PDA

View Full Version : Dear Memphis,

JasperDog94
04-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Free throws are just that...free...and they DO count.

Sincerely,

NCAA Championship Trophy

eppy 12
04-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

Sincerely,

NCAA Championship Trophy :clap: :clap: :D :kiss:

Fotbol
04-08-2008, 10:29 AM
And to let a guy shoot a 3, when you're up bye 3 is plain ole bad coaching, foul, foul, foul:(

NastySlot
04-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Fotbol
And to let a guy shoot a 3, when you're up bye 3 is plain ole bad coaching, foul, foul, foul:(

I think they were trying to foul the guy with the ball before he passed it off.

eagles_victory
04-08-2008, 10:36 AM
And to let a guy shoot a 3, when you're up bye 3 is plain ole bad coaching, foul, foul, foul:( not to mention not calling a timeout and trying to set up a play with 2.1 seconds left after the shot went in. Sure the likely hood of them scoring with 2.1 isnt good but they could of got a better shot then Dozier one of their big men doing a half court heave. They still had 2 timeouts left.

eagles_victory
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
I think they were trying to foul the guy with the ball before he passed it off. No they werent if you watch the video his momentum is what made him fall and Rose is holding his hands up trying not to touch him.

JasperDog94
04-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Sure the likely hood of them scoring with 2.1 isnt good ... not good, but see Duke.;)

eagles_victory
04-08-2008, 10:49 AM
not good, but see Duke.;) Yea and there are quite a few other examples where it worked. Almost every team has 3 or 4 plays they have drawn up for that exact situation that they work on at least once a week. That was a huge wasted opportunity not calling a timeout there. Like you said Duke also UConn in 90 Valpo in 98 for other examples.

Maroon87
04-08-2008, 10:57 AM
I think they were trying to foul the guy with the ball before he passed it off.

To me, that was the most incredible part of the play....not the shot, but the fact that Collins was able to get it to Chalmers at all.

NastySlot
04-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
No they werent if you watch the video his momentum is what made him fall and Rose is holding his hands up trying not to touch him.

i must have misunderstood calipari in the post game conference...I thought he said that were trying to foul but the player with ball did a good job of getting a way...doesn't it look like the player falls before he passes it.....maybe i was looking at something else.

Adidas410s
04-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Sincerely,

NCAA Championship Trophy
That's not what cost them the game.
1. Drive the baseline more in the 2nd half. You did it twice...it worked twice.
2. Dorsey's stupid foul was good in regulation (37% FT shooter) but killed them in OT.
3. They allowed Kansas to penetrate and take the ball to the basket consistently in the past few minutes. Kansas got tight in the final 10 minutes and stopped hitting their shots. Don't give up easy baskets...make them keep taking a 15 ft jumper. Heck...let 'em shoot 3's. They were 1-9 before hitting their final 2 shots.
4. Use a timeout at the end of the game. You have them.

Phil C
04-08-2008, 11:39 AM

I agree. I remember a few years ago in a critical playoff game Dallas led by three over the Suns in the last few seconds. Nash got the inbound pass and ran toward the other end. Dirk was hollering for his man to foul but he just ran along Nash who got off a last second three point shot that tied the game that went into OT and Dallas lost it in OT. A critical mistake indeed.

JasperDog94
04-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
2. Dorsey's stupid foul was good in regulation (37% FT shooter) but killed them in OT.
3. They allowed Kansas to penetrate and take the ball to the basket consistently in the past few minutes. Kansas got tight in the final 10 minutes and stopped hitting their shots. Don't give up easy baskets...make them keep taking a 15 ft jumper. Heck...let 'em shoot 3's. They were 1-9 before hitting their final 2 shots.
4. Use a timeout at the end of the game. You have them. Bottom line for me is this: If you don't go 1 for 6 from the free throw line at the end of the game, you win.

4x100jackets
04-08-2008, 11:56 AM
THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS !!!

JasperDog94
04-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 4x100jackets
THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS !!! uhhhhh....what?:confused: :confused: :confused:

injuredinmelee
04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
now i wish i would have watched the game.

coachc45
04-08-2008, 12:34 PM
4. Use a timeout at the end of the game. You have them.

And none of that matters if they don't go 1 for 5 with their best 2 free throw shooters in the final minute or so. Free throws cost them that game bottom line.

PHS Wildcats
04-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by coachc45
And none of that matters if they don't go 1 for 5 with their best 2 free throw shooters in the final minute or so. Free throws cost them that game bottom line.

I agree. If you just go 2 of 5 from the ft line, you're National Champs!!!

NastySlot
04-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
I agree. If you just go 2 of 5 from the ft line, you're National Champs!!!

then we should be saying if they could have made one more free throw they would have been champs?.....i don't know may one or two more defensive stops.......

JasperDog94
04-09-2008, 11:51 AM
then we should be saying if they could have made one more free throw they would have been champs?.....i don't know may one or two more defensive stops....... I think the point is that free throws are just that...free. That's basic fundamental basketball. Make your free throws and you win.

Adidas410s
04-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by coachc45
Do all of those things...and the 1 of 5 on FT's to end the game doesn't matter. Heck...just do #3 and you win. It doesn't matter if you don't make a single FT at that point if Kansas can't hit a 15 ft shot (which they werent) to get themselves back in the game.

coachc45
04-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Do all of those things...and the 1 of 5 on FT's to end the game doesn't matter. Heck...just do #3 and you win. It doesn't matter if you don't make a single FT at that point if Kansas can't hit a 15 ft shot (which they werent) to get themselves back in the game.

You can play great defense and the other team still score. In Basketball, just as in life, I can only control what I do.... and making the simplest shot in basketball is something I can control. Did all those things contribute to the loss, sure..... but the thing they could control, make free throws, is what cost them.

Analyze all you want, and you always do...... but Fundamentals win and lose games, and free throws are the most fundamental part of basketball.