Nash
LeBron James
Chris Paul

...& many others like Duncan, D. Wade, T-Mac, Amare Stoudamire, Dirk, Boozer, D. Howard, etc.

PHS Wildcats
04-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Bull19

Now I had my joke for the day:clap:

Old Tiger
04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Exactly my point...look at some of the names on that list.

IMO top 5 players in NBA:
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
Steve Nash
LeBron James
Chris Paul

...& many others like Duncan, D. Wade, T-Mac, Amare Stoudamire, Dirk, Boozer, D. Howard, etc. How can you not have a top 5 with duncan. He is one of the best all time.

My top 5(in no order)
Kobe
LeBron
Duncan
Yao(when healthy)
Paul

I'm not a nash fan

g$$
04-10-2008, 03:04 AM
How can you not have a top 5 with duncan. He is one of the best all time.

My top 5(in no order)
Kobe
LeBron
Duncan
Yao(when healthy)
Paul

I'm not a nash fan

Duncan is still very good but in decline, had some foot problems. Not as dominant game-in & game-out. Nash has won the past 2 MVPs! Of course he belongs on this list - watch Phoenix without him & see how they do. Makes it all happen & clutch. List is subjective, & Yao is right there, but I like my 5 for now. Garnett is a beast trying to win 1st title.

Old Tiger
04-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Duncan is still very good but in decline, had some foot problems. Not as dominant game-in & game-out. Nash has won the past 2 MVPs! Of course he belongs on this list - watch Phoenix without him & see how they do. Makes it all happen & clutch. List is subjective, & Yao is right there, but I like my 5 for now. Garnett is a beast trying to win 1st title. Averaging a double double is on the decline? :D

19.6 ppg(2 less points than career average)
11.4 rebpg(.4 less rebounds than career average)

g$$
04-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Averaging a double double is on the decline? :D

19.6 ppg(2 less points than career average)
11.4 rebpg(.4 less rebounds than career average)

Tim Duncan is still a beast - one of the best PFs to ever play, along with Karl Malone, Barkley, etc. Maybe the best, we'll see over time. But he is not the game-changer he once was. This is not a "dog" Tim Duncan post, I like the guy & love his fundamentally sound game. Father Time catches up to us all. He still has some good years left but his best years are behind him. And they were great years too. 4 rings right?

Why the hate for Nash? Guy can flat play in my book.

nobogey72
04-10-2008, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Tim Duncan is still a beast - one of the best PFs to ever play, along with Karl Malone, Barkley, etc. Maybe the best, we'll see over time. But he is not the game-changer he once was. This is not a "dog" Tim Duncan post, I like the guy & love his fundamentally sound game. Father Time catches up to us all. He still has some good years left but his best years are behind him. And they were great years too. 4 rings right?

Why the hate for Nash? Guy can flat play in my book.

Did you see the old footage the other night of Nash when he was in college and competing in the 3 point contest just before the Nat'l Championship game? 23 of 25. That was sick.

crzyjournalist03
04-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Nash has won the past 2 MVPs!

Not exactly...he won two in a row before some big German won it and choked in the playoffs...